Acculab 550--anyone know about these?

Comments

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Ran out of speaker cable? Got a Lowe's, Home Depot, Rat Shack or Walmart in town?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,497
    edited September 2005
    The chances are... they are midranges...

Probally something along these lines....

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=280-105
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Markymark
    Markymark Posts: 111
    edited September 2005
    TroyD wrote:
    Ran out of speaker cable? Got a Lowe's, Home Depot, Rat Shack or Walmart in town?

BDT
    Sure do.
    I'm too poor though... even for something like that. I have tuition with no job, financial aid is REALLY messy right now.
    :(

BTW, I was being sarcastic about the actives in place of the passive resonator. There are inadequate smilies though so I couldn't show...

Aparently I posses more knowledge than you think... but that's ok, I'm not out to impress anyone, it's just the internet. I can accept the fact that I'm a n00b but I still know a decent amount about home/car audio.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    PM me your addy, I'll send you some bulk speaker cable.

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,313
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    Aparently I posses more knowledge than you think... but that's ok

The fact that you're EVEN thinking about spending money on a pair of speakers that have a maximum value of $52.00 says otherwise.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Markymark
    edited September 2005
    F1nut wrote:
    The fact that you're EVEN thinking about spending money on a pair of speakers that have a maximum value of $52.00 says otherwise.
    Didn't we already esatblish ON PAGE ONE that they sound good to me and are worth repairing? Maybe you missed the memo... yeah, I'll just get you another copy.

Here are a couple of choices, you tell me which seems better with my current tuition situation:
    1) I throw these away and make you happy. I then go out and spend nearly $1,000 on a pair of speakers that sound nearly the same.
    2) I spend $52 sometime down the road when I do have money and have speakers that sound like a nice pair of Polks.

Seeing as I didn't pay for these, what would you choose? If you choose number 1, please send me money to buy the speakers. If you choose the latter, please sit down and shut up.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005
    First, if you think those sound anything like a $1000.00 pair of Polk's you're a fool. Second, if you spend any money on those you're a idiot. Third, you tell me to shut up again and I will hunt you down and shove those speakers up your arse. Clear!?!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Markymark
    edited September 2005
    shut up

have fun, I'm looking forward to meeting you. Tell you what, I'll even make it EASIER for you, I'll go ahead and put astro-glide on the speakers.

You don't give up do you? You have NO idea how they sound. You can't bash soomething that you've never heard. I've heard Polks, I've heard these. They are close in comparison. Comprehend? Or do I need to S-P-E-L-L it out for you?

p.s. I really do like how you've resorted to name calling... how mature :rolleyes:
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Mark,

Granted we have not heard YOUR speakers but I've heard enough speakers to know that those are garbage. Well, maybe not garbage, but there are very few people who would spend the money to rehab them. Not to mention, seems that you can't even afford 4 or 5 bucks for a stretch of cheap speaker cable....I've heard enough crappy rack systems that I can probably hum a few bars what they sound like. Prolly a 5-6 db boost between 50-60hz to make you think they have great bass. Highs are pretty bright to make you think they are detailed.

So far, you've not offered up anything to back up your claim of being of being more audio savvy than we might think. For some kid to come in hear going on about how some rack system speaks are the greatest thing since sliced bread (with shot surrounds and a bad mid to boot)....pffffffft....that's just plain silly. Now, I'm a big believer in products that perform way out of thier price point, I own a few and those ain't it.

I'll admit to hacking on you about your screen name, for that I apologize, but you are acting like a spoiled little know it all. Why not just go to the Acculab forum and ask those folks about your speakers? I'm sure that they must have some sort of cult following. :rolleyes:

BDT
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005
    Ok, have it your way. :rolleyes:

You see the difference between you and me is that I've been in audio over twice as long as the last time you suckled your mama's teet. I don't have to listen to those speakers to know that they are crapola. Is that clear enough?

You're over your head here son and I've run out of patience trying to help you. Funny thing is, you don't even know enough about audio to realize that I and the other good people here were trying to help.

BTW, I call them as I see them and I stand by my comments concerning your lack of intelligence.

President of Club Polk

• Markymark
    edited September 2005
    noo... this is the reason I record with them, they are very flat. Impressively so. I am not one of those "OMG BASS BASS WOW WOW LOL LOL" guys... I prefer a flat sound. If they had that "great bass" I would not like them...

Obviously you guys don't think these are worth repairing, much less fixing. I do appreciate your apology. You have been quite cordial. F1nut has not shown the same level of cordiality. I am nice if you are nice, I don't give respect when it's not deserved.

Now, this is no longer open for discussion about whether or not they are worth keeping. The owner has made up his mind, a few people on some internet forum will not be able to persuade him to throw them out and spend a lot of money on something else.

Please, do expound upon the "little know it all" that you claim I am. Where have I claimed to know everything? My claims are simple: I've heard Polk, the sound is closely comparable. Does that make me spoiled? Does that make me sound like I'm a "know it all".
    I'm not coming in here trying to pick fights, granted I find humor when people act like retards, but I'm looking for trouble. I just wanted an answer, got more than I wanted.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    One, I doubt that you were being sarcastic about the PR. Ten years ago, I would have asked the same thing. There's no harm in saying, gee, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Look at the front of the speaker, see that bump just before the fr falls off? That is the bass bump I'm talking about. See the piezo tweeter? I KNOW what they can sound like. Like an audible dog whistle. It's caca.

Now, if you want to throw good money after bad, be my guest. However, if you take your 52 dollars and save it and maybe add a few bucks to it, I can rattle off at LEAST a dozen pair of speakers that will soundly trounce your Acculabs. Prolly make your roomie think that his speakers, which he's never heard a FRACTION of what they are capable of (which would explain to an extent why you like the acculabs) think he might have been gyped.

Now, if you are interested in LEARNING something. Stick around. Jesse, curmudgeon (sp) that he is, is one of the most helpful and generous folks there is. What he knows, he knows and he's not going to mince words to placate your ego. IF all you are interested in is rehabing your speakers, go to PE. Get your stuff and sayonara as I will agree that those speakers are crap. Not that you would know as it would appear that neither you nor your roomie know anything about stereophonic reproduction, again, nothing wrong with that. Many don't and could care less, that's fine.

BDT
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    F1nut wrote:
    I and the other good people here were trying to help.
    oh sure... telling me to throw them away in, seemingly, every post is really helpful. I read it once, what makes you think I need to read it again and again and again, etc... I didn't just ignore it the first time, I rejected it. I do believe I made that known, if I was unclear, please let me know and I will be sure to tell you, for the nth time, that I am not getting rid of them.

F1nut wrote:
    BTW, I call them as I see them and I stand by my comments concerning your lack of intelligence
    so, you know my intelligence huh? Interesting... Who resorted to name calling? I would think that someone who is, seemingly, claiming a higher intelligence would be able to argue without calling someone an "idiot" (or, as you said, "a idiot") and a fool.

This whole thing is quite humorous. I'm getting quite a kick out of it.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    First, if you think those sound anything like a $1000.00 pair of Polk's you're a fool. Second, if you spend any money on those you're a idiot

Mark, if you survey 100 audio enthusiasts......I'd wager a bottle of good gin that 98 will agree with him.

BDT
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    BDT: I would like to learn. Kent (rommie) is on his own, he can justify his buying of those speakers. I cannot.
    I understand the harmonics of sound; however, I do not know much about the projection sound.
    If you have something that is supposedly a little more than $52 that will trounce my speakers, please post them. I would love to see them.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    All of these speakers can be had with vigilance and patience for under 150 and in many cases, under 100.

Some ones that I have owned:

Advent Loudspeaker (Large, Small, Baby...)
    AR-2ax, AR-4 (any number of vintage AR)
    Polk Monitor 5,7,10
    Boston Acoustics A-40,70,100
    Polk RT7

Geeze, there is a TON more but I think you get the idea.

BDT
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    I prefer monitors. Whatever is the flatest, closest to true sound is what I want (for recording). You can get these substantially cheaper than buying good studio monitors.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    I'll check those out tomorrow, it's late and I have a 2 hour med-micro lecture at 8...

Thanks for the help.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005
    oh sure... telling me to throw them away in, seemingly, every post is really helpful. I read it once, what makes you think I need to read it again and again and again, etc... I didn't just ignore it the first time, I rejected it. I do believe I made that known, if I was unclear, please let me know and I will be sure to tell you, for the nth time, that I am not getting rid of them.

Yep, that's the best advice (help) you'll ever get here. Don't want it, fine! As I said, I done helping you.

so, you know my intelligence huh? Interesting... Who resorted to name calling? I would think that someone who is, seemingly, claiming a higher intelligence would be able to argue without calling someone an "idiot" (or, as you said, "a idiot") and a fool.

Let's back up here son. You're the one who started with your "shut up" comment. The response you got, you deserved. BTW, I wasn't agruing with you, I was getting your audio education on. Something you don't seem to want to learn.

This whole thing is quite humorous. I'm getting quite a kick out of it.

Another reason you can't be taken seriously. :rolleyes:

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Hey, I'm not THAT chea.....well, now that you mention it.

Russ does still owe me a handjob.

BDT
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,497
    edited September 2005
    HEY!

I want a pair of RT7 for 100 bucks...

I always see them for 250-300... :(
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • KentVaughn
    KentVaughn Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    Wow... I'm glad I slept through all of that.

Ya'll are pretty feisty online ;)
  • KentVaughn
    KentVaughn Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    Are there any other Polkies in the midwest? I wouldn't mind hearing some of these older speakers.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    MM & KV,

I think I remember ya'll saying that you were in the Midwest, right? I have a pretty nice pair of Monitor 10As that have the WONDERFUL Peerless tweeter in them, that I'll let go for what I have in them, $145. That would be for local pick-up, only. They do not have grills, but quite frankly, I like them nude alot better. They do have the original stands. If you wish, and came down on a Sunday, I would demo them for you with both SS power and tube power. Does that sound interesting to ya?
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2005
    KentVaughn wrote:
    Are there any other Polkies in the midwest?

Shoot for a state.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    Zero wrote:
    Lastly – help us, help you… what equipment do you run with these speakers? What type of music do you listen to?
    Classical (Beethoven, Mahler, etc...), Tool, Dream Theater, Radiohead, mostly classical but I enjoy some prog rock/old school rock every know and then.
    I'm running an old Magnavox reciever that I bought 8 years ago. I will try to find the specs on it but it will be hard because there is no model number on the reciever itself. I push the sound to the reciever from my computer (Sound Blaster Audigy).
    The EQ's on my computer and reciever are flat, no boosting.

ND13: I have family in Bloomington (sister/husband, and brother) so I'm sure I could get out there sometime.
    I would love to hear those through a tube... mmmm... tube...
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    Magnavox? They make/made recievers? You really need to visit Noel ASAP. Of course you're pocketbook might be pissed, but your ears will be happy.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    My pocketbook would be incredibly pissed. I don't have the money to cover my tuition right now... much less a new reciever.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    Ok, it's a Magnavox MX751 pro.
    I am having a hard time finding anything on it. Google turns up a crapload of remotes but no specs on it.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    Eh, tuition comes first. That allows you to buy much cooler toys down the line.

I would say that you only need about $500 to build a totally kick **** system from scratch. I have a setup at that price where I haven't heard a better setup for under $2K yet (or about $4K if you like retail prices).
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
This discussion has been closed.