How do the new L800 SDA compare to the Original Legend SDA-SRS 1.2TL?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited October 2019
    @F1nut
    @DarqueKnight
    @nooshinjohn

I have put you guys on Ignore. Along with a few others. I totally quit reading all your comments, whether they are rude, idiotic, or trying to "School" everyone on how little they know and how much you combined "guys" know.

So I see that you all have posted stuff, but as many in the forum have done, you are ignored.
    I do not want to appear rude as if I no longer reply to the 3 of you, but do not waste your time.
  • F1nut
    I don't blame you as it must be difficult to read how wrong you are time after time after time after time after time........

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    Well said Skip.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    K_M wrote: »
    @F1nut
    @DarqueKnight
    @nooshinjohn

I have put you guys on Ignore.

Thanks for the compliment.
    I do not want to appear rude as if I no longer reply to the 3 of you, but do not waste your time.

Nice dodge!
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited October 2019
    So I made K_M’s ignore list! Better than winning an academy award! No long insufferable speech, but I consider it the highest honor on this forum. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    I haven't even had a confrontation, & K_M is on my ignore list too. No reason to read that drivel. Hope they like talking to themselves because I'm probably not alone.
  • soupbone
    soupbone Posts: 104

Wish this is what was being discussed here :(
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    soupbone wrote: »

Wish this is what was being discussed here :(

I don't think anyone has those data yet.
    Be patient, young Jedi.
    In due time, we'll hear, no doubt.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    DSkip wrote: »

The reason this is even up for debate is that many don’t know how to listen for the qualities these components bring. Case in point, only roughly 10% of guys who came to my room at lsaf heard the incredible depth I was getting. Those guys who did had expletives immediately. The problem with this hobby is that if you don’t know what to listen for, you won’t get it. If you do catch what is going on, that sound doesn’t leave your register.

It's so sad that there are audio equipment designers who have a mindset of "imaging isn't important". In that regard, they would be better off designing mono equipment.

A lot of people, even professionals in the audio industry, seem not to be aware that the primary design goal of a stereophonic music system is to create a three dimensional illusion of sound images spread across a sound field (sound stage) that has apparent height, width, and depth, and that have an apparent sonic "weight".

These "unawares" typically get offended when their listening methodologies, which largely or totally exclude stereophonic performance metrics, are called into question.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I'm really excited about the forthcoming reviews! I trust a lot of folks here on CP, well, because, I'm ignorant! :) Well, a newbie! And ready to absorb your impressions! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    I'm guilty of improving my listening ability since reading here and other sites
    and seek out improved sound. (IMHO) So there is room for improvement for anyone
    if I can do it.

Interestingly, today my 2 channel set up sounds more digital than yesterday.
    Luckily, I have three settings on my DAC. Could be a number of things. Point
    is I wouldn't be too hard on yourself or hang on to false premises.

my 2 cents
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    DSkip wrote: »

The reason this is even up for debate is that many don’t know how to listen for the qualities these components bring. Case in point, only roughly 10% of guys who came to my room at lsaf heard the incredible depth I was getting. Those guys who did had expletives immediately. The problem with this hobby is that if you don’t know what to listen for, you won’t get it. If you do catch what is going on, that sound doesn’t leave your register.

It's so sad that there are audio equipment designers who have a mindset of "imaging isn't important". In that regard, they would be better off designing mono equipment.

A lot of people, even professionals in the audio industry, seem not to be aware that the primary design goal of a stereophonic music system is to create a three dimensional illusion of sound images spread across a sound field (sound stage) that has apparent height, width, and depth, and that have an apparent sonic "weight".

These "unawares" typically get offended when their listening methodologies, which largely or totally exclude stereophonic performance metrics, are called into question.

Imaging is everything to me. I would rather have the most incredible soundstage size, depth, and imaging along with a tonal balance I'm not thrilled with than something that images poorly with a tiny stage but is tonally amazing.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • verb
    SIHAB wrote: »
    I'm guilty of improving my listening ability since reading here and other sites
    and seek out improved sound. (IMHO) So there is room for improvement for anyone
    if I can do it.

Interestingly, today my 2 channel set up sounds more digital than yesterday.
    Luckily, I have three settings on my DAC. Could be a number of things. Point
    is I wouldn't be too hard on yourself or hang on to false premises.

my 2 cents

All good my man! I'll be the first to admit that I didn't know much when I first started this journey! :smile: I'm an engineer, I live by data and the world of precision.

Audio, for me, is certainly subjective at times. It took a while for me to get my head around the fact that a certain combination of internal circuits, or components, when paired together, can be sublime! And if you swap out a component, despite the fact that it's specifications are similar, you get poor results!

And, you would never be able to predict that on paper! :smile: Even in my world, with our state of the art analytical tools, we still test. And have to correlate the test results to the predicted ones. Sometimes we have to alter the analytical tools to match the real world.

Here at CP, I'm learning. And loving it every day! I'm amazed at hearing differences (improvements) as I get new pieces! All due to the love and guidance from folks here on CP!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • nooshinjohn
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Imaging is everything to me. I would rather have the most incredible soundstage size, depth, and imaging along with a tonal balance I'm not thrilled with than something that images poorly with a tiny stage but is tonally amazing.

It's the whole package for me. A large, soundstage is a complete fail without proper imaging and sonic accuracy. What good is having an expansive sound field if what appears within that space sounds like crap.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825

It's the whole package for me. A large, soundstage is a complete fail without proper imaging and sonic accuracy. What good is having an expansive sound field if what appears within that space sounds like crap.

Well put. Until I listened to a pair of SDAs, I didn't know how good audio could/should be. Now, I am not so naive to think my 2Bs can't be bested by other speakers, but it would take a lot to get mine away from me.

PS. I quoted you so, sorry, everyone can see it now LOL :p
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Nightfall
    edited October 2019

I definitely agree. I'm just saying if those were the only two choices, to put in perspective how important imaging and sound stage is to me.

• F1nut
    Does anyone else find it odd that someone who said the following keeps posting in L800 SDA-Pro threads?
    We are thinking about maybe doing the L600 (SDA is not important to me)

OH SNAP!!!

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Does anyone else find their system images differently (worse) during the day then at night in the dark?

• SIHAB
    "The speaker designers I talk to believe you don’t need world class drivers. You can take good drivers, get the electroacoustics right and use quality capacitors and draw out incredible sound."

I find this comment incredible. Go cheap on the drives and do expensive XO?
    Then tune the sound from good to incredible?

I have to laugh at people that want to buy new $6000 speakers that
    engineers have spent untold hours on fine tuning and then want to
    right away want to upgrade and fine tune. Why not just buy speakers
    you like?

I can see it in 10 years when the caps are out of spec or whatever.

OTHO if we can get the Polk engineers off to the side and get their
    recommendations on what XO components to upgrade what the heck.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Nightfall
    Is it equally ridiculous to you that somebody out there is going to buy a brand new C8 Vette and immediately throw a turbo on it?

• nooshinjohn
    Is it equally ridiculous to you that somebody out there is going to buy a brand new C8 Vette and immediately throw a turbo on it?

For me it would be.... especially since you have a new car warranty and a factory turbo car is about a year out.

• SIHAB

Is this directed at me? It is a straw man argument. (if I understand you correctly)

To use your analogy correctly you would have to maybe remove some resistors
    and inductors.
  • F1nut
    VR3 wrote: »
    Once you know what quality crossover components do, you can never go back.

I'm proud of you, Sid the kid.

President of Club Polk

• verb
    I can say that being in my biz, we have to deliver a balanced product. One that meet performance expectations, safety, reliability, profit, you name it.

Every component, or final product, is a compromise, or balance, if you will.

So, if you take one aspect, say performance, and wonder, can it be improved? At least in my experience, the answer is yes! If your not concerned with the other aspects or consequences that changing this parameter would affect. Bigger engine, more torque, more stress on the chassis, body, drive line, etc. Better performance yes, but probably the other aspects may suffer a bit.

So the enthusiast will chase it. Bigger output engine, better brakes, chassis/body reinforcements, drive line improvements, and on and on.

It's called a hobby after all! :)
  • Nightfall
    SIHAB wrote: »

Is this directed at me? It is a straw man argument. (if I understand you correctly)

To use your analogy correctly you would have to maybe remove some resistors
    and inductors.

I'm just speaking in broad terms of modifying something for the better, not like for like.

• SIHAB
    VR3 wrote: »
    Once you know what quality crossover components do, you can never go back.

I don't doubt it. I bow to your expertise.
    Especially components w/ tighter % tolerances. ect.
    And Caps extra do sound different. I'm not saying otherwise.
    I'm saying modding the XO on new $6000 speakers sounds
    crazy to me.

If the imaging, ect is not to your liking find another speaker!
  • verb
    Personally, would I mod them, or a new Vette? Probably not immediately, but in the future, ya never know.

But I totally get why others would. It's about passion, enthusiasm, and tweaking every ounce of performance you can out of em!

I recall back in the day I was very big into overclocking CPU's on my home built computers. Did a lot of alternative cooling techniques cause those poor little CPU's were running very hot!

Why? Cause it was possible! Better performance? Sure! Measurable? Yep!

But in the end those little CPU's wouldn't last as long. So off to buying then next gen!

Just a hobby. :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    I'm just going to remind those that the new SDA XO had the EXACT values written on the components. NOW I'd like to think POLK testing was meant to get some to be REAL close to the EXACT value needed with caps that will be used in production and that to me means that those values are needed. Since Polk is not building the production models as they will be built by others more than likely in Asia they tend to loose that ability to test each part. To show off your new creation I understand why they wanted them to be much tighter to spec.