Candy store for OPPO owners?

Comments

• honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    To something that @DarqueKnight said when he did his upgrade. It DOES seem louder. Not in comparison with before I did the upgrade. In this case in comparison with the Pioneer Elite now.
  • honestaquarian
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    5sgutz6et6xh.jpg

two things
    1. Thank god there was no soldering :D

2. Will the old cover not fit over the new power supply? that is what that cover was for correct?

@pitdogg2 Just to be clear since you brought it up four years out. The dreadnought is still perfectly functional and has never been reopened.
  • honestaquarian
    bhpyq7dv3j5k.jpeg

Remember when Pop/Rock albums had something called “Dynamic Range“??
    That whole thing about Oppo’s sounding detailed, but cold and clinical doesn’t hold completely true here anymore since the upgrade. As you can see from the pic-this is the MoFi CD.
    Detailed? ☑️
    Warm?☑️
    Cold?✖️
    Clinical?✖️
    Dynamic?☑️
    The Pioneer Elite DVL-91 May sound a smidge warmer, but not as detailed.
    This is FUN!
    Remember when albums were just plain good music and not just a collection of a few songs to get some airplay/streaming hits and the rest is just filler??
    Remember when you would listen to the whole album from beginning to end, because it was all just so good??
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Remember when albums were just plain good music and not just a collection of a few songs to get some airplay/streaming hits and the rest is just filler??

Remember when you would listen to the whole album from beginning to end, because it was all just so good??

No. I have been listening to/buying music since the 1960s, and other than a Pink Floyd album there has never been an album worth listening to beginning to end.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    edited April 2020
    BlueFox wrote: »

No. I have been listening to/buying music since the 1960s, and other than a Pink Floyd album there has never been an album worth listening to beginning to end.

Oy such a picky beyotch!😁😂
  • honestaquarian
    q275bqh51m5g.jpg

Is THIS the Pink Floyd album to which you refer??
  • BlueFox
    Yes. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    edited April 2020
    I listened to the MoFi CD in the middle and now I'm listening to the SACD on the right. The MoFi sounds excellent of course. However even IT cannot compare to the SACD!
    The SACD is definitely louder and has better bass. It also doesn't sound as congested when things get really busy like on Us and them .
    I'm not even gonna bother to put the Capitol CD in after listening to those two!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    edited April 2020
    Nothing like the cash register chasing you around the room on money either. EXCELLENT ALBUM for surround sound.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    q275bqh51m5g.jpg

Funny, that’s my least favorite PF album. Perhaps the most over played album in history...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• honestaquarian
    When if ever are they gonna release the wall on sacd?????
  • honestaquarian
    daddyjt wrote: »
    q275bqh51m5g.jpg

Funny, that’s my least favorite PF album. Perhaps the most over played album in history...

That is probably the reason why this album was in the Guinness Book of world records for the longest run on the Billboard top 100 in history. The run began in 1973 when it was released and finally ended sometime in the 80’s.
  • BlueFox
    daddyjt wrote: »
    q275bqh51m5g.jpg

That is probably the reason why this album was in the Guinness Book of world records for the longest run on the Billboard top 100 in history. The run began in 1973 when it was released and finally ended sometime in the 80’s.

I bought it when it first came out in 73, and must have played it constantly, and bought multiple copies and formats, for ten years. However, I am not even sure if I have it now. For the last two years I have just been buying and listening to Metal.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    eu2dsb7fo03b.jpeg

To my ears whenever there is a difference in sound, I most often hear it in the bass first. Not always, but quite often. With this MQA track (free download links on Oppo’s website) I can definitely hear a difference in the bass between the RCA outs and the XLR outs now. Both are MIT S1 Shotguns.
    The XLR outs have more definition and weight in the bass now.
  • honestaquarian
    There are a whole rack of MQA CD’s for sale on eBay from Japan (they are popular there) Now I gots me a hankerin fer one. I think I’m gonna order one and see how it sounds.
    Those of you who own the Oppo 4K players please remember ONLY THE 205 WILL PLAY MQA. Sorry for those of you who own the 203.
    Sucks ta be you!!😝😉😂
  • honestaquarian
    cj2vbvro6yr4.jpeg

My very first MQA CD 💿
    Stay tuned
  • honestaquarian
    kcehfxiog90u.jpeg
    zyrc7zlf2dd6.jpeg

Once again right away I can hear better and more defined and prominent bass.
    I’m going to dig out the regular CD and do a side by side.
  • honestaquarian
    h81ngu8e2ewy.jpeg
    Okay so while this sounds just fine, the MQA CD sounds louder and has better and more prominent bass. It sounds more.....................we’ll for lack of a better term.
    It just sounds MORE.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    And to think the good folks at MCA Music Group told her she had no talent and would never make it in music...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • honestaquarian
    And to think the good folks at MCA Music Group told her she had no talent and would never make it in music...

Yeah that was a LONG time ago!
    Do you remember the name of her first album as a solo artist? Please note what I said there because she started off in an R & B group and what was the name of that group?
  • honestaquarian
    edited May 2020
    I popped the MQA CD in the Pioneer Elite LDP and it is playing right now.
    They have a core of 16bit 44.1khz
  • honestaquarian

Yeah that was a LONG time ago!
    Do you remember the name of her first album as a solo artist? Please note what I said there because she started off in an R & B group and what was the name of that group?

The answers to those questions are:
    The name of the group was Chapter 8
    Her first album after she left Chapter 8 was the Songstress (which came out in 1983)
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 721
    I bought it when it first came out in 73, and must have played it constantly, and bought multiple copies and formats, for ten years. However, I am not even sure if I have it now. For the last two years I have just been buying and listening to Metal, and Lady GAGA.

Fixed that for ya >:)

This was a great read! If I had an Oppo I'd differently do this upgrade to it. I don't drink coffee though so I'd probably use ziploc bags instead of mugs for the screws. :D
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • honestaquarian
    HzTweaker wrote: »
    I bought it when it first came out in 73, and must have played it constantly, and bought multiple copies and formats, for ten years. However, I am not even sure if I have it now. For the last two years I have just been buying and listening to Metal, and Lady GAGA.

Fixed that for ya >:)

This was a great read! If I had an Oppo I'd differently do this upgrade to it. I don't drink coffee though so I'd probably use ziploc bags instead of mugs for the screws. :D

I don’t drink coffee ☕️ either. I already have too damn much energy as it is!🙃
  • honestaquarian
    edited June 2020
    It’s been three months since my Oppomod BD-ROM stabilizer came and went back to Korea (and I still have no clue as to WHY it got sent back)
    I contacted Jaehong at Oppomod and he is sending it to me again finally. Fingers crossed 🤞🏽 and hoping it arrives without issue this time.
    As long as I haven’t jinxed it by posting this, a review is forthcoming along with my usual pic blog of the installation.
    @nooshinjohn I’m gonna have to yank it outta the rack AGAIN
    This is all yo damn fault for putting that idea 💡 in my head ju fargon somenombench!
  • honestaquarian
    Okay my Oppomod BD-ROM stabilizer tracking said it would be delivered tomorrow. Then it shows up today while I was at work and didn't get dropped off. The e-mail I got said it will be delivered tomorrow.
    Fingers crossed
  • honestaquarian
    durmaqxpdd2f.jpeg

I FINALLY GOT IT!!!! (The excitement being due to more delivery hiccups)
    Walking home from the Post office now, then off to work.
    Installation pic blog and review forthcoming on my next day off. Stay tuned boys and girls