What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    That's the fun thing with TT's...a simple cartridge change can make a huge difference.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I must have a crappy CD setup because I do not have near the $$ as that Cart you have and my setup clearly (to my ears) beats the CD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    The cartridge game can be a scary place to play however. They are so exceptionally delicate and expensive for what you get. The differences however, are noticeable immediately and can take a good table to new heights.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2019
    I have a 45 year old turntable with a Sure M97E cart and it beats a CD.

Low budget here.

Post edited by motorhead43026 on
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,034
    I've never once had a record beat a cd in any of my rigs......yet. I know it can be done as I've heard it done on someone else's rig. Perhaps this is the missing ingredient.
  • joecoulson
    edited February 2019
    You probably have a much higher end setup for CD's than most of us, I only have about $300 (used) in my transport (Denon 2910) but over $2500 for the vinyl with the table, cart and phono pre
  • motorstereo
    The cartridge game can be a scary place to play however. They are so exceptionally delicate and expensive for what you get. The differences however, are noticeable immediately and can take a good table to new heights.

Agreed and being somewhat of a klutz I was a bit nervous. But the cart swap really wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had anticipated. A few simple rules; wear a short sleeve shirt, work slowly and methodically, keep the guard in place as long as you can and keep your eyes on the prize at all times.
    Once the swap was done the two things I noticed immediately was hearing more from the background than I'd ever heard before and the bass output increased as well.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    Joe: your Denon 2910 is no slouch - actually known for producing very excellent sound quality, the tray just sticks sometimes on every Denon I've ever had. Nevertheless, a properly set-up turntable with a decent cartridge should generally produce a superior sound to a CD player all other things being equal, at least in my experience. Motorstereo, I assume you properly aligned the cartridge and set the VTA, etc? What are you using for a phono preamp? Is that Clearaudio cart a low output MC or high output MC? I'm very surprised you are not getting better sound quality than a CD.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I am going to have my table professionally dialed in now that I have all the parts in place.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • motorstereo
    [ Motorstereo, I assume you properly aligned the cartridge and set the VTA, etc? What are you using for a phono preamp? Is that Clearaudio cart a low output MC or high output MC? I'm very surprised you are not getting better sound quality than a CD.

Yes the cart's aligned properly using a mirror protractor, VTA is off ever so slightly as I'm going to be using a mat soon so I didn't adjust that. I'm using the stock MC input on my Mcintosh C100 which is a decent quality Ortofon unit. I've only listened to one album side so far so it's too early for me to pass judgement on whether or not it bests a cd. I'm truly hoping it does. My digital isn't really anything fancy; a 15 year old Mac cd-dvd unit (mvp831) for a transport into a Mac dac (D100) using MIT digital into the dac and MIT shotgun XLR's into the pre. So far it's bested any vinyl I own but the gap has been narrowed significantly and I'm really hoping vinyl overtakes it for sound quality.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    Doesn't the cartridge need time to break-in?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Installed some XLR's on my new toy. They are cooking right now. I will wait until they are al dente until I pass judgment on them. They did give a db boost like someone said. I think someone said that.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited February 2019
    ^^yeah you will get a DB boost. Some mistake this as a better sound.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @motorhead43026 I still have the RCA's connected so I can do an easy AB
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,123
    joecoulson wrote: »
    6db on the CXN
    That's a big bump, especially considering the CXN already is coming in significantly hotter than my analog chain.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • dromunds

Yes the cart's aligned properly using a mirror protractor, VTA is off ever so slightly as I'm going to be using a mat soon so I didn't adjust that. I'm using the stock MC input on my Mcintosh C100 which is a decent quality Ortofon unit. I've only listened to one album side so far so it's too early for me to pass judgement on whether or not it bests a cd. I'm truly hoping it does. My digital isn't really anything fancy; a 15 year old Mac cd-dvd unit (mvp831) for a transport into a Mac dac (D100) using MIT digital into the dac and MIT shotgun XLR's into the pre. So far it's bested any vinyl I own but the gap has been narrowed significantly and I'm really hoping vinyl overtakes it for sound quality.

Motorstereo: You have fine gear. Your cart is top notch, looks like your cart's a medium output. Not familiar with the phono stage of the McIntosh C100 other than the preamp has a great reputation. It looks like the recommended load for your cart is 300. Not sure whether you can adjust load and gain on the Mac C100, but I saw somewhere that it looked like the MC phono input on the Mac was 5 ohms. Maybe someone can chime in as to suggestions. There is no way in my humble opinion that you should not be sounding better with vinyl than CD. Also, that cart will need break-in time.
  • motorstereo
    Thanks dromunds I appreciate your comments; I've done a bit more listening and it's getting closer and I think right now I'd have to give the edge to the vinyl. There's more detail and it's a more pleasant detail to listen to if that makes any sense. It looks like the day may have finally arrived here that vinyl bests a cd. But I'm not going overboard with a quick judgement just yet as I need some long term sessions first.

Yes the MC input is only 10 ohms on the Mac it's non adjustable and CA does recommend 300. I have a Clearaudio nano MC pre with adjustable loading that I may try at some point but for right now I'm pretty damn happy with the new sound. There's about 16 hours on the cart right now so yes it may need a bit more break in.
  • joecoulson
    My output in my system (vinyl) is very low, I have to crank to 85 of 100 to get to the reference levels of 50 of 100 as compared to other sources. But my Cart is very low output also
  • dromunds
    Motorstereo, I would try to hit up a couple guys like SCompRacer for example about your load issue. He may have a real easy suggestion, my brain is dead right now on this Friday afternoon. Lol. I don't know anything about the Clearaudio nano but I would definitely try the adjustable loading and try it at 250 and 300 and see if that makes any difference. I rather think you should be significantly better sounding than CD's but there I again I'm not familiar with all your gear and its good stuff all around it appears. I wouldn't be surprised if you need 50-100 hours of break-in on the cart.
  • motorstereo
    ^^^^I must say I'm very pleased with the sound and having given it some thought I've decided I'm not going to try the CA Nano. Reason being it didn't best my old C33 preamp and my present C100 has easily bested the 33's mm phono input. The jury is still out on which format is better though. It's not the playback equipment imo it's the format itself. Even the very best Sheffield recordings have some background noise, dynamics are not as good as a well recorded cd nor is the separation. So records have 3 strikes against them even before I start the comparison. But I must say this new cart is an outstanding upgrade which has brought my vinyl playback to a new level here and has me really looking forward to spinning vinyl once again.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2019
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    uw9hyq7d5cr8.jpg
    Today (yesterday) I found some AudioQuest cables and a Salamander on the front porch. Decided I may as well set them up... :o;)
    Received a shipment. :)

Outstanding!!!

I'm using Audioquest cables in my setup as well :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • joecoulson
    Sweet Micah
    Wow if I only had a setup like that way back when. Any plans for a sub? And what’s next on the wishlist?
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,482
    Placed an order for some MoFi record sleeves and a Caig tube survival kit, for cleaning pins and sockets. After replacing all the power supply capacitors on my Joule preamp, I still had my left channel dropping out occasionally. After swapping tubes left-right, the problem remained in the left channel. Then I cleaned all the pins and, so far, no more dropping out. So I thought I’d better do the job more thoroughly. It’s probably time to think about replacing the rest of the capacitors.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Sweet Micah
    Wow if I only had a setup like that way back when. Any plans for a sub? And what’s next on the wishlist?

Well, if we're talkin' 'bout a wish list... Parasound A21, ALL212's Odyssey pre, and Kef Reference towers... ;)
    More realistically, I need to get some speaker cables, and I'm pretty much done. I got two subs to choose from already, both of which are SWEET, and other than speaker cables everything is pretty much done to the best of my budget. I do have some plans in designing a set of speakers, though I don't know if they'll ever come to reality.
    But at this point, I'm really just tweaking what I already have. Perfecting, if you will. :)
    And if it wasn't for you guys here I'd still be listening to my old crappy Onkyo speakers and AVR. thanks, so very much for all the help y'all have given me. :smiley:
  • joecoulson
    No need to thank, it’s a pleasure seeing the hobby live on in the next generation
    Pass it on Señor
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    t4mdsdsvtjq5.jpg
    bclhd7r1pgun.jpg
    uhh9mhbybses.jpg
    tqox57xcduss.jpg
    1y0cfty0go1e.jpg
    owxzlcizholg.jpg
    e6xrvwu1swzq.jpg
    0kuo82js74ha.jpg

Doc I didn't know bling was your thing! Love it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.