Acculab 550--anyone know about these?

Comments

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    Holy great balls of heck, that is one effed up setup (gallery). I realize you don't have a lot of room, but that's reeeediculous. Since that's a dorm room (I hope) go check out some of the findings VRMXSTYLERQJAPNEANVEIQAKPJ13654872 has found for setting up a big speaker rig in a small room with beds, desks, etc....
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    A couple other things jump out just looking at that speaker.

One, if the FR response graph on the front is correct.....that big hump just before the FR plummets, that's NOT good. What that is designed to do is give you the impression that there is more bass there than really is. Sorta like hitting the bass boost button.

Two, crossover at 10Khz....I'm assuming it's to the piezo. That's all SORTS of bad. A piezo is a super tweeter and as bad as my hearing is, 10K is WELL within the audible range.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    C'mon, Jesse, I was DEPENDING on you.....

I screwed up, I trusted F1 and he lied to me.

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,313
    edited September 2005
    Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    edited September 2005
    "Best 2-Channel Ever" :eek:

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    Nice box of spunk rags on top of the left speaker.

These guys wouldn't know good sound if it fell out of the sky and clobbered them.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,497
    edited September 2005
    If those speakers would compare to anything made by Polk, it is setup wrong.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    You had to post the pic... Great, now we need to plan Dan's funeral. You know he'll have a heart attack with the speakers out of place and wires everywhere.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2005
    RuSsMaN wrote:
    Nice box of spunk rags on top of the left speaker.

LMAO!!! :eek:
  • KentVaughn
    KentVaughn Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    I have limited room, and that's the best place for the speakers. I wish I could have a massive room devoted to music listening like some of you do, but unfortunatly that's not an option for me.

Maybe in the future, unexperienced listeners (I admit I am one) could be encouraged and given advice on what and how to correct problems, instead of everyone being dicks about it.
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Well for starters...

Get smaller speakers...

Those towers and most all towers are not designed to be 1-1.5 feet away from you ever. Much less have them basically firing at each other...

You need to be about 7 feet from each speaker...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    KentVaughn wrote:
    Maybe in the future, unexperienced listeners (I admit I am one) could be encouraged and given advice on what and how to correct problems, instead of everyone being dicks about it.

Yeah, but you're a 'rockstar' dude. :rolleyes:
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • KentVaughn
    edited September 2005
    Even rockstars can be idiots now and then.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Look, no one is calling you an idiot......however, before making presumptious claims, get your ducks in a row.

The forum is a wealth of information as is the Polk Library. Lots of good info there. Stick around, learn, post, etc....that's what the forum is for.

However, if you have a half **** setup and claim it to be stereo heaven or what have you, you open yourself for a lot of scoffing.

As far as a small room, my stereo room is 12x12. Not exactly HUGE. Talk to Sid, he's made the most of his small room. You can too, without using your speakers as large headphones.

BDT
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    My room actually was designed by Airplay in the grand scheme...

I can't take any of the credit by far...

But all I can say is, it depends on how much you want to sacrifice to get good sound...

Me? I sacrificed my bed, dressers, basic* bedroom furniture and turned it into a small, no kidding - living room. I sleep on my futon/couch.

But it was well worth it --

Heres what I did in my small room...
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    Small room is no excuse. Sid's final solution might not work for you, but some of his intermediate setups might. Bring it up with him. Addionally, I know both Russman and I have our reference rigs in rooms as small or smaller than yours. Granted you have to live/sleep/study (i mean drink) in the same room.

My "helpfull, non-dickish" advice: Clear one side of the room if possible That desk might be able to stay. Get the speaks further apart and flatten them out. If you keep the desk there, put the front edge of the speakers in front of or even with the desk. This should be your starting point. A little toe-in may be neccessary because of the small room, but not as much as the picture.

If it were me, and my roomie was OK with it, I would put my setup against which ever wall is closest to the door and they are the only items against the wall (maybe a TV). My desk would be on the opposite wall, beds on the wall closest the door if it doesn't block a closet. The dresser or whatever would be on the remaining wall. The 10's would be 6' apart, 1' from the wall or even with the front of the TV (Whichever is further). That's where I would start.... That is without changing speakers to say an RTi4 and an SVS combo... But that's a different story...
  • VR3
    edited September 2005
    Ah... here are some of my side steps to the final setup for a reference of what they are talking about...

In this setup... I had them in a corner opposite of where I sat... (tons of bass in this setup, just scary amounts)...

I had the surrounds mounted up above me and my desk in the room with me, which is now in my closet...

This is the only alternative I could think up... with the doors and such in my room - my placement is fairly limited.

Also, I have mined toed in like I do because they were designed for toe in and tilting up... otherwise, your speakers may vary.
  • KentVaughn
    edited September 2005
    I'll try to figure something like that out. I have an 8' marimba and 7'x10' of drumset to fit into the space as well. I actually have quite a large room, so I can probably get it arranged satisfactorily. Thanks for the advice.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    WTF? Am I on crack or did someone say 12'x12'? Those drugs the doc gave me must kick ****!!!

The drum kit is going to eff up your sound regardless. Lots of round, rigid shapes that happen to resonate at the same frequencies as recorded music... If you want to get your learn on, you could start a "help me with my room, it sucks" thread with some room dimensions and crap you must have in there. Room and placement have a huge affect on the quality of sound you hear. You could take a top quality B&W (or whatever) setup and make is sound worse than a bose setup just with placement in the same room
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited September 2005
    Kent, where do you go to school?
  • KentVaughn
    edited September 2005
    I'm a sophomore at the University of Missouri.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    Studying? (We must taunt all newbies....)

But just to get their post count up... :D
  • KentVaughn
    edited September 2005
    I'm all about taunting newbies... I just didn't realize I was that much of one!
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005
    Believe me Kent, if Sid can do it, so can you. Damn Sid, you've come along way....looks great.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited September 2005
    Thanks Jesse...

It took a long time for me to get this far... you guys got me here though... thanks alot!
  • Markymark
    Markymark Posts: 111
    edited September 2005
    Someone mentioned me being in a dorm room or something? No... I live in a townhouse with KentVaughn and another roomate. My room is twice as big as any dorm room and Kent's is twice as big as mine.

We are both Soph's at the University of Missouri--Columbia.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Cool, than there is no reason not to have your speakers properly set up.

BDT
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    TroyD wrote:
    If you want to fix them, cool. Replace the surround and, as jdhiggs pointed out, replace the mids in BOTH speakers (you'll want both sides to match). A good place to look for replacements is Parts Express. I would then urge you to take a look around the forums, learn a little about audio, especially in regards to setup and so forth.....let all this new knowledge ferment in your brain bucket awhile....THEN, maybe, we will have an honest discussion on the merits of your Acculab speaks.
    I already knew that I have to replace both of them, that is just kind of a given... Thanks for the information. What would you recommend as replacements?
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    I already knew that I have to replace both of them, that is just kind of a given... Thanks for the information. What would you recommend as replacements?

Well, you asked if you should replace the PR with an active driver so we can't really assume much in the way of knowledge, can we?

First, I wouldn't replace them. I'd shitcan those things in a heartbeat.

However, since I don't know anything about them, I'd probably call parts express, explain what you have and see what they suggest.

BDT
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    The only reason my big speakers aren't where they should be is because I ran out of cable. hahah
    I think Kent has some that I can use though. I have my second pair of speakers (smaller, bookshelf speakers) set up in the right place.
This discussion has been closed.