New MIT cables, adjustable articulation!

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Because he doesn't care Ray. He has an opinion and a wallet and neither dictate the time wasted.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    Options
    I have no horse in this race,only a willingness to learn Thats why I spent 3 hours watching the 3 cable seminars from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest!
    While some may be slightly dated the same principles apply in respect to current cable tech.
    So while it was nice of DK to provide the links [which I bookmarked] You can also spend a hour watching the guy that designed and owns the company explain what his product does and the reasons its designed to do it [pictures of the innards of his then top network box are included ]
    Aside from that seminar specific to MIT there are 2 others exclusive to cable that shed light on the design concepts of other manufactures
    For those that may find the value of learning about audio beyond what their ears can tell them You Tube has over 100 seminars from this respected audio festival All given by respected professionals in their related fields of expertise.
    So again if anybody would like to learn about various audio subjects often in a more concise and articulate way that can be described by those typing responses here I'd highly recommend going to You Tube and typing RMAF in the search bar The first link will provide a list of apx 80 seminars [more are available] To access the MIT seminar type RMAF11 high end cable
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Emotiva posts technical and subjective non-sense, funny how you let that slide. Oh wait, you own Emo gear so one better not crap where you sleep. Sorry, Mac gear has never really measured all that well, yet you seem to think it sounds great. So I'm not buying your, "look at the specs" to decide how things will sound and perform.

All the above you posted just shows how really clueless you are about this hobby, and that's OKAY. It takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Horsepower, torque, 0-60, 1/4 mile times only show a very narrow window of how a car will perform, ride, drive on an everyday basis. Only an idiot would buy a car solely based on printed specs.

If you don't want to be enlightened that's perfectly alright. Some day maybe even you will accept it.

H9

P.s. From now on I refer to you as the "selective preacher"
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Really??? Theory is one thing, real life is another
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    smdh.....If everyone would ignore Xtroll. He might go away.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    edited May 2016
    Options
    IMO it would be best to drop it and let x have it,Nothing can be gained with pictures, curt responses and testimonials that will prove to him that there is any virtue in MIT cable.
    And perhaps he's even right about their technical claims.
    But until someone with a high degree of knowledge pertaining to their technical attributes joins this forum no functional discourse can ensue.
    Bottom line is obviously they improve the snd.And I think it would be safe to assume that if asked 95% of professionals asked would agree that a varying level of improvement can be expected.
    Its also a given conclusion that most cable manufacturers exhibit a hefty markup on their products,This can be evidenced in Madmax's sale link on pg,5,Even when I asked my 80 year old mother what does it say when a $27,000 cable is on sale for $13,000 derived the obvious conclusion [they're definitely not selling at a loss and likely still making a substantial profit margin]
    But when considering this is a niche market it probably needs a exuberant markup to survive at a corporate level,Even if they where offered at a more modest profit margin they're likely not moving a amount that would prove sustainable to a corporate environment
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    The ideal power factor for real power transfer (i.e. power to do work like making a speaker produce sound) is 1 (one) not 0 (zero).

You are assuming a speaker is purely a resistive load, it's not. I'm surprised as an electrical engineer that you don't know that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Theory is a necessity for understanding and serves as the basis for design and testing.
    One has to have an idea about what one is doing, no?

Of coarse they do, if your building widgets, but audio isn't a widget and sound has too many variables to make it one.

Theory is relative in audio, it's the testing part that becomes pretentious because there is no basis for continuity, no baseline when it comes to hearing, no preference to meet all requirements.

That's the difference X, you want it to be one size fits all with charts and tests, doesn't work that way in subjective matters.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Haven't had to use this one in a while. Not going to visit this cesspool of a thread often enough to make sure it gets posted right after its "inspiration", so you all can guess...

DamnStraight.png
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Who hears at 80 kHz, 166.25 kHz, and 338.75 kHz?
    I don't think even your super hearing goes that high. I doubt Tonyb's does either. lol
    What is the relevancy of a 338.75 kHz test to audio?

Due to the concept of subharmonics, frequencies above the range of human hearing can affect what is heard. For example, a fundamental tone at 100,000 Hz will have subharmonics (undertones) at 1/2, 1/3, 1/4, 1/5, 1/6, etc. of the fundamental or 50,000 Hz, 33,333 Hz, 25,000 Hz, 20,000 Hz, 16,667 Hz, and so on.

The first CD players sounded harsh because they used filters that cut off everything above 44.1 KHz. These "brick wall" filters introduced subharmonic noise into the audible frequency spectrum which caused harsh sound. The industry then moved to 8X oversampling filters (352.8 kHz), which moved the undertones of highest energy far outside the audio range.
    Care to explain, "This is a very important result. It means that an ideal audio cable would have a power factor of 0?"

There is the Zero Power Factor (Potier) Method for calculating alternator performance characteristics:

http://www.learnelectrical.net/2015/06/zero-power-factor-zpf-method-potier-triangle-method-to-determine-voltage-regulation-alternator.html

Then there is the zero power factor concept with regard to cables and transmission lines:

"The power factor is by definition a dimensionless number between −1 and 1. When power factor is equal to 0, the energy flow is entirely reactive and stored energy in the load returns to the source on each cycle. When the power factor is 1, all the energy supplied by the source is consumed by the load. Power factors are usually stated as "leading" or "lagging" to show the sign of the phase angle. Capacitive loads are leading (current leads voltage), and inductive loads are lagging (current lags voltage).

If a purely resistive load is connected to a power supply, current and voltage will change polarity in step, the power factor will be unity (1), and the electrical energy flows in a single direction across the network in each cycle. Inductive loads such as transformers and motors (any type of wound coil) consume reactive power with current waveform lagging the voltage. Capacitive loads such as capacitor banks or buried cable generate reactive power with current phase leading the voltage. Both types of loads will absorb energy during part of the AC cycle, which is stored in the device's magnetic or electric field, only to return this energy back to the source during the rest of the cycle.

A negative power factor (0 to -1) can result from returning power to the source, such as in the case of a building fitted with solar panels when their power is not being fully utilised within the building and the surplus is fed back into the supply."

Reference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_factor

The theory expressed on MIT's website with regard to cable zero power factor is in agreement with the theory I cited above, and is in agreement with cable noise theory regarding the abatement of spurious noise due to cable dielectric absorption.
    Theory is a necessity for understanding and serves as the basis for design and testing.

Agreed. Come back and discuss once you have attained a better understanding of zero power factor theory, a concept which you obviously were unaware of. Since you have a BS degree in electrical engineering, I assume gaining an understanding of the concept will be trivial for you.
    One has to have an idea about what one is doing, no?

Agreed again. I would also add "one should practice what they preach" to that.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I tried listening to my amp with an oscilloscope instead of speakers. I couldn't hear a difference in any cables...come to think about it, that is clearly the argument that X uses..."I couldn't hear a difference using measuring instruments, so obviously, there is no difference."

The part he leaves out is that he was trying to listen to the scope and not the speakers.
    Mystery solved as to why x is so unbelievably obtuse!

Use your ears, X...the music will sound MUCH better.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Can't we all just get along and buy wireless speakers?
    I'm beginning to hate MIT and Emotiva. :#
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The ideal power factor for real power transfer (i.e. power to do work like making a speaker produce sound) is 1 (one) not 0 (zero).

You are assuming a speaker is purely a resistive load, it's not. I'm surprised as an electrical engineer that you don't know that.

X only presents partial theory that appears to agree with his agenda...just like the Roger Russell and Audioholics websites.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Let's put some perspective on the matter. The provided link lists the world's most expensive gear. There are different categories, this one is for speakers.

http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.php

So, is a pair of million dollar speakers that much better than a thousand dollar pair to justify the price? I don't know, but I'd sure like to hear them.

You see X, that's the difference between my open mind and your closed one.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• [Deleted User]
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Nothing like a good cables don't matter or
    CD vs. vinyl vs. media player debate.

The real suckers are those that buy those expensive power cables.
    It's their money but whewww. When I was a kid I wouldn't listen
    to TV commercials for fear of being brainwashed. I won't try
    anything other than stock cables from the manufacturer for the
    same reason.
  • F1nut
    Options
    Nothing personal, but that's a foolish way to think.

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Nothing like a good cables don't matter or
    CD vs. vinyl vs. media player debate.

The real suckers are those that buy those expensive power cables.
    It's their money but whewww. When I was a kid I wouldn't listen
    to TV commercials for fear of being brainwashed. I won't try
    anything other than stock cables from the manufacturer for the
    same reason.

Please don't tell us you wore tinfoil hats too ;)

Sorry man, just bustin' them a little, but subliminal advertising is multi-media, sight and sound, so turning the volume down only halved your exposure. Google the word
    tachistoscope...

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    "Sorry man, just bustin' them a little, but subliminal advertising is multi-media, sight and sound, so turning the volume down only halved your exposure. Google the word
    tachistoscope..."

I did frequent the drive-in theater...
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    http://www.higherfi.com/spkrlist/speakerlist.php

Imagine having your wife help you pick out a pair of these speakers
    (even the color) and then going over to your friends house and
    HIS wife helped him pick out the exact same ones, even the color.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I did frequent the drive-in theater...

I'm sure you did.
    Because they wanted you to.
    I heard that theaters were the original testing ground for those types of ads,
    but who knows? I think it's nonsense myself.

Gotta run, for some reason I feel like having a Pepsi???

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    I have nothing to add to this thread, but I was just thinking -- I, also, have adjustable articulation. Beer works quite well -- three or four, and I would start slurrin' pretty good.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Yeah! Who doesn't like fried flounder??!!
    Deeeeeelish!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,066
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »
    Haven't had to use this one in a while. Not going to visit this cesspool of a thread often enough to make sure it gets posted right after its "inspiration", so you all can guess...

DamnStraight.png

Ok let me see a picture of what appears to be dew on the grass, some one shhh' ing and a bag. I have been up all night trying to think this out can't seem to figure wait a minute it just came to me. Ha ha ha, I bet this is directed towards a certain non believing individual this is to funny.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I thought it meant

Dew+finger+brown paper bags.......

When-You-Cant-Remember-Word.gif
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    You know, if you hadn't posted the above, I wouldn't have invested the incremental effort to decode the three images (which are sort of like a rebus, but without any letters, just pictures, come to think of it).

Three images -> three syllables to evoke two syllable word (sometimes writ as two words).

https://youtu.be/K_b3oPslctA
  • tonyb
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    [.... but the sum is worth more than the parts individually imho. There's my contribution to this argument.

....and a solid opinion that is. :)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    I didn't get it till now, funny.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Can't we all just get along and buy wireless speakers?

Pfffttt....then people would be arguing over the purity of the air in the room. And how it relates to the best sound. We'd be seeing $100k air purifiers from MIT.

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    this forum needs an official KennethSwauger appreciation day. some of the stuff you guys come up with to juuust barely skirt the rules has me dyin' laughing. and I'm sure Ken coming close to cursing.
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I'm offended. Don't ask why, I just am.

President of Club Polk