New MIT cables, adjustable articulation!

Options
madmax
madmax Posts: 12,434
Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,175
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,175
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,373
    edited May 2016
    Options
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,466
    Options
    Loosely kicking around the idea of an 11.2 with these. Maybe a couple of 2.0 in Zones 1 and 2, also?
    I disabled signatures.
  • madmax
    Options
    I'll stick with the under $1K version that I still think sounds amazing. :)

Only reason I'm looking at MITs is that I'm upgrading my old Shotgun S3s with the S1s. Now that they have the newer S3.1s these older cables are going a little cheaper. Even still, the ones I've received so far still look absolutely new.

I can see moving up the chain from zip cord to $500 cables or from $300 cables to $1K cables. Maybe even up to $3K cables. Moving up to $80K cables seems a little excessive to me.

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    If I win the Powerball I'll buy a set. Shotguns all around for the regulars too!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Options
    The shotgun S1's do wonders for the bass. I have a pair on the bottom end of my 3.1TL's.
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Loosely kicking around the idea of an 11.2 with these. Maybe a couple of 2.0 in Zones 1 and 2, also?

I like my tunes but for that coin I'd pick up a new Lamborghini ...
  • footwedge
    footwedge Posts: 475
    Options
  • ken brydson
    Options
    I was joking...
  • ken brydson
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    I was joking...

I know, but I've seen some of the garages these guys keep. They are worth more than I'll make in my lifetime.

You don't want to see my garage...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,104
    Options
    I was joking...

I know, but I've seen some of the garages these guys keep. They are worth more than I'll make in my lifetime.

I would love to turn Jay Leno's garage in to my mancave.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,073
    Options
    ...or Seinfeld's.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,521
    Options
    I have to say this...

W.
    T.
    F.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I have to say this...

W.
    T.
    F.

yeah... we're all at different levels of W. T. F. around here..... :)
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited May 2016
    Options
    11tsteve wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I have to say this...

W.
    T.
    F.

yeah... we're all at different levels of W. T. F. around here..... :)

Heck man, my whole life has been a constant variation of WTF's. lol

Color me confused, but I see nothing really to warrant such a price increase from MIT for those cables.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • madmax
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Color me confused, but I see nothing really to warrant such a price increase from MIT for those cables.

Seeing won't sell cables like that, they have to deliver something. Admittedly some of that something is the branding and perceived science behind them, but they still have to deliver.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,808
    Options
    Tony, those are a brand new series.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    Options
    Come on Tony, you are really judging something by a snippet and photo's.

You know better than that. Maybe they aren't worth the $$$ being asked (who pays retail for cables anyway) but they certainly are something different than we've seen before.

Don't write them off with just a glance, we pummel people that do that around here. Keep that open mind you always seem to have.

I will say it doesn't matter how much improvement they make in MY rig, I couldn't justify the cost for ME personally.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I will keep my eye out for them at 75% off on MIT clearance :sunglasses:

2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tonyb
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Tony, those are a brand new series.

Yeah man I know, still....

I'm not writing them off, MIT has many series to suit anyone's wallet. I'm just confused in the sense that they think a higher priced ticket item would sell well in today's economy. Call me crazy, but you'd think a little trickle down tech into some lower lines would sell more cables.

BTW X,

You can comment all you want, on things you've never heard or experienced yourself. It won't mean jack to anyone, but you'll feel good about yourself for it. If self gratification is your goal, rock on.....we could all use a good chuckle every now and then. ;):)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Tony, that product is not intended for our market. That product is for the ultra high end found in Asia.

Got that Skipper, which is why I don't see where the money is invested with this series from them. Not that much anyway. You can't tell me the box alone is worthy of such an increase in price. Asia has their problems too economically, they aren't as rich anymore as some might think. As a company, I would think MIT would want to appeal to a broader base rather than a niche market. That's kinda like you Skip, as a dealer, carrying products you know only a handful of people can afford. Wouldn't you invest your dollars in things that make the best sales ? Otherwise you may find yourself in trouble financially. Mit has many series to fall back on, I get that, but to excite the broader base, some trickle down tech would be more in tune to generating new sales than a niche super high end product.....I would think anyway.

I like Mit cables, but a tad overpriced in my view compared to other brands of similar quality. This series just seems to emphasize that for me. Now if they made the wire from a meteor 4 billion years old or something like that.....lol.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    It's a statement item. Kind of like VW building the Bugatti Veyron, which has now been upstaged by the Chiron.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ^this^

All manufacturer's have statement pieces.............why?................just because........
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I find it odd that MIT goes to some length to describe the aluminum enclosure, but says nothing about what's inside the box. For $80K, I would expect some detailed discussion on parts quality, particularly rotary control switches which are known to be sources of noise if they are not of very high quality.

This is not a product I would be interested in because I do not like tone controls.

With regard to retail price, I have to be able to make some sense of what is being asked. A rule of thumb for high end audio is that retail price is typically 5X the cost of parts. This markup accounts for development, manufacturing, marketing, and distribution costs.

In the case of my Pass Labs X600.5 monoblock amps, the retail price per pair is $22,000. Dividing that by 5 gives a parts cost per pair of $4400, or $2200 for each amplifier. I can easily see how a thick, milled aluminum case, custom low noise high power toroidal transformer, and premium circuit boards and premium board components (particularly ultra low noise power transistors) would cost $2200. Pass Labs is not hesitant to publish schematics and to discuss in detail their circuit designs and parts choices.

Applying the 5X rule to the $80,000 Articulation Control Console gives a parts cost of $16,000. I would need substantially more than "faith" to make me believe that that nice milled aluminum box and the parts therein came up to, or anywhere near, $16,000.
    Post edited by DarqueKnight on
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • F1nut
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Ray, they would be happy to discuss the product. Just give them a call or click on the link in their site. There is also a large PDF download available.

For now there is this.
    The internal parts of each ACC interface are primarily handmade and require about 200 hours of labor to complete. Each component is meticulously matched, piece by piece. every part is positioned and hand soldered in place. The complexity and number of networks involved require more internal space and insulation from vibration. This is managed by mounting and isolating the network assemblies on an internal plinth, eliminating sympathetic resonances that can affect playback. The result is imaging of unprecedented clarity and dimension.

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Ray, they would be happy to discuss the product. Just give them a call or click on the link in their site. There is also a large PDF download available.

For now there is this.
    The internal parts of each ACC interface are primarily handmade and require about 200 hours of labor to complete. Each component is meticulously matched, piece by piece. every part is positioned and hand soldered in place. The complexity and number of networks involved require more internal space and insulation from vibration. This is managed by mounting and isolating the network assemblies on an internal plinth, eliminating sympathetic resonances that can affect playback. The result is imaging of unprecedented clarity and dimension.

I did download and read the ACC brochure, and I saw the part you quoted. I didn't see anything in the brochure that justifies an $80 asking price, or even a fourth of that.
  • DarqueKnight
    Options
    Regardless, I am sure there is solid justification for the price tag, but its incomprehensible to us common folk.

If there is solid justification, it would not be incomprehensible to us common folk. I'm not an aeronautical engineer, but I can understand a basic explanation of why a jet fighter costs $50 million. I can even understand why a mil-spec toilet seat costs $800.

There is a class of goods termed "carriage trade" which refers to merchandise marketed exclusively to wealthy individuals who want something "different" from us common folk. Such goods have exorbitant prices to create "exclusivity", but usually offer no performance or quality benefit over much less expensive items. They are packaged and finished expensively though.
  • F1nut
    Options
    This is not a product I would be interested in because I do not like tone controls.

Let's say they are tone controls and in a sense they are, just as every piece of gear in your rig is.
    With regard to retail price, I have to be able to make some sense of what is being asked. A rule of thumb for high end audio is that retail price is typically 5X the cost of parts. This markup accounts for development, manufacturing, marketing, and distribution costs.

I'm sure you are not alone in that line of thought. I can't say I've ever thought about any product like that and I'm sure many others haven't either. Interesting, none the less.

President of Club Polk

• Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    edited May 2016
    Options
    In other forums and literature, not all of it written by people who use coat hangers as speaker wire, I have read that you want the sound to be as unaltered as possible by the cables. Some expensive cables label themselves explicitly based on this dictum. That said, my understanding of tone controls are that they would somehow color the signal. Put another way, other than one precise setting, such controls would permit manipulating the signal at the expense of true-to-life accuracy. Is that appealing?

I could have it wrong. Perhaps the message is that some recordings will need to be tuned in, if you will, one way and others, well, need a different tonal touch. Along those lines, I guess these allow you to customize the cable influence to the individual source. This is a conceptual question, but can we even know without listening to the cables first?

I freely admit I've never used expensive cables, much less stuff that would qualify for WhatsBestForum featuring. So forgive my ignorance. And...please don't shoot. I swear it is genuine.
    Post edited by Paradoxex on