How do the new L800 SDA compare to the Original Legend SDA-SRS 1.2TL?

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,074
    Well, not one but two and completely ignoring the egg on their face.....as usual.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_MK_M Posts: 1,535
    DSkip wrote: »
    The speaker designers I talk to believe you don’t need world class drivers. You can take good drivers, get the electroacoustics right and use quality capacitors and draw out incredible sound.

The reason this is even up for debate is that many don’t know how to listen for the qualities these components bring.
    Case in point, only roughly 10% of guys who came to my room at lsaf heard the incredible depth I was getting. Those guys who did had expletives immediately. The problem with this hobby is that if you don’t know what to listen for, you won’t get it. If you do catch what is going on, that sound doesn’t leave your register.

That comment is borderline offensive.
    Some of the rest I agree with, but you are saying that if someone does not agree with your opinion, they have bad hearing or listening qualities right??

But those pros that have done their homework and do not agree with you, and from well known companies, are all wrong?

Some will make huge claims for caps. I agree there is some difference to be had, for sure, but a tiny to small difference.

If you think the caps are the bottleneck in Polk speakers, are you aware they are using drivers that usually are usually under $10.00 each in the bulk purchases they make?

Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Col. Paul W. Klipsch believed that his enclosure designs (and, presumably, his midrange horns) were the value-added part of his loudspeakers and that the drivers used were irrelevant. Early on, he (they) used pretty good drivers (EV, University -- that sort of thing), but by the 1970s, Klipsch was using mostly inexpensive commodity drivers (although they used the EV T35 tweeter for a long time). Some time spent listening to the "Heritage" Klipsch models of that era will, I would opine, quickly convince one of the fallacy of Klipsch's logic.

In terms of crossover design and choice of passive components used therein (capacitors, inductors and resistors), at least in the case of mass-market loudspeakers, there is simply no question that the 'bean counters' held/hold at least some sway in the choice of components based (presumably) on COGs (cost of goods sold).

Basic economics, I think.

The enclosures are by far the most expensive part in most retail speakers, that are not really high priced.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...........WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

President of Club Polk

edited October 25
    @F1nut
    @DarqueKnight
    @nooshinjohn

I have put you guys on Ignore. Along with a few others. I totally quit reading all your comments, whether they are rude, idiotic, or trying to "School" everyone on how little they know and how much you combined "guys" know.

So I see that you all have posted stuff, but as many in the forum have done, you are ignored.
    I do not want to appear rude as if I no longer reply to the 3 of you, but do not waste your time.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775

I don't blame you as it must be difficult to read how wrong you are time after time after time after time after time........

President of Club Polk

• tonybtonyb Posts: 31,647
    Well said Skip.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,617
    K_M wrote: »
    @F1nut
    @DarqueKnight
    @nooshinjohn

I have put you guys on Ignore.

Thanks for the compliment.
    I do not want to appear rude as if I no longer reply to the 3 of you, but do not waste your time.

Nice dodge!
    "So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,566
    edited October 25
    So I made K_M’s ignore list! Better than winning an academy award! No long insufferable speech, but I consider it the highest honor on this forum. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,490
    I haven't even had a confrontation, & K_M is on my ignore list too. No reason to read that drivel. Hope they like talking to themselves because I'm probably not alone.
  • soupbonesoupbone Posts: 91

Wish this is what was being discussed here :(
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,555
    soupbone wrote: »

Wish this is what was being discussed here :(

I don't think anyone has those data yet.
    Be patient, young Jedi.
    In due time, we'll hear, no doubt.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,281
    Many here will have their ears on them in two weeks.
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,617

The reason this is even up for debate is that many don’t know how to listen for the qualities these components bring. Case in point, only roughly 10% of guys who came to my room at lsaf heard the incredible depth I was getting. Those guys who did had expletives immediately. The problem with this hobby is that if you don’t know what to listen for, you won’t get it. If you do catch what is going on, that sound doesn’t leave your register.

It's so sad that there are audio equipment designers who have a mindset of "imaging isn't important". In that regard, they would be better off designing mono equipment.

A lot of people, even professionals in the audio industry, seem not to be aware that the primary design goal of a stereophonic music system is to create a three dimensional illusion of sound images spread across a sound field (sound stage) that has apparent height, width, and depth, and that have an apparent sonic "weight".

These "unawares" typically get offended when their listening methodologies, which largely or totally exclude stereophonic performance metrics, are called into question.

"So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • verbverb Posts: 8,148
    I'm really excited about the forthcoming reviews! I trust a lot of folks here on CP, well, because, I'm ignorant! :) Well, a newbie! And ready to absorb your impressions! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,574
    I'm guilty of improving my listening ability since reading here and other sites
    and seek out improved sound. (IMHO) So there is room for improvement for anyone
    if I can do it.

Interestingly, today my 2 channel set up sounds more digital than yesterday.
    Luckily, I have three settings on my DAC. Could be a number of things. Point
    is I wouldn't be too hard on yourself or hang on to false premises.

my 2 cents
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,614

The reason this is even up for debate is that many don’t know how to listen for the qualities these components bring. Case in point, only roughly 10% of guys who came to my room at lsaf heard the incredible depth I was getting. Those guys who did had expletives immediately. The problem with this hobby is that if you don’t know what to listen for, you won’t get it. If you do catch what is going on, that sound doesn’t leave your register.

It's so sad that there are audio equipment designers who have a mindset of "imaging isn't important". In that regard, they would be better off designing mono equipment.

A lot of people, even professionals in the audio industry, seem not to be aware that the primary design goal of a stereophonic music system is to create a three dimensional illusion of sound images spread across a sound field (sound stage) that has apparent height, width, and depth, and that have an apparent sonic "weight".

These "unawares" typically get offended when their listening methodologies, which largely or totally exclude stereophonic performance metrics, are called into question.

Imaging is everything to me. I would rather have the most incredible soundstage size, depth, and imaging along with a tonal balance I'm not thrilled with than something that images poorly with a tiny stage but is tonally amazing.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verbverb Posts: 8,148
    SIHAB wrote: »
    I'm guilty of improving my listening ability since reading here and other sites
    and seek out improved sound. (IMHO) So there is room for improvement for anyone
    if I can do it.

Interestingly, today my 2 channel set up sounds more digital than yesterday.
    Luckily, I have three settings on my DAC. Could be a number of things. Point
    is I wouldn't be too hard on yourself or hang on to false premises.

my 2 cents

All good my man! I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know much when I first started this journey! :smile: I'm an engineer, I live by data and the world of precision.

Audio, for me, is certainly subjective at times. It took a while for me to get my head around the fact that a certain combination of internal circuits, or components, when paired together, can be sublime! And if you swap out a component, despite the fact that it's specifications are similar, you get poor results!

And, you would never be able to predict that on paper! :smile: Even in my world, with our state of the art analytical tools, we still test. And have to correlate the test results to the predicted ones. Sometimes we have to alter the analytical tools to match the real world.

Here at CP, I'm learning. And loving it every day! I'm amazed at hearing differences (improvements) as I get new pieces! All due to the love and guidance from folks here on CP!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Imaging is everything to me. I would rather have the most incredible soundstage size, depth, and imaging along with a tonal balance I'm not thrilled with than something that images poorly with a tiny stage but is tonally amazing.

It's the whole package for me. A large, soundstage is a complete fail without proper imaging and sonic accuracy. What good is having an expansive sound field if what appears within that space sounds like crap.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • polrbehrpolrbehr Posts: 2,427

It's the whole package for me. A large, soundstage is a complete fail without proper imaging and sonic accuracy. What good is having an expansive sound field if what appears within that space sounds like crap.

Well put. Until I listened to a pair of SDAs, I didn't know how good audio could/should be. Now, I am not so naive to think my 2Bs can't be bested by other speakers, but it would take a lot to get mine away from me.

PS. I quoted you so, sorry, everyone can see it now LOL :p
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
    edited October 25

I definitely agree. I'm just saying if those were the only two choices, to put in perspective how important imaging and sound stage is to me.

Does anyone else find it odd that someone who said the following keeps posting in L800 SDA-Pro threads?
    We are thinking about maybe doing the L600 (SDA is not important to me)

OH SNAP!!!

President of Club Polk

Does anyone else find their system images differently (worse) during the day then at night in the dark?

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,281
    Does anyone else find their system images differently (worse) during the day then at night in the dark?

Yup. Fluctuations in power usage can create more noise in the lines. I posted a thread about this years ago.
    "The speaker designers I talk to believe you don’t need world class drivers. You can take good drivers, get the electroacoustics right and use quality capacitors and draw out incredible sound."

I find this comment incredible. Go cheap on the drives and do expensive XO?
    Then tune the sound from good to incredible?

I have to laugh at people that want to buy new $6000 speakers that
    engineers have spent untold hours on fine tuning and then want to
    right away want to upgrade and fine tune. Why not just buy speakers
    you like?

I can see it in 10 years when the caps are out of spec or whatever.

OTHO if we can get the Polk engineers off to the side and get their
    recommendations on what XO components to upgrade what the heck.
    Is it equally ridiculous to you that somebody out there is going to buy a brand new C8 Vette and immediately throw a turbo on it?

Is it equally ridiculous to you that somebody out there is going to buy a brand new C8 Vette and immediately throw a turbo on it?

For me it would be.... especially since you have a new car warranty and a factory turbo car is about a year out.

Is this directed at me? It is a straw man argument. (if I understand you correctly)

To use your analogy correctly you would have to maybe remove some resistors
    and inductors.