Equipment Racks

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    Trying to put together my VTI rack right now, and one of the points doesn't line up with it's recession below. It's "off" and not aligned properly. Not sure how to get around this.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    IS the post cross threaded possibly, causing it to be slightly canted> IDK, just spit balling.
  • Clipdat
    Nope. All of the points have screwed in fine so far with no cross threading or seizing issues.

It's just the physical alignment of that corner's shaft I think. If I grab it super hard and pull it aligns, and then when I let go it goes back to misaligned. It's like the metal frame itself and/or the welds are slightly off.
    kharp1 wrote: »
    IS the post cross threaded possibly, causing it to be slightly canted> IDK, just spit balling.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,469
    It should align itself once the rack is loaded with equipment . I had one like that with my VTI.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Looks like that's one of the 12" legs. Right?
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    edited February 2018
    I used my feeble nerd arms to use brute force and bend it, and now it's aligning better. Yay.
    machone wrote: »
    It should align itself once the rack is loaded with equipment . I had one like that with my VTI.

Edit: Tony, it was one of the 7" sections.
    Tony M wrote: »
    Looks like that's one of the 12" legs. Right?

• TNTsTunes
    TNTsTunes Posts: 751
    edited February 2018
    Clipdat wrote: »
    xp3mm5cuzwzg.png

Does the top side line up correctly?

You could stick a pipe that just fits in it and try some manual persuasion. That should work.

It just needs a bit of caressing.
    "Make a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day. Light
    a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    edited February 2018
    VTI has suggested to folks whack the leg with a rubber mallet. Experience with hammer wielding to achieve a desired result will help assure a positive outcome. One could dent the leg though.

TNT's above suggestion sounds good. The caps come off easily, just be careful of the finish.

Or like machone said, load it.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Clipdat
    Yeah, I see now in the instruction manual that they mention a rubber mallet may be necessary due to things getting knocked out of alignment during "shipping and handling".

AKA, if your rack was made at the factory on a Monday vs. a Friday. :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,663
    They've had issues like that going back years and years and why I'll never recommend a VTI rack or stands. You'd think by now they would have fixed their quality control problems.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    edited February 2018
    I figured at this price point that the quality would be better than this.

I had a few more alignment issues with another frame piece. The end caps did not seem to be hammered down all the way, they are simply not installed evenly. I couldn't get them to budge, but I might try putting a towel over them tomorrow and giving some light taps with a hammer to see if I can fully seat them.

Additionally, two of the end caps that you screw the spikes into had little raised lips on the surface where the spike meets the cap - the metal wasn't completely flat like the others. As a result, the spike's alignment when fully screwed in is skewed and not straight/90 degrees.

This isn't "oh it might have gotten misaligned during shipping", but rather straight up poor quality control.
    F1nut wrote: »
    They've had issues like that going back years and years and why I'll never recommend a VTI rack or stands. You'd think by now they would have fixed their quality control problems.

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    when you put equipment with weight on the shelf it will align.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    The section that I posted about earlier is the only one that required brute force to try to bend and fix the alignment, which I was able to do.

The others are aligned as it stands currently, it's just visually disappointing to see the silver caps not installed correctly and two of the spikes coming down at something other than a 90 degree angle. That's what I meant about poor quality control.

It's just not built to as exacting standards of fit and finish that I would expect for the price. Shrug.
    marvda1 wrote: »

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Sadly, you never know what you're going to get these days. The rack I had from VTI had no issues whatsoever. Sorry about the trouble you're experiencing with it.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    Clipdat wrote: »
    The section that I posted about earlier is the only one that required brute force to try to bend and fix the alignment, which I was able to do.

The others are aligned as it stands currently, it's just visually disappointing to see the silver caps not installed correctly and two of the spikes coming down at something other than a 90 degree angle. That's what I meant about poor quality control.

It's just not built to as exacting standards of fit and finish that I would expect for the price. Shrug.
    marvda1 wrote: »

Though these are nice looking racks, and, appear to be decent solid racks, they are, by far, on the lower end of the price spectrum when it comes to audio racks. If you can get it lined up after putting some weight on it, and are happy with the overall look and stability, I'd forget all about that little detail and be thankful that you got a nice looking, fairly stable rack at that price point. I'm still balking at spending somewhere in the $2K-$3k range for what is still a "fairly priced" rack. I'm seeing stuff in the $10k and up range.
  • Clipdat
    I should be used to it by now. It seems like with every major purchase I make there's something not quite right. I have bad luck I guess.
    halo wrote: »
    Sadly, you never know what you're going to get these days. The rack I had from VTI had no issues whatsoever. Sorry about the trouble you're experiencing with it.

I would expect this quality out of the sub $100 Monoprice rack listed earlier in this thread, not a $400+ VTI.

The caps not being assembled correctly and the spikes coming out at a wonky angle are more than a "little detail", imo. The fact is, it doesn't look like the product photo shown on their website.

I get that made in China stuff can vary wildly in quality, but I don't think you'd be happy either if you just had purchased this, despite it being on the cheaper side of audio racks.
    Though these are nice looking racks, and, appear to be decent solid racks, they are, by far, on the lower end of the price spectrum when it comes to audio racks. If you can get it lined up after putting some weight on it, and are happy with the overall look and stability, I'd forget all about that little detail and be thankful that you got a nice looking, fairly stable rack at that price point. I'm still balking at spending somewhere in the $2K-$3k range for what is still a "fairly priced" rack. I'm seeing stuff in the $10k and up range.

• Clipdat
    edited February 2018
    It's pretty difficult to illustrate the issues in photos, but here are some anyway:

kd75nzyozxhv.jpg
    xt002w9dhq2g.jpg
    5pe1114cntxf.jpg
    u23honftd01p.jpg
    r2855rk0fbdg.jpg

All of the other metal shelf units are "acceptable", but this one should not have passed QC, imo. I'm tempted to just order another shelf.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,628
    Those are typically much higher maintenance.

In a word: Yes.

Plus, sometimes the "spikes" come out at a wonky angle.
  • kharp1
    edited February 2018
    @Clipdat It looks like the end caps aren't seated properly. As if they went in slightly c@ck eyed and aren't seated flush thereby throwing off the projection of the spikes, or, the receiving cup. Might try taking the spike out and lightly tapping with a mallet, or dead blow, to see if they seat properly. Should use a piece of sacrificial wood covered in tape to keep from marring the surface.

Yeah, I'd be a little ticked, but, would make a decision to try and fix, or, return it. No hill too high...
  • soundfreak1
    soundfreak1 Posts: 3,373
    In this price level that is inexcusable and totally unacceptable! I'd be raising hell.
    Main Rig:
    Krell KAV 250a biamped to mid/highs
    Parasound HCA1500A biamped to lows
    Nakamichi EC100 Active xover
    MIT exp 1 ic's
    Perreaux SA33 class A preamp
    AQ kingcobra ic's
    OPPO 83 CDP
    Lehmann audio black cube SE phono pre, Audioquest phono wire (ITA1/1)
    Denon DP-1200 TT. AToc9ML MC cart.
    Monster HTS 3600 power conditioner
    ADS L1590/2 Biamped
    MIT exps2 speaker cable
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,492
    My VTI is not anything like that one... everything looks good and aligned. I bought mine 10y ago.

Sorry buddy, do they send you new endcaps or replace the stands in question?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    Having owned a couple of VTI racks, the end caps on the older racks were much thicker than the new ones.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    @Clipdat It looks like the end caps aren't seated properly. As if they went in slightly c@ck eyed and aren't seated flush thereby throwing off the projection of the spikes, or, the receiving cup. Might try taking the spike out and lightly tapping with a mallet, or dead blow, to see if they seat properly. Should use a piece of sacrificial wood covered in tape to keep from marring the surface.

Yeah, I'd be a little ticked, but, would make a decision to try and fix, or, return it. No hill too high...

I agree that the caps are not fully seated. But I think the bigger problem is the legs are not aligned. I would try and remove all of the endcaps and bend the legs till they are aligned with each other. Then place one on top of the other to check the fit and make sure the legs match up perfectly, it looks like yours are 1/8 - 1/4 inch off.

And be careful bending! When everything lines up seat the endcaps fully with the mallet and wood.
  • dr1978
    dr1978 Posts: 424
    If you put your ear next to it can you hear a slight hum?

Sorry, couldn't resist! Hope VTI takes care of you on this.
    Pro-ject 2 Experience SB, OPPO BDP-103, Marantz SR5011, Lounge LCR MKIII, McCormack DNA-HT5, Polk LSiM705, Polk LSiM706C, Polk LSiM702, SVS SB16-Ultra
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    I hope everything works out or you get a refund......... Its not good spending a lot of money on "cheap". But if you decide to spend a lot less for "cheap" check out this Sanus rack. Its only $120 shipped, can hold 200 lbs, and gets good reviews on Amazon. I know it is bare bones and not even close to most of the racks mentioned but it doesn't look too bad (at least to me). I just ordered one last night (before I looked at this thread). If anyone wants an update I will let you know when it gets here.

82-160-053-01.jpg

https://newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ1G98946

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    delkal wrote: »
    I hope everything works out or you get a refund......... Its not good spending a lot of money on "cheap". But if you decide to spend a lot less for "cheap" check out this Sanus rack. Its only $120 shipped, can hold 200 lbs, and gets good reviews on Amazon. I know it is bare bones and not even close to most of the racks mentioned but it doesn't look too bad (at least to me). I just ordered one last night (before I looked at this thread). If anyone wants an update I will let you know when it gets here.

82-160-053-01.jpg

https://newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1CZ1G98946

I like the Simplicity of these racks, I tried to mimick their look in my Racks

c5uy0gxxkko9.jpg

• kharp1
    I wouldn't "bend" anything! (Loss of warranty). Send back for replacement or refund! Shouldn't have to bend it to make it right! Just very poor quality control. It can happen to any company (even though it shouldn't) what they do will speak volumes as to the company.

Read the earlier post where the manual/instructions suggest using a mallet.