What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    That is sometimes what's needed. I used to have as a signature here a comment that Gary Kaufman had made to me about the SE 2A3 amp I use and active preamps. I forget his exact statement now, but in essence he said, "some amps need drive more than they need gain".

:)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    I complained to my wife about how since it was raining today, my noise floor was going to go up.

She put her head in her hands and groaned loudly.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,123
    Picked up a CXN v2. We got to play around with it at Skip's place with various combos of other gear before I brought it home. Very excited about this purchase.

Amp is next on the list!
    v36u6ax21gts.jpg
    igwx6dzr4dn8.jpg
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited February 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    My Ruby came with cables!

ye9urio4zpwa.jpg

I see that kind of cable on many different kinds of equipment. They must be very good indeed, given their popularity.

;)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Yes. Nothing but the best.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,123
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Oh no!

lde0gzrjvri4.jpg

My Ruby came with cables!

ye9urio4zpwa.jpg
    It was almost a deal breaker for me, LOL.
    I've actually got the whole system on Blue Jean Cables currently. Had a set on the bench begging to be put into the game.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,934
    Plugged up the main rig to the Wilson Cubs, added a passive preamp from CI Audio. Liking the sound :)

ae0mnxpxanjl.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited February 2019
    I love it when Megatron and the autobots show up to help out like that.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Right?? I actually am going to consolidate those here soon, I preordered the 18" Optimus Prime 30th anniversary. Thing is a beast. Probably sell 3 or 4 to balance it out! :p

o1x6qmhe5679.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Comparing DH Labs Revelation IC to Groneberg series 3

Also compared ci audio passive pre versus using streamer as a pre, no contest there. I dig the passive pre, clean as a whistle with no sonic flavor. Very easy to compare gear

Good stuff.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,469
    I emailed Dan at Modwright about still having some hum coming from my preamp. He said to check the volume knob for a good ground to the chassis as in remove paint.

Using a VOM I found the powder coat is really tough to completely remove so I used a Dremel and got it clean. I also reworked the main ground and cleaned it more than my earlier first attempt. Now the hum is all but gone. Only noticeable with my ear next to the speakers.

I also had some tube noise so cleaned and reinstalled the tubes.

Easy peasy :)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Since I use the office system mostly for 2 channel I decided to see if the old Elite PDF-59 sounded better. Yes it does. I wonder if the Legato Link Conversion feature is part of that.
    It is also nice to load 25 discs at a time.

k9c6l38vy6dl.jpeg

@Clipdat turned me on to that "Legato Link conversion" method on Pioneers and Sony as being a fine decoder. Thanks Drew!

I never knew. Shortly after Drew opened my knowledge to it, I swapped out a player with the one ( that Drew spotted in a pic. I put on here ) Drew saw and I noticed a difference. My ears are old but there is a FINENESS about the sound. Details stand out!

I read in a stereo mag. where a reviewer mentioned how only Sony and Pioneer got to use that method for a few years and then they moved on to other chips. The reviewer said he saw NO reason to leave that very fine decoding method at all.

I feel the music is clearer and more alive thru my Pioneer CD changer with that decoder. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Tony M wrote: »
    dolbyd wrote: »
    Since I use the office system mostly for 2 channel I decided to see if the old Elite PDF-59 sounded better. Yes it does. I wonder if the Legato Link Conversion feature is part of that.
    It is also nice to load 25 discs at a time.

k9c6l38vy6dl.jpeg

@Clipdat turned me on to that "Legato Link conversion" method on Pioneers and Sony as being a fine decoder. Thanks Drew!

I never knew. Shortly after Drew opened my knowledge to it, I swapped out a player with the one ( that Drew spotted in a pic. I put on here ) Drew saw and I noticed a difference. My ears are old but there is a FINENESS about the sound. Details stand out!

I read in a stereo mag. where a reviewer mentioned how only Sony and Pioneer got to use that method for a few years and then they moved on to other chips. The reviewer said he saw NO reason to leave that very fine decoding method at all.

I feel the music is clearer and more alive thru my Pioneer CD changer with that decoder. ;)

Tony I agree with all that. I believe that the Legato Link is why I loved all my LD players over the years too.

The details and the noise floor is a lot better. I found myself pulling disc after disc out today. My LS90s sounded great today.

2- channel listening is a big part of my winter months.
    I am getting close to upgrading my emotiva X300 amp on that system. Great amp for the money but i have gone down the rabbit hole a little on this lately.
    Right now I am between a new A23+ or the PS Audio Stellar S300.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    My Pioneer player looks a lot different and I didn't know it had Legato Link conversion until I read the user manual for it. :)

PIONEER+CDJ-1000+MK3.jpg?format=750w
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    I lifted the components and cleaned the dust under them. Took sharpie and did some minor touch-ups on my sub.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I'm doing a trial run of Tidal hi-fi to see if I like it, unfortunately my Oppo Tidal app is a little glitchy sometimes; otherwise seems pretty cool so far...very soon I'll be getting a Bluesound Node 2i for streaming and I suspect it's support of Tidal will be far better.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    Today I checked the bias on my Scott 299B. Like always, it was spot-on.

Tonight I plan on testing a pair of Infinity Infinitesimals I have been rebuilding. Got the last missing piece, the EMIT tweeters, in the mail today!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    That should be in a permanent place of honor....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,731
    edited February 2019
    Replaced my two power supply fuses in the McCormack DNA-1, with a pair of Synergistic blue 1.6A. I had upgraded the single mains fuse last year, made a noticeable improvement in the higher frequencies, this was immediate.

Been reluctant to change these two but gave it a go.

Brief history...I have been listening for a few days with a change in the padding resistor, going from a .5 ohm Path Audio to a .56 ohm Path Audio, paired with the 22.5 Duelund. I went with the .56 because with the Duelunds, the highs were just slightly crisp...just enough that it was so close I wanted to see if I went any further on the padding resistor would the treble start to drop off.

The .56 is right on the cusp but overall quite smooth. However, with the two blue fuses that changes things. The upper midrange and treble are both noticeably cleaner and more detailed, enough that I'm not going to swap the .5 back in for now.

The .06 is not a big jump at all, but when you're already at .5 ohm, I believe it's more apparent.

Overall the clarity improved throughout, this time it's not just the treble, noticeably cleaner down to the lower midrange.

Here's a few gratuitous nudiez.

0ngml121zi8x.jpg

149gq5hdkm3l.jpg

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    Here’s a couple quite early and rare PS Audio pieces : a phono preamp Model PSIVa - MM or MC - serial number 28. Very respectable sound quality actually that holds its own against the GCPH concerning sound quality. The other is the VK passive pre, havent hooked that up yet. My college roommate bought these new in the 80’s and maybe about that time he also got a Carver cube amp and Alison One speakers. He hasn’t played vinyl in many years so gave me the PS Audio gear last week; he still uses the Alison’s as rear surrounds with Salk fronts and center.

lpm347unyv6v.jpeg
    nl2edt57twi0.jpeg
  • VR3
    That should be in a permanent place of honor....

Possibly... I am sending it off for service to a tech pass recommended. The amp sounds "fine" but when idling the right side runs about 2 to 3 times hotter than the left. Hoping it is just a bias issue, will see.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2019
    Swapped out some IC’s and SC’s yesterday.

Installed a new table last night.

Swapped out the included cart on the new table for the Nagaoka MP-110 after carefully aligning it on the ol’ protractor. Huge difference. Sounded very good with the OE cart and the MP-110 took it to a whole different level.
    2tbktrpjcael.jpeg
    25zfvw1ipe1p.jpeg
    lrziolsdd7sq.jpeg
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    Received the last of the 10 electrolytic capacitors needed to replace those on the power supply side of the Joule. I soldered leads onto the four that are not sized the same as the original ones. It’s been a long time since I did any careful soldering (Dynakits). Once this is done, I’ll look into those in the signal path.
  • Took out my futon and put in a love seat recliner. Added a tube buffer and moved my speakers around.

Pretty blissful right now.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    That's a final tweak I still need to do, once I replace the wall outlet with a high quality unit---then better power cords.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2