• PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2005
    C'mon C'mon! Feel it Feel it!!!!
  • Markymark
    Markymark Posts: 111
    edited September 2005
    feels flacid...

Oh... wait... what are you talking about?
    :D
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    You are learning quick young grasshopper, just don't hide the **** in the speakers!
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    MM,

I'm not actively trying to sell the 10s, so just let me know when you're coming through.
    I actually live in New Castle(about 15 miles south of Muncie/40 east of Indy). For $200 I'll even throw in a decent older Optimist(read Pioneer) Pro Series receiver rated @ 135wpc, with Dolby Pro-Logic. I'm sure that it would blow the Magnovox away. I bought it new and have the box and remote. That would definitely get you "ON YOUR WAY" .
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    shut up

have fun, I'm looking forward to meeting you. Tell you what, I'll even make it EASIER for you, I'll go ahead and put astro-glide on the speakers.

You don't give up do you? You have NO idea how they sound. You can't bash soomething that you've never heard. I've heard Polks, I've heard these. They are close in comparison. Comprehend? Or do I need to S-P-E-L-L it out for you?

p.s. I really do like how you've resorted to name calling... how mature :rolleyes:

Newcomers have to go through the gauntlet. It's like becoming a Marine. If you make it through you'll become one of the few, one of the proud, a Polkster :cool: Hang in there bro....you're doing fine so far!
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • sda2mike
    sda2mike Posts: 3,131
    edited September 2005
    yo markymark! what nd13 is offering is a killer package! one that you COULD brag about endlessly with full credibility! we understand $$$ issues, though...just whittle down that chip on yer shoulder! i'm sure yer a nice guy, otherwise! ;)
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2005
    Donny-D's on the backup,
    I'm drug free,
    so put the crack up!
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    sda2mike wrote:
    what nd13 is offering is a killer package!

Ummm, YIKES! :eek:
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • sda2mike
    edited September 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Ummm, YIKES! :eek:

OK! i should clarify by saying, "compared to what you are currently running"...thank you very nice :D
  • KentVaughn
    KentVaughn Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    I'd love to come hear some other speakers. Our best listening environment in town is the local Circuit City, and all they have is mid/low end Polk, Infinity, and Bose.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    How far are you from St Louis?

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    sda2mike wrote:
    OK! i should clarify by saying, "compared to what you are currently running"...thank you very nice :D

Correct. It's not the best, but it's FAR from bad. A nice little 2-channel starter rig. Similar to what Dave and I set Bill up with at Doro's. The HK was a nicer receiver that a given, but at least with the OPT, he has the option of Pro logic, if he ever wanted to go that way. Hell for another $30 I'll even throw in an entry center and rears(JBL) NIB, opened but never used. They won't be voice matched, but they'll do in a pinch. :D

So, there you have it. For $230, they can have a decent starter 2-channel rig, with the option of Dolby pro-logic surround sound. Just add source and sub(another $150-200 max for used).
  • KentVaughn
    edited September 2005
    Just a couple hours, in Columbia.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    What is in St. Louis? Yeah we are only 2 hours (depending on where in St. Louis we are going... 90 minutes even).
  • sda2mike
    edited September 2005
    dudes...scrape up the cheese for what nd13 is offering! before he wakes up! ;)
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Last time I was there, I visited a cool hifi shop and a REALLY cool LP shop.

I'll have to think of the names.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    Do you remember where it was? The neighborhood or anything? If you can remember any roads around it I'm sure I can come up with some names.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    sda2mike wrote:
    dudes...scrape up the cheese for what nd13 is offering! before he wakes up! ;)
    I am awaiting a loan... I'm hoping it's accepted so I can get some money. If the loan goes through I'll see what I can do about it.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,313
    edited September 2005
    MAGNAV
    RCV, MX751PRO
    Description:
    Manufacture Years: 1998 - Current
    Additional Information:
    Retail
    MSRP: $400.00
    USED: $0.01
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,497
    edited September 2005
    is that... one cent?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    hahaha
    Can't expect everything to hold value.

What is the rms and all that good stuff?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited September 2005
    Onion doesn't list all the specs, only the prices...
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    roger that.

I was unable to find the specs with google... I'll see if I can't find my owner's manual. I know it's around here somewhere.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited September 2005
    FYI - we don't use the term rms much over in the home audio world. We don't really differentiate between rms and peak power, as peak power doesn't mean squat anyway...

When you hear about power ratings, just assume we're always talking about continuous unless indicated otherwise...
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited September 2005
    My suggestion, since you have so little cash flow at the moment, would be to not put any more money into those speakers and just save and save until you can get something decent. The deal noel is offering you is pretty damn generous. I own a set of monitor 7's and really enjoy them.

btw I have a tiny room (8' wide by 13' deep with 8' ceilings) and after spending many hours moving my whole room around and trying different placements I have found a setup that I like. My room is absolutly packed with stuff but just mess around with things and eventually you'll find what you like. I usually try a new setup every couple months to see if I can improve.

As for wattage... in home audio usually what I look for is quality power. You can do amazing things with a couple watts. Most receivers are very overrated and claim lots of power but when you put them up against seperates or something decent like high end componnents the truth becomes very clear that the rated power is not what you are actually getting.

O and try your best to pick up a cd player or dvd player to replace your computer as a source. I have my computer hooked up to my 2 ch system as well as a cheapo dvd player (waiting on my nad cdp still) and the difference in sound quality between the two sources is amazing.
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    michael_w wrote:
    My suggestion, since you have so little cash flow at the moment, would be to not put any more money into those speakers and just save and save until you can get something decent. The deal noel is offering you is pretty damn generous. I own a set of monitor 7's and really enjoy them.

What can I say. I'm just trying to hook up a new member, so he/they can at least get an idea of what a nice vintage pair of Polks can do. :)
  • KentVaughn
    edited September 2005
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but with high quality files and a good sound card, I doubt I'd notice a difference.

Between CD player and computer I mean.
  • ND13
    edited September 2005
    Computers are lousy,noisy sources, period.

Oh and I've got my Monitor 7As hooked up to my ASL AV20 monoblocks(tubes)and you'll have to kill me to get those out of my rig :p:D
    One more thing, the ASLs are only 20 watts each. I probably have only had about 10 of those watts going thru them and they freakin rock and do so cleanly and effortlessly.
  • KentVaughn
    edited September 2005
    I like being able to instantly switch bands and songs without messing with CD's. Besides, my CD player has been claimed for the living room :(
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    edited September 2005
    If you rip your CD's to your hard drive, and use a virtual CD player (I like Alcohol 120%), you can use the digital out from the sound card to the reciever, letting the recievers DAC handle it, that might sound okay.

If your playing MP3's, forget it. The sound quality of MP3's is crap.
This discussion has been closed.