Best speaker wire

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    Back on topic.....I changed out my dreadnaught speakon interconnects recently from "Sonic Impact" wiring to Mit wiring. I did this mainly because I needed longer interconnects because of rack changes and was not expecting any sonic benefits. Well I'll be damned there is a sonic benefit. It's especially noticeable in the vocals and impossible to overlook or deny. Her that can hear better than me mentioned "that's almost spooky as it sounds like he's right here in the room". This is the comment I heard after playing one of her favorite cd's. Thanks f1nut you were right once again!!!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,905
    Upgraded my no name interconnects yesterday to AudioQuest Black Mamba II Audio Interconnects going from my Yamaha 2070 to my Outlaw 5000 and noticed a big improvement in sound.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    I've received requests to either close or delete this thread because members are being contentious and disrespectful of each other. Please don't bait other members with snarky comments or post combative replies.

What is this world coming too....

Will 2019 be the year that the polk site catches up with the “everyone gets a trophy” mentality??

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    We got badges now...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    We got badges now...

Big BEAUTIFUL badges B)B)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited January 2019
    Well this was a great read for kicking off 2019! I'm glad @KennethSwauger it's not closed.

Data, analysis, opinions, facts, experimentation, history, passion, and yes, bantering - all the necessary ingredients for a great thread!

Getting my learn on along my journey! I'm at the point now (I believe) where my gear will show differences in performance with cables. Looking forward to it!

Keep it up fellas! And gals! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I'm happy with my Wire World's, Mit's,AQ's, and Signals. I'm fine where I'm at but I'm sure there are improvements that could be made.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Allright, boys. I asked Ken to kill the thread. My issue was with how some of you pile on people you don't agree with. Thanks for validating my concerns.

And with that I wish you a happy new year and I'll stay off this forum.

I say this because once upon a time, after I offered up a cable for people to try for themselves, no one accepted. I honestly didn't give a damn if there was a difference heard or not, I had zero expectations and would have accepted any reviews as truthful. And yet, no one bothered. I wonder why.

Catch 22.

Someone skeptical takes up your offer, and says "ehh no improvement or change" they get told they "lack hearing ability, do not know what to listen for, or they do not have resolving enough equipment"

Several "pile on"
    Happens in every cable thread.

But no one questions a claim of an improvement, no matter how grand the description or how impossible it seems.

Double standard.
    Any positive claim, no matter how huge or possibly inflated is never to be questioned, never requires any proof.

That to me and many is the crux of the issue.
    You either believe the "Claims" or disagree and get piled on....

• verb
    Allright, boys. I asked Ken to kill the thread. My issue was with how some of you pile on people you don't agree with. Thanks for validating my concerns.

It's NOT just not agreeing, there's plenty of different (read : good) opinions here. I think the issue is the closed-minded approach to some topics by the same few people, over and over again, revolving around similar subjects. I say this because once upon a time, after I offered up a cable for people to try for themselves, no one accepted. I honestly didn't give a damn if there was a difference heard or not, I had zero expectations and would have accepted any reviews as truthful. And yet, no one bothered. I wonder why.

Must've been before my time! Does your offer still stand? :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb

Well @The_Polkster I hope you reconsider. Debate is always healthy. This type of discourse adds to the learning experience. A little jabbing back and forth is healthy too. We all have been on the receiving (and giving) ends of the jabbing.

I too wish you a happy new year! :smile:
  • K_M

Welcome to the forum, and Hopefully you will stay!
    The forum is fairly good with Polk knowledge, and if you are able to ignore certain comments, you will find it fun and a great resource of speaker knowledge.

Again, reconsider please!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    K_M wrote: »

I say this because once upon a time, after I offered up a cable for people to try for themselves, no one accepted. I honestly didn't give a damn if there was a difference heard or not, I had zero expectations and would have accepted any reviews as truthful. And yet, no one bothered. I wonder why.

Catch 22.

Someone skeptical takes up your offer, and says "ehh no improvement or change" they get told they "lack hearing ability, do not know what to listen for, or they do not have resolving enough equipment"

Several "pile on"

But no one questions a claim of an improvement, no matter how grand the description or how impossible it seems.

Double standard.
    Any positive claim, no matter how huge or possibly inflated is never to be questioned, never requires any proof.

There's your passive aggressive character trait again.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    verb wrote: »
    Well this was a great read for kicking off 2019! I'm glad @KennethSwauger it's not closed.

Data, analysis, opinions, facts, experimentation, history, passion, and yes, bantering - all the necessary ingredients for a great thread!

Getting my learn on along my journey! I'm at the point now (I believe) where my gear will show differences in performance with cables. Looking forward to it!

Keep it up fellas! And gals! :smile:

Yes, bantering.

ma5qpvbpwsh2.png
  • K_M wrote: »

Catch 22.

Several "pile on"

Double standard.

@K_M , I have to say I believe you are right in your assessment. It certainly is not a "neutral playing field" around here, or, for that matter, most other forums on the internet. Most folks already have an opinion, and do not want the internal conflict caused by giving credence to opposite opinions. So, unfortunately, a lot of "piling on" does occur.

My comments in the previous paragraph were not intended to support or disagree with the "cable argument". Since I have not tried anything other than entry level cables, I do not, as of yet, have any real opinion regarding the ability of cables to make a significant sonic difference. I hope, someday, to be able to try some for myself, and then will form an opinion based on my own experience. In the meantime, I wish I could read more discussions about cables without the attached emotional responses. It would be enlightening to me, for example, to be able to read about people who have conducted blind comparisons with different cables in their own home with their own equipment. It's not hard to do, and it's not hard to write about. In fact, if and when I am able to step up to "better" cables, that is exactly what I am going to do.

Happy New Year, everyone. Breathe in...breathe out...move on.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • verb
    edited January 2019
    Reading this thread while enjoying my flea power Bottlehead rig! :smile:

Just finished organizing my Pangea IC’s, Douglas Connection speaker cables, and, oh no! A stock power cord! :smile:
    oxctphkeyv94.jpeg
  • K_M

Just finished organizing my Pangea IC’s, Douglas Connection speaker cables, and, oh no! A stock power cord! :smile:

Once you move up to Hamster powered, you will never look back!

Happy new years!

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420

Once you move up to Hamster powered, you will never look back!

Happy new years!

The trick is getting them to stay in that darn wheel.
  • F1nut
    mark090852 wrote: »

Catch 22.

Several "pile on"

Double standard.

@K_M , I have to say I believe you are right in your assessment. It certainly is not a "neutral playing field" around here, or, for that matter, most other forums on the internet. Most folks already have an opinion, and do not want the internal conflict caused by giving credence to opposite opinions. So, unfortunately, a lot of "piling on" does occur.

My comments in the previous paragraph were not intended to support or disagree with the "cable argument". Since I have not tried anything other than entry level cables, I do not, as of yet, have any real opinion regarding the ability of cables to make a significant sonic difference. I hope, someday, to be able to try some for myself, and then will form an opinion based on my own experience. In the meantime, I wish I could read more discussions about cables without the attached emotional responses. It would be enlightening to me, for example, to be able to read about people who have conducted blind comparisons with different cables in their own home with their own equipment. It's not hard to do, and it's not hard to write about. In fact, if and when I am able to step up to "better" cables, that is exactly what I am going to do.

Happy New Year, everyone. Breathe in...breathe out...move on.

The problem is that whenever someone asks about cables, in this case the best speaker cables, some people feel compiled to jump in saying they can't hear a difference, expensive cables are snake oil, etc., etc. Comments such as those are not even on topic. Yet the same individuals repeat that behavior time and time again. It's unnecessary, unwelcome and way beyond old. IMO, repeat offenders should be banished from such topics.

Again, the topic is what are the best speaker cables, nothing else!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    Starting now...
    If anyone asks about speaker cables we will ask them to reach out to K_M because she knows best, and has all the cable answers.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825

You can stop fishing now, if I can find that Pangea power cable I was willing to send
    out, I'll send you a PM. Fair enough? LOL

@K_M, it was not a Catch-22. I put no conditions on the trial, other than asking someone to post what they thought. THOUGHT. Listen to whatever you want on whatever you have, not difficult really. People "pile on" to people who dismiss something out of hand, or demand proof of a change being heard. That's pretty tough to do with something as subjective as listening to audio on your own gear. The opposite also holds true; why would I try to tell someone they didn't hear something if they say they did? Again, not that difficult.
    So you either believe the "claims", or disagree and ... try it for yourself.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • verb
    Thanks @polrbehr ! I was not astute enough to make that implication, but you're on! :smile:
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    me, too, but I keep shuffling back to it.

Actually, to me (and FWIW) the interesting thing about threads like this is the discussion itself, as opposed to the topic.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,449
    Milito wrote: »
    Upgraded my no name interconnects yesterday to AudioQuest Black Mamba II Audio Interconnects going from my Yamaha 2070 to my Outlaw 5000 and noticed a big improvement in sound.

nice now I want some
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.Family Room:Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA, Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB .Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15Sub: SVS SB2000 Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • gdphoto
    gdphoto Posts: 182
    Sorry to get back on topic, but I just listened to my new DYI cables for about an hour and now they seem a bit bright. Getting back to my earlier question, do speaker cables need time to break in? What I hear now is reminiscent, but now as bad, as when I had my XO's rebuilt and upgraded to RDO194's. Back then the sound was bright and even a little raspy. After about 200 hours, as per F1's advise, they were completely settled in and now sound great. Now with the cable switch, so far, I feel like I am back there again, a bit. Should I wait awhile before passing judgment, or is this a case of it is what it is?
    Hafler DH220 Power amp Recapped
    Hafler DH110 Preamp Recapped
    Hafler Digital FM Tuner
    Virtue Audio M1 Piano CD Player
    Technics SL-1210-MK5 with a Rega Exact Cartridge
    Polk SDA1c's(Rebuilt XO's by Ben) RDO194 Tweeters
  • verb
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    On Another board I frequent, cable topics are reserved for those who only have something positive to contribute, and usually arguments by naysayers are deleted by mods, as they usually have very little to contribute to the conversation. It’s interesting because conversations stay on topic, and we don’t have cable non-believers coming out of the wood work to try to “save us from ourselves”.

That's a concept! Now I wonder how many "Cables don't matter" threads are out there? Outside of CP, of course! :smile:
  • F1nut
    In my experience cable burn in is real, so give them time. One thing you can try is listen to a few favorites taking notes about the sound. After 100 hours do the same, then compare notes.

President of Club Polk