Acculab 550--anyone know about these?

Comments

• Markymark
    Markymark Posts: 111
    edited October 2005
    Why? By telling you that you have contributed nothing to this thread?

I'm sorry for being blunt, but that's the truth.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,313
    edited October 2005
    6 1/2 feet, but hey.....it's your grave.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nellis8166
    nellis8166 Posts: 292
    edited October 2005
    Something tells me he's friends with the moron that was trying to sell ripped ghetto rap DVD's in here yesterday...Guess they come in bunches.
    RTi10
    CSi5
    RTi28
    SVS PB12-ISD2

Denon 2106(pre/pro)
    Adcom 5503(200x3)

Audioquest Diamondback ICS
    Kimber Kable 8tc biwire(mains and center)

"Don't let your silly dreams fall in between the crack of the bed and the wall."
    -J. James
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2005
    Ok, MY last words on the whole subject.

The empirical fact of the matter is, the speakers are junk. To 99.5% of the audio freaks out there, more than 1.79 to repair them is a waste. Further, for not a lot of money, you can purchase speakers that will run circles around them. Just LOOKING at it will tell you it's a lousy design. I don't have to hear it, neither do folks like Russ, Mark, Jesse and a host of others. We've seen/heard a lot of crappy speakers. G'head and post on them over at audioasylum, think this reaction is bad??

Then it just gets worse. Some advice, if you don't know what you are talking about, be quiet.
    cd players are only 44.1khz @ 16 bit.

It's just not true. You'd be hard pressed to find less than 24 bit in a CD player these days, unless you are looking at paying less than 5 bucks.

Then the thread morphed into a rant about .mp3 and so forth. Not a knock on your gear, but through your playback system (Acculabe, Magnavox, Computer) it doesn't really matter. Added to the fact that your speakers are broken and they aren't set up in any way CLOSE to a stereo setup, it's not capable of high resolution. It isn't. Sorry. However, to assume that we can't on our rigs or that we can't tell the difference is presumptuous at best. At BEST.
    I can hear a difference between a cd player and the true high-fidelity.

Not to insult, but even with a 'high fidelity' source....what would it matter if you can't reproduce the sound (which you can't)? BTW, don't feel bad, the inability to reproduce the source material is THE limiting factor for the vinyl crowd. You can have the best source material in the world but have limited playback ability, then high fidelity doesn't matter. Also, as I've pointed out, high fidelity is a subjective term.

Now ducttape boy shows up.....

A term tosser. On the one hand he's saying, in regards to variable bitrate that it should sound pretty close (which it COULD) and so forth then metions subjectivity. Well, it's trying to argue for both sides. Pick one side or the other, you can't really have both. The long and the short seems to be, if you boil it down, if you can't measure it, it's not audible and of you extrapolate...if it's a minute measurement, it's probably BARELY audible and not audible on our rudimentary players. Which, IMO, is laughable. There's just not enough space/time to debate that one. It's just silly.

Here's something that both of you could stand to wrap your head around. Many of us are college educated professionals as well. The difference being, we've got a few more years of experience under our belts. This is where Mark and Ducttap boy get into trouble:
    Let's see... I'm going to school to be a doctor, not a drop-out flunky

This is spoken like a true ****. Neither you nor your brother have any idea of our backgrounds because the implied assumtion is that we are a bunch of flunkies. A couple of kids that have a few 300 level courses under thier belts.....you two have ZERO clue what we know. If you want to start dropping fifty cent words go ahead, i'll be your huckleberry.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited October 2005
    You know what else is funny? This guy doesn't actually directly address any of the numerous occasions where he's been found and proven to be wrong - won't even acknowledge or address those...

That says enough for me...
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited October 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Nice $5 word, of course I have no idea what race you are so it seems a bit out of line. If you were trying to it inappropriately to say that the audio world into ethnicities, well, can't help you there. Perhaps elitism is more appropriate, no?

You should get out a dictionary and look that word up...but, since you probably won't, let me help you.

Main Entry: eth·no·cen·tric
    Pronunciation: "eth-nO-'sen-trik
    Function: adjective
    : characterized by or based on the attitude that one's own group is superior

www.m-w.com

That word may have only been five dollars; but, you still didn't know it. Next time double check yourself before you try to correct somebody.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=ethnocentric

I'd suggest you do the same. Look it up, it is the belief of ethnic superiority. Look at the roots. Thanks for playing and goodnight.

To everyone else, sorry 'bout the bump I'm done wasting my time with booger eating morons who shift-F7 the hell out of every post trying to be "intellectual".
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited October 2005
    He said booger eating morons
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • Tritonman
    Tritonman Posts: 159
    edited October 2005
    Just to let everyone know..Im a rocket scientist. :p
  • Spawndn72
    Spawndn72 Posts: 453
    edited October 2005
    This is my last week at work and I have absolutely nothing to do. So thanks for the legnthy thread. It helped me waste almost 1 hour (I have to look busy if anyone passes by).

BTW I wonder if that big hole in the surround of the PR is helping to get rid of that low freq. spike? Hell, punch a hole in the other one :)
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Pioneer DV-578A Multi-format
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • Spawndn72
    edited October 2005
    Just to let everyone know..Im a rocket scientist.

Good, maybe you can help me then. Do you know what the air speed velocity of an unlaiden swallow is? Also if you could tell me the wind resistance of a standard coconut traveling at the average air speed velocity of the above mentioned swallow, that would be great.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited October 2005
    Is it an African swallow or a European swallow? :D
  • Markymark
    edited October 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    ...booger eating morons who shift-F7...
    so wait... we aren't allowed to have a vocabulary bigger than what you think we should have? How oppressive...
  • jdhdiggs
    edited October 2005
    Have you ever thought that if everybody, not related to you, thinks you're an idiot that there might be something to that? Yet you keep on digging...

The only people who seem to be impressed with your collective intellect is yourselves.

Time to flip your word of the day calendar and move along, perhaps today’s word will be syntax. :rolleyes:
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Markymark
    edited October 2005
    Sorry, lingustics is taught at a young age now so I'll need something a bit more impressive to be insulted.
  • Markymark
    edited October 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Have you ever thought that if everybody, not related to you, thinks you're an idiot that there might be something to that?
    wow... if you all are the only people I know besides family then it is time to buy a gun and a bullet.
  • ND13
    edited October 2005
    Die Thread Die, Already
  • ducttapeman
    ducttapeman Posts: 9
    edited October 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=ethnocentric

I'd suggest you do the same. Look it up, it is the belief of ethnic superiority. Look at the roots. Thanks for playing and goodnight.

To everyone else, sorry 'bout the bump I'm done wasting my time with booger eating morons who shift-F7 the hell out of every post trying to be "intellectual".

that's not what Merriam-Webster says now is it? I'm sorry, but, I'm pretty sure M-W is a better and more updated source. I tried hitting shift-F7 like you said I do; and it didn't do anything. If I could have thought of a more common word to say the same thing I would have used it; I'm not trying to talk down to anybody.

This thread has become very lame; I'm pretty sure the topic is about the Acculabs. They sound damn good to me (with my receiver) for being free speakers; and it's still cheaper to replace two mids than to spend 400 dollars or more for new speakers of the same sound quality. You can argue with me if you want on that price, but, I've actually heard these speakers unlike any of the rest of you.
  • Tritonman
    Tritonman Posts: 159
    edited October 2005
    Spawndn72 wrote:
    Good, maybe you can help me then. Do you know what the air speed velocity of an unlaiden swallow is? Also if you could tell me the wind resistance of a standard coconut traveling at the average air speed velocity of the above mentioned swallow, that would be great.

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

I **** in your general direction :p
  • jdhdiggs
    edited October 2005
    Last post for me here, obviously these knuckleheads would both need to be present to count to forty.

Hit shift-F7 in any windows product, see what happens...

Second, I have heard those and they are garage speakers at BEST. For making noise and free, cool. Serious speakers they are not. The fact that one of you "works in studios" and claims that a speaker with a blown mid and holes in the passive radiator driven off of a POS receiver sounds good.... Well, hopefully you see the point

To either of you: has anyone BUT your brother supported your thoughts anywhere in this thread?

Linguistics? Are you sure that's what they taught you... If it is, than you would realize that my definition is actually the correct one. M-W PC'd it a bit. Couldn't come up with a better word? A bit limited in our vocabulary are we?

Oh, and please address all of the other posts where others have continually pointed out the flaws and direct falsehoods in your statements. Please, we can all learn from your infinate wisdom....

Tritonman, nice setup...
  • Markymark
    edited October 2005
    we all can learn from your "infinate" wisdom too.

Maybe you should use that shift+F7 you talk so much about.
  • Spawndn72
    edited October 2005
    Marky, it is entirely posible that your broken speakers(busted surround, blown mid), cheap reciever, computer source, and horrible setup have somehow or another come toghther to create the end all be all of refrence systems. So, if I were you, I would be careful not to even breath in that room, otherwise you might just destroy the whole thing. You must be very careful with this symbiosis. One false move and you could bring about the end of civilization.

Or...........

You have no clue what you are talking about.
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • ND13
    edited October 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    Die Thread Die, Already

PLEASE!!!!
  • Spawndn72
    edited October 2005
    Awww, come on Noel. I did not see this thread until today. It is stil new and fresh for me. Let me poke at it for a while. :D
    Setup:
    Adcom GFA-545 amp
    Nad 1600 pre
    Dual 704 TT
    Pioneer 707 R2R
    Polk SDA-2 Mains
  • ND13
    edited October 2005
    Spawndn72 wrote:
    Awww, come on Noel. I did not see this thread until today. It is stil new and fresh for me. Let me poke at it for a while. :D

Oh...okay....have your fun guys. I know I could use a little humor. I'll just quit posting and read what ya'll post. :cool:
  • ducttapeman
    ducttapeman Posts: 9
    edited October 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Hit shift-F7 in any windows product, see what happens...

Internet explorer is a windows product? If you meant anything in microsoft office; that's fine. I guess I don't know anybody who writes their posts in microsoft word first.
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Second, I have heard those and they are garage speakers at BEST. For making noise and free, cool. Serious speakers they are not. The fact that one of you "works in studios" and claims that a speaker with a blown mid and holes in the passive radiator driven off of a POS receiver sounds good.... Well, hopefully you see the point

I listened to them before they had any damage, if you remember Mark said that I am the one who blew the mids initially (a horrible catastrophe with mic feedback...).
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Linguistics? Are you sure that's what they taught you... If it is, than you would realize that my definition is actually the correct one. M-W PC'd it a bit. Couldn't come up with a better word? A bit limited in our vocabulary are we?

It's not PC...it's academic and that's how I've heard that word used. You should consider your source; start on your source's webpage by clicking on the flashing banner at the top to win a free iPod nano. :eek: And, no, I said I couldn't think of a better word; but, neither could you. I never claimed to have the most extensive lexicon around this forum. I don't understand why you're attacking me; don't misdirect your frustations with Mark or Taylor's posts towards me.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,497
    edited October 2005
    Ok lets look at this... at a design standpoint...

We have a piezo tweeter and two cheap midranges...

Chances are these midranges are ran together playing the same signal. I highly doubt that is a 4-way design. So assuming each midrange is playing the same exact signal... and they are side by side - this is going to cause major problems with lobbing. Which would probally limit your soundstage and mess with clarity.

On top of this, you have the tweeter which is a piezo - it is mounted on the right side of the speaker (are they mirroed imaged?) - so we are looking at tons of diffraction problems... another limitation of soundstage.

Ok, then we have to consider that there is only about.. 15 dollars (if that) in drivers between the mids and tweeters. Piezos and midranges were metal grills over them are usually VERY cheap.

The crossover is probally not very impressive (care to crack the lid off and take a look?) - I am willing to bet there is not much to it...

Then we have the fact that this is a SEALED design. There is a small leak in the passive radiator on the bottom, which no longer makes this speaker a compression chamber within. Ouch. So we are looking at a speaker with a design that has been proven unsuccessful with time - with cheap drivers AND a messed up passive radiator which completely violates the design...

Nothing*, I repeat, NOTHING is in favor of those speakers.

Now can we all shut up?? :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Markymark
    edited October 2005
    Spawndn72 wrote:
    You have no clue what you are talking about.
    I went to D&M sound, found some speakers that I really like: Paradigm Monitor 5's. After a long time of listening, comparing, and talking to the guys there. I realized, "hey, my speakers are actually very accurate."

And then the unthinkable happend. They want me to bring by a resume. Aparently I don't know anything...
    I asked the guy what he thought of my speakers, he then asked me how I thought they sounded and then he told me: "I believe you."

Wow, never got that from any of you.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited October 2005
    Congratulations, we're all very proud of you.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,497
    edited October 2005
    I believe you Markymark. I really do. I promise!

*hugs*
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Markymark
    edited October 2005
    if I had the money, I would consider the Paradigm reference studio 40's.
This discussion has been closed.