Acculab 550--anyone know about these?

Comments

• Markymark
    Markymark Posts: 111
    edited September 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    Computers are lousy,noisy sources, period.
    This is where I will emphatically put my foot down. I have NO static from my computer. My machine is to computers as your beloved highest-quality Polks are to speakers.

Build it right and you will have NO extra noise. You just have to spend money on the right sound card.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    WilliamM2 wrote:
    If your playing MP3's, forget it. The sound quality of MP3's is crap.
    Ever heard of variable bitrate? Same quality as a .wav file. What are .wav files? Why, they are the files that are found on a cd.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Markymark- you're insane. variable bitrate isn't even close to CD quality. It's still COMPRESSED. And no matter how you cut it, compressed is going to be worse than CD quality. Even lossless compression will sound different than a CD.

Stop talking down to us like we don't know ****. And yes, I have my entire CD collection ripped to 320kbit MP3s, but only for background music. For critical listening, I put the real CD in.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    edited September 2005
    Ever heard of variable bitrate? Same quality as a .wav file.

No, it's not. It's still compressed, the dynamic range is lower than CD, or .wav files.
    What are .wav files? Why, they are the files that are found on a cd.

Wrong again, the files on a CD are .cda files, not .wav files. Your computer converts them to .wav files.

What is this magic soundcard of yours? I have an Audigy2 ZS, and while it's fine for gaming, it doesn't sound as good as my CD players.

And no matter what kind of sound card you have, it can pick up noise from the computer, so can the cables, and even your reciever after the signal has left the computer if it's too close.
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    What do I know, huh?

Next time you're in Bloomington you need to make the hour or so trip over to New Castle so I can show you what a nice "affordable" 2-channel system can sound like. You don't have to spend multi-thousands to get "THERE", either. I bought most of my gear right here. I've put together a pretty nice sounding system (well actually 2 or 3 :p ) piece by piece. I'm pretty proud of the way it's turning out. Still a couple of odds and ends to add, but as it sits it's pretty damn good.
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited September 2005
    Ever heard of variable bitrate? Same quality as a .wav file. What are .wav files? Why, they are the files that are found on a cd.
    it's funny how some people try to hide their ignorance, and some just wear it right out there on their sleve...
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    edited September 2005
    Markymark- you're insane. variable bitrate isn't even close to CD quality.

He probably can't tell the difference, after all, he thinks the Acculab's sound just like the Polk's. :rolleyes:
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    The only way you can tell the difference between the variable bitrate (the best sounding of the mp3's) and the .cda files is if you turn it WAAAAY up and try to pick the high and lows that are compressed.
    Variable bitrate only compresses when the sound is not present, hence the variable aspect of it. When there is music playing, it does NOT compress the sound you hear, only the silence. I can go from 0kbps to 320kbps+

I have a Soundblaster Audigy. If your computer has a "humming" in the line, try some higher quality cables going from your computer to reciever. Oxygen free cables will be your friends. This is something I know about because I record with my computer.

If you are telling me that the reciever picks up fuzz then that kinda destroys your "cd player is better" aspect because you run the cd player through your reciever, do you not? If your's picks up interference check the ground on the outlet or something because it shouldn't be doing that.

listen guys, I've put up with your "you don't know anything... your speakers suck" talk for a while, now it's time for it to end.
    Would someone PLEASE come listen to them and compare them to the polks so you all shut your mouths? You can't tell me they sound worse WHEN YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THEM. Geeze... the tenacity of some people...
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    I've never once said anything about anything in your system, except about the source. All I've done was offer up a way to get a nice 2-channel/pro-logic rig, but I see that you already have a HK AVR235, nice receiver. So now all you need is my Monitor 10As. At $145, there aren't very many, if any at all, speakers that can touch their sound, except for maybe Monitor 7As, and then that's a matter of taste. Some like the extra bass of the 10s, but I like the imaging of the 7As better and they aren't lacking in bass.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    BTW, it's either variable bitrate or .wav files for me. I don't listen to anything below that because the compression is too much.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Stick with vinyl. No compression of any sort. :D

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    I've never once said anything about anything in your system, except about the source. All I've done was offer up a way to get a nice 2-channel/pro-logic rig, but I see that you already have a HK AVR235, nice receiver. So now all you need is my Monitor 10As. At $145, there aren't very many, if any at all, speakers that can touch their sound, except for maybe Monitor 7As, and then that's a matter of taste. Some like the extra bass of the 10s, but I like the imaging of the 7As better and they aren't lacking in bass.
    I'm not arguing with you... I'm just sick of these people telling me that their beloved polks are soooo much better than my speakers when they have nothing on which to base their ignorant proclamations.
    I would prefer something that is completely flat (again, flat for recording is the best... not the mention the fact that I can't tolerate any boosted levels).
    I really do want to get out there sometime and listen to those speakers.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    TroyD wrote:
    Stick with vinyl. No compression of any sort. :D

BDT
    I have around 100 vinyls but I don't have a player for them :(
    I've been meaning to get a new/better one but I don't have the cash. I have some of the Eagles albums that I really want to listen to but I need to get that darn player.
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    I understand the NO BOOST thing. I have no tone or balance controls. Different tubes for different music.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Very few really flat speakers out there, actually and Polk is just one of a myriad of great speakers out there.

There are a LOT of great speakers out there, the trick is to get out and listen to them. See, what you lack (and this is not a criticism, just a statement of fact) is a knowledge (or more precisely experience) about audio in regards to gear. Many of us, have a good bit of knowledge.

Again, I've heard enough to know that compressed audio is, by nature, an inferior item. It's not a knock, it's a fact. Now, I listen to .mp3 and what have you and for most applications, it's fine. However, when I want to really enjoy my music, I prefer a better quality recording.

D&M Sounds ring a bell? According to the B&W website, they are a dealer in Columbia. Trek on down there and see if you can't listen to some decent, well set up hifi rigs.

BDT
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    I have around 100 vinyls but I don't have a player for them :(
    I've been meaning to get a new/better one but I don't have the cash. I have some of the Eagles albums that I really want to listen to but I need to get that darn player.

Save your pennies. Turntables are one thing that I almost flat refuse to buy used. While you are at it, save for a record cleaning machine (if you happen to have a shop that sells used LP's sometimes they will clean them for a fee) because unless the vinyl is clean, it's a waste of time. A new, decent entry level table can be had for around 300.

BDT
  • KentVaughn
    KentVaughn Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    Weighing the pros and cons of a computer as a source, I much prefer the ease of picking different music from the computer compared to switching CDs. As for vinyl, most of the music I listen to is not available on vinyl.

As far as mp3s go, I tried a couple of songs, and silence, and the only extra noise present was also there when no music was playing, and I could only barely hear that when I turned my AVR335 up almost the whole way.

I might be wrong, but I think there will always be connection noise. That's just the price I pay for being able to listen to whatever I want instantly, and while I'm working (or posting on here, which I seem to be spending a lot of time doing... ;) )
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    D&M sounds: downtown, about 3 blocks from my apartment. It's a DJ store from what I understand. I didn't realize they sold home audio as well. I am going to go check them out this weekend.

We have a shop here in Columbia (Slackers) that sells vinyls so I'll go see if they can clean them, if not, I'll see if there is shop where my parents live up in Iowa.

Thanks for the info.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,313
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    I'm not arguing with you... I'm just sick of these people telling me that their beloved polks are soooo much better than my speakers when they have nothing on which to base their ignorant proclamations.

You can't pay for entertainment this good!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited September 2005
    There are alot of other kids around here who have crammed a nice system into a small space while still sticking to a budget. Trey and I have been here for a long **** time. I used to have some ugly **** Yamaha speakers and he had Rt35i's. It isn't always easy, but it can definitely be done. You can get a DVD player with MP3 capability for about $25 now. Don't you think that would be alittle easier then having your stereo right next to your computer?

You aren't going to hear a difference between high bitrate mp3s, .wav, or the original .cda files because your system isn't good enough to show you the difference. Your system is the limiting factor there. Those file types are definitely not the same. MP3's suck. They are convienient but they aren't as good as .wav or .cda. If you are sticking with that system though, you won't be able to tell the difference anyway so who cares.

Good luck on your audio journey.
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited September 2005
    I too use my computer as a source because I do like having 2000+ songs at random. I only do this when I am busy doing something like homework and don't want any distractions of having to switch discs or just for some background music with a lot of variety. When I sit down and just listen to my rig even my cheapo, half broken toshiba dvd player outperforms my computer on so many levels. Albeit I don't really have a nice soundcard, the difference is because computers are quite dirty sources. The more simple and less path for the signal to travel the better. Computers are far from simple and have so many extra items to throw interference into the signal.

Btw I use mp3's ripped at 320kbps and they don't sound too bad at low volume but at moderate to high volumes them coming from my computer and being a compressed format they sound quite bad compared to a redbook cd in a dedicated player.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited September 2005
    Jesse is right, this is great stuff...
    The only way you can tell the difference between the variable bitrate (the best sounding of the mp3's) and the .cda files is if you turn it WAAAAY up and try to pick the high and lows that are compressed.
    if you have to turn it up that loud to hear the difference, then you need to either get some new gear or some new ears.
    Variable bitrate only compresses when the sound is not present, hence the variable aspect of it. When there is music playing, it does NOT compress the sound you hear, only the silence. I can go from 0kbps to 320kbps+
    I'll be honest and say that I can't tell you how it is supposed to work. What I can tell you, is that in reality (real world application) it all sounds compressed - and I can hear that even only on a decent system. Someone like Jesse who knows this stuff much better than I can probably explain why compressing even only the silent parts doesn't work, but in my mind it's pretty obvious - you just can't do that well enough to not impact the rest of the music.
    I have a Soundblaster Audigy.
    That is an okay card for games and watching movies and everyday listening, but for serious music reproduction...forget it. I've the TOTL Audigy 2 and even it's only OK for music.
    If your computer has a "humming" in the line, try some higher quality cables going from your computer to reciever. Oxygen free cables will be your friends. This is something I know about because I record with my computer.
    Please, OFC is soooooooo yesterday's news :D. Lemme guess, you got Monster Cables? Or something else?
    If you are telling me that the reciever picks up fuzz then that kinda destroys your "cd player is better" aspect because you run the cd player through your reciever, do you not? If your's picks up interference check the ground on the outlet or something because it shouldn't be doing that.
    I assume you're addressing Zero with that remark, so I'll let him respond if he wants to. I'll address it briefly - there's a lot of other stuff in your computer. All those other components do introduce noise into the path, some of which is audible. Again, if you can't hear it, get some new gear or some new ears?
    listen guys, I've put up with your "you don't know anything... your speakers suck" talk for a while, now it's time for it to end.
    Would someone PLEASE come listen to them and compare them to the polks so you all shut your mouths? You can't tell me they sound worse WHEN YOU HAVE NEVER HEARD THEM. Geeze... the tenacity of some people
    You're being treated like a know-it-all because you're acting like one, simple as that. You come on here asking us what we think of your speakers, we tell you we think they suck, then you get all pissy and start whining about how we're picking on you. Then you ask questions like:
    Should I leave the passive-resonator or should put an active speaker in there?
    say you were joking or whatever you want - you and I both know you were dead serious when you asked that. Then you make statements like
    the only reason I know the mid is blown is when I REALLY turn them up. I can hear a slight crackle. At low to mid volumes, you can't tell (seems weird... but that is the way it is).
    The only reason my big speakers aren't where they should be is because I ran out of cable. hahah
    shut up
    I've heard Polks, I've heard these. They are close in comparison. Comprehend? Or do I need to S-P-E-L-L it out for you?
    Ok, it's a Magnavox MX751 pro.
    What is the rms and all that good stuff?
    This is where I will emphatically put my foot down. I have NO static from my computer. My machine is to computers as your beloved highest-quality Polks are to speakers.
    All those are ridiculous statements, when taken in context.

Listen, all of us (or at least most of us) were where you're at now at one point. I was when I joined here, almost two years ago. The difference is that I and many others like me showed a bit more humility when we first joined. I didn't try to educate the group on OFC because I assumed they already knew about it. I realiezed quick that there is nothing I can say that these guys didn't already know. This is an AUDIO board, not a fishing and hunting forum with a few guys who like audio. Stick around, show a little humulity and respect, learn a little, and you'll telling someone else the same thing I'm telling you now later down the road.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    Bravo PM, Bravo....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Tritonman
    Tritonman Posts: 159
    edited September 2005
    This is a bootcamp thread for newcomers. I feel for you man. You picked one helluva way to make an entrance to the Polk Forums.

Either way...

Save your money. Purchase a nice set of speakers/equipment etc. Dont buy cheap stuff to get you by. All the money you would be spending on cheap stuff etc could be put towards a nice setup.

And take peoples advice in here. We have been in the business/field for many years and a lot of us know our stuff. There have been times with someone knowledgeable they have been wrong..the difference is..he/she is willing to accept it and bow down gracefully with their reputation still intact.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    The only real issue I have is that people keep telling me to throw my speakers away... I'm not doing that. You say the speakers are junk and sound like crap, I tell you they are not. Is that hard to understand? I'm not trying to be cocky. The computer issue here is something of which I know a very decent amount. The Audigy is just a stepping stone until I get the money to afford an M-Audio Delta (recording purposes).
    My brother (who is working on a degree in recording arts) uses these speakers as well. They are more accurate than most studio headphones he has heard (open and closed back); they are very similar to high-end studio monitors, hence the reason we use them to record. I have a pair of open backed studio headphones and I prefer doing the editing with the speakers.

Now, all that aside; I am here to learn, I would not have shown if I did not believe this.
    I know most of my equipment is junk... My reciever is old and decrepid, I know that.

Obviously I'm stubborn and not moving from my "I like my speakers" platform so why don't you all just give up? You've stated your opinion, I've stated mine. I don't completely accept yours, you don't accept mine. Life is still being lived, so get on with your own life and stop worrying about me. Just because I don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean I don't respect it.

By the way, I use my computer because I have over 60gigs of music (over 11,000 songs). It's a bit more convenient than trying to swap cd's in and out of a cd changer.
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    I think what most are not getting is that you really don't care about true "Hi-Fidelity" reproduction. That's what 90% of us at Club Polk are VERY passionate about. For your purposes and needs, the puter and Acculabs will suffice, but if you really want to have a nice reference set up to do some serious critical listening with, listen to us and we will not steer you in the wrong direction. My offer to you was just a way for you to get a start in the right direction without spending big bucks.

Wow, I just noticed that this thread is friggin HUGE. 8 pages with the way I have my settings set.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    Sorry about the ramblings, but I'm a bit stressed writing more damned specs. BTW, I like the attitude, it's entertaining. However it might keep you from learning something.

Has either you or your brother heard a great 2-channel setup? I mean you said "more accurate"... Than what? Based on the front nameplate alone, this isn't the case. If they blow your skirt up, great, but maybe you ought to be more open minded:

My brother completed his work on that exact degree and one in music theory and has been working in LA in recording studios, both in front of and behind the mic, and released some CD's with him supporting other artists (he's a guitarist by specialty) and been doing so for the past two or three years... He has stated on several occasions that my setup sounds substantially better than any studio he's worked in and I'm helping him get his recording setup improved on a limited budget. Maybe someone else here could help you do the same- Even if all you do is fix the speakers, you should notice a sizable improvement in sound, if not, you might need to get your hearing check.

BTW, are you recording off of the speakers? I sincerely hope not... If you are using them for channel mixing, than any pair will do. Quality of recording and noise floor? Use headphones.

I guess the point is that regardless of how much you THINK you know, you will never know as much as the collective intelligence as wisdom you can find here and other sights.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    For some further edification:
    http://www.soundstageav.com/speakermeasurements.html

Check the ascend and paradigms
  • Holydoc
    Holydoc Posts: 1,048
    edited September 2005
    Markymark,

Since your questions and discussions are not really directed towards Polk Speakers or Polk products, you may wish to direct them towards users who have similar issues or opinions. I would recommend posting such questions in forums like:

http://www.avsforum.com/

So that you will not get "biased" or "Polk related" advice. You may actually find someone there that will support your opinion.

It just appears that this discussion has come full circle with no compromises in sight.
    Holydoc (Home Theatre Lover)
    Outlaw -770 (7x200watt) Amplifier
    PolkAudio - RTi12 (Left and Right)
    PolkAudio - CSi5 (Center)
    PolkAudio - FXi3 (Back and Surround)
    SVS - PB-12/Plus (Subwoofer)
    Bluejean Cables - Interconnects
    Logitech Harmony 880 - Remote
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2005
    All righty then! I think everyone has clearly stated their opinion, and everyone understands where everyone else is coming from.

Markymark, by all means hang on to your speakers for right now since that is all you can afford right now, but start saving your pennies!

Take a ride out to Noel's even bring your speakers with you & do a side by side comparison of yours vs his. That is the only way you will be able to clearly hear a difference.

When you have some spare cash, start picking up better equipment to use.

Good luck on your audio journey.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
This discussion has been closed.