What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Playing around with an old preamp/processor, I had laying around...using its internal DAC paired with the Outlaw and LSiMs. Surprisingly sounds excellent. I have had this thing on several amps over the years and always found it to be a little subdued, just slightly. This is definitely the best I’ve heard from it. Synergy I suppose.

I think I’ll leave it in the rest of the evening.
    wjsp3sa40bd5.jpeg
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    ^^^ It's pretty.
  • mhardy6647
    edited February 2019
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I can fix that problem

ccyno6izobgu.png

or, perhaps

vxqk4bsx7dj7.png
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    oops :p

Does it have, perhaps, have selectable primary voltages on the PT?

alternatively, a big ol' stepdown transformer (at least 300 VA, more would be better) should get the job done.

Or, of course, the sender could just provide a model that was meant for the US market. :|

Thanks for the insight Doc. So I checked, no dip switches or anything like that. But I found one discernible difference. The US market amp has a jumper, while the new one does not.

c3ysn3p4oafh.png

Take a chance? Fabricate a jumper (easy) and plug it in? :smile: Well, I reached out again to the seller and he's gonna get back to SVS on Monday.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I can fix that problem

Or alternatively to the above, yes you can come over and put your fingers on the jumper leads, and we'll see what happens! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    verb wrote: »
    Take a chance? Fabricate a jumper (easy) and plug it in? :smile:
    That's a negatory, good buddy!

a93b2rwdxugc.png

B)

Well, I reached out again to the seller and he's gonna get back to SVS on Monday.

good, good.

:)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I ROCKED some Head East like a BOSS.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    Head East... nice.

:)
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Take a chance? Fabricate a jumper (easy) and plug it in? :smile: Well, I reached out again to the seller and he's gonna get back to SVS on Monday.

Just wait and let SVS sort it out, they will make the situation right.
  • verb
    edited February 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »

Just wait and let SVS sort it out, they will make the situation right.

Thanks Drew! Well, it turns out it was the jumper! The seller reached out to SVS (they're open on Saturday!) and confirmed. So we met up once again, got the jumper, popped it in, and, she's alive! :smile: Running it now on the nearfield setup, see how it goes. So far, so good! :smile:

And SVS is gonna mail the seller a label (apparently they use the same backplate) to display the correct voltage.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Well, glad it was a quick fix!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Dave, who discovered the little wire was missing from the new amp?

That was some awesome detective visual scanning powers! I always ask people over my life when they mention something is broken..." did you take the cover off and look inside to see if you could see anything out of place?"

I had a driver under my supervision once and he called me saying his truck is leaking fuel badly. I asked him if he knew where it was leaking from. He said under the cab. I asked him if he lifted the tilting cab up and looked. He said no. :s I knew exactly where the leak was 99.99% because I had that happen years before and I fixed it myself. It's just a design flaw on a fuel line. .50 hose replacement and 10 min. + time to go to an auto parts store. I would've even kept a spare hose under the seat if I knew it was a recurring problem but I didn't until that day.

Anyway, I'm also glad somebody spotted that missing jumper and it was a fast and easy fix minus the 3rd trip to meet the guy. :D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Glad it is up and running for you Dave! How does it sound?
  • verb
    Tony M wrote: »
    Dave, who discovered the little wire was missing from the new amp?

That was some awesome detective visual scanning powers! I always ask people over my life when they mention something is broken..." did you take the cover off and look inside to see if you could see anything out of place?"

I had a driver under my supervision once and he called me saying his truck is leaking fuel badly. I asked him if he knew where it was leaking from. He said under the cab. I asked him if he lifted the tilting cab up and looked. He said no. :s I knew exactly where the leak was 99.99% because I had that happen years before and I fixed it myself. It's just a design flaw on a fuel line. .50 hose replacement and 10 min. + time to go to an auto parts store. I would've even kept a spare hose under the seat if I knew it was a recurring problem but I didn't until that day.

Anyway, I'm also glad somebody spotted that missing jumper and it was a fast and easy fix minus the 3rd trip to meet the guy. :D

Hi Tony. I noticed the voltage label on the back of the amp, and thought uh-oh, time to pause before I button it up.

Professor @mhardy6647 suggested if there were any switches on the inside to flip it between the 2 voltages.

When I was looking at the guts, I noticed the new amp did not have the jumper, that was the only difference that I could see. :smile:
  • Tony M
    Thanks Dave.

So you had the other old amp there with you to compare?
  • verb
    edited February 2019
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Glad it is up and running for you Dave! How does it sound?

Hi Joe. Sounds great, rocking Juno Reactor right now in the office, but I gotta say, the baby SVS SB12+ digs a bit deeper! I'm gonna reserve my impression for a bit until the new amp breaks in. :smile:
  • verb
    Thanks Dave.

Yep. Gonna be a SB12+ vs. PB1000 smackdown! :smile:
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Thanks Dave.

Yep. Gonna be a SB12+ vs. PB1000 smackdown! :smile:

Can you play Olive's "Falling"? That is a reviewers song to test subs! ;):pB):D
    At 3:23 the bass digs deep!
    https://youtu.be/DyQGKeqWc9M
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I got a deeper teacher care of @Clipdat

ik7lq4gw5tuz.png
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Dennis Miller mods amps? I thought he was a comedian.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Can you tell me what I spent the majority of yesterday doing?? :o8ofwzzzyu7ej.jpg
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mhardy6647
    Dennis Miller mods amps? I thought he was a comedian.

everybody's a comedian.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    cfrizz wrote: »
    Can you tell me what I spent the majority of yesterday doing?? :o8ofwzzzyu7ej.jpg

Plotting revenge for Jesse being allowed to return?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    cfrizz wrote: »

Putting the Marantz on a shelf ? or...

Changing the poles on your rack so the upper shelves will be level again?
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    You got part of it Tony, what else?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    I can't find an older picture of your set-up so I'm puzzled.

How about the OPPO player?

or, the cassette deck on the bottom , maybe?

You're including the TV and it's rack, so maybe there's something new there. Maybe the black piece on the bottom shelf under the TV? It doesn't look like any cable box I've ever seen.

That center channel looks big. Maybe it is a larger one than the one you had before, if you had one before. :)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I ROCKED some Head East like a BOSS.

Recorded 25 minutes from my house in Pekin Illinois
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Classic CD (Flat as a pancake) that is actually very well recorded.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2