New MIT cables, adjustable articulation!

Options

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    Valid points.

Still in fantasy territory for all of us.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited May 2016
    Options
    The notion of a recording being as unaltered as possible and having as true-to-life accuracy as possible are fallacies. The sound is altered as soon as it hits the mixing board and continues to be as it moves on down the line, so to speak. Every piece of audio gear alters the sound in some way. Anyone who thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

I stopped kidding myself long ago, what matters to me is the musicality. Does it sound good, does it pull me in, does it make my feet tap, does it make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up?

If anything, the technology employed by MIT attempts to deliver the sound with more musicality than regular cable. It is not the same as the tone controls found on some hifi gear.

And for the record, I do not work for MIT. I use and believe in their products because to my ears they do it better than any other.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's a statement item. Kind of like VW building the Bugatti Veyron, which has now been upstaged by the Chiron.

I hear ya man, but given VW's current financial mess, maybe all that money invested in statement pieces/cars would have been put to better use paying attention to the lower brands. Which the lack of, has now put that company in jeopardy. See what I'm sayin' ?

Polk tried their own statement piece too, in the SRT's, how did that work out for them ? Point is....investing x amount of capital in a small niche market, in todays economy, seems to me a bit....unwise. That's all I'm saying.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    I don't see MIT selling many if any of these cables. I don't see many wanting to sit with each cable and adjust the tone controls. I don't see any reason for a product in today's market.
    I have extremely high end clients and I don't think I could sell these to anyone.
    Years ago when I worked for Soundex , we carried Transparent cables. They had a Speaker cable that was 36k for a 6 foot pair. They looked like a vacuum cleaner with carpet spikes on them. We only sold like 2 pairs that I know of and they where an amazingly difficult sale from what I remember. These cables went into a 400k 2 channel rig. This was back when the economy was stable.

The Price is the Price , if MIT feels thats what they cost then so be it. I can't judge them for that. I do question the technology and why would you want it at this point in the signal chain?
    MIT is known for there magic black wire boxes and what they achieve inside them. Interference and maintaining signal quality is their goal. Now the goal IMO seems to have changed now that you can adjust the tone. Honestly I'm at a bit of a loss here. I can't really make any sense out of it.
    I gotta go read about these again as I don't think it sank in.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    Regardless, I am sure there is solid justification for the price tag, but its incomprehensible to us common folk.

If there is solid justification, it would not be incomprehensible to us common folk. I'm not an aeronautical engineer, but I can understand a basic explanation of why a jet fighter costs $50 million. I can even understand why a mil-spec toilet seat costs $800.

There is a class of goods termed "carriage trade" which refers to merchandise marketed exclusively to wealthy individuals who want something "different" from us common folk. Such goods have exorbitant prices to create "exclusivity", but usually offer no performance or quality benefit over much less expensive items. They are packaged and finished expensively though.
    I don't really care what things cost. I don't shop with my wallet when I'm selling something to someone else. I listen to their needs and try to decide on which products are right for their needs. Money comes into play with the person holding the check book so if someone is willing to spend $80k on a set of speaker wires so be it. I could care less.
    What I do hear you on is I also don't see a reason why they cost this much. I don't believe in what they are trying to do and I don't see any need for a product like this.

I'm a Musician and have been all my life. I know what it takes to make music and retain my sound quality. I know what it takes to Mic a band and be a sound man at a venue. I know what it takes to record music and try to preserve the tonal quality of the band and what they wrote.
    To me honestly high end just gets out of control. I'm all for making money and if I had clients that would be willing to spend their money on these, I'd sell them to them IF I felt I wasn't robbing them.
    I will admit , I have not sat down with MIT engineer's and learned about these cable network boxes. I did not hear how they can improve on what MIT has done in the past with their highest end cables before these things but come one, does anyone really see value here? Not in money but in product development?
    I will also admit I'm a huge fan of Audioquest. I found that they do the best overall job in cable technology. I have heard their cables do every single system I've installed for years them justice. I will say this, when you reach a certain level of quality in their cables , your not gaining anything back in return other then cooler looking cables.
    Again I don't care what they cost, I stop where I feel is right for me and my budget. My entire system is wired in Audioquest at the level I feel is right and not wasting money on no gains. I don't care about bragging rights I own these awesome cables crap. So at $80k for a set, cool but I just don't see these doing what speaker cables on paper should do.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Speaker cables....on paper, don't do much, it's what they do for your ears that count. I think you hit on many good points Dan. I personally don't care what they cost either but hearing them dictates if the cost is valid or not. Just like a car that costs 500k, we common folks can't see the value in it, nor have we even driven one, but those who can afford it and have driven them do see the value....and obviously afford them.

Hard to judge when you haven't heard something in a real world environment, and I'm certainly not judging what they may bring to the table at that price point. Just questioning the business decision is all, not the validity of the product.

That said, I too question the cost of the boxes. At roughly 60-70k more than their current top cables, one has to wonder exactly what they put in there to warrant that price. The rest of the wire and connectors look like the usual MIT fare.

I also think when cable makers do this, they churn up the snake oil believers and don't do justice to what quality cables bring to the table. Not so much the marketing junk they say, more so what they don't say. Like what justifies the cost of a condo in a speaker cable. Maybe if I heard them I'd have a better grasp, but lets be honest....if someone tried selling you a Lexus for 3 million bucks and it looked the same as a standard Lexus except for maybe a snazzy engine and some new shinny body parts, would you buy into the additional costs value ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Maybe we can chalk it up to the laws of diminishing returns. We all know once you get to a certain point, every incremental increase in sound quality costs bigger and bigger bucks. Doesn't mean the SQ improvements aren't there, just that they'll cost more.

Some will pay a Kings ransom for that, they want the best of the best regardless of cost. I see nothing wrong with it if you can afford it. You only live once, right ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    Options
    Visit the Campus @ The Ohio State University, and I bet Texas A&M is the same as both rank in the largest University's in the US. Chinese students live in Luxury condos and drive Ferrari's, Lambo's and the like. The Asians have plenty of coin and love to spend and flaunt it.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Can't believe all the silly conversations (from veterans who actually know everything matters).

Every niche market for every product has this type of "over the top" product. I love how people say "$$$ doesn't matter they can't see how this would make a difference", and each one that has mentioned price doesn't matter, can't afford these anyway.

Do we really need a $1.2 million Bugatti Chiron? Nope, but it's there, and a few people buy it.

I really can't believe we are discussing the merits of MIT products and pricing. Those that own and have used MIT's know they make a difference.

My bet is they made these because they can. If you have $80K burning a hole in your pocket, I bet these would be awesome.

H9

P.s. I guess what I'm trying to say is if we question this based on $$$, then we should be questioning a lot of things. And those of us who know about achieving and chasing our own perfect sound, should not really be so suspicious because we know this type of thing makes a difference.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I think while we are tolerant of high end prices, there's a limit.

$80,000 for speaker wire really pushes it.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    edited May 2016
    Options
    If I won a large Power Ball jackpot I would definitely buy these. I'd be willing to put them on a demo program with a select few members here.

Even if I had a doctor or lawyers salary, though... Probably not.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    The bigger question would be, how expensive of speaker do you connect $80,000 cables to?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Some Wilsons or Focal Utopias or maybe some older classics like Apogee Scintillas or Duntech or Dunlavy.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    Of course you would also have some ridiculously expensive electronics driving them,like Krell, Mark Levinson, Boulder and such.
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    Options
    $80k cables - hooked up to some MBL 101 X-tremes and Dan D'Augostino amps...oh yeah.

I admit it, I spend some time at the WhatsBest forum last night after reading this thread. Ultra high-end sure is pretty.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Apparently they had been showing this line at the High End Show in Munich during May 5-8. The ad says they were auditioning them using Magico Q7/Spectrial SV/ Magico S5/ Martin Logan Neolith/Pass/Spectrial/and Moon Audio
    [I'm sure upcoming professional reviews should prove interesting at that price level]
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I think while we are tolerant of high end prices, there's a limit.

$80,000 for speaker wire really pushes it.

If your income was 50-fold, you may not see it that way.

Agreed.

But by "we" I mean us in Polk forum.

Doubt anyone of whatsbest would buy something this expensive except maybe a couple of guys.

And there aren't many who make 50-fold who are also into audio.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If I won a large Power Ball jackpot I would definitely buy these. I'd be willing to put them on a demo program with a select few members here.

Even if I had a doctor or lawyers salary, though... Probably not.

No. 80k for wire. No way on my salary.
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Their new marketing slogan should be "You Don't Know What You Got Till You Got Em" or just commit to take exclusive aim at the truly obsessed audiophile and go with:
    "Come on... you know you want them"
    Post edited by befuddle on
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    Options
    Don't quit your day job.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    We do have quite a bit of rich dudes walking around the globe gents. I mean super rich, where 80k would be like buying monoprice cables to you or I.

I can see where some of these dudes would buy them, and so what anyway, spend it if you got it. Makes the world go round.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    We do have quite a bit of rich dudes walking around the globe gents. I mean super rich, where 80k would be like buying monoprice cables to you or I.

I can see where some of these dudes would buy them, and so what anyway, spend it if you got it. Makes the world go round.

Yeah buddy... Trickle down tech ftw

• tonyb
    Options
    I'm deciding on whether I should buy a Lexus LS460 executive edition, or speaker cables.....tough call. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I'm deciding on whether I should buy a Lexus LS460 executive edition, or speaker cables.....tough call. lol

Get the GS and get a pair of super speakers + equipment with some $5K cables... call it a day.

Hahaha
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2016
    Options

Polk tried their own statement piece too, in the SRT's, how did that work out for them ? Point is....investing x amount of capital in a small niche market, in todays economy, seems to me a bit....unwise. That's all I'm saying.

Polk wasn't a "luxury" or high end brand, so it wasn't a surprise that the market didn't embrace a "statement" product from them.

Toyota established Lexus and Nissan established Infiniti because no one was going to pay $70K+ for a Toyota or Nissan, even if its quality equaled or exceeded established luxury brands like Audi, MB, and BMW.

If your income was 50-fold, you may not see it that way.

I wouldn't. I still have to see some value for the money I shell out. I can afford $50 gourmet hamburgers, but I ain't spending $50 bucks for a burger.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Excuse the ignorance:
    Are these articulation controls or tone controls?
    Are there filters in there for Bass, Treble and a ... mid-octave?
    Or are you just playing with inductance matching?
    I would think you would be ahead for a time just sending
    all your equipment to MIT and have them use their equipment
    to match everything up.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options

Neither Be more like this guy https://youtube.com/watch?v=OCjWPExJTj0
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Mmm I respect MIT cables, and maybe i'm showing my age, but I like to keep it simple and just let speaker cables be speaker cables. Pass on the signal without editorializing it. So many exotic speaker cables these days have to have a "magico box" connected to them. My Jorma Statement cables do have walnut barrels that's true, but they are non-functional & just there for looks.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    This here again is so freaking interesting to me because those who can afford it will. It will always be like that. Sure you'll have dudes w/ loads of cash and be either cheap as all hell or frugal. To those who can afford it and know when it works they do it. For me it's entirely a different story. I can't get close to any of this stuff but there was one day where it almost happened. I saw that M.IT. was having a clearance of 10 footers, I forgot the name but hey they must have that build quality. I p/md Jesse and asked what he thought, 1st of the cables and then of my situation. I could afford these now but since I was still running through a spkr.selector there would be no way of using any of the ends supplied which were convertible. I also told him my left 2B was inches away from my Adcom and so what does one do w/ all that extra length. His answer ,Lew they are not for you if you insist on using the splitter and if you ever get higher quality cables that can't be cut just lay them down along the rear and never coil them. Point being now I sh%t canned the splitter for the time being and could have have those M..I.T.s. Obviously not the ones being shown now.
    $80k cables go those Albert Von Schweikerts I saw.

http://www.vonschweikert.com/#!vr-9se-mkii/xb2a1
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Almost 20 years of active forum. Seems stable to me. Though I'm sure we gave a few past Mods a nervous breakdown.