What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,515
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Great job on your custom stands @mlistens03. I like how you have the top plate exactly the same size as the speaker.

Now hurry up and spike the bottom base plate before Jesse finds out there isn't any.

Planning on spiking it, but I have to get a set first. None on Amazon, and I can get 4 for $10 on PE, but it comes out to like $27 including shipping, and I’d like to not spend more on the spikes than I did on the entire stands... ;)
    Micah
    If you're reading this, I've put up devices for a week; maybe more. I'll talk you guys later!
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • verbverb Posts: 6,078
    Great job on your custom stands @mlistens03. I like how you have the top plate exactly the same size as the speaker.

Now hurry up and spike the bottom base plate before Jesse finds out there isn't any.

Or, beware of Drew's incessant reminders! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, Marantz CD-1, Marantz AMP-1, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus Subwoofer, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 su, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Pioneer SX-N30 Network Receiver, Pioneer PD10AE CD Player, Furman M8-LX Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi Subwoofer
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 6,462
    Well unlike Micah, you already have the spikes. So really you have no excuse!
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,282
    halo wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Willow wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »
    With the new.

u30019n3eay1.jpg

Congrats on the new amp Cathy. So your Polk sub is in line with your mains and your SVS is to the left and right up against the wall, what's going on there?

Hi JF, Thank you it is nice to finally be as up to date as I can be at least for now with the ever changing specs for prepro's.

As for my SVS being further back, it is bigger than my little Polk, and closer to where I walk, I don't need to be tripping over it.

But also since it is a front firing sub, it has NO problem rattling the room when called for! :)

I never thought I'd see the day where you sold your Sunfire Amp.

Things weren't working as well as they used to after 20+ years of Cathy's jam sessions. Onward and upward to newer and better things (I hope) for @cfrizz :)

Precisely Victor!

Quite frankly, I blame the Professor (Mhardy) for jinxing me! But neither piece of gear owes me a thing since they were used almost daily, and on weekends rocked out at pretty good volume all day long from the time I got up to the time I went to bed.

Once things start acting flaky, because of how long I've had them I have less trouble moving on, then I go all out and bring everything up to current specs which is great!

I haven't sold either piece, I will keep them just in case. But quite frankly, my body is telling me I'm getting a bit too old to be picking up this kind of weight.

Fortunately, I'm on vacation for the rest of this week, so I have time to recover and break in my new gear!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
    @cfrizz How's that Classe Class-D sounding to you vs. the Sunfire Class A-B?
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,282
    edited February 4
    Hi Clip, for the majority of my music it sounds fine. There is a little lack of clarity with my DVD-As in the rear channels but the SACD's are fine. It just might need more break in time. But it isn't anything I can't live with.

I will give a review in a couple of months once both the gear and I have a chance to settle down and get acquainted.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,448
    edited February 4
    Heh, heh, heh -- why, just tonight, I've swapped those cheap-jack Dayton (PartsExpress) B652-AIR speakers in. I am listening to Joni Mitchll in full godessness goddlessness, as I think Joe Roberts or Art Dudley once put it :) and she's makin' me smile.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/partsexpress-dayton-airs-what-do-yall-think.3373/page-3#post-86655

I referred to myself in an e-mail to one of the local gurus over the weekend as an apostate for playing with this junk -- he corrected me, saying that given the hardware I was running at the moment, I was in fact an aposolidstate.

B)

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,422
    Like I said I made another and am running in the battery powered cables the ALACS and a marantz integrated I am using an old slim NR1504 for now and so far so good great sound signature for a bedroom
  • 55LS7055LS70 Posts: 168
    Just set the bias on the 6550's. Maybe later tonight, or tomorrow sometime, I'll put on a recently acquired, clean UK copy of Live at Leeds followed up by King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black. I must admit, recently I've been lost in the '70's.
    NEW P-3 Pre: RCA 12BH7, 2 X Telefunken ECC82 smooth plates, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
    edited February 6
    Was going to hook up my newly arrived PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Preamp & DAC (man that's a mouthful), but I bashed the crap out of my knuckles trying to get the boxes upstairs so not anymore. Not trying to get smeared blood all over my components and rack.
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,929
    C'mon man, power thru it! LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i | Preamp/DAC: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Signal Cable Analog 2 XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; DH Labs D-75 Dig Coax | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 20,188
    Was going to hook up my newly arrived PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Preamp & DAC (man that's a mouthful), but I bashed the crap out of my knuckles trying to get the boxes upstairs so not anymore. Not trying to get smeared blood all over my components and rack.

Somehow the word "klutz" seems like an understatement, and anything else would possibly be ban worthy, I will simply refrain from sayin anything more than be more careful next time. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    It was a ѕhitshow that's for sure!
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,401

Somehow the word "klutz" seems like an understatement, and anything else would possibly be ban worthy, I will simply refrain from sayin anything more than be more careful next time. :p

PFB reincarnated lol
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    PFB reincarnated lol

97ca4mot1axv.gif

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 21,448
    edited February 7
    One should be prepared to shed a little blood for one's art, you know?

zurkpujgoi9f.png

(full disclosure, I did discover, when looking for that iconic Annie Leibovitz image above, that she did touch up the very real guitar-induced damage to Big T's hand with
    some stage blood in the production of the final photograph :( )

j1ljuhajjgp1.jpeg

Put PS Audio Stellar preamp & DAC into system.

Initial impressions:

-Very black background
    -Lots of clarity and detail
    -Good rhythm and timing

Bass was anemic out of the box when it was cold, but is already improving after a few hours of use.

In general it seems to be performing well above it's price point, right out of the gate. I'm impressed.
    No pain no gain man... no pain no gain. :p

Congrats on the upgrade.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 7,762
    It looks like you could read that screen from across the street. B)

I have to be very close to read my CD players screen. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Tony M wrote: »
    It looks like you could read that screen from across the street. B)

I have to be very close to read my CD players screen. :#

There are three brightness settings, dim, normal, and bright. That was the default "bright" setting, I've since set it to normal and it's a bit less intense.
    Sorry, no editing, but I forgot to mention the fit and finish is very nice.

No scuffs, no scratches, no blemishes at all. Very nice feeling to buy brand new and actually get a piece that looks literally perfect and free of any manufacturing defects.

Literally the only thing I could notice is that when looking at the top with an LED flashlight, there were 4 very faint areas where you could tell that another one had been sitting on top of it. Not visible unless shining a high power light at it, and could probably be wiped off with a damp paper towel. Likely from when they were being tested/QC'd after being built in Colorado. Which I consider to be a positive thing, knowing that they were tested by hand before being boxed up.
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 2,576
    It’s a great pre and a fantastic DAC with a plethora of connections
    What’s not to love!!
    SPEAKERS - ELAC ADANTE AF-61, TOTEM RAINMAKER, SONUS FABER SOLO, DEFINITIVE TECH SM350, MIRAGE OASIS, SONOS PLAY 5 & 1'S, SVS SB16 ULTRA

POWER - PS AUDIO M700, LINN LK240, MARANTZ SR5013

PRE/DACS - PS AUDIO STELLAR GAIN, CAMBRIDGE AUDIO CXN V2

SOURCE - DENON 2910, SONY CDX355, JVC XM448, REGA P2 (MODDED) ANIA CART, REGA FONO MC, XBOX 1 S, TIVO BOLT

POWER/WIRES - AQ NIAGARA 5000, AQ HURRICANE HC (2M), AQ MONSOON HC (2M) , AQ COLORADO XLR (2M & 1M) AND RCAs(1M), AQ VICTORIA(1M), ACOUSTIC ZEN SATORI W JUMPERS(3M), ATLAS EOS PC, WW STRATUS X3/AURORA X1 PC, AQ CARBON HDMIs

MISC- OKKI NOKKI RCM, HARMONY ELITE, SONY 75XBR900E
    With preamp performance this good, the DAC is just an added bonus! Like a cherry on top.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,895
    Turned it on so that it will be ready to go tomorrow (Friday) night.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Turned it on so that it will be ready to go tomorrow (Friday) night.
    Your carbon footprint is showing again...

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 10,895
    Only at night since I have solar.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.