Acculab 550--anyone know about these?

Markymark
Markymark Posts: 111
edited October 2005 in Speakers
I picked up these speakers from the parents of my two good friends. They were sitting in storage and not being used.
The sound from these beasts is AMAZING, probably the MOST accurate sound I've ever heard from a single cab setup.

Here are some pictures, I am just wanting to know anything about them that you all might know.

acculab1.jpg
acculab2.jpg
acculab3.jpg
Post edited by Markymark on

Comments

• Ron Temple
    Ron Temple Posts: 3,212
    edited September 2005
    No attachments...

Combo rig:

Onkyo NR1007 pre-pro, Carver TFM 45(fronts), Carver TFM 35 (surrounds)
    SDA 1C, CS400i, SDA 2B
    PB13Ultra RO
    BW Silvers
    Oppo BDP-83SE
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    Ron Temple wrote:
    No attachments...
    I don't need to add an attachment. I am using the img tags and linking from my webpage.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh
    the webpage is down... it's hosted by my univeristy and aparently they are doing some work on it... it'll be back, be patient.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    ooooooooooooooooooooooooooh
    the webpage is down... it's hosted by my univeristy and aparently they are doing some work on it... it'll be back, be patient.

I hope that I can hold my breath that long!!

DDtTTS
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    hahah
    I have no idea how long it'll be down. I'll try attaching an image.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    If you dig them, that's all that matters.....looks like you might have a surround issue in the second picture.

BDT
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    I do... it happend during my move. I haven't gotten in there to replace it yet.
    Should I leave the passive-resonator or should put an active speaker in there?

Oh, and my brother blew one of the mids... what do you think would make a good replacement. I'm sure It'll be hard to match the sound and output.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Passive radiators aren't meant to be replaced with an active driver...so without surgery to the crossover, I wouldn't mess with it.

Two, you got a blown mid and yet
    The sound from these beasts is AMAZING, probably the MOST accurate sound I've ever heard

I think you need to get out and listen to some other speakers.

BDT
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,313
    edited September 2005
    Kabuki
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Markymark
    edited September 2005
    TroyD wrote:
    I think you need to get out and listen to some other speakers.
    I have... I don't just claim random things... I research.

They sound almost identical as my roomates Polk cabinet. RTi10 maybe?

Does anyone know anything about these speakers. I have not heard of Acculab prior to me getting these, I have no idea how old they are or anything.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    F1nut wrote:
    Kabuki
    I'm glad you feel that way.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005
    They are not even listed in the Bluebook, 'nuff said!

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Again, if you like them, cool....but they were/are cheapie speakers.

Not to mention, they are broke.

Now, if you are trying to tell me that a broken, early 80's kabuki speaker sounds as good as a not broken, competently designed speaker, well, you aren't going to be taken very seriously.

BDT
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005
    Well, I've had all I can take.......later.

BTW, Markymark...welcome to the forum, I hope you enjoy your stay and get your learn on.

President of Club Polk

• Markymark
    edited September 2005
    the only reason I know the mid is blown is when I REALLY turn them up. I can hear a slight crackle. At low to mid volumes, you can't tell (seems weird... but that is the way it is).

So I'm guessing that you two don't know anything about them either. Except for the fact that you think they are "junk"?
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Well, I never owned or even rode in a Yugo either but if I had to make an educated guess on quality....

Again, if YOU like them, that's all that matters. Orion doesn't even LIST them and looking at them they look like a lot of early-mid 80's cheap speakers a la Monkey Ward, Sears and other department stores so it's not a huge stretch to make such an assumption. That's even before addressing the fact that they are broken.

BDT
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    ok... so my point still stands, you don't know anything about them.

They do sound awesome, there is no denying that. I'm not questioning whether they are "kabuki" or not. I am just wanting to know if anyone knows anything about the company that made them... just something to give me peace of mind.
  • TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Hey, you are the guy that does all the research..........what the hell would I know?

BDT
  • KentVaughn
    KentVaughn Posts: 58
    edited September 2005
    I'm Mark's roomate, and we've had my Polk RTi10's and these Acculabs side by side, same receiver, and he's not lying, they sound great. Cheap, broke, whatever. If they can sit next to a $500 speaker and match it, I'd say they're good speakers.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    TroyD wrote:
    Hey, you are the guy that does all the research..........what the hell would I know?

BDT
    whooo hooo hooo
    done being a smartass?

I wasn't exactly into home audio in the 80's. I was more into pulling little girls hair and riding my bike. So I figured I would come here and see if anyone, who is older than I, remembers anything about them. I can do all the research in the world, but I need help from someone older...
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited September 2005
    Hello Markymark & Kent. Welcome to Club Polk. I think it's fair to say that if someone knew anything about your speakers, I think they would have spoken up by now. Most people here do try to be helpful.

You might want to check out some of the other audio forums to see if you can get info on your speakers.

If you do, please let us know what you discover!

Have a good one.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    Try AudioKarma.org. A lot of those guys seem to love stuff like this...

Edit:
    I've heard acculab before somewhere now that I've seen your pics. The fact that I don't recall if they sound good or not lead me to assuming they were nothing overly "special". That said, buy the right driver to replace the blown one and if they blow your skirt up then bully for you.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    Awesome, thanks guys. I'll check out Audiokarma.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    Good luck finding replacements. If you can not find the exact model, replace both mids. Also, you may be clipping your amp from the sound of it. You may wish to look into seperates.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    So I'm guessing that you two don't know anything about them either. Except for the fact that you think they are "junk"?

I don't "think", I know.

President of Club Polk

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    Those are VERY large white van speakers. Burn them! Then go get your ears cleaned out, professionally.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited September 2005
    Done being a smartass? Never.

Look, if you google Acculab and don't get anything. Search a couple different audio forums, which I did last night and they aren't in Orion......if NOBODY is saying anything about them, wouldn't that sort of tell you something? I don't have to hear them to tell you that they are yard sale type speakers. I, and many others on this forum, have been listening to and buying many different types of speakers when you were pooping in your Pampers and rubbing it on the walls.

I've said that if you dig them, good on ya. However, if you ask if you should replace the PR with an active driver, it's got a busted mid and the surround on the PR is jacked up......and they still sound great, well, your credibility right of the bat is questionable.

Now, your roomie has chimed in and that's cool....but looking at his set up in the system showcase one thing is glaringly obvious....neither of you have a clue about what a properly set up stereophonic rig should sound like. Not that there is anything inherently 'wrong' with that, I've always said, if it's yours and you enjoy it, the opinion of others isn't important.

If you want to fix them, cool. Replace the surround and, as jdhiggs pointed out, replace the mids in BOTH speakers (you'll want both sides to match). A good place to look for replacements is Parts Express. I would then urge you to take a look around the forums, learn a little about audio, especially in regards to setup and so forth.....let all this new knowledge ferment in your brain bucket awhile....THEN, maybe, we will have an honest discussion on the merits of your Acculab speaks.

Sincerely, stick around and, as Jesse said, get your learn on.

BDT
  • F1nut
    edited September 2005
    I stand corrected, they are listed in the Bluebook under RTR. :rolleyes:

RTR
    SPK, ACCULAB 550
    Description:
    Manufacture Years: 1982 - 1991
    Additional Information:
    Retail
    MSRP: $640.00
    USED: $52.00
    Wholesale
    Mint: $30.00
    Average: $17.00

Can you imagine paying $640.00 for those??? Just proves there's a sucker born every miniute.

President of Club Polk

This discussion has been closed.