What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    @cfrizz How's that Classe Class-D sounding to you vs. the Sunfire Class A-B?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited February 2019
    Hi Clip, for the majority of my music it sounds fine. There is a little lack of clarity with my DVD-As in the rear channels but the SACD's are fine. It just might need more break in time. But it isn't anything I can't live with.

I will give a review in a couple of months once both the gear and I have a chance to settle down and get acquainted.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited February 2019
    Heh, heh, heh -- why, just tonight, I've swapped those cheap-jack Dayton (PartsExpress) B652-AIR speakers in. I am listening to Joni Mitchll in full godessness goddlessness, as I think Joe Roberts or Art Dudley once put it :) and she's makin' me smile.

https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/partsexpress-dayton-airs-what-do-yall-think.3373/page-3#post-86655

I referred to myself in an e-mail to one of the local gurus over the weekend as an apostate for playing with this junk -- he corrected me, saying that given the hardware I was running at the moment, I was in fact an aposolidstate.

B)

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Like I said I made another and am running in the battery powered cables the ALACS and a marantz integrated I am using an old slim NR1504 for now and so far so good great sound signature for a bedroom
  • 55LS70
    55LS70 Posts: 184
    Just set the bias on the 6550's. Maybe later tonight, or tomorrow sometime, I'll put on a recently acquired, clean UK copy of Live at Leeds followed up by King Crimson's Starless and Bible Black. I must admit, recently I've been lost in the '70's.
    Decware CSP3 Preamp, RCA 6DJ8, 2 X Rocket 6N1P-EV's, Cary SLA70B Signature V2 Amplifier: 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA/GE 5691's, 4 X Tung-Sol 6550's

Cambridge Audio 640C V2 CD Player & Dacmagic DAC

Rega Planar 3: Deep Groove Subplatter, P3 Motor
    upgrade, Dynavector 10x5, JA Michell counterwieght, Cardas tonearm wiring and Mapleshade stand

Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid Phonostage with BEL 6922 tubes, Polk Audio LS70's

H.H. Scott 330D AM/FM Tuner with H.H. Scott 335 Multiplex adaptor.
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2019
    Was going to hook up my newly arrived PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Preamp & DAC (man that's a mouthful), but I bashed the crap out of my knuckles trying to get the boxes upstairs so not anymore. Not trying to get smeared blood all over my components and rack.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    C'mon man, power thru it! LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Was going to hook up my newly arrived PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell Preamp & DAC (man that's a mouthful), but I bashed the crap out of my knuckles trying to get the boxes upstairs so not anymore. Not trying to get smeared blood all over my components and rack.

Somehow the word "klutz" seems like an understatement, and anything else would possibly be ban worthy, I will simply refrain from sayin anything more than be more careful next time. :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Clipdat
    It was a ѕhitshow that's for sure!
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,637

Somehow the word "klutz" seems like an understatement, and anything else would possibly be ban worthy, I will simply refrain from sayin anything more than be more careful next time. :p

PFB reincarnated lol
  • Clipdat
    PFB reincarnated lol

97ca4mot1axv.gif

• mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    One should be prepared to shed a little blood for one's art, you know?

zurkpujgoi9f.png

(full disclosure, I did discover, when looking for that iconic Annie Leibovitz image above, that she did touch up the very real guitar-induced damage to Big T's hand with
    some stage blood in the production of the final photograph :( )

• nooshinjohn
    j1ljuhajjgp1.jpeg

Put PS Audio Stellar preamp & DAC into system.

Initial impressions:

-Very black background
    -Lots of clarity and detail
    -Good rhythm and timing

Bass was anemic out of the box when it was cold, but is already improving after a few hours of use.

In general it seems to be performing well above it's price point, right out of the gate. I'm impressed.
    No pain no gain man... no pain no gain. :p

Congrats on the upgrade.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    It looks like you could read that screen from across the street. B)

I have to be very close to read my CD players screen. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Tony M wrote: »

There are three brightness settings, dim, normal, and bright. That was the default "bright" setting, I've since set it to normal and it's a bit less intense.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Congrats Drew! She's a beauty!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Sorry, no editing, but I forgot to mention the fit and finish is very nice.

No scuffs, no scratches, no blemishes at all. Very nice feeling to buy brand new and actually get a piece that looks literally perfect and free of any manufacturing defects.

Literally the only thing I could notice is that when looking at the top with an LED flashlight, there were 4 very faint areas where you could tell that another one had been sitting on top of it. Not visible unless shining a high power light at it, and could probably be wiped off with a damp paper towel. Likely from when they were being tested/QC'd after being built in Colorado. Which I consider to be a positive thing, knowing that they were tested by hand before being boxed up.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    It’s a great pre and a fantastic DAC with a plethora of connections
    What’s not to love!!
  • Clipdat
    With preamp performance this good, the DAC is just an added bonus! Like a cherry on top.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Turned it on so that it will be ready to go tomorrow (Friday) night.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • nooshinjohn
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Your carbon footprint is showing again...

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Only at night since I have solar.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    Some of us need that, you know?

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Your carbon footprint is showing again...

yai0cwgvwfmx.jpg

eenvlgvmcmcu.gif

Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • steveinaz

As noted, you can change the display brightness, and also the display is programmable to turn-off from 10 seconds to an hour after any button is pressed. default is 10 seconds.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    I think Skip's observation of not needing to turn it up, comes from what I observed about the muscle of this preamp. It's got good "drive" for lack of a more descriptive word.