Do power cables make a difference?

Comments

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I've Really been doing some digging about power these days. I have very bad power in my area. I came across an interview with Garth Powell of audioquest, formerly Furman. He talked about how they measure for differences in high end power cables. I took a screen shot, and I’ve been saving it for this exact moment.

Feast your eyes on this!
    fo1tqohfmrbh.png

The funniest comment I’ve read on here is “I have no experience with high end power cords” but I’m still going to argue about something I have no experience with.... yeahhhhh ooookkkkk LOL

So what did it sound like????
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Yes. 18ga stock vs 14ga Shunyata.
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    is your CDP’s “new” cord heavier than stocker? Regrettably most of my gear requires modding* (an IEC socket) to swap around power cords.

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    afterburnt wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    I would point out again, if it's pointless to argue, why are you arguing? People hear what they hear - I don't understand trying to convince them otherwise.

My point, I will make it quite simple for you........
    All cable debates are pointless. People are simply arguing over anecdotal accounts, rather than something concrete or proven.

A grain of salt type of thing.

Then why do you comment?

Probably for the same reason that you comment on my comments....?
  • Clipdat
    Did you order a Shunyata Venom 14 from Music Direct yet?
    Probably for the same reason that you comment on my comments....?

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030

No, simply saying, pointless to argue it.

Yet, here you are with unsolicited arguing about how he didn't hear what he heard because it can't be proven to YOU.

If it's pointless to argue, why did you even respond to this thread? That's rhetorical, no need to explain :s

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    DSkip wrote: »
    Sometimes 'proof' isn't necessary. Do you think the sun will appear again tomorrow? Sure you do. There is no proof that it is going to - you simply can't prove it. However, with deductive reasoning, our expectation is that it will. Day in and day out.

Deductive reasoning would lead me to believe that all cables have a signature that presents itself on the sound, whether it be neutral or a coloration. When multiple people with different systems present similar experiences, you can deduce that the cable has an impact on the sound.

I used my deductive reasoning to expect a recent cable thread to turn into an argument. Why? I have no proof of it, but the patterns lead me to believe that we have gone way too long without one.

I guess I was right.

Do you think there is maybe frustration, over not being able to give a more definitive proof, that an individual's account is verifiable, or something entirely different?

The proof for YOU is YOU trying it for yourself. Not someone else explaining their experiences.

Why does anyone need to prove it to YOU? Why can't you prove it to YOURSELF. That's how we all experienced it.

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Clipdat
    He's afraid that if he tried it and liked the changes, then he would have to come back and say we were right?

I can't think of any other reason of why he hasn't ordered a cable to try.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    Firstly knowing her (based on her time here) she would never try it. On the off chance that she did, and noticed a difference she would either A) never admit or B.) come up with reasons why even though she heard a difference it wasn't worth the $$$ or effort or yadda, yadda, yadda.

Some people are content with what they have and others like to chase that last 2-5%. If you choose to be content that doesn't mean the others that chase that last 2-5% aren't correct in finding some of that last 5%.
  • Clipdat
    *Her, sorry.

For $100 it seems like a bit of a no-brainer. I've certainly wasted $100 on stupider things.

After I heard the improvement to the stereo imaging, and the sweet sensation that came with it, I was only wondering why I had used the stock cable for the past 5 years. Should've dabbled with aftermarket power cords much sooner.
  • heiney9
    edited April 2018
    I think we all had that revelation at one time. She's mostly here to be a contrarian on many subjects. Sort of an arm chair quarterback. All this based on her posts over the years. She only comes out when these types of threads pop up, and she always wants proof.

H9
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Clipdat wrote: »
    *Her, sorry.

For $100 it seems like a bit of a no-brainer. I've certainly wasted $100 on stupider things.

Like 100 dollar dacs?

:wink::smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Clipdat
    edited April 2018
    Well I'm still super excited about my discovery. Anyone on the fence and using a stock cable, should try upgrading their CDP or DAC cable with one of these Shunyata Venom 14 cables.

I'll happily report back when I add the other 4 into the mix for my preamp, monoblocks, and PS Audio Dectet (in that order). I wonder if I'll notice differences on those components as well?
  • heiney9
    Also keep in mind many of us have done lots of trial and error and just because you spend $200 on new cable doesn't always make it better in your rig. There are just as many misses as hits.
  • Clipdat
    That was a solid purchase that I stand behind!

And it was $89.99 not $100!
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    Like 100 dollar dacs?

:wink::smile:

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Wow this thread blew up today.
    Spend enough time in this hobby and you see that every piece of the system can make a difference. I am glad to be able to hear all of your experiences to help improve my systems.
    I plan to upgrade my power cables once I get a new rack in place. Most likely Solid Steel.
    Once that’s in place I will upgrade for the following reasons.
    1. Improved system performance
    2. Ability to get correct length of cable for your systems needs.
    3. The cables look a lot nicer-(This one is from my wife)
    4. If they are quality cables they can be reused on multiple systems for years.

In the end some people will never want to purchase or buy into cables being a difference maker. Some are cheap or haters of the subject. Sad for them.

Maybe try some Weed or Wine with your new cables. I’m sure it could help.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    @mpitogo See what you did here? Shame. Shame. Shame.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    edited April 2018
    I hope you're getting it from Doug! o:)

Definitely!
    Clipdat I am looking at the rack you got. Can’t wait for your thoughts on it.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Clipdat
    My Herbie's feet arrive today, so with any luck I will have an opportunity to work on things this weekend. Sorry for the delay.
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Definitely!
    Clipdat I am looking at the rack you got. Can’t wait for your thoughts on it.

• mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Too tired to read 8 pages... Bottom line is, no one can hear it for you - you have to hear it for yourself. If you can't/don't hear it, don't bother investing any further, but don't assume that if you can't hear it, someone else can't. And, if they can, and you can't, there's not much way of proving it to you.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Wasn't there a fad 10+ years ago about putting a quarter on the front inside edge of front speakers to help with something?

Maybe a felt circle pad?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @dolbyd I never thought of solid steel power cables. Where do you get those?
  • afterburnt
    I hope you're getting it from Doug! o:)

Yeah man Doug's stuff is bomb
  • Clipdat
    **groan**

• afterburnt
    **groan**

**fiber**
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    Too tired to read 8 pages... Bottom line is, no one can hear it for you - you have to hear it for yourself. If you can't/don't hear it, don't bother investing any further, but don't assume that if you can't hear it, someone else can't. And, if they can, and you can't, there's not much way of proving it to you.

That's why today was the first day I clicked on this thread. Been in the bustle of toooo many of these and it ain't worth my time any more.

Enjoy the music ;)

I'm out :D:D:D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    I feel like I've joined some elite group of people who have "seen the light" regarding the changes that an aftermarket power cable can bring! I'm a believer now!

I’m just going to play Hits from the Bong after I purchase Cypress Hills Album on RSD2018. Except the hip thing is now vape. By then the aural quality will transcend 2 dimensional stereo and into altered states of consciousness as I take a page out of Skinner and Maslow.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Speaking of power cords, it is time to go home and power the system on for tomorrow night's listening. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,179
    Must of been the Audioquest Pearl.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre