Best speaker wire

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,120
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    How about Himalayan salt lamps? No joke.... I was reading an article to my wife (basically making fun of) about the use of salt lamps in the listening room.... apparently it benefits sound quality. Can anyone guess what I got for Christmas?

You got married?

Yeah buddy! We snuck away to do it. Haha

Congrats man!
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,887
    edited December 2018
    How about Himalayan salt lamps? No joke.... I was reading an article to my wife (basically making fun of) about the use of salt lamps in the listening room.... apparently it benefits sound quality. Can anyone guess what I got for Christmas?

You got married?

Congrats man!

Thank you skip. I have to get into the habit of saying “wife” now.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,833
    edited December 2018
    I use one of those salt things in the family room mainly because it’s a cool looking nightlight lol...

If it does other things to help audio rock on. My wife said it’s supposed to help with anxiety and had it at her work but moved departments and didn’t have the desk space.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,888

You got married?

Congrats man!

Thank you skip. I have to get into the habit of saying “wife” now.

Congrats! Is there a Mikey jr on the way?!?
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,441
    Mikey, give your wife my number so I can properly school her on gifts for an audiophile. If she continues on the same path, for your Birthday your going to get bags of rocks for your cables. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,458
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,397
    tonyb wrote: »
    Mikey, give your wife my number so I can properly school her on gifts for an audiophile. If she continues on the same path, for your Birthday your going to get bags of rocks for your cables. :)

Seriously.....the use of the term "School".,,,,,,,, :#
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

K_M wrote: »

Seriously.....the use of the term "School".,,,,,,,, :#

...and the problem with that is...what exactly ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,833
    Technically best speaker wire is NO SPEAKER WIRE!

Active powered speakers FTW!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,098
    edited December 2018

You got married?

Congrats bro.

Hear is something from someone who has been married for 25 years. don't let her win on one thing of gear she wants moved/removed, once that happens it goes down hill quick.

Trust me I had a nice setup, before I knew I had just in-ceiling speakers.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
    mrloren wrote: »

You got married?

Congrats bro.

Hear is something from someone who has been married for 25 years. don't let her win on one thing of gear she wants moved/removed, once that happens it goes down hill quick.

Trust me I had a nice setup, before I knew I had just in-ceiling speakers.

Your doing good my man. I got regulated to the shower....with a double insulated curtain....and no soap.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • gdphotogdphoto Posts: 149
    I hooked up the DYI Furez 12/4's last night. I could only listen to them for about an hour. So far I definitely hear better base and seems to be more clarity. I'll know better when I get back home on Tuesday and give them a work out. Turns out the old Monsters were 20 feet long. Thought I cut them down to 10 feet years ago. I built a book shelf/entertainment center back in the mid nineties and the cables have been hidden. The middle 6 to 8 feet have turned dark, dark green, almost black. That surprised me. Anyway, so far I think they sound good. Do cables need to break in? I'll listen to them for a few weeks and then I'll try the MIT AVT3's and see if they sound any different.
    Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
    Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
    Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
    Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
    Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,340
    gdphoto wrote: »
    Anyway, so far I think they sound good. Do cables need to break in?

And he opens the next can of worms.....

*ducks for cover*
    INCOMING!!!!!

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,008

Wonder what kind of wire (if any) they have in them?
    Anyone open up a pair of the active, wireless KEF LS50s?
    8u2w7ufb6639.png
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,887
    edited December 2018

BaHahahahaha! She’s doing good my friend, got a chainsaw for my bday in October, and an axe for Christmas. Lol just in case she tries to make me sell all my gear for kids! :wink:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 5,010
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

8u2w7ufb6639.png

I have never had to open mine up.
    Den: Lumin D1,Wireworld Silver Eclipse, KEF LS50 Wireless, Velodyne SPL1200, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9,

Living Room:,T+A PA 1530R, Tyler Highland H2, Aries Mini, High Fidelity Reveal RCA, Grant Fidelity Tube Dac 11, W4S recovery, Wireworld Platinum Starlight, PS Audio Direct Stream JR.

Have but haven't used in a while: LH Labs VI Dac, Cayin SCD50T

erniejade wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

8u2w7ufb6639.png

I have never had to open mine up.

No reason that you would -- other than curiosity. I'll bet they're not wired with, umm, MIT Cable. Or Audioquest. Or maybe even Monster.
    Actually, I reckon it's all PCB trace based on the graphic I posted -- but a real photo of the innards would be most interesting, from my perspective, since the LS50 family seem to be held in fairly high regard in most circles.

:|
    Here's a similar (???) KEF loudspeaker (of which I've never heard, in full disclosure -- and which looks to be a desktop/computer "monitor") that I just stumbled across*:

enlbb2eul1lr.png

Is that zip cord I espy in there? :/

source: https://darko.audio/2014/11/kef-x300a-wireless-powered-loudspeaker-review/

vsvcm5ve17vv.png

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,696
    Looks like 16 gauge clear jacketed cable that will eventually turn green.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I like those acrylic enclosures they're so cool

Pioneer did, apparently, quite a few of 'em for dealers to display for the bad old HPM-100. They seem to turn up regularly on eBAY (or at least they used to).

bhdoelpuo1td.png
    4bnhq348vxm2.png

... and I'll admit that I wouldn't mind having a pair of Plexiglass K-horns :p
    I reckon thick enough plexiglass or Lexan (polymethylmethacrylate or polycarbonate, respectively) would be reasonably nonresonant.

83bs72vtggli.png

• rpf65rpf65 Posts: 2,058
    Why is it I forget that disco ever existed something like this comes back to haunt me?
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,458
    Saul
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Saul

Marantz?
    Of Tarsus?
    Better Call?

• KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,846
    I've received requests to either close or delete this thread because members are being contentious and disrespectful of each other. Please don't bait other members with snarky comments or post combative replies.
    "They thought we were too loud, but shoot, I had four army blankets folded over my amp, and the volume level was on 2. I'm used to playin' on 10!" S.R.V.
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,541
    I've received requests to either close or delete this thread because members are being contentious and disrespectful of each other. Please don't bait other members with snarky comments or post combative replies.
    I've got more boot pictures, Ken. Just say the word! :wink:

2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,846
    How about puppies/kittens and boots?
    "They thought we were too loud, but shoot, I had four army blankets folded over my amp, and the volume level was on 2. I'm used to playin' on 10!" S.R.V.
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,541
    This is the best I could do.

4cyjnywyrrh6.jpg
    2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • Puss-in-boots?
    Polk SDA SRS
    Yamaha M-65 (2x, bi-amped)
    Pioneer Elite SC-99
    Oppo UDP-203
    Polk CS350 center
    Polk MC-60 4x Atmos
    Polk AB700 4X surround