How do the new L800 SDA compare to the Original Legend SDA-SRS 1.2TL?

15678911»

Comments

  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,591
    edited October 28
    I hope John is doing o.k. on the west coast no matter what acquaintance of past posts.

    I look forward to reviews on the OP topic.
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,337
    K_M wrote: »
    L800's is the topic, lets not tarnish a thread about Polks new flagship speaker please.

    Good advice and I agree.
    I'm looking forward to reading someone's impression of having a direct comparison between the 2 flagships

    I agree!

    Very curious how the two compare.
    Do you own the vintage flagship also?

    Yes ma'am I do own the 1.2tl's and have since 2011. They've been recapped by F1nut with a binding post upgrade also done by him. I have all MIT cabling due to Jesse and I use a dreadnaught designed by darqueknight. This all starts with a Clearaudio Stradivari m/c cart that came from nooshinjohn earlier this year. :)
    I honestly cannot see the L800's besting them in any way but I'm human and I've been wrong before.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,582
    This all starts with a Clearaudio Stradivari m/c cart that came from nooshinjohn earlier this year.

    Glad to be of service, but wait until you try a Goldfinger! :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

    Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

    “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,111
    Enabler
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,337
    This all starts with a Clearaudio Stradivari m/c cart that came from nooshinjohn earlier this year.

    Glad to be of service, but wait until you try a Goldfinger! :p

    I believe I can say with confidence that there will never be a Goldfinger here. I would love to hear one though and still find it incredible that it can best the Strad.
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,591
    edited October 28
    K_M wrote: »
    L800's is the topic, lets not tarnish a thread about Polks new flagship speaker please.


    Yes ma'am I do own the 1.2tl's and have since 2011. They've been recapped by F1nut with a binding post upgrade also done by him. I have all MIT cabling due to Jesse and I use a dreadnaught designed by darqueknight. This all starts with a Clearaudio Stradivari m/c cart that came from nooshinjohn earlier this year. :)
    I honestly cannot see the L800's besting them in any way but I'm human and I've been wrong before.

    I'm suddenly feeling
    anxious. :o
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,539
    edited October 28
    K_M wrote: »
    L800's is the topic, lets not tarnish a thread about Polks new flagship speaker please.

    Good advice and I agree.
    I'm looking forward to reading someone's impression of having a direct comparison between the 2 flagships

    I agree!

    Very curious how the two compare.
    Do you own the vintage flagship also?

    Yes ma'am I do own the 1.2tl's and have since 2011. They've been recapped by F1nut with a binding post upgrade also done by him. I have all MIT cabling due to Jesse and I use a dreadnaught designed by darqueknight. This all starts with a Clearaudio Stradivari m/c cart that came from nooshinjohn earlier this year. :)
    I honestly cannot see the L800's besting them in any way but I'm human and I've been wrong before.



    When we first got a pair of Lsi, I expected our SDA SRS to beat them in every way, they did in low end extension and overall sound levels for sure, but for smoothness of sound, clarity, resolving low level treble sounds, and a few other things, the Lsi were the better speaker.

    I imagine the new L800's will refine on the Lsi and Lsim sound.
    Our older SDA's have a big sound, can get loud and can do fairly deep well, but never found them the epitome in focus, detail, and just resolving small sounds.

    I found the vifa tweeters in the Lsi and Lsim to simply be on another level sound wise.

    Of course we all listen for different aspects of sound.

    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • skrolskrol Posts: 2,830
    I finally got to experience the vintage SDA (F1NUT what version were Scott's SDA 2's?) for the first time in many years and was completely blown away. The bass is deep and tight and the sound stage is phenomenal. These things have some strange magic to them.

    While I don't have any vintage SDA's, I do have similar vintage RTA11TL's (with upgraded XO and RDO-198) and I have the LSi15's (w/ DB804). There are things that I like about the RTA's over the LSi's, namely the bass. The bass is cleaner, tighter and more impacting than the LSi's. Maybe I just like the PR system character over ported systems. I would almost choose the RTA's over the LSi's except when I switch LSi's, the mids and highs just sound much more realistic and the sound stage is much wider (not SDA wide though). I guess new technology and materials count for something in the speaker world. If only I could combine the RTA bass with it's passive radiators with the upper stage of the LSi...

    That is what I am hoping for in the L800 (even though it isn't PR). I look forward to hearing vintage (Legacy) SDA technology combined with new tech design capability and drivers. Should be well worth the hype.

    It shouldn't be long before we start seeing head-to-head comparisons of old and new SDA.
    Stan

    Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

    HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade), Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

    Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7; Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,664
    RIP the Dynavector cart John sold me. John is just selling everyone carts around here. Enabler.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,582
    What happened to the Dyna?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

    Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

    “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,664
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,619
    I honestly cannot see the L800's besting them in any way but I'm human and I've been wrong before.
    skrol wrote: »
    It shouldn't be long before we start seeing head-to-head comparisons of old and new SDA.

    Fully modded SDAs are hard to beat, which is a testament to their basic design, which is why mine are still in use after many upgrades of cables, electronics, and source components.

    "So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • soupbonesoupbone Posts: 92
    edited October 28
    L800's is the topic, lets not tarnish a thread about Polks new flagship speaker please.

    I honestly cannot see the L800's besting them in any way but I'm human and I've been wrong before.

    If Polk fails to improve upon the vintage SDA in EVERY WAY it would be a sad day for their design team. The Legend should easily SMOKE 30+ year old parts & materials...it shouldn't even be close!
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,909
    edited October 28
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,891
    Woe to you soup cracker.
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,619
    soupbone wrote: »
    L800's is the topic, lets not tarnish a thread about Polks new flagship speaker please.

    I honestly cannot see the L800's besting them in any way but I'm human and I've been wrong before.

    If Polk fails to improve upon the vintage SDA in EVERY WAY it would be a sad day for their design team. The Legend should easily SMOKE 30+ year old parts & materials...it shouldn't even be close!

    But, as motorstereo's post clearly indicated, he wasn't talking about comparing the L800 to stock vintage SDAs. He (and I) were talking about comparing the L800 to vintage SDAs with significant parts upgrades. Modded SDAs easily SMOKE stock SDAs, therefore the L800 doing so is a given.
    "So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • drumminmandrumminman Posts: 3,372
    K_M wrote: »

    When we first got a pair of Lsi, I expected our SDA SRS to beat them in every way, they did in low end extension and overall sound levels for sure, but for smoothness of sound, clarity, resolving low level treble sounds, and a few other things, the Lsi were the better speaker.

    I imagine the new L800's will refine on the Lsi and Lsim sound.
    Our older SDA's have a big sound, can get loud and can do fairly deep well, but never found them the epitome in focus, detail, and just resolving small sounds.

    I found the vifa tweeters in the Lsi and Lsim to simply be on another level sound wise.

    Of course we all listen for different aspects of sound.

    Hi KM
    Have you completed any mods to your SDA’s and if so which ones? Just curious - your answer will provide context for your listening experience.

    Thx
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,539
    skrol wrote: »
    I finally got to experience the vintage SDA (F1NUT what version were Scott's SDA 2's?) for the first time in many years and was completely blown away. The bass is deep and tight and the sound stage is phenomenal. These things have some strange magic to them.

    While I don't have any vintage SDA's, I do have similar vintage RTA11TL's (with upgraded XO and RDO-198) and I have the LSi15's (w/ DB804). There are things that I like about the RTA's over the LSi's, namely the bass. The bass is cleaner, tighter and more impacting than the LSi's. Maybe I just like the PR system character over ported systems. I would almost choose the RTA's over the LSi's except when I switch LSi's, the mids and highs just sound much more realistic and the sound stage is much wider (not SDA wide though). I guess new technology and materials count for something in the speaker world. If only I could combine the RTA bass with it's passive radiators with the upper stage of the LSi...

    That is what I am hoping for in the L800 (even though it isn't PR). I look forward to hearing vintage (Legacy) SDA technology combined with new tech design capability and drivers. Should be well worth the hype.

    It shouldn't be long before we start seeing head-to-head comparisons of old and new SDA.

    Pretty much agree with all about the rta versus Lsi

    What we did, was run the Lsi with dual subwoofers crossed at about 125 hz. It helped eliminate the boomy mid bass of the lsi and extended the deep bass a good bit, for sure even more than the RTA11 bass.

    If you have run your Rta11s really loud with deep bass, you will find their one shortcoming. They run out of excursion fairly easily with some music material.
    Most stuff they do really good though.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,539
    soupbone wrote: »
    L800's is the topic, lets not tarnish a thread about Polks new flagship speaker please.

    I honestly cannot see the L800's besting them in any way but I'm human and I've been wrong before.

    If Polk fails to improve upon the vintage SDA in EVERY WAY it would be a sad day for their design team. The Legend should easily SMOKE 30+ year old parts & materials...it shouldn't even be close!

    The vintage SDA speakers were really good speakers. The huge cabinet with 8 drivers will make it hard to beat deep bass and overall loudness wise for sure.

    Not saying it can not be done, but the L800 size wise is a good bit smaller than the largest vintage SDA, so either deep bass or efficiency will be lost.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,539
    drumminman wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »

    When we first got a pair of Lsi, I expected our SDA SRS to beat them in every way, they did in low end extension and overall sound levels for sure, but for smoothness of sound, clarity, resolving low level treble sounds, and a few other things, the Lsi were the better speaker.

    I imagine the new L800's will refine on the Lsi and Lsim sound.
    Our older SDA's have a big sound, can get loud and can do fairly deep well, but never found them the epitome in focus, detail, and just resolving small sounds.

    I found the vifa tweeters in the Lsi and Lsim to simply be on another level sound wise.

    Of course we all listen for different aspects of sound.

    Hi KM
    Have you completed any mods to your SDA’s and if so which ones? Just curious - your answer will provide context for your listening experience.

    Thx

    They were modded, but not by us, but as purchased used a few years back.
    Have not opened them to see what mods, but know the crossover was updated by the seller and a few other things.

    Let me see if I can contact him and find exactly what was done.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • skrolskrol Posts: 2,830
    I initially thought it would only be fair to compare stock vintage SDA to the stock L800 but the problem would be that the electrolytic in the vintage SDA are likely dried out by now. It would only make sense that if one were replacing the old caps that they would also upgrade them. So, perhaps it would be more fair to compare modded vintage SDA (which one?) to modded L800. However, not too many folks are going to pull apart their new $6000 speaker and swap components but we can get crazy around here.
    Stan

    Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

    HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade), Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

    Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7; Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,539
    skrol wrote: »
    I initially thought it would only be fair to compare stock vintage SDA to the stock L800 but the problem would be that the electrolytic in the vintage SDA are likely dried out by now. It would only make sense that if one were replacing the old caps that they would also upgrade them. So, perhaps it would be more fair to compare modded vintage SDA (which one?) to modded L800. However, not too many folks are going to pull apart their new $6000 speaker and swap components but we can get crazy around here.

    Agreed about old caps. very doubtful any are still good, about 30 years on.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,603
    K_M wrote: »
    skrol wrote: »
    I initially thought it would only be fair to compare stock vintage SDA to the stock L800 but the problem would be that the electrolytic in the vintage SDA are likely dried out by now. It would only make sense that if one were replacing the old caps that they would also upgrade them. So, perhaps it would be more fair to compare modded vintage SDA (which one?) to modded L800. However, not too many folks are going to pull apart their new $6000 speaker and swap components but we can get crazy around here.

    Agreed about old caps. very doubtful any are still good, about 30 years on.


    unless they're vintage oilers...

    33722835425_356edb2df3_b.jpgDSC_7330 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

    PCBs, unfortunately, may sound the best of all... :#
  • scottfoxscottfox Posts: 36
    edited December 7
    I bought a pair of original, immaculate SDS SRS3.1TLs last year. got them home, and thought they weren't much better than my original Monitor 10's. Demo'd the L800 at Nebraska Furniture Mart north of Dallas. They have a nice demo room & they sounded fantastic! Blew away my 3.1s on imaging & bass. I have dual HSU subs, so not concerned over a loss of bass. I just bought a Monolith USB DAC & all I can say is WOW! I am now getting the full 'SDA Effect' on many songs. Not bad for a $52 upgrade. Now I'm not saying my $350 set is going to compare favorably to the new L800s, but $6000 for the pair is not really an option for me. Maybe consider updating the Xover, & possibly the Tweeters.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,582
    Updated crossovers and tweeters and you have a phenomenal speaker...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

    Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

    “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,553
    scottfox wrote: »
    I bought a pair of original, immaculate SDS SRS3.1TLs last year. got them home, and thought they weren't much better than my original Monitor 10's. Demo'd the L800 at Nebraska Furniture Mart north of Dallas. They have a nice demo room & they sounded fantastic! Blew away my 3.1s on imaging & bass. I have dual HSU subs, so not concerned over a loss of bass. I just bought a Monolith USB DAC & all I can say is WOW! I am now getting the full 'SDA Effect' on many songs. Not bad for a $52 upgrade. Now I'm not saying my $350 set is going to compare favorably to the new L800s, but $6000 for the pair is not really an option for me. Maybe consider updating the Xover, & possibly the Tweeters.

    You will never hear what the 3.1's are capable of until you upgrade the x-overs and the tweeters, along with other small tweaks.

    You will have a total investment of around $800-1K in a speaker that will sound more like a 3K speaker or better.

    SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!