Equipment Racks

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    I hesitate doing too many room treatments since it's a rental, but I might post up a pic or two and see what people suggest. Even though it'll be embarrassing how lame my speakers have to be positioned.

I think the room might actually be slightly overdamped currently, but that's just my uneducated opinion.

And yeah maybe if I get a VTI rack I'll notice an aural improvement straight away with no other tweaks...?!
    DSkip wrote: »
    I don't think your system is far off if at all from showing those kinds of changes. The key is a solid cable foundation and treated room. It doesn't even have to be overblown, just focus on first reflections first.

Those are the two areas that made subtle differences blow into big ones in my own system.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited January 2018
    If one has some DIY skills, time, and patience can make something with the look and quality of some of a $1500-$3500 rack for much less. I ran across a craigslist listing that has a DIY rack in the picture. It reminds me of some other DIY racks that use brass hardware that emulate the Samason racks sold at the Mapleshape site: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Equipment-Racks/departments/16/

00101_h3yBiKPy4Mb_1200x900.jpg

Tons of ideas around the net, forums, pinterest, etc.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • Clipdat
    Couldn't hurt to try!
    Some panels and command strips can go a long ways.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    edited January 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »

It's possible Bud's system is just really THAT much more revealing, and thus the little things like isolation feet start to add up and make a difference.

When I first realized the benefits of clean power, and vibration elimination, I was using Cambridge Audio pre and amps, Wadia iTransport for iPod, and a Bryston DAC. All this on a flimsy home entertainment center. I was amazed at the improvement every time I upgraded a power cable, conditioner, a brass footer. The gear I have now is based on that foundation.

Also, at that time I was using a shared circuit that the whole left side of the house used.

gzaqcawo5ym4.jpeg

Post edited by BlueFox on
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    WLDock wrote: »
    If one has some DIY skills, time, and patience can make something with the look and quality of some of a $1500-$3500 rack for much less. I ran across a craigslist listing that has a DIY rack in the picture. It reminds me of some other DIY racks that use brass hardware that emulate the Samason racks sold at the Mapleshape site: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/Equipment-Racks/departments/16/

PM me that CL ad lol...
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Thanks for the insight. You might have better ears than I do. I don't know if I'd be able to discern/detect a sound wave's vibration/impact on the equipment and the associated negative sound quality.
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The vibrations on the equipment rack, and on the equipment, come from the speaker sound waves hitting them. Gear is susceptible to the tiniest vibrations, and those vibrations alter the sound. That is why in addition to having a solid, vibration resistant rack, the gear should also be on some type of vibration draining footer. I use Mapleshade Micropoint Brass footers, but there are other vendors and types.

Don't ever say that again please. You can hear a difference... everyone can. If your system was at his level those details can greatly alter the sound. You would be intimately familiar with the sound and pick up on it quickly.

I'm not being mean but that type of thinking is deadly to growth in this hobby. It represents a closed mind in a way.

You don't know what you don't know, as the saying goes. I had to take myself out of the mindset of "most of that stuff is bull, and, wouldn't matter on my meager system" and actually try some stuff id just ignored because it was easier than having to spend money on something that "probably won't make a difference anyway." I started room treatments with acoustic foam purchased from Walmart online and placed on the wall with painters tape. Easy, removable and enlightening.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's all about lowering the noise floor, which is something one doesn't notice until it is lowered.

Spot on here. Most don't know they even have an abundance of it, until it's gone and the results are eye opening. Because most don't realize they even have noise, they fail to even pursue cures for it.

Which, sometimes your better off being blinded, your wallet may appreciate that fact. :)

Nice racks btw, wish someone could make a reasonable one though that doesn't cost used car kinda money and looks nice.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    edited January 2018

PM me that CL ad lol...
    Coming your way, its from CL South Bend.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    FYI--Timber Nation will do custom work including just slabs. He would do slaps with pre-drilled holes if you wanted to do a DIY Maple Shades stand, just tell him what you want. He'll also put the custom stains.

pricing and shipping is very reasonable. Chris Futrick is his name and really a nice guy

If you go back to the LSAF threads (pics of my rooms) all the rack and amp stands were made by Timber Nation
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • WLDock
    Here's an expensive rack that I think is cool. I actually misses out a chance to purchase one of their entry racks for a couple of hundred. I like the vented banboo shelves.

Quadraspire X Reference
    quadraspire.com
    https://www.needledoctor.com/Quadraspire-X-Reference-Audio-Rack

CAD-source-and-grounding-components-on-xreference.jpg

4d9bcf19bf3732beaccfddf8d113857b.jpg
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    FYI--Timber Nation will do custom work including just slabs. He would do slaps with pre-drilled holes if you wanted to do a DIY Maple Shades stand, just tell him what you want. He'll also put the custom stains.

pricing and shipping is very reasonable. Chris Futrick is his name and really a nice guy

If you go back to the LSAF threads (pics of my rooms) all the rack and amp stands were made by Timber Nation

Going to contact Mapleshade tomorrow and see if I can order the gold/brass nuts, washers and cap nuts. I kind of like that idea. Could probably drill them out myself with a good Forstner bit. I can handle the stain part as well. Been looking, off and on, past year or two for the hardware like Mapleshade uses, but, I haven't found it, or anything like it.

• Clipdat
    Oh hell yes! Those vented bamboo shelves are perfect!
    Here's an expensive rack that I think is cool. I actually misses out a chance to purchase one of their entry racks for a couple of hundred. I like the vented banboo shelves.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,973
    I'll reel this back in a bit with Salamander Designs racks which are a little more budget-friendly, and still fully adjustable and customizable.
    03e5wfat98qx.jpg
    https://www.salamanderdesigns.com/modular-open-stands/ I picked-up a used one on CL for storing bullpen components.

For strictly turntable setup, I have one of these from Turntable Lab.
    hdptuf38kgdc.jpg
    https://www.turntablelab.com/collections/turntable-listening-packages-alpha/products/line-phono-turntable-station These are quite solid and heavy, especially once weighted-down with a couple hundred records. I can actually move records in-and-out of the shelves with a record playing without any skipping.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    edited January 2018
    I built speaker stands using the same interlocking slots as that bottom rack. My stands tilted the speakers backward a little bit. And there was no glue or nails or screws. They were super strong and rigid too. Everybody liked them. They were kind-of hobo artsy.

And I could take them apart and lay em flat. I used 1/4" Birch plywood though. I might still have them but I doubt it.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2018
    Nice. I remember when TTL first introduced that stand. Pretty nice piece, but a lot of people were complaining about the price and that it's MDF.

I'm pretty much sold on this VTI BL404SC rack at this point, with an additional 7" shelf added. Seems like it's a decent combination of looks, performance, and low price.

BL404SC1.jpg
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,469
    I bought a VTI with glass shelving. Loved the look but the glass ringed so a cut 3/4" mdf shelving to put under the glass. Filled the posts with sand. All good now!

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/179843/new-rack#latest
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    Nice choice w vti

I have one. Someday when I have extra cash I’ll spring for a new rack, but the vti has been so dependable, you’d have to spend a lot more to get significant gains.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    Went with the VTI BL404SC I posted above. Seemed to be the best price to performance ratio, it also looks damn good, IMO. Thanks to @helipilotdoug for the deal. Anyone looking for a VTI rack should hit up Douglas Connection.

Pretty excited that I'll have a proper equipment rack soon!

Thank you Drew :) Looks like your rack and extra shelf will be delivered tomorrow. Fun weekend ahead for you!
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • What do think of BDI? Are they quality pieces? I’m looking for something around 48 inches wide.
    HT- Samsung PN50B860/Integra DTR 30.3/Rt55 Fronts
    Rt35i Surrounds/Cs1000p Center/SVS BP1000 Sub
    2CH - B&K MC-101 pre/B&K EX-442 amp/NAD 2400 amp
    Polk SDA1C, Polk Monitor 7, New Large Advents and Polk RTA 8T
    BR - Yamaha CR800/Polk monitor 5
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,172
    What do think of BDI? Are they quality pieces? I’m looking for something around 48 inches wide.

The VTI BL503 is a great rack, Its 44" wide. I run one in my 2 channel setup
    XMkEuCF.jpg
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Am i imagining something, but was there a rack pic on this thread (hint-bikini clad)? Was it removed?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Yep, @Rick88 posted up some jugs that he couldn't afford, but now it's gone. Nice.
    verb wrote: »
    Am i imagining something, but was there a rack pic on this thread (hint-bikini clad)? Was it removed?

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    stangman67 wrote: »
    What do think of BDI? Are they quality pieces? I’m looking for something around 48 inches wide.

XMkEuCF.jpg

Nice man, sweet, clean looking set-up. How's those Focals breaking in for ya ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    My bad. I posted the unedited version. Here's the racks I like best.

v49a0rz8l01s.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • stangman67
    edited February 2018
    tonyb wrote: »
    stangman67 wrote: »

XMkEuCF.jpg

Nice man, sweet, clean looking set-up. How's those Focals breaking in for ya ?

Focals are sounding good. Mullards have been the best tube match so far as the top end is still strong on those speakers

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,373
    If she played her cards right......she could get lucky with me!
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,954
    That VTI BL503 is something we might consider. A reservation though would be how does it handle being bumped by a wife running a vacuum cleaner? Do the points sit into a dimple of some sort to help lock/stabilize the shelves?
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,853
    yes they do.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • stangman67
    edited February 2018
    Yop the stand is extremely stable. You’d have to hit it with a truck to know one of the “shelving units off