Equipment Racks

1246718

Comments

  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,732
    Trying to put together my VTI rack right now, and one of the points doesn't line up with it's recession below. It's "off" and not aligned properly. Not sure how to get around this.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,463
    IS the post cross threaded possibly, causing it to be slightly canted> IDK, just spit balling.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,732
    Nope. All of the points have screwed in fine so far with no cross threading or seizing issues.

    It's just the physical alignment of that corner's shaft I think. If I grab it super hard and pull it aligns, and then when I let go it goes back to misaligned. It's like the metal frame itself and/or the welds are slightly off.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    IS the post cross threaded possibly, causing it to be slightly canted> IDK, just spit balling.

  • machonemachone Posts: 1,202
    It should align itself once the rack is loaded with equipment . I had one like that with my VTI.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

    Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

    Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

    "All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,908
    Looks like that's one of the 12" legs. Right?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,732
    edited February 2018
    I used my feeble nerd arms to use brute force and bend it, and now it's aligning better. Yay.
    machone wrote: »
    It should align itself once the rack is loaded with equipment . I had one like that with my VTI.

    Edit: Tony, it was one of the 7" sections.
    Tony M wrote: »
    Looks like that's one of the 12" legs. Right?

  • TNTsTunesTNTsTunes Posts: 756
    edited February 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »
    xp3mm5cuzwzg.png

    Does the top side line up correctly?

    You could stick a pipe that just fits in it and try some manual persuasion. That should work.

    It just needs a bit of caressing.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 7,195
    edited February 2018
    VTI has suggested to folks whack the leg with a rubber mallet. Experience with hammer wielding to achieve a desired result will help assure a positive outcome. One could dent the leg though.

    TNT's above suggestion sounds good. The caps come off easily, just be careful of the finish.

    Or like machone said, load it.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,732
    Yeah, I see now in the instruction manual that they mention a rubber mallet may be necessary due to things getting knocked out of alignment during "shipping and handling".

    AKA, if your rack was made at the factory on a Monday vs. a Friday. :)
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,984
    They've had issues like that going back years and years and why I'll never recommend a VTI rack or stands. You'd think by now they would have fixed their quality control problems.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,732
    edited February 2018
    I figured at this price point that the quality would be better than this.

    I had a few more alignment issues with another frame piece. The end caps did not seem to be hammered down all the way, they are simply not installed evenly. I couldn't get them to budge, but I might try putting a towel over them tomorrow and giving some light taps with a hammer to see if I can fully seat them.

    Additionally, two of the end caps that you screw the spikes into had little raised lips on the surface where the spike meets the cap - the metal wasn't completely flat like the others. As a result, the spike's alignment when fully screwed in is skewed and not straight/90 degrees.

    This isn't "oh it might have gotten misaligned during shipping", but rather straight up poor quality control.
    F1nut wrote: »
    They've had issues like that going back years and years and why I'll never recommend a VTI rack or stands. You'd think by now they would have fixed their quality control problems.

  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,921
    when you put equipment with weight on the shelf it will align.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, Cayin Venus cd-100i, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2, Gabriel Gold Reckoning
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,732
    The section that I posted about earlier is the only one that required brute force to try to bend and fix the alignment, which I was able to do.

    The others are aligned as it stands currently, it's just visually disappointing to see the silver caps not installed correctly and two of the spikes coming down at something other than a 90 degree angle. That's what I meant about poor quality control.

    It's just not built to as exacting standards of fit and finish that I would expect for the price. Shrug.
    marvda1 wrote: »
    when you put equipment with weight on the shelf it will align.

  • halohalo Posts: 5,487
    Sadly, you never know what you're going to get these days. The rack I had from VTI had no issues whatsoever. Sorry about the trouble you're experiencing with it.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,463
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The section that I posted about earlier is the only one that required brute force to try to bend and fix the alignment, which I was able to do.

    The others are aligned as it stands currently, it's just visually disappointing to see the silver caps not installed correctly and two of the spikes coming down at something other than a 90 degree angle. That's what I meant about poor quality control.

    It's just not built to as exacting standards of fit and finish that I would expect for the price. Shrug.
    marvda1 wrote: »
    when you put equipment with weight on the shelf it will align.

    Though these are nice looking racks, and, appear to be decent solid racks, they are, by far, on the lower end of the price spectrum when it comes to audio racks. If you can get it lined up after putting some weight on it, and are happy with the overall look and stability, I'd forget all about that little detail and be thankful that you got a nice looking, fairly stable rack at that price point. I'm still balking at spending somewhere in the $2K-$3k range for what is still a "fairly priced" rack. I'm seeing stuff in the $10k and up range.
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,732
    I should be used to it by now. It seems like with every major purchase I make there's something not quite right. I have bad luck I guess.
    halo wrote: »
    Sadly, you never know what you're going to get these days. The rack I had from VTI had no issues whatsoever. Sorry about the trouble you're experiencing with it.

    I would expect this quality out of the sub $100 Monoprice rack listed earlier in this thread, not a $400+ VTI.

    The caps not being assembled correctly and the spikes coming out at a wonky angle are more than a "little detail", imo. The fact is, it doesn't look like the product photo shown on their website.

    I get that made in China stuff can vary wildly in quality, but I don't think you'd be happy either if you just had purchased this, despite it being on the cheaper side of audio racks.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Though these are nice looking racks, and, appear to be decent solid racks, they are, by far, on the lower end of the price spectrum when it comes to audio racks. If you can get it lined up after putting some weight on it, and are happy with the overall look and stability, I'd forget all about that little detail and be thankful that you got a nice looking, fairly stable rack at that price point. I'm still balking at spending somewhere in the $2K-$3k range for what is still a "fairly priced" rack. I'm seeing stuff in the $10k and up range.

  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,732
    edited February 2018
    It's pretty difficult to illustrate the issues in photos, but here are some anyway:

    kd75nzyozxhv.jpg
    xt002w9dhq2g.jpg
    5pe1114cntxf.jpg
    u23honftd01p.jpg
    r2855rk0fbdg.jpg

    All of the other metal shelf units are "acceptable", but this one should not have passed QC, imo. I'm tempted to just order another shelf.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 5,032
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Those are typically much higher maintenance.

    In a word: Yes.

    Plus, sometimes the "spikes" come out at a wonky angle.
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,463
    edited February 2018
    @Clipdat It looks like the end caps aren't seated properly. As if they went in slightly [email protected] eyed and aren't seated flush thereby throwing off the projection of the spikes, or, the receiving cup. Might try taking the spike out and lightly tapping with a mallet, or dead blow, to see if they seat properly. Should use a piece of sacrificial wood covered in tape to keep from marring the surface.

    Yeah, I'd be a little ticked, but, would make a decision to try and fix, or, return it. No hill too high...
  • soundfreak1soundfreak1 Posts: 2,853
    In this price level that is inexcusable and totally unacceptable! I'd be raising hell.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,307
    My VTI is not anything like that one... everything looks good and aligned. I bought mine 10y ago.

    Sorry buddy, do they send you new endcaps or replace the stands in question?
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs TSDx/Bluesound Node 2 -> Emm Labs DAC2x -> ??? -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers + JL Audio F113v2 x2
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Oppo 105D -> Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2


    Main speakers system evolution over the years:
    Klipsch Promedia 4.1 -> Axiom M22ti -> Sonus Faber Concertino -> Sonus Faber Concerto -> Polk LSi7 -> Polk LSi9 -> Martin Logan Mosaic -> AV123 Onix Ref 1 -> Martin Logan Vantage -> AV123 Strata Mini -> Martin Logan Summit -> Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor -> BW 802D2 -> Sonus Faber Stradivari -> Rockport Avior -> BW 802D3 -> BW 800D3 -> ???

    Old Gear:
    Speakers:
    BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source:
    Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification:
    Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased) -> ARC 5se -> ???
    Amplification:
    HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer:
    Infinity Entra2 -> SVS 25-31PCi -> SVS 25-31PC+ -> Dual JL Audio F113v2
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 7,195
    Having owned a couple of VTI racks, the end caps on the older racks were much thicker than the new ones.

    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

  • delkaldelkal Posts: 659
    kharp1 wrote: »
    @Clipdat It looks like the end caps aren't seated properly. As if they went in slightly [email protected] eyed and aren't seated flush thereby throwing off the projection of the spikes, or, the receiving cup. Might try taking the spike out and lightly tapping with a mallet, or dead blow, to see if they seat properly. Should use a piece of sacrificial wood covered in tape to keep from marring the surface.

    Yeah, I'd be a little ticked, but, would make a decision to try and fix, or, return it. No hill too high...

    I agree that the caps are not fully seated. But I think the bigger problem is the legs are not aligned. I would try and remove all of the endcaps and bend the legs till they are aligned with each other. Then place one on top of the other to check the fit and make sure the legs match up perfectly, it looks like yours are 1/8 - 1/4 inch off.

    And be careful bending! When everything lines up seat the endcaps fully with the mallet and wood.
  • dr1978dr1978 Posts: 296
    If you put your ear next to it can you hear a slight hum?

    Sorry, couldn't resist! Hope VTI takes care of you on this.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, B&K Ref 2220, AMC 2100, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk FXiA4, (2) SVS SB12-NSD
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 659
    I hope everything works out or you get a refund......... Its not good spending a lot of money on "cheap". But if you decide to spend a lot less for "cheap" check out this Sanus rack. Its only $120 shipped, can hold 200 lbs, and gets good reviews on Amazon. I know it is bare bones and not even close to most of the racks mentioned but it doesn't look too bad (at least to me). I just ordered one last night (before I looked at this thread). If anyone wants an update I will let you know when it gets here.

    82-160-053-01.jpg

    https://newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ1G98946



  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 3,801
    delkal wrote: »
    I hope everything works out or you get a refund......... Its not good spending a lot of money on "cheap". But if you decide to spend a lot less for "cheap" check out this Sanus rack. Its only $120 shipped, can hold 200 lbs, and gets good reviews on Amazon. I know it is bare bones and not even close to most of the racks mentioned but it doesn't look too bad (at least to me). I just ordered one last night (before I looked at this thread). If anyone wants an update I will let you know when it gets here.

    82-160-053-01.jpg

    https://newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ1G98946



    I like the Simplicity of these racks, I tried to mimick their look in my Racks

    c5uy0gxxkko9.jpg


    SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,463
    I wouldn't "bend" anything! (Loss of warranty). Send back for replacement or refund! Shouldn't have to bend it to make it right! Just very poor quality control. It can happen to any company (even though it shouldn't) what they do will speak volumes as to the company.

    Read the earlier post where the manual/instructions suggest using a mallet.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!