New MIT cables, adjustable articulation!

Options

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,082
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I think she was hoping to find more people with preconceived notions and closed minds to form a united front against all. When that didn't happen now she's not getting the ego stroke she needs so time to find it elsewhere. Many times I think there is a slight mental imbalance too.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    I still like a good hot dog, no matter what.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I still like a good hot dog, no matter what.

Considering what goes into a Hotdog, I can believe that Russ. :)

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    Options
    Chicaygo style, of course!
  • tonyb
    Options
    Chicaygo style, of course!

Of course....they say you are what you eat. Given a Chicago hotdog, I think it's safe to say we all have a little Jimmy Hoffa in us....if ya know what I'm sayin'. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    Options
    Now, back to MIT....I don't suppose these new cables will be making the demo rounds soon. Don't know if I can afford the insurance alone on 80k cables.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • lightman1
    Options
    They cost twice as much as my first house. Plus my lowly Emeralds would die of embarrassment just being near those cables.
  • tonyb
    Options
    Lol....can you imagine the depreciation on those puppies after 2 years of ownership ? Probably be lucky to get 30k for them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Although its somewhat hypocritical of me But I gotta admit I sometimes enjoy a good hot dog too. It can be interesting what comes out of them!
  • tonyb
    Options
    Comes outta them.....or you ?

:p
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • befuddle
    befuddle Posts: 126
    Options
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    you guys are so wrong. Those Chicago dogs have ketchup, mustard, raw onions,relish, tomatoes, and all sorts of other stuff on them. I'll take a Sabretts dirty water dog N.Y style w/ mustard and sauerkraut any day over that. See, as we all know it's a matter of taste just to throw that up to you guys ...lol
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • lightman1
    Options
    I will agree with Lee in that aspect.
    But a good Carolina dog is darn tasty as well. Mustard, chili and coleslaw. Grilled dog.
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    Awww dang, she is no longer contributing? She did tell me once that her hubby was a member her.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    Options
    I will agree with Lee in that aspect.
    But a good Carolina dog is darn tasty as well. Mustard, chili and coleslaw. Grilled dog.

I've had those, very good!

The West Virginia dogs are delicious too, hot dog sauce (spicy chili without beans), mustard and onions on steamed buns. Nothing like it! You say you want ketchup, relish or coleslaw on it? Get the H*E*L*L out of my shop! or What the H*E*L*L is wrong with you? Yep, heard it said more than once. :D
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • lightman1
    Options
    I know....it's Lew.....autocorrect insisted your name was Lee. I win!!
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Ketchup and hotdog should not be in the same sentence
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • lightman1
    Options
  • Paradoxex
    Paradoxex Posts: 189
    Options
    2chnfan wrote: »
    And its with this reasoning of MIT existing as one of the highly regarded manufacturers in this field it would naturally be assumed that at that given price point a respectably noted performance increase in relation to cost would be expected.
    In a field where product reputation and company respect play a major role in their success within the discerning audiophile community Mr.Brisson must feel confident from a business and reputation standpoint to release and market this product as their all out top model

There's a reason this thread exists, and I think it is because the "respectably noted performance increase" is under some scrutiny. At what point do the diminishing returns of audio investment become a literal plateau beyond which there really isn't discernible improvement, just difference?

At the least, I must admit it has been hard for me to wrap my head how these are twice as nice as $40,000 cables, and it gets harder when they need to be 3-400 times nicer than older variants of their own cables. I get that they aren't due to aforementioned diminishing returns, but I have to admit I find it hard to believe people would by these cables without first confirming that there are magical leprechauns playing sweet music with the hamstrings of unicorns as they improve the sound passing through the beautifully milled aluminum (not platinum, WTF!) chassis.

The best justification for these is that they are "statement" pieces, which is a concise way of saying that the value proposition is dismissed here (or is "subjective"), because these are just darn cool and are meant to show what can be done, at great profit to the designer.

The only way to put an end to this debate is for MIT to let the forum demo these cables so members can listen and let us all know if a set of these are worth two luxury sedans, a nice home in much of America, or all the room and electrical treatments and sound isolation technology you can imagine to lower the noise floor in other ways.

Absent MIT sending us these cables, someone must volunteer to buy them. Who's game?
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    Xcapri, Are you also of the opinion amplifiers do not matter? Using your "measurements are the only thing that matters" criteria then all 100 watt amplifiers not driven to their extreme limits would sound the same?

• Lord Vader
    Lord Vader Posts: 167
    edited May 2016
    Options
    v8a3os020cog.gif
    Get it? B)

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,806
    edited May 2016
    Options
    xcapri79 wrote: »
    Claims without proof become baseless claims.

Let's see the proof of your beloved emo gear.

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    It's happening again... :fearful:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    Options
    The inside of what I believe is an Oracle network box.ljk8bn9bs3qy.jpeg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,765
    edited May 2016
    Options
    "Extrapolating" implies one wouldn't necessarily need to hear, but rather extrapolate what one might hear based on experience? Isn't this an example of expectation bias, no?

It has been argued here that one had to hear the difference for themselves and not extrapolate anything.

Go back and re-read my comment you quoted. Calm down, breathe, and read slowly. I specifically said:

"extrapolating what the performance benefits might be"

The phrase "might be" implies that you still have to listen and verify.
    Show me on a scope and properly conducted repeatable listening tests that these cables can make an audible difference at least. Claims without proof become baseless claims.

Show me on a scope and properly conducted repeatable listening tests that these cables CAN'T make an audible difference at least. Claims without proof become baseless claims.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The inside of what I believe is an Oracle network box.ljk8bn9bs3qy.jpeg

Is the adjustment so a person can dial in the cables to match the attached gear? With the discussions regarding system synergy it seems the adjustability could serve a legitimate purpose other than looking cool.

If I understand this correctly, speaker cable measurements will be a combination of inductance, resistance, and capacitance with all three combined dictating how the cables will work in a given system. Any change in one or more for those three paramaters can change how a cable might sound in a system. Is this interaction what is referred to as synergy?

If the above is correct then the adjustment in the network box is used to dial in the cable to the system?

• F1nut
    Options
    Is the adjustment so a person can dial in the cables to match the attached gear?

It adjusts the articulations points, which in turn allows you to best match your gear. MIT interconnects have an adjustment on them that allows you to best match the input impedance of your gear.
    Is this interaction what is referred to as synergy?

It's certainly part of it.
    If the above is correct then the adjustment in the network box is used to dial in the cable to the system?

Correct.

Another aspect that some folks overlook in their zeal to poo poo MIT and other high end cables is the actual configuration of the cable. I have seen the guts of a lot of cables out there, but nowhere close to all of them. With that in mind, I can say that MIT has a configuration unlike any other I have seen. It's a far cry from stranded wire.

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    Options
    Most higher end cables are a far cry from regular stranded wire.....and that's the point isn't it ? Once you go beyond the same stranded belden wire used in many brands, you'll hear and appreciate the differences.

BTW....as Dirty Harry once said...." Nobody puts ketchup on a Hotdog". I tend to agree.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • F1nut
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Claims without proof become baseless claims.

Let's see the proof of your beloved emo gear.

So, the best response you've got to my question is to LOL a bunch of posts?

President of Club Polk