Do power cables make a difference?

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Looks like a Quality cable was used.

Good eye. The white cable behind the PC is a very nice USB cable going to the DAC.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Speaking of power cords, it is time to go home and power the system on for tomorrow night's listening. :)

Just installed my new niagara 5000, and the system is fired up and ready to go!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited April 2018
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Speaking of power cords, it is time to go home and power the system on for tomorrow night's listening. :)

Just installed my new niagara 5000, and the system is fired up and ready to go!

:o:o:o NICE!!

What a device. ( A “Low-Z Power Noise-Dissipation System.” ) B)

It has a diagram to show which plug from what should go where. B)

I hope to get one on the used market in about 10 years or more if I live that long. ;)

I'll bet that conditioner makes a change!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited April 2018
    Can someone please kill this thread, it’s gone to the 5417732. Someone said “if I can’t hear the difference then don’t assume someone else can’t.” And I’ll agree with that thinking.

And if one where spending the coin on equipment in the hundreds of thousands, yes they likely aren’t going to use lamp cord and $9000 power cords are the norm for amps costing $140k.

I spent a paltry $900 on cables and can’t hear a difference, maybe I just have piss poor equipment and/or poor hearing. I’m keeping the cable upgrades basically because they look pretty and are electrically superior.

I’m here basically because I’m a big fan of Polk Audio, cost effective high value quality sound. I think there is such a thing as low cost high impact in the audio industry, certainly Andrew Jones knows a thing or two. But for me I draw a line in the sand. Cables are just conductors carrying electrons hopefully properly sized pipes for the current flow for each type of application.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Tony M wrote: »
    Wasn't there a fad 10+ years ago about putting a quarter on the front inside edge of front speakers to help with something?

Maybe a felt circle pad?

Or tracing around the edge of them with a green felt-tip marker?
    I have trouble keeping up with all of them there audiophile tweaks.

:|
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    "Them" meaning CDs?

I'll poke back in here for just a second because of a post 2? pages ago... The one with the screenshot capture about "difference files".

This idea truly intrigues me since some subjectiveness can be removed from the equation. Actual bandwidth changes can be observed with this method. Thus can easily be used as "proof".

*Granted, all ears aren't created equal, and every rig is different, but I opine that the information from the difference files could direct a potential buyer to a narrow group of options that would fit their needs for their system.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2018
    There's a lot of signal processing going on between the source, the reproduction of that source, and the recording of that difference file -- I'm just saying.

It would bea tad more reassuring if one stayed in one domain (i.e., in this case, digital) but I still wouldn't take this as a gold standard for anything. I'd also be curious as to what sort of objective measurement one would apply to the data in the difference file.

All of which, I'd say, is just another argument for the philosophy of "one listens with one's ears, so why not make one's choices with one's ears?" :)
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Is there any documented measured difference? I've see other threads asking this question and have even asked myself, and I can't recall ever seeing documentation showing an acoustic difference. I know in car audio, you can choke an amp with too small a wire, but in those cases the amps can draw over 200A@14vdc. Any kind of draw like that in a home audio amp happens internally, after the transformer/rectifier.

Does it matter ? Many things in audio "measure" differently, but still not audible. There are some things that measurements simply can't tell you. Like soundstage width and height, how well it will gel with the rest of your system, clarity and dynamics, decay. All that may not apply to power cables specifically, but do to cables in general.

Power cables, like all cables, add or subtract from the overall sound. To what degree depends on many variables. Your not going to put a 200 buck power cord on a 400 buck receiver, know what I'm saying ?

The more revealing your system gets, the more these other changes become more noticeable, and the more they will contribute to the overall sound. Audio, being subjective as it is too, is hard to attach blanket statements to. Just sayin'....because most who deny xyz in audio, either never tried them, never tried them under the right scenarios, or simply have no idea what they are listening for.

I say "under the right scenarios", because some may just do as I explained with a 200 buck power cord and a 400 buck receiver. The better your system gets, the more power cords can and will make a difference, maybe small, maybe large, depends.

So you could with total certainty tell a stock cord from a much higher priced premium cord,of your choice, on your system simply from listening, and not having prior knowledge of which was being used?

(do not need tons of qualifiers, just could you or not?)

• mhardy6647
    You know (and FWIW) -- I have never, ever decided what to hook to what based on the cost (actual dollar cost or MSRP) of the components in question.

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,028
    K_M wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Is there any documented measured difference? I've see other threads asking this question and have even asked myself, and I can't recall ever seeing documentation showing an acoustic difference. I know in car audio, you can choke an amp with too small a wire, but in those cases the amps can draw over 200A@14vdc. Any kind of draw like that in a home audio amp happens internally, after the transformer/rectifier.

Does it matter ? Many things in audio "measure" differently, but still not audible. There are some things that measurements simply can't tell you. Like soundstage width and height, how well it will gel with the rest of your system, clarity and dynamics, decay. All that may not apply to power cables specifically, but do to cables in general.

Power cables, like all cables, add or subtract from the overall sound. To what degree depends on many variables. Your not going to put a 200 buck power cord on a 400 buck receiver, know what I'm saying ?

The more revealing your system gets, the more these other changes become more noticeable, and the more they will contribute to the overall sound. Audio, being subjective as it is too, is hard to attach blanket statements to. Just sayin'....because most who deny xyz in audio, either never tried them, never tried them under the right scenarios, or simply have no idea what they are listening for.

I say "under the right scenarios", because some may just do as I explained with a 200 buck power cord and a 400 buck receiver. The better your system gets, the more power cords can and will make a difference, maybe small, maybe large, depends.

So you could with total certainty tell a stock cord from a much higher priced premium cord,of your choice, on your system simply from listening, and not having prior knowledge of which was being used?

(do not need tons of qualifiers, just could you or not?)

Yes

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    My take on this....... Set amps do not measure well therefore shouldn't sound good. In spite of that those low powered amps do seem to have quite the following don't they. I've never owned one (someday I will) so until I do I don't consider myself qualified to pass judgement on their sound. Perhaps someone that's never plugged in an aftermarket cord should do the same and reserve their comments yay or nay until they've owned something other than a standard computer cord
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    My take on this....... Set amps do not measure well therefore shouldn't sound good. In spite of that those low powered amps do seem to have quite the following don't they. I've never owned one (someday I will) so until I do I don't consider myself qualified to pass judgement on their sound. Perhaps someone that's never plugged in an aftermarket cord should do the same and reserve their comments yay or nay until they've owned something other than a standard computer cord

The "someone" you are referring to doesn't care; she just wants to stir the pot. Look at all of the replies she's received on her statements and comments. How many times does she have to be told to "buy it and try it for yourself?" Yet, here she is, not taking that advice while she just continues to troll & stirs the proverbial pot. ABsolutely ridiculous. Why waste time trying to explain anything to her any further if she clearly isn't interested in an answer (which she's been given!). I say we all do ourselves a huge favor and put @K_M on our individual ignore lists and let her continue to make her comments to herself. That's my $0.02 on her part in this thread.

TO everyone else, aside from K_M, Rock On!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Her answer as to why not try it for herself, is she really doesn't care. For someone who doesn't care, she sure seems to preach about needing someone else to prove it to her. And that we don't really hear what we hear.

Sounds like she cares A LOT, based on the amount to time and effort put into bashing others experiences, she herself cares nothing about.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    mantis wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    mantis wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It doesn't make any logical sense in my mind in regards to how a power cable could make this much of an improvement in stereo imaging. But wow. Crazy.

They don't make huge differences unless the factory cord is poorly constructed and picking up interference. This is where aftermarket power chords make bigger differences. EMI and RF interference sucks and can ruin your sound quality. Your amp could care less where the signal is coming from. if it comes in then it's in.

Of course, the amp cares about the electricity coming in. Your comments on the subject matter indicate a lack of understanding.
    You misunderstood my comment, you should read it again. I said nothing about the power coming in, I talked about signal transfer.

You are not making any sense.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    It doesn't make any logical sense in my mind in regards to how a power cable could make this much of an improvement in stereo imaging. But wow. Crazy.

I just found this AWSOME chat on Stereophile about Drews (^^^) new power cable. But maybe Drews' is a more newer model of the venom, but they are the same price. I found it convincing a lot of people HEAR the improvement and even give thoughts as to why too. ;)

I just read a few posts and said to myself, this has to be put in this thread too.

It's very interesting. And it just may shed light on your (K_M) "proof is needed, argument or statement" to prove they help stereos sound better. B)

https://www.stereophile.com/content/power-cord-experiment-1

Would love to agree. Seriously. I have found there are all types online.
    Some believe anything, with no proof, some never believe anything, and some are wanting the proof, as anything can be written up online.
    I am skeptical.

It is not a matter of money at all, but more a matter of "Why bother".
    But maybe will give a few a try......I would like to experience it firsthand

So as not mis-quote. Her outlook is "why bother", similar to she doesn't care.. But I wanted to give the proper answer as I was paraphrasing.

• K_M
    heiney9 wrote: »

I just found this AWSOME chat on Stereophile about Drews (^^^) new power cable. But maybe Drews' is a more newer model of the venom, but they are the same price. I found it convincing a lot of people HEAR the improvement and even give thoughts as to why too. ;)

I just read a few posts and said to myself, this has to be put in this thread too.

It's very interesting. And it just may shed light on your (K_M) "proof is needed, argument or statement" to prove they help stereos sound better. B)

Some believe anything, with no proof, some never believe anything, and some are wanting the proof, as anything can be written up online.
    I am skeptical.

So as not mis-quote. Her outlook is "why bother", similar to she doesn't care.. But I wanted to give the proper answer as I was paraphrasing.

My why bother attitude, is based on no one being able to step up and "Show" what they claim.
    I see you said YES to what I asked Tony.

• mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Nightfall wrote: »
    @mpitogo See what you did here? Shame. Shame. Shame.

I tried to resist... no more replies to this thread but I continue to research on my own and found this video on the subject neither negative or positive, I’d say maybe neutral. One thing I walked away with was maybe I won’t hear the difference with one cable, maybe I need to try 30 cables and try them on different components, amps, preamp, sources etc.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018

I am skeptical.

My why bother attitude, is based on no one being able to step up and "Show" what they claim.

This hobby is individual in that you need to find out for yourself what is gratifying. All people are doing is relaying their own individual experience's. Take them at face value or totally disregard, but those are their own experiences and you can't tell them they are wrong. Because they aren't yours to cast judgment on. If you want to know what your personal, individual outcome is for said situation, you need to keep an open mind (which by your tone you don't have) and try it for yourself.

It's as simple as that, always has been, always will be. If you don't care to participate on this level, then you really have no basis for making comments.

This is the umpteenth thread about this in the past 2-3 years and you still haven't tried it. That is why I label you a contrarian. You parrot the same tired circular views as day one "Shat or get off the pot".

H9
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Dayum, I wake up from hibernation (hey its what we do) to find this??
    Back to the cave I guess.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

I am skeptical.

I posted evidence from a reputable electrical engineer and musician, several posts back. But seems you either didn’t see it, or ignore it.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    How things are made and what they are made of doesn't make any difference. I am sure @K_M. Would agree.
  • K_M
    edited April 2018
  • K_M
    edited April 2018

[/quote]

[/quote]

I posted evidence from a reputable electrical engineer and musician, several posts back. But seems you either didn’t see it, or ignore it. [/quote]

You misunderstand what type of "proof" I was asking for.
    I asked if anyone could provide proof beyond their anecdotal account of being able to identify, a stock cable from an upgraded one.

In other words, simply put, can any of your guys in the forum identify cables based not on appearance, but based solely on listening to music?

• K_M
    This is all Clipdat's fault. He installed a Shunyata Venom power cable on his CD player, and was amazed at the improvement he heard. Just wait until this new cable settles into its new home, and he puts the cables on his other gear. Then he will say he really is amazed at the improvement, and others will say he is just imagining the improvement.

Can't wait until I get home tonight to listen to some imaginary improvements. :)

Ya if it was only that simple.
    That does nothing to explain guys hearing big differences, when aware of the cable brand, but not being able to identify them when not aware.

• afterburnt
    edited April 2018

[/quote]

I posted evidence from a reputable electrical engineer and musician, several posts back. But seems you either didn’t see it, or ignore it. [/quote]

You misunderstand what type of "proof" I was asking for.
    I asked if anyone could provide proof beyond their anecdotal account of being able to identify, a stock cable from an upgraded one.

In other words, simply put, can any of your guys in the forum identify cables based not on appearance, but based solely on listening to music?

[/quote]

Wait, huh,what, I thought that's what they have been saying.

Power cables do matter, I put a fancy power cable on this Yamaha and now the sub don't werk.
  • afterburnt

That's deep
  • heiney9
    afterburnt wrote: »

That's deep

So deep, I wish I had my waders on.