New MIT cables, adjustable articulation!

Options

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Too many of you have your panties all bunched up. $80K is pocket change to millions of people. Even if only 1% of a million buy these, that is $800 million in sales. I doubt if parts and labor exceed 25% of list price, so that is good profit for MIT. But who pays list for MIT cables?

You all are forgetting MIT drastically over prices list so that their dealers can give big, big discounts. Now everyone is happy, the customer thinks they got a great deal, the dealer makes a profit, and so does MIT.

The important point has already been made. Who cares how people spend their money.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I've said this before, If you think mark up on cables is bad... Just look at the automotive industry (which I've worked in for about 12 years, including high end). I've seen 10 dollar parts sell for 120. Maybe we should start ragging on people for spending obscene amounts fixing their p.o.s. cars too?
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited May 2016
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I've said this before, If you think mark up on cables is bad... Just look at the automotive industry (which I've worked in for about 12 years, including high end). I've seen 10 dollar parts sell for 120. Maybe we should start ragging on people for spending obscene amounts fixing their p.o.s. cars too?

Or installing $12K car stereo in a $10k car, or spending $10k,20,$30K a year hitting a stupd white ball across the grass
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Too many of you have your panties all bunched up. $80K is pocket change to millions of people. Even if only 1% of a million buy these, that is $800 million in sales. I doubt if parts and labor exceed 25% of list price, so that is good profit for MIT. But who pays list for MIT cables?

You all are forgetting MIT drastically over prices list so that their dealers can give big, big discounts. Now everyone is happy, the customer thinks they got a great deal, the dealer makes a profit, and so does MIT.

The important point has already been made. Who cares how people spend their money.

True enough. But I tell ya what, if MIT hits $800 million in sales this year across all their cables, I'll buy you a set of these. I bet dollars to donuts they've not done $800 million in sales since their inception in 2000. So we're talking a product that appeals to the creme de la creme financially, which is what a statement product should do.

I also bet that parts and labor don't exceed 10% of the list price, and I bet I'm being naive in estimating that high. No one is doubting that MIT will make a killing off of these if they sell a moderate amount. But let's be real bout the size of the market,it's tiny.

What people did doubt, as far as I can tell, is that customers would "think they got a great deal." That's why some have expressed a lack of faith.

What is odd to me so far is that everyone defends this sort of audiophile equipment, be in super high end speakers, amps, or cables by saying that you have to judge by your ears. I get that.

But then you have many in this thread wholeheartedly defending cables pushing the already expansive pricing boundaries of the market without having ever heard them, much less a new cable/old cable comparison, which seems like a reasonable way to test things subjectively. I know MIT has a stellar reputation here, but even great companies put out bad/bad-value products, especially when having to justify a new price point. I am not sure why MIT gets the benefit of the doubt.

I should stipulate that I haven't heard the cables either, so I am in no way trying to judge them here. MIT's strategy does make sense. But when people slip the word "value" in there, I twinge a bit. To know that at this point you'd either have to have heard the cables, not care about the traditional definition of value (possible), or just assume that these cables are almost twice as nice as anything else out there, with only marketing hype to stand on.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    edited May 2016
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    ^^^ You should have circled the drain here a long time ago....
    ^^^ Can't converse on a topic so you resort to a personal attack?

You call this a personal attack? LOL!!!! No wonder you cannot understand cables. If I would have called you a name, made a threat of some sort or otherwise made a statement that called your credibility into question, you would have a case for being attacked.

I merely called into question the fact that you should have had to dream up a new screen name a while ago.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Paradoxex wrote: »

True enough. But I tell ya what, if MIT hits $800 million in sales this year across all their cables, I'll buy you a set of these. I bet dollars to donuts they've not done $800 million in sales since their inception in 2000. So we're talking a product that appeals to the creme de la creme financially, which is what a statement product should do.

I agree. I was just using random figures to make a point, but I will be happy if they do hit $800 million this year. I will resell my new cables and buy something else. :)

On a serious note, I truly doubt they will be much better than my current cables. I am sure they will sound different, but not by much.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mikeyb128
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I hate the cable debate. But I have some wireworld, nordost, and MIT in the house where I could tell you which one is which on my system blindfolded with ease.

I used to have a roommate that was a cable naysayer. I started a modest 2 channel system in our living room (he was broke). One day he says to me, man the Stereo is sounding really great! What did you do? I told him I bought new speaker cables. He laughed at me until I pulled him over to the system and showed him. I think that he is the poster child for the blindfold experiments.

It's like saying all tubes sound the same. They built them to the same specs right? it makes me ragey lol.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• txcoastal1
    Options
    ^^^^Lol
    One of DSkips buddies(non audio dude) who was at LSAF a few years ago had his cherry popped with cables. There was a group of us listening, he was really paying no attention (we were drinkin' ;) ) while we did a cable swap. We fired the system back up after the swap...1st person to speak up was his buddy "WTH the sounds awesome what did you do"

Answer:
    "Swapped cables"
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• BlueFox
    Options
    I think this is more of a price/performance debate than a cable debate. In the 21st century, only a fool would argue cables do not make a difference.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    Changing cables:
    If you have never experienced "it", I don't expect you to get "it". When it does happen you will know "it".

And "it" may not happen every time and sometimes it's not for the better, and is not always the "more expensive"

• mikeyb128
    Options
    I think this is more of a price/performance debate than a cable debate. In the 21st century, only a fool would argue cables do not make a difference.

I agree with you, but it has turned cable debate/
    Politics somehow? These types of threads always fly off topic, Maybe it's my reading comprehension this time. Also it's Friday :) I've had a few, and some Mark knopfler playing quite loud. Oops I'm off topic again. Please carry on.
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• BlueFox
    Options
    LOL. I only jumped into this after a few Friday night beers.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    But then you have many in this thread wholeheartedly defending cables pushing the already expansive pricing boundaries of the market without having ever heard them

I'll "defend" $250k speakers too just because.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

Oh like this '02 GTI 1.8T that I'm about to throw a pound of sand into the crankcase of? :)

You will need sodium silicate to put that dog down.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mikeyb128
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »

Oh like this '02 GTI 1.8T that I'm about to throw a pound of sand into the crankcase of? :)

Whoa! Is that's cuz it's hard to fix? Waaaaa!
    2 channel:
    Theater:

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,052
    Options
    Who really cares if those $80G cables make a difference or not? I won't offer any speculation on their possible sound as I know for a fact that I'll never bring home a pair on my meager income. I'm also betting 99% of the general population falls into this category as well so I am not alone.

But the entertainment value of the past 7 pages of grown men getting riled up and fighting amoungst themselves about them is completely off the charts. Carry on please as there isn't anything on tv worth watching right now :)
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

LMAO.....truth is sometimes hard to swallow. Appliance parts, same thing. Cost under 2 bucks, but 150 to buy it from a repair shop and have them install it. Sure you can say a big chunk of that is labor and your paying for their know how, but 148 bucks worth ?

X,

Politics and audio cables ? Whatever your drinking, switch. lol

We have cars that cost upwards of 500k, still do the same thing a Ford Focus will do in regards to getting you from point A to Point B. I don't question the worth of 80k cables, just company wise decisions in creating them. Obviously MIT thinks there is a market for them, and they can sell a limited amount. Still a lot of very rich dudes on the planet where 80k is pocket change to them.

Sometimes it's hard to fathom a world/lifestyle that we will never live in. Just in our own little world of audio, you see naysayers who will never experience Pass mono blocks or 3k dacs, 1k cables, etc. Their own wallet clouds their judgment....and opinions.

If your truly interested in better audio, it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg. Even the stuff you never will be able to afford is worth a listen when you can get it. I can never afford a Ferrari, but I'll be damned if I ever pass on an opportunity to drive one.

When it comes to audio, get your ears on as much as you can, even if you know you'll never be able to afford it. You simply adjust that down to meet your own wallet is all, but your ears have a better baseline on the sound your looking for. Part of the fun of audio is listening to the variety of gear and cables out there. Not to mention you may make a few friends along the way.

Kinda like a Football game....the old armchair quarterback analogy. It's easy to sit in the stands, question everything on the field, opine about what is needed, or not needed, who's a POS, who's not, what coach is worthless, etc. However a different perspective may emerge if you were actually on the playing field playing the game. In audio, you can't sit in the stands for long without getting involved. You have to play a bit, so those armchair QB opinions mean something.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    I've said when I first started reading this that if never buy cables this expensive. Then as I thought about it, I've said on this forum that if I won the powerball, my first stop is Progressive Audio in Ann Arbor to pick up my pair of Sonus Faber Aidas. Cost? $125K. So a pair of $80K speaker cables aren't completely out of the question! Wow that dream system has all of sudden gotten much more expensive. LOL
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    Options
    I thought when one becomes mega rich the term expensive only applied to Lear jets, luxury yachts, mansions, private Caribbean islands, and Divorce!!
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    And that last one being the most expensive of all.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I also know that Ray, while providing scope grabs, always uses his ears as the final judge in a modification or upgrade.

Measurements can only tell you about electrical performance. Measurements cannot tell you about STEREOPHONIC performance. Only the ear can do that.

Electrical measurements, particularly those that deal with electrical noise and signal integrity, can provide some insight into how a particular cable or component ***might*** affect such stereophonic performance parameters as image weight, image stability, and sound stage dimensions, but there is no specification or measurement technique that will tell you something along the lines of "this cable will improve image stability by __%.

There is a linear correlation among high quality parts, thoughtful low noise design, and increasing stereophonic performance. However, stereophonic performance is an illusion created in the mind of the listener. Even if it could be quantified that a particular cable can increase sound stage width by 2 feet at each side, there is no guarantee that every listener will hear the same, if any, sound stage expansion on their system, in their room, with their ears. This is why the inventors of home stereo systems emphasized ear training in sound localization, rather than training in laboratory measurements.
    The always attacked Emo at least doesn't produce such nonsense, so there is no need to justify them.

In fact, they have produced detailed specs, tests and photos of their many products so it shows significant ignorance of the facts to even suggest asking for proof from them.

OK. Here is a quote from Emotiva's website:

"At the same time, Emotiva’s audiophile credentials mean we show up in the best audio systems as well—frequently replacing “megadollar” audio brands in the process. Emotiva delivers the emotion of live music, with all of the amazing range, detail, and delicacy you’re looking for."

1. What megadollar audio brands have been replaced by Emotiva components?
    2. What performance metrics did the consumers use to decide that Emotiva components
    outperformed their megadollar brands?
    3. How was it determined that Emotiva delivers the emotion of live music? How was that measured? What competing audiophile brands was Emotiva gear quantitatively compared to with regard to delivering emotion?

Compare, and contrast, the comment on Emotiva's website with this comment on the Pass Labs website:

"Seven years in the making, the Point 8 Series [of power amplifiers] demonstrates our belief that the best products must be carefully adjusted until their components operate in harmony — then subjectively fine-tuned. Not satisfied with measurements alone, we put the amplifiers’ state-of-the-art engineering through an extensive, rigorous listening process using six different sound systems to deliver peak musical experiences."

There is also a wealth of technical design information on Pass Labs website and they are always willing to answer technical questions on the phone and via email.
    With all due respect, I think if Tonyb and DK considers this objectively, they will agree with my general sentiment here.

I have plainly stated that I would like more information on the theory, and parts and construction quality of these $80,000 cables.

With that said, I am not mad at MIT for offering such expensive cables. They have the right to make and market whatever lawful item they wish. I find an $80,000 pair of speaker cables, which actually perform some useful purpose, far, far, less onerous than an $80,000 diamond ring, which is basically just a polished rock that has no intrinsic value, and no intrinsic usefulness. It is just a marketing invention.

I think the cable naysayers should ask themselves why they are having heart attacks and brain aneurisms about expensive audio cables when they have no problem with $100,000 polished rocks that spend most of the time in a jewelry box and a miniscule amount of time decorating some part of a human body.
    Post edited by DarqueKnight on
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • txcoastal1
    Options
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I also know that Ray, while providing scope grabs, always uses his ears as the final judge in a modification or upgrade.

Measurements can only tell you about electrical performance. Measurements cannot tell you about STEREOPHONIC performance. Only the ear can do that.

Electrical measurements, particularly those that deal with electrical noise and signal integrity, can provide some insight into how a particular cable or component ***might*** affect such stereophonic performance parameters as image weight, image stability, and sound stage dimensions, but there is no specification or measurement technique that will tell you something along the lines of "this cable will improve image stability by __%.

There is a linear correlation among high quality parts, thoughtful low noise design, and increasing stereophonic performance. However, stereophonic performance is an illusion created in the mind of the listener. Even if it could be quantified that a particular cable can increase sound stage width by 2 feet at each side, there is no guarantee that every listener will hear the same, if any, sound stage expansion on their system, in their room, with their ears. This is why the inventors of home stereo systems emphasized ear training in sound localization, rather than training in laboratory measurements.
    I found an interesting paper of the subject of spatial audio entitled, Multidimensional audio window management.

Wouldn't you agree that spatial audio effects to the listener including stereophonic presentation are really better achieved at the source end through recording techniques, or at the listener end through signal processing, (DSP for example), speaker design and arrangement, room design and treatments, and of course listener position and their training?
    Here's a reason. I'm about 99% sure that room treatments, or DSP would have solved the sibilance. I'm glad I played the fool and swapped out the cables.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2235581#Comment_2235581
    A little cable story at LSAF....Dynaudio/Threshold room
    I was gathering and moving out the empty crates. I had thrown in some cables awaiting Doug's arrival to get some music rolling. Doug arrived and asked me to play
    Bernadette Peters Blackbird rendition. He immediately noticed excess sibilance especially (see in bold)

"Blackbird singing in the dead of night
    Take these broken wings and learn to fly
    All your life
    You were only waiting for this moment to arise."
    Anything with a "S" sounded like "SSSSS" very annoying

I put a couple more tracks on Rebecca Pidgeon, and Susi Suh, same result. My biggest fear was the tubes in the Modwright pre. which would have sucked to start rolling while getting ready for show :#:#:# ....He calmed me down "lets try cables first"

We swapped source IC's with his TOTL cables and bam sibilance gone everything very tight and detailed without smearing

• befuddle
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I know its ignorant for me to ask since its likely beneath your level of technical expertise but have either of you checked out the 3 cable seminars from the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest? There may be parts that provide for a more compelling debate among those of a technical background.
    And not it insult Darqueknight as i agree with your intent But using a 100000 diamond ring for an analogy in comparison to a 80g cable is flawed in the fact that the ring will hold a large percent of its value and may be worth more as time goes by, Same can be said of other collectables such as cars, art etc.Gold has no real value from a practical worth except for its use in circuit boards in space exploration and its ability to maintain its polished shine in artwork and yet it provides the basis for world economy
    Post edited by befuddle on
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    b1cpxnl7qnny.gif

Thanks for the courtesy flush...

• txcoastal1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    befuddle wrote: »
    Gold has no real value from a practical worth except for its use in circuit boards in space exploration and its ability to maintain its polished shine in artwork and yet it provides the basis for world economy

I heard gold makes for a fine toilet
    I read that on the internet

• befuddle
    Options
    I stand corrected,I take it you've seen that episode of lifestyles of the rich and famous showing the Donald's bathroom
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Here's a reason. I'm about 99% sure that room treatments, or DSP would have solved the sibilance. I'm glad I played the fool and swapped out the cables.

I was gathering and moving out the empty crates. I had thrown in some cables awaiting Doug's arrival to get some music rolling. Doug arrived and asked me to play
    Bernadette Peters Blackbird rendition. He immediately noticed excess sibilance especially (see in bold)

All your life

I put a couple more tracks on Rebecca Pidgeon, and Susi Suh, same result. My biggest fear was the tubes in the Modwright pre. which would have sucked to start rolling while getting ready for show :#:#:# ....He calmed me down "lets try cables first"

We swapped source IC's with his TOTL cables and bam sibilance gone everything very tight and detailed without smearing

Nah, unless you can measure it Xcrapi will just say you imagined it. See he won't actually test cables with his own ears. I bet even if he *did* hear a difference he would never admit it. Then he would no longer have anything to live for.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The always attacked Emo at least doesn't produce such nonsense, so there is no need to justify them.

And yet you do justify them, time and time again.
    In fact, they have produced detailed specs, tests and photos of their many products so it shows significant ignorance of the facts to even suggest asking for proof from them.

So, where are the scope measurements? Where are the properly conducted repeatable listening tests? I mean, YOU are the one always asking for proof, so produce it.

Still waiting.......
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• txcoastal1
    edited May 2016
    Options
    heiney9 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

All your life

Nah, unless you can measure it Xcrapi will just say you imagined it. See he won't actually test cables with his own ears. I bet even if he *did* hear a difference he would never admit it. Then he would no longer have anything to live for.

H9

You would have had to have been really hard of hearing not notice it, it stuck out like a sore thumb. I even took a meter the the cable and tested it for shorts and open to make sure it wasn't defective.