How do the new L800 SDA compare to the Original Legend SDA-SRS 1.2TL?

1789101113»

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Never thought I'd see the day when Polk, Marantz, and Classe were the same company and that new SDA speakers would be driven by Japan made Marantz and Classe gear at shows. :)
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited December 2019
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Sounds like L800 is geared for a single listener, especially if the soundstage doesn’t make sense if you aren’t in the sweet spot.

Doesn't that describe every proper audiophile system? :D

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    No.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Sounds like L800 is geared for a single listener, especially if the soundstage doesn’t make sense if you aren’t in the sweet spot.

Doesn't that describe every proper audiophile system? :D

I think a dialed in system (with the right speakers) has a much wider sweet spot. Obviously it sounds”best” in the middle, but mine does not collapse or get off kilter 3-4ft either direction of the sweet spot.
  • That sounds about right I think...Definitely best in the middle, and where any serious listening takes place. I enjoy the sound from anywhere, but imaging seems limited to about a 4' sphere around the sweet spot. Outside that there's clearly stereo separation, but not imaging. Sound about right? Or my **** all sucks and I need to change everything? Lulz.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• joecoulson
    But I have not owned SDA’s or even heard them so I can’t attest to their sweet spot.
  • Me neither, it's a Polkie badge I need... In the end if it sounds good to me good 'nuf. Then I'll reposition the speakers another hundred times until it's good 'nuf again.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Am I wrong in thinking a bit of toe-in might be in order for these?

Yes, you are wrong.
  • I’ll put that on the list of things to try if I ever get to.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    K_M wrote: »

Again not to ruffle any feathers, but they are not "Bad" really, but again fairly ordinary.

Ruffling feathers is all you do. You and your other half throw bombs, stir the pot, then wait for the fireworks.
    I'm done.

Okay uh so you have no reply basically?

You mentioned T/S parameters and I was expecting some discussion to ensue about what aspects you found superior or unique, but you have nothing other than basically calling ME a troll?
  • K_M
    edited December 2019
    audioluvr wrote: »
    K_M wrote: »
    No, because I am not bashing anything, nor anyone, but simply wondering what in particular you guys feel makes them so special.

Again they were fairly low cost, that is a fact.
    The replacement cost Polk MW woofers, are VERY marked up price wise.

Why don't you save us all some grief and every time you feel like posting a comment here just say "I don't like Polk speakers. Never have and never will"

Why beat around the bush???

Well I guess that would be true, except you are totally off base and just trolling. Look at the list of speakers we own. Jesus, that makes your comment come off as total BS rite?

I was questioning the claims that the older SDAs were impossible to improve on.

So FANBOY type comments are fine, but someone daring to question something that we ALSO OWN, are not allowed??

We have owned over a dozen various Polk models over the years, so uh yeah I "Hate them".....

Do you have a comment that will add to what I asked, or are you just looking to bash and troll like the "other guys" that are never able to discuss anything they do not agree with?

• K_M
    Of all the strong opinions I read on here it's interesting which ones get jumped on and who's doing the jumping.

Some of you **** better get a listening party going before you burn down the forum arguing about which is better. Besides its more fun in person, and maybe face to face you **** would show a little respect. You all suck in your own way, you're all great in your own way. Don't like it, don't respond.

Please stop cluttering up interesting threads with this useless ****. Take your pissing contests somehwere else. It's old.

You are dealing with several very thin skinned guys, that believe their Opinion is some factual thing, and no one can dare disagree, unless it is one of their circle of buddies, then they respectfully disagree with them.

If it is someone outside their circle of buddies, all they are able to do is say the person is a troll, or looking to stir the pot.

Most of that I believe derives from a lack of truly believing what they say is true, and having no factual data or explanations to back up most of what they argue.

So they resort to name calling.
    Obviously any other forum, most of them would be banned by now for constant name calling and bickering, but only on here are they able to thrive.
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Stop trying to stir the pot.

Ruffling feathers is all you do. You and your other half throw bombs, stir the pot, then wait for the fireworks.
    I'm done.
    audioluvr wrote: »

Why don't you save us all some grief and every time you feel like posting a comment here just say "I don't like Polk speakers. Never have and never will"

Why beat around the bush???
    F1nut wrote: »
    Trolling yet again.

Be very patient.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • K_M
    joecoulson wrote: »
    But I have not owned SDA’s or even heard them so I can’t attest to their sweet spot.

They do have a fairly narrow area to sit that brings out the effect best.........

But in all honesty, the Lsi with the Vifa tweeter, (having fairly narrow dispersion) also has a fairly narrow area that gives a very pinpoint image and sounds just right.
  • Clipdat
    Maybe 2020 is the year you try an aftermarket power cord.
  • joecoulson
    Polk LSi’s have to be the best towers ever made. I must secure some for myself.
  • Clipdat
    Absolutely Joe, just make sure you upgrade the crossovers with some Dayton caps and you'll be golden.
  • joecoulson
    Awesome! Gotta sell my Adante’s first. Or maybe I can trade them for some LSi’s?
  • Clipdat
    Sell your Adante's what first? Trade them for some LSi's what?
  • You knew someone would start this thread... For those that have heard both, or any SRS series speaker, how does the new compare to the classics?

A new Polk SDA CRS+ lover here, I wish that in the near future the company will have something smaller versions coming, like those were from the last SDA series 40 years ago.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    PolkNubee wrote: »
    You knew someone would start this thread... For those that have heard both, or any SRS series speaker, how does the new compare to the classics?

A new Polk SDA CRS+ lover here, I wish that in the near future the company will have something smaller versions coming, like those were from the last SDA series 40 years ago.

Originally, there were plans for a CRS+ size version, but obviously it didn't happen.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    I would seriously buy a new sda version monitor...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    After seeing the L800 at Polk HQ with the 15 degree angled tweeters I immediately knew why they didn't make a smaller version.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    F1nut wrote: »
    After seeing the L800 at Polk HQ with the 15 degree angled tweeters I immediately knew why they didn't make a smaller version.

It would be very hard to implement that in a smaller speaker.
  • F1nut
    Ed Zachary

President of Club Polk