Acculab 550--anyone know about these?

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    I don't know why, but I will.....

High Fidelity isn't a fixed target. It, like most things, is open to subjectivity and interpretation.

Having said that, higher fidelity to the original source in terms of bits and sampling rates...yada yada yada doesn't tell the WHOLE story. If it were, EVERY LP would, theoretically, sound better than every CD. Certainly not the case. There is good and bad in every medium. Example, I played a red book copy of Norah Jones on the Carver rig followed by Pat Benatar 'Crimes of Passion' on pristine vinyl. The sound quality of Norah was FAR better than the LP of Pat Benatar. My GOD! How can this be? Simple, if you start with crap (in terms of the original master) regardless of how you duplicate it, it's still crap.

Make sense?

Now, generally speaking, if ANYONE wants to bring a computer and some files on it and put it up against any of my sources, I'll GLADLY accept that challenge.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • KentVaughn
    KentVaughn Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    There are some awesome quotes in this thread.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,535
    edited September 2005
    wow. I didn't even participate and I'm wore-out....
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • KentVaughn
    KentVaughn Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    Poor Mark's first post, and now it's massive.

A standup comic could read this and have a happy audience.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2005
    steveinaz wrote:
    wow. I didn't even particiapte and I'm wore-out....

That makes 2 of us Steve!

Fellas rather than all of this sniping back & forth why don't we just let it go. He's going to do what he's going to do.

I understand his point about being told to dump his junk. Right now he can't afford to because something, even junk is better than nothing. And since he doesn't thinks it's junk, than let him have at it.

He knows where to come if he wants reliable helpful information at a future date.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    Well said Cathy, well said.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    All the **** I could ever want (which is just about none--I'm not the gross "I want to bang every girl" type of guy) would be in my medical text-books... Very graphic pictures.
    That sounds really bad...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    Let's see... I'm going to school to be a doctor, not a drop-out flunky
    To quote Shania Twain "That don't impress me much". Let's see...about half of my clients are physcians. I have dinner with them, play golf with them, attend various social functions with them, etc... They're just people and they cover the entire spectrum of human traits. I am in awe at times of the tallent of most of them and some are great people. Some are ****. Same as everything else. If you want to be a good doctor...a plan would be to lose the know it all attitude and realize when to shut up and listen to the advice of those that know more than you. Fail to learn this and Med school will chew you up and spit you out!

And there are lots of students "going to school to be a doctor". Not many make it. Let us know in 8 -10 years how you've done.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,313
    edited September 2005
    By the way, one of the biggest reasons I use my computer for sound is because cd players can only play 16bit sound and not 24. I also listen to music beyond what winamp can play. I listen to music that is 96Khz @ 24 bit. a.k.a. DAT audio. No cd player can play these.

What rock have you been living under? There are a multitude of dedicated cdp's these days that do 24/192 with no problem.
    The purists would argue since these are not true analog wave forms, just refreshing frequencies, that the late vinyls on the proper equipment is the true high fidelity. Any seasoned and researched sound enthusiast would know that.

Hmmmm.....if you want to call limited dynamics and surface noise, high fidelity then knock yourself out.

You know the funny thing to me? I knew you were a putz from the very start, so thanks for proving me right in each and every one of your posts.

Just to be clear.......I mean I don't want you to get the wrong impression, ok?

You are, without question, the biggest PUTZ I've seen on here in a long time!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    F1nut wrote:
    What rock have you been living under? There are a multitude of dedicated cdp's these days that do 24/192 with no problem.

I think that I mentioned that earlier, when I said that my cdp has those capabilities, and quite frankly with the mods that Zero did or had done to it, it is a sweet sounding unit. Thanks Jesse, Thanks Sean. :)
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • NVR2LOW
    NVR2LOW Posts: 6
    edited September 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    I think that I mentioned that earlier, when I said that my cdp has those capabilities, and quite frankly with the mods that Zero did or had done to it, it is a sweet sounding unit. Thanks Jesse, Thanks Sean. :)

dont mean to be off topic, but what kind of mods can be done? sry, may be a stupid question but im new here :o
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2005
  • Markymark
    Markymark Posts: 111
    edited September 2005
    cfrizz wrote:
    Fellas rather than all of this sniping back & forth why don't we just let it go. He's going to do what he's going to do.

I understand his point about being told to dump his junk. Right now he can't afford to because something, even junk is better than nothing. And since he doesn't thinks it's junk, than let him have at it.

He knows where to come if he wants reliable helpful information at a future date.
    wow... thank you. Finally someone who has actually paid attention to what I've been saying.

For the people who think I'm dumb or a "putz." I have news for you: IT'S THE FREAKIN' INTERNET. Why the hell would I care what you think about me?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited September 2005
    Markymark who? When did he crawl out? I just nipped it in the butt and immediately ignored him...problem solved.

When I saw those speakers, it just made me laugh.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    Why the hell would I care what you think about me?

Typical response from someone who just got their speakers shoved up their arse without anal lube as I promised I would do.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited October 2005
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited October 2005
    I was bored last night and I stumbled upon this thread. After reading all 7 pages I didn't find it to be funny - it was more like exauhsting.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ducttapeman
    ducttapeman Posts: 9
    edited October 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Nice $5 word, of course I have no idea what race you are so it seems a bit out of line. If you were trying to it inappropriately to say that the audio world into ethnicities, well, can't help you there. Perhaps elitism is more appropriate, no?

You should get out a dictionary and look that word up...but, since you probably won't, let me help you.

Main Entry: eth·no·cen·tric
    Pronunciation: "eth-nO-'sen-trik
    Function: adjective
    : characterized by or based on the attitude that one's own group is superior

www.m-w.com

the shakedown; it basically means that some people believe their own subjective opinion is superior, at least that is the connotations of the word in how it is used by cultural anthropoligists and folklorists.

That word may have only been five dollars; but, you still didn't know it. Next time double check yourself before you try to correct somebody.
  • ducttapeman
    edited October 2005
    Hmmmm.....if you want to call limited dynamics and surface noise, high fidelity then knock yourself out.

I didn't say I beleived that, I was mentioning another viewpoint held by respectable sound enthusiasts. I'm sure they would have a good argument about "surface noise" and "limited dynamics" This is what I'm talking about with the ethnocentrism; at least I understand the subjectivity here and respect other peoples viewpoints (when reasonable).

You know the funny thing to me? I knew you were a putz from the very start, so thanks for proving me right in each and every one of your posts.

Just to be clear.......I mean I don't want you to get the wrong impression, ok?

You are, without question, the biggest PUTZ I've seen on here in a long time!!![/QUOTE]

The shakedown here; you're being an ****. You should ask yourself if how you've handled yourself here is helping anybody or doing any good. I tried to hop in here, lay down some facts without picking on anybody, and try to cool you all off. Next thing I know I'm being attacked and I don't remember intending to join a war here; which is now completely off topic and has resorted to merely name calling. I find this behavior to be pedantic and childish.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    No the problem here is that a new member came here seeking advice and opinions from the good people here at Club Polk. Once the new member didn't get the glowing review of his speakers he was looking for, he started in with the attitude. What did he expect at a POLK owned site, especially when he equated their sound to a very nice Polk speaker? That was where he went wrong and showed his lack of knowledge in audio gear.

For you guys to come in here, not even knowing who you were dealing with, and start stirring the pot is what is childish. This thread could/should have ended 2 days ago , but you guys kept coming back with nonsense and having to get the last word in. I know that when I joined this club, I showed respect for the senior members here, whether I agreed with their opinions or not. But it seems that the younger generation, for the most part, still has no respect for their elders. Internet anonimity seems to allow for this, as I doubt that if this were a face to face conversation it would have ever gotten to this point.

If you don't like what you read here, then don't come back. There are many an audio forums on the internet for you to troll. I doubt that if you go to one of them and treat the senior members there, with the same lack of respect that you did here, you would get any different response from the members of that forum.

Good Day

This is coming from the one member that actually offered to open up his home and allow you in to demonstrate what a fairly nice 2-channel rig can sound like without having to spend $5-10k.

11 pages and still kickin
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited October 2005
    I find this behavior to be pedantic and childish.

Ahhhhhh, you must be new here.........................hang around long enough and it will become clear that we're not childish at all, actually most of us are just old and cranky. :D
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • ducttapeman
    edited October 2005
    Ahhhhhh, you must be new here.........................hang around long enough and it will become clear that we're not childish at all, actually most of us are just old and cranky. :D

lol, I like the way that sounds better. I think I actually will hang around; I'm sure I can pick up some good advice about what speakers to get for my studio rig when I get some money scraped together. (I've been editing sound so far with my Sennheiser HD280's)
  • F1nut
    edited October 2005
    The shakedown here; you're being an ****. You should ask yourself if how you've handled yourself here is helping anybody or doing any good. I tried to hop in here, lay down some facts without picking on anybody, and try to cool you all off. Next thing I know I'm being attacked and I don't remember intending to join a war here; which is now completely off topic and has resorted to merely name calling. I find this behavior to be pedantic and childish.

So, who asked you to jump in and try to stick up for your putz of a brother? I know none of us did, could it have been him.......hmmmmm? I'll tell you what, why don't you butt out and let your brother take the beating he asked for!?! That would be the manly thing to do. Are you a man?

As for my doing any good? Hey, I tried, but he didn't like the answers he got. Wake up and smell the coffee, it's your brother who is the ****. I've got nothing to apologize for, he does.

President of Club Polk

• nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited October 2005
    My brother (who is working on a degree in recording arts) uses these speakers as well. They are more accurate than most studio headphones he has heard (open and closed back); they are very similar to high-end studio monitors, hence the reason we use them to record. I have a pair of open backed studio headphones and I prefer doing the editing with the speakers.

Jesus Christ, if you think those are better than studio monitors I'd hate to be the poor **** listening to the records.
    If you love your Accucrap's so much why not just drill a hole in them, lubricate...
    Welcome the the forum.

]
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • F1nut
    edited October 2005
    OUCH! That's going to leave a markymark.

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    edited October 2005
    Gold Jerry, Gold!!!

Keep spanking this moron, good job brohams!
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited October 2005
    Atleast it's not bose :)
  • RuSsMaN
    edited October 2005
    I'd rather have Bose, than that Accusshit.
  • Markymark
    Markymark Posts: 111
    edited October 2005
    I'm glad you all feel the need to openly insult speakers you have never heard.

By the way, when have I insulted anyone? How many times have I been called names? Who is being mature?

I am definitely accepting your opinions but it comes to a point when the opinions just turn into sheer ignorant remarks, and I do believe it has come to that point.

When did I say I'm not learning anything? Oh, I didn't? Oh... my bad, from your posts I could have sworn I wasn't... *rolls eyes*

By the way, I never wanted a "glowing review" (to quote one of your beloved members). I was wanting INFORMATION about my speakers. Obviously telling me that they are worth NOTHING and that they should be thrown away was NOT the information that was needed...
    Information. definition:
    knowledge obtained from investigation, study, or instruction

Somehow, I think we are missing the "investigation" or "knowledge" aspect of my speakers. So far, few of you have actually told me something knowledgeable about these speakers (kabuki is not knowledgeable, sorry to break your heart...). A few of you have actually helped (sorry f1nut, you are not one of these) and I am appreciative of that help.

you all can "retaliate" all you want. I really don't care. You are just showing your lack of maturity with the insults. I really only respect one person from this thread and I do believe he knows who he is (I've talked to him via pm).

Have fun guys, I'm awaiting the locking of this thread--which will happen soon enough with your all's insults flying my way (none of which are being returned).
  • F1nut
    edited October 2005
    WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    I'm laughing so hard I damn near can't type.

You can stop digging now, you've reached 6 feet.

President of Club Polk

This discussion has been closed.