pz2nakrmxnbn.jpg

SOUNDSTAGE DEPTH!!!😱 :o:D
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited April 2020
    dvqrp57m0ftt.jpeg
    wbx3nund3f39.jpeg
    fqp4579844zw.jpeg

Some of the titles in rotation during the weeklong burn-in process. The last one Time Warp was one of the first three CD’s that I bought waaaaayyy back in 1986 when I got my very first CD Player. There is a warning on the bottom of the front that says this disc contains some of the most powerful content ever released commercially. So of course I HAD TO BUY IT!
    So far I’m noticing better bass, better dynamics, deeper soundstage. Better and deeper colors on Blu-ray movies. Last night I watched Avengers Infinity War and as is typical with Disney titles of late I had to turn the volume up higher than normal. Once I did the dynamics were incredible!
  • honestaquarian
    The display is a Panasonic “S”series plasma. One of the last ones that they made before they stopped manufacturing plasma displays and then pulled out of the American TV market altogether.
    They are sorely missed and I wish I could get my eyes on one of their OLED’s that are garnering rave reviews in Europe and Asia.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    You wanted to know about the comparison between stock UDP-205 and the Krell Evolution 505?

There is no comparison at all... The Krell SMOKES it in all regards. SACD to me, has always had a more relaxed dynamic to it, but not with the Krell. It is exceptionally fast and articulate. It does bass like nothing I have experienced to date. I only have a few discs, but those discs are superior to the other formats I have at my disposal, and by a wide margin.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • honestaquarian
    No
    No
    I want you to do the same upgrades and then compare the two
  • nooshinjohn
    Why would I do that if I am happy with it as it is? Video is only about 20 percent of what my setup is used for, and I may sell the Oppo and get the Pioneer instead and put some of the leftover cash into another part of my rig that gets more use.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    If you want to upgrade your Oppo then use a good Shunyata power cord. I was amazed at how much better the picture was.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    6zib4bl5ahb7.jpeg
    Dynamics are much better now once the volume gets turned up (typical of Disney titles)
  • honestaquarian
    Watching Endgame right now and noticing a marked improvement in the bass and dynamics. They are off the freakin chain now!!!
    I had no idea my system could muster these kinds of explosive dynamics with a DTS HD-MA soundtrack.
  • honestaquarian
    6dr5s2y7kil8.jpeg
    One of only two titles that Telarc released on both SACD and DVD-A around the turn of the century.
    Both sound excellent.
    Which do you think is better?? 🤔 💭
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    In my experience, DVDA is almost always superior, albeit by a narrow margin. I’ve only been able to compare about 10 albums in both versions though, and SACD is FAR more prevalent, so the comparison is largely moot.

Both formats are about as good as it gets, IMHO.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• honestaquarian
    In my experience the SACD has always won out because there is a LOT MORE information there. Kind of like the old Dolby Digital versus DAS comparisons that we used to do back in the day on Laserdisc. DTS always won for the exact same reason.
  • honestaquarian
    2dk4wwqx10e0.jpeg
    cdfm1eno86gf.jpeg
    rkpiy3an673d.jpeg
    djdi1cj607x0.jpeg
    xyv95iz3rtth.jpeg
    a1c43v7pzym6.jpeg

Some of the SACD’s which have been in rotation during the break-in period. The pop and jazz surround discs seem to sound more natural now and less “artificial” -for lack of a better term-When played on the surround layer. I am far less likely to jump for the remote and switch to the stereo layer now than I have been in the past.

Especially with the Herby Hancock Headhunters disc.

Now the surround layer is easier to listen to and less automatically fatiguing right out of the gate. Now I am more than willing to actually listen to the surround layer all of the way through instead of leaping for the remote two minutes in and pressing the audio button and switching over to the stereo layer👇🏾
    8t9w38dex4vm.jpg

• honestaquarian
    rk9z4rzdktls.jpg

Almost forgot I had this. First note to play my thought was wow!
  • honestaquarian
    edited April 2020
    dqdpfimgyfn3.jpg

Well sooner or later this had to go into the player. Boy am I glad it did!
    This is waaaayyyyy trippier and more fun now than before the upgrade.
    @nooshinjohn too bad yo fancy, schmancy Krell will only play the CD. The DVD-A in 5.1 is lots of fun!!!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,060
    edited April 2020
    rk9z4rzdktls.jpg

Almost forgot I had this. First note to play my thought was wow!

That is one helluva album. I forgot about the LP that I have. When jdjohn posted in the "cowbell" thread it reminded me.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • nooshinjohn
    dqdpfimgyfn3.jpg

@nooshinjohn too bad yo fancy, schmancy Krell will only play the CD. The DVD-A in 5.1 is lots of fun!!!

My Krell will do multichannel SACD. If I owned any DVD-A, the Oppo would get some use.

• honestaquarian
    dqdpfimgyfn3.jpg

Just got home from work and this was playing (I left the disc on repeat) and I swear it sounds even better today than when I first posted this pic yesterday. We are on day 7 of the break in, so we are done and now for some fun! (until the BD-ROM stabilizer comes)
  • honestaquarian
    ul7z357qa3ke.jpg
    qp16k79zv9re.jpg
    9ckubhpc6gyo.jpg

This is a perfect example of a song that I previously would never dare listen to in surround!
    While I still prefer the stereo layer, the front to back integration and left, center, right blending are so well done now that I can actually listen and enjoy it almost as much as the stereo layer.
    The hard cymbal crash when he sings "I'm strangled by your haunted social scene" now has a LOT MORE IMPACT!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    You should find this on SACD....

ygqpvr98se3h.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,297
    This is a great disc, especially for multi channel.

fcwqkshjmys0.jpeg
    xzlxhrmdt5c1.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• honestaquarian
    kb3lvhy86l8q.jpg
    I’m using separate cups so I can halfway recall where all of this stuff goes again.
    One of the screws holding that board is different from all of the others
    zu2p25uohklc.jpg
    What looks like a machine screw versus the other screws and it goes here👇🏾
    uj6oym2d9951.jpg

To clarify the above. There are actually 2 of those machine screws. The other one is all of the way on the right side of the rear panel. It is slightly lower in level than the other screws
  • honestaquarian
    x4vjziss5zql.jpg

Then out comes that board

The other machine screw goes into that U shaped silver colored bracket on the extreme right side of that board.
  • honestaquarian
    9aaxnfqmigmc.jpeg
    This is a free download from Oppo’s website links.
    Coherence is the best way to describe what I hear now front to back and side to side.
    This track also has some surprising and DEEP growling bass that really only comes out when you play the 5.0 channel version and also when you have a large Center channel.
  • honestaquarian
    uim8gyqc26we.jpeg

Playing this three DB below THX reference level and all’s I can say is DAYUM!!!
  • honestaquarian
    edited April 2020
    How does it compare to your Pioneer LDP?

Well we have a winner boys and girls.
    That Pioneer DVL-91 Laserdisc/DVD combi player with the legendary Legato Link D/A converter ain't no slouch that is fo damn sho. However now the Oppo edges her out. Especially in the bass where there is more detail. Particularly when listening to the XLR outs. The bass on the Pioneer is definitely there and definitely deep. However I can hear the individual notes better on the Oppo now. When I go back to the Pioneer they sound kind of wooly and undefined.
    So far I've only played two CD's, but the difference is quite clear

zxv5wsp0q4ru.jpg
    This is the second one
    I can also hear a difference between the XLR outs and the RCA outs now. Both are MIT Shotgun S1's.