Do power cables make a difference?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited April 2018
    I usually insert special characters via Word & then copy 'n' paste to here (or wherever)... or just copy 'em out of google when possible.

But, yeah, a y-umlaut would be tricky. (akin to Spinal Tap's n-umlaut, with which I have had poor success in finding in a pastable form)

but, nope, didn't remember that.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited April 2018
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'd personally liken it to tires on a car. If you've never bought a higher end tire, how do you actually know that they will improve the performance of the car?
    I KNOW this one! Going from no-name garbage to TOTL Michelin grand touring tire on a basic V6 powered Tarus.

Darkest night to the brightest day difference in braking and handling. But... how does one convey that to another? I don’t know.

Ears!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    I'd personally liken it to tires on a car. If you've never bought a higher end tire, how do you actually know that they will improve the performance of the car?
    I KNOW this one! Going from no-name garbage to TOTL Michelin grand touring tire on a basic V6 powered Tarus.

Darkest night to the brightest day difference in braking and handling. But... how does one convey that to another? I don’t know.

Ears!

Consumer Reports does or used to do in-depth scientific testing on tires. I used to like the braking differences. The sticking to the road on corners comments. They did a TON of testing on tires. Snow grip, summer grip and wet grip too. ;)B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    They (Consumers Reports) used to do extensive, exhaustive tests on things like loudspeakers, too - do folks think their top picks were the subjective 'best'?

Or even tires -- does their ranking of tires match yours (this is a rhetorical question for anyone with strong opinions about tires).

In fairness, they did rate the ol' EPI 100s highly -- and the EPI 100 is a good basic loudspeaker, which sold in far greater numbers because of their high CR rating then they would have otherwise, I am sure.

Unfortunately, they may not have ever ranked flavored, sweetened gelatin products.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    The thing I remember most about Consumer Reports is that they often over-emphasized features that weren't as important to me. I would cite examples, but I am too busy celebrating Hitler's Birthday (4/20).
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Yea, I saw the decline of their audio product reviews. I don't see too many products in them besides the common I-Phones and Phone service and coverage and rates and such. The wireless age and Internet speeds are reviewed twice a year or so. They do promote Holiday products that are state of the art for that 6 months. They're always fun to look at. Some are $$$$ too.

CR is reviewing to the best of their abilities for our benefit, the consumer. Not the Sellers benefit. ;)

You can choose to open their well informed and experienced testers opinion magazine or leave it closed.

I have chosen to open every one, every month for 40 years. ;)

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    speaking of cables ZeroFidelity
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    K_M wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Here's a good analogy.

I eat grape jello and cherry jello. I like both, but grape is more satisfying to me and my tastes.

K_M comes along and asks me to prove to her grape tastes better, she can't just rely on my individual tastes as a reference point. I can't prove to her that grape will taste better to her? How would I do that?

On top of it, she's unwilling to taste grape for herself, because I can't prove to her that grape tastes better to me. Like somehow if I can prove grape tastes better to me, then she will try grape for herself.

Sounds pretty illogical to predicate whether something will align with your likes and dislikes, abilities, shortcomings, etc based on someone else's interpretation, impressions, likes, dislikes, abilities, cognitive abilities, etc.

It's a very irrational argument, and has no answer. And deserves no attention. Yet here we are trying to make an illogical premise logical. Spock would be highly disappointed.

H9
    We are talking about, whether an individual can actually identify a cable based on sound alone, and not sight. (knowing what is being used)

Who is this ‘We’?

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    edited April 2018

My why bother attitude, is based on no one being able to step up and "Show" what they claim.
    I see you said YES to what I asked Tony.

I posted evidence from a reputable electrical engineer and musician, several posts back. But seems you either didn’t see it, or ignore it.

You misunderstand what type of "proof" I was asking for.
    I asked if anyone could provide proof beyond their anecdotal account of being able to identify, a stock cable from an upgraded one.

In other words, simply put, can any of your guys in the forum identify cables based not on appearance, but based solely on listening to music?

DarqueKnight has posted nice color pics here taken from his spectrum analyzer showing the differences in power cords. You'll have to do the leg work to find them though.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,731
    edited April 2018
    Do mains fuses count? :) I'm going to start a separate thread but I let my daughter listen to a few back to back tracks with the recapped REF 50's stock fuse then the Synergestic Blue and she said...oh yeah, this is more defined.

So safe bet the cords make a difference...I know mine did....it's just going to be system dependent.
  • Viking64
    I bought one of those 7-gauge Pangea cords for my power amp. It wasn't that hard to manipulate and the instant improvement on the bottom end was *cough* SUBstantial.
  • Viking64
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You need to beat the AC-9 with a rubber mallet for a few hours before using it in order to break it in.

Initially, I plugged it directly into an old wall receptacle, and it seemed like it was going to rip it right out of the plaster/lath. HAHAHA

I ran a dedicated 20-amp home run to both my amp and my power conditioner, and now each receptacle is laying on the carpet in it's own box. Even more freedom for the AC-9. :)
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I bought one of those 7-gauge Pangea cords for my power amp. It wasn't that hard to manipulate and the instant improvement on the bottom end was *cough* SUBstantial.

Did you go with the regular AC9 or the SS version?

I keep hearing that subs are really impressive with that cable.
    Maybe they are eating Jell-O too.

Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Viking64
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Did you go with the regular AC9 or the SS version?

I keep hearing that subs are really impressive with that cable.
    Maybe they are eating Jell-O too.
    My amp's power cord is the regular AC-9. My other 3 power cords are the AC-14SE cords and my USB is a Premier SE.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    F1nut wrote: »

My why bother attitude, is based on no one being able to step up and "Show" what they claim.

I posted evidence from a reputable electrical engineer and musician, several posts back. But seems you either didn’t see it, or ignore it.

I asked if anyone could provide proof beyond their anecdotal account of being able to identify, a stock cable from an upgraded one.

In other words, simply put, can any of your guys in the forum identify cables based not on appearance, but based solely on listening to music?

DarqueKnight has posted nice color pics here taken from his spectrum analyzer showing the differences in power cords. You'll have to do the leg work to find them though.

I believe this is the beginning of his multi-part series of threads. Pictures are gone though. Part one is missing too.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/71382/studies-on-residential-power-line-noise-part-2
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited April 2018
    verb wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »

I believe this is the beginning of his multi-part series of threads. Pictures are gone though. Part one is missing too.
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/71382/studies-on-residential-power-line-noise-part-2
    No, you're not getting it. Look closer. This means he's 100% certain there's a difference, plus a weeee bit more!
    pm53vnepav45.jpg
  • verb
    I did get it.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    LOL! :)
  • Viking64
    mdaudioguy wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    I did get it.
    I demand you prove to us that you got it.

I am verb's gynecologist and I can assure you that he got it.
  • gp4jesus
    edited April 2018
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Hmmm... Now why doesn’t that surprise me? Oh that right because I’m OCD about “Mo’ bigga, mo’ betta” on most anything that carries electrify in one form or another.

Ears!

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited April 2018
    gmcman wrote: »
    Do mains fuses count? :) I'm going to start a separate thread but I let my daughter listen to a few back to back tracks with the recapped REF 50's stock fuse then the Synergestic Blue and she said...oh yeah, this is more defined.

So safe bet the cords make a difference...I know mine did....it's just going to be system dependent.

Like the 50-100 feet of cheap Romex cable behind the wall. What happens inside an audio device is also ignored. You can spend many hundreds+ on the thickest power cord with the purest conductor and lowest resistance............then all that current has to go thru a ~30 ga (at best) wire of some unknown alloy (mostly tin/ lead but some fuses use iron). Even though a fuse is only 1 inch it will have relatively high resistance compared to the power cable.

Makes you wonder what your stereo would sound like if you jumped the fuse with 99.999 ultrapure crystal free copper or silver (with Cardas solder of course). Has anyone tried that? It's risky but this should make MUCH more of a difference than just an upgraded power cord.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,731
    edited April 2018
    Like the 50-100 feet of cheap Romex cable behind the wall.

Perhaps you were referring to that differently, correct me if I'm wrong....but it's a moot point and gets beat to death out of speculation. Doesn't matter if its 50' or 500', what happens from the receptacle to the component is what's also very important. Just because one person either doesn't hear a difference on their system, or for whatever reason, chooses to ignore a proven science...doesn't give them the right to poopoo other peoples systems and tell them what they are hearing....that's just ridiculous.

It's not just a fuse in some cases, I've upgraded my cords and I could tell the difference immediately, more so on my CDP/DAC, ie, SA 8005. So by that alone, does that mean it doesn't happen? I'm not tone deaf however I'm far from being a piano tuner...lol.

Case in point, I swapped my AC5 from my Marantz CDP, (SA 8004 at the time of this incident) one day to a stock cord to compare on other components and didn't put it back. Came back days later and noticed on a very familiar track the soundstage was somewhat closed in between the speakers and sounded like it was missing that spatial sense the SDA's give. I went back to check around and noticed the cord I didn't replace and used one of my spare AC9's and while not the same as the AC5, the dynamics somewhat returned along with the openness of the soundstage, likely due to increased clarity of the incoming signal.

So with that being said...did this not happen? It wasn't placebo I can assure you.
    It's risky but this should make MUCH more of a difference that just an upgraded power cord.

In some cases it might not make any difference.

However if you look at your statement, that says it all right there. You are basing on assumption and speculation. True some fuses are likely very cheap and poor conductors, but why can a fuse get a free ride and not a power cord?

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited April 2018
    heiney9 wrote: »
    My point was with the jello analogy, why is it up to me to prove to you why something is preferred based on my own subjective interpretation. How is my preference (and proof of) somehow tied to your enjoyment or ability to discern a difference.

Probably wasn't the best based on it's face, the underlying predication stands. Why/How is proof of my experience going to somehow establish your experience? Just because I can't prove it to your liking, doesn't mean I didn't (don't) experience it.

The ultimate answer lies in trying it for yourself.

It is not up to you to prove WHY something is preferred......
    ....but asking if you have the ability to discern that same preference when not looking at what you are tasting/listening to.

Your experience does not impact mine at all for sure.

I have tried hard to find evidence beyond anecdotal accounts of improved sound, and found that there is very little evidence to support claims when unaware of what product is being used.
    Sorry if there was any misunderstanding.

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I had mistakenly thought you might have "turned the corner" with regards to you
    not being so stubborn/skeptical in your mindset about certain things here. But, as I expected, my offer has fallen on deaf eyes and blind ears... your new avatar pic is
    an appropriate expression for how you feel about this Forum, eh? :p

Anyone (@TonyM ?) want to give this a try, speak up. This is a limited-time offer, folks. Like, it's over before afternoon tea.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • gp4jesus
    I have tried hard to find evidence beyond anecdotal accounts of improved sound, and found that there is very little evidence to support claims when unaware of what product is being used.
    Blind testing* is the old fashioned term for what you’re driving at. I did that comparing* bass response of two Rotel amps, preferring one over the other.

Several made that* clear several times over. One member “extended an olive branch,” to loan you a cord to try in familiar surroundings. But you persist to the contrary.

I admire you “stickin’ to your guns.” Pity you come across as a troll, wasting people’s time.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    polrbehr wrote: »
    your new avatar pic is
    an appropriate expression for how you feel about this Forum, eh? :p

Nope, not at all.
    I quite like some in here, and like the forum, but merely feel some sadness and frustration, maybe the same some feel for me....
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    Seems like everyone is too busy to trolling on differences of opinion. Enjoy the music weather you hear a difference or not. Personally I spent $900 on cables and don’t hear a lick of difference in my Living Room 2.0.

Just picked up 11 new albums for RSD2018. Kid in a candy store but must leave it all behind for Mom’s birthday.

c0pv8ce4bb6v.jpg
    wd08jixaq5of.jpg
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,699
    I don't have these problems.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!