How do the new L800 SDA compare to the Original Legend SDA-SRS 1.2TL?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited December 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Voice texted. I failed at editing my post.
    >:)

Ahh. I thought it was lifted (i.e., cut and pasted) from the S+V peas peace piece? ;)

If not -

ukz1pada1vkt.png
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited December 2019
    I read it from my mag.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Gotcha
    umm...
    got you.

:#

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    DSkip wrote: »
    They are worth the drive for any SDA fan, if for nothing more than to hear them.
    I feel like an alcoholic asking the people at the bar to talk me out of that next drink! 😂
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    xsmi wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    They are worth the drive for any SDA fan, if for nothing more than to hear them.
    I feel like an alcoholic asking the people at the bar to talk me out of that next drink! 😂

One shot or two? Maybe a boiler maker?
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited December 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Does anyone else find their system images differently (worse) during the day then at night in the dark?

I most certainly do. I recommend the Audioprism Quietline MKIII audio filters. They are no longer in production (I believe), but you can get them used. I got mine that way thanks to a fellow Polkie.

They made a substantial differnce in my system (especially during the day, but also at night. Ray did a write up on them here: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/147134/studies-on-residential-power-line-noise-part-11-noise-harvester-and-quietline/p1
    Post edited by headrott on
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    headrott wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Does anyone else find their system images differently (worse) during the day then at night in the dark?

I most certainly do. I recommend the Audioprism Quietline MKIII audio filters. They are no longer in production (I believe), but you can get them used. I got mine that way thanks to a fellow Polkie.

They made a substantial differnce in my system (especially during the day, but also at night. Ray did a write up on them here: https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/147134/studies-on-residential-power-line-noise-part-11-noise-harvester-and-quietline/p1

I'm thinking you should get on Verb's alpha meter list and do some line measurements with your quietlines. I also have 4 quietlines and 5 noiseharvestors and I'd be interested in seeing if other members get the same alpha meter readings as I do with these devices.
  • I thought of posting this in Skip's L800 thread but ........

10 most innovative home technologies and gadgets of 2019 (10. Polk Legend L800)

k5kjk4ujw5z5.jpg

The link in No 10 take you to Polk website.
    https://www.foxnews.com/tech/10-innovative-home-technologies-gadgets-of-2019

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    soupbone wrote: »
    L800's is the topic, lets not tarnish a thread about Polks new flagship speaker please.

I honestly cannot see the L800's besting them in any way but I'm human and I've been wrong before.

If Polk fails to improve upon the vintage SDA in EVERY WAY it would be a sad day for their design team. The Legend should easily SMOKE 30+ year old parts & materials...it shouldn't even be close!

But, as motorstereo's post clearly indicated, he wasn't talking about comparing the L800 to stock vintage SDAs. He (and I) were talking about comparing the L800 to vintage SDAs with significant parts upgrades. Modded SDAs easily SMOKE stock SDAs, therefore the L800 doing so is a given.

We like our SDA's a good bit, but maybe being a lot less of a fanboy of them, than some in the forum.

I simply do not see the low cost components in the vintage era Polks to be the best thing ever as some do.

I'm not saying they were crap or bad at all, but the woofers and tweeters used by polk back then, and even the replacement "upgraded" ones are also not truly "great" either.

They were fairly standard low cost run of the mill drivers, that while performing well for sure, could easily be bettered, by even relatively low cost DIY drivers today and even years ago.

You are still using the stock woofers in yours, so your upgrades basically consist of new tweeters.

(yes I realize you have done more, but the basic drivers are by far the biggest contributors to the sound)

Are you claiming, you believe the 198 tweeters and the Polk Mid-woofers are the greatest speaker components ever conceived??

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Stop trying to stir the pot.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    K_M wrote: »
    L800's is the topic, lets not tarnish a thread about Polks new flagship speaker please.

I honestly cannot see the L800's besting them in any way but I'm human and I've been wrong before.

If Polk fails to improve upon the vintage SDA in EVERY WAY it would be a sad day for their design team. The Legend should easily SMOKE 30+ year old parts & materials...it shouldn't even be close!

But, as motorstereo's post clearly indicated, he wasn't talking about comparing the L800 to stock vintage SDAs. He (and I) were talking about comparing the L800 to vintage SDAs with significant parts upgrades. Modded SDAs easily SMOKE stock SDAs, therefore the L800 doing so is a given.

We like our SDA's a good bit, but maybe being a lot less of a fanboy of them, than some in the forum.

I simply do not see the low cost components in the vintage era Polks to be the best thing ever as some do.

I'm not saying they were crap or bad at all, but the woofers and tweeters used by polk back then, and even the replacement "upgraded" ones are also not truly "great" either.

They were fairly standard low cost run of the mill drivers, that while performing well for sure, could easily be bettered, by even relatively low cost DIY drivers today and even years ago.

You are still using the stock woofers in yours, so your upgrades basically consist of new tweeters.

(yes I realize you have done more, but the basic drivers are by far the biggest contributors to the sound)

Are you claiming, you believe the 198 tweeters and the Polk Mid-woofers are the greatest speaker components ever conceived??

Trolling yet again.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    Nice little review! I guess I would take that setup lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • K_M
    edited December 2019

Possibly the most ignorant statement I've ever read about vintage Polks.
    Have you ever even looked at the T/S parameters for the MW65** woofers?

Yes I have seen the T/S parameters. (remember we do DIY speakers and are QUITE familiar with this stuff)

They still seem quite ordinary. I am not sure what you feel is unusually impressive about them, care to explain?

Again not to ruffle any feathers, but they are not "Bad" really, but again fairly ordinary.

What aspect of them are you referencing exactly?

If they were truly that world class and impressive, why is this a secret outside our forum?

• K_M
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Stop trying to stir the pot.

No not really. Try again. I have yet to see anyone give an explanation to what I am asking.
    Saying I am stirring the "pot", gives zero insight into why this particular driver is out of the ordinary.

I have the Polk mid-woofers in several speakers we have owned, really like them, but simply never felt they were unusually good or something special overall.

When someone proclaims they have found nothing to beat a 30 year old Polk speaker, and nothing can improve on it, to you does that sound believable or a good bit of hyperbole?

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I would also like to hear that set up.

I see where Classe is following other Mfg's lead with Vu Meters! I like it, but I don't have Classe kinda Cash ;)

• K_M
    edited December 2019
    F1nut wrote: »

Trolling yet again.

No, because I am not bashing anything, nor anyone, but simply wondering what in particular you guys feel makes them so special.

Again they were fairly low cost, that is a fact.
    The replacement cost Polk MW woofers, are VERY marked up price wise.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    I noted with interest that Classe is now manufactured in Japan and wonder if SU is using the same facilities that build the Marantz Reference gear?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    edited December 2019
    The Classe monoblocks driving the Magicos at Axpona earlier this year sounded fantastic. Visceral bass.

xejyny0l9ike.jpg
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    The Classe monoblocks driving the Magicos at Axpona earlier this year sounded fantastic. Visceral bass.

I like the sound of that. If I ever own a fishing boat, that's what I'm going to call it. Talk about 2-way meaning!
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Of all the strong opinions I read on here it's interesting which ones get jumped on and who's doing the jumping.

Some of you **** better get a listening party going before you burn down the forum arguing about which is better. Besides its more fun in person, and maybe face to face you **** would show a little respect. You all suck in your own way, you're all great in your own way. Don't like it, don't respond.

Please stop cluttering up interesting threads with this useless ****. Take your pissing contests somehwere else. It's old.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Clipdat
    Don't like it, don't respond.

If only you took your own advice. o:)
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    No, because I am not bashing anything, nor anyone, but simply wondering what in particular you guys feel makes them so special.

Again they were fairly low cost, that is a fact.
    The replacement cost Polk MW woofers, are VERY marked up price wise.

Why don't you save us all some grief and every time you feel like posting a comment here just say "I don't like Polk speakers. Never have and never will"

Why beat around the bush???
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • How ‘bout dem speekerz.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960

Thanks for the link. I noted the reviewer referred to the L100’s as a value. Nice that they Demo’d the L800’s with the L100’s.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    From the article...

SDA works best when the listener is seated on axis. Move too much to the left or right of the sweet spot, and the holographic effect collapses. Also, if you sit too far back, directly behind the sweet spot, the soundstage expands and diffuses until it no longer makes sense.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited December 2019
    Sounds like L800 is geared for a single listener, especially if the soundstage doesn’t make sense if you aren’t in the sweet spot.
    Post edited by BlueFox on
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Am I wrong in thinking a bit of toe-in might be in order for these?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson