Acculab 550--anyone know about these?

Comments

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited September 2005
    Take a ride out to Noel's even bring your speakers with you & do a side by side comparison of yours vs his. That is the only way you will be able to clearly hear a difference.
    That's actually the best thing I've heard mentioned in this thread yet, of Noel's up for it...
  • Markymark
    Markymark Posts: 111
    edited September 2005
    Thanks for the help (directed towards everyone).
    I won't be able to take my speakers out to Noel's because I can't fit them in my car.
    I've always wanted something better than these acculabs but until I can afford something, I am going to keep using them and even when I do replace them, I am still going to use them but not as the primary pair.

By the way, one of the biggest reasons I use my computer for sound is because cd players can only play 16bit sound and not 24. I also listen to music beyond what winamp can play. I listen to music that is 96Khz @ 24 bit. a.k.a. DAT audio. No cd player can play these.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    That's actually the best thing I've heard mentioned in this thread yet, of Noel's up for it...
    I'll see what I can do, see if I can get them in my car to get them there.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    cd players are only 44.1khz @ 16 bit.
    I can hear a difference between a cd player and the true high-fidelity.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    You effing moron. Maybe you should go find an Acculab forum.

'The true hi fidelity'

Do you realize how STUPID you sound? Obviously not.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    edited September 2005
    The computer issue here is something of which I know a very decent amount.

Which explains why you thought MP3's were CD quality, and why you thought CD's had .wav files on them. :rolleyes:
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    . I listen to music that is 96Khz @ 24 bit. a.k.a. DAT audio. No cd player can play these.

I may be wrong, but my cd player has a 24 bit audio DAC built in and so does my DVD player. Doesn't that mean that it can play those???

9 pages and growing :rolleyes:
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited September 2005
    Why would you even BEGIN to debate / converse with this mouth breather?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    ND13 wrote:
    I may be wrong, but my cd player has a 24 bit audio DAC built in and so does my DVD player. Doesn't that mean that it can play those???

You kidding? Just ticked onto 17 pages w/ my settings. Maybe I should increase posts/page.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    WilliamM2 wrote:
    Which explains why you thought MP3's were CD quality, and why you thought CD's had .wav files on them. :rolleyes:
    when did I say mp3s were cd quality? Aparently someone is massively mis-reading... The computer analyzes the waveform with variable bitrate so barely anything is cut out of the actual sound. Very close to .wav (.cda) quality.
    ND13 wrote:

who said anything about a dvd player? We are talking about standard cd players reading 24 bit. wav (.cda) files can't be stored on CD's any higher than 16bit and stay at 1x. I'm sure a DVD player can read 24 bit but it's probably only spinning at 1.2x (or something like that).
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited September 2005
    Since most players people are using handle DVD's, your assumption on DAC's is asinine at best. Besides, there is NO WAY to generate a computer file BETTER than the source it was recorded from. Identical is theoretically possible, but hardly likely.

DAT's??? :rolleyes: If you are using these (as the orignal recordings) and then inputting them into your comp, then you MIGHT have something. Otherwise why even bring it up...

Don't make me go find my big book of DAC whoopass on ya!

How come I get a picture of the kid in Napolean Dynamite every time you respond.

Russ, it's a good mental break, it's hard to win debates with you, Jesse, and others so it's nice to get a break from the real debates.

Heh, only 6 pages on mine.
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited September 2005
    nadams wrote:
    You kidding? Just ticked onto 17 pages w/ my settings. Maybe I should increase posts/page.

I've only got a paltry 6 pages.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,497
    edited September 2005
    I am on 5 pages currently... :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ducttapeman
    ducttapeman Posts: 9
    edited September 2005
    Studio's have recorded on DAT (digital audio tape) since at least the 80's...which is 96khz. the DAC is a digital audio converter; which means it can convert audio at 24bit's in some cases; but, the standard is 16bit at 44.1 khz to maintain, as Mark was saying, 1x. It wouldn't hurt some of you "get your learn on" and read Sony's standard for audio cd's. CD audio fidelity is technically not high fidelity. A lot of people (studio people like me) would say high fidelity starts at 96khz and up to 192khz (DVD audio). The purists would argue since these are not true analog wave forms, just refreshing frequencies, that the late vinyls on the proper equipment is the true high fidelity. Any seasoned and researched sound enthusiast would know that.
  • nadams
    nadams Posts: 5,877
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    Ever heard of variable bitrate? Same quality as a .wav file. What are .wav files? Why, they are the files that are found on a cd.

I think this is where you said that MP3's are the same quality as CDs.
    Ludicrous gibs!
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    Studio's have recorded on DAT (digital audio tape) since at least the 80's...which is 96khz. the DAC is a digital audio converter; which means it can convert audio at 24bit's in some cases; but, the standard is 16bit at 44.1 khz to maintain, as Mark was saying, 1x. It wouldn't hurt some of you "get your learn on" and read Sony's standard for audio cd's. CD audio fidelity is technically not high fidelity. A lot of people (studio people like me) would say high fidelity starts at 96khz and up to 192khz (DVD audio). The purists would argue since these are not true analog wave forms, just refreshing frequencies, that the late vinyls on the proper equipment is the true high fidelity. Any seasoned and researched sound enthusiast would know that.

Hmm, yup, I guess I never learned anything spending years assisting the transfer and development of DAC technology from Burr-Brown to TI during the acquisition. I'll go read a website on standards for audio CD's. :rolleyes:

I can hardly wait for Chuck or Jesse to jump all over the high-fidelity comment with a resounding DUH!

Look Russ, he's recruiting them now! What studio are you with?
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,497
    edited September 2005
    Duct Tape Man and Butt Scratch Boy...

Sticking and Scratching...everywhere? your way in October 2005!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    Markymark wrote:
    cd players are only 44.1khz @ 16 bit.
    I can hear a difference between a cd player and the true high-fidelity.

This is too funny, you claim this but think the acculab speaks are the cat's ****.

You need to get out and listen to some good setups and turn down the volume. I fear you are losing your hearing and becoming a bit disoriented.
  • ducttapeman
    edited September 2005
    VBR on the right settings can come very close to CD audio. When using VBR (variable bitrate) the compute analyzes the wave form and compresses only silence; or nearly silence. Essentially you can get most of the audio in a CD up to I believe all the way up to 350kb/s; which I think converts to around 48khz.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    VBR on the right settings can come very close to CD audio. .

This I can get onboard with.
  • ducttapeman
    edited September 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Hmm, yup, I guess I never learned anything spending years assisting the transfer and development of DAC technology from Burr-Brown to TI during the acquisition. I'll go read a website on standards for audio CD's. :rolleyes:

I can hardly wait for Chuck or Jesse to jump all over the high-fidelity comment with a resounding DUH!

Look Russ, he's recruiting them now! What studio are you with?

Heh, I don't belong to a professional studio right now; I'm still in school at IU. I record mostly for my own benefit; however, that doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. I've spent some time talking and to and checking out the equipment of some older professional sound engineers. Not to mention anything I've said so far is information easily found online.

And I smell a lot of ethnocentricism from some of you; don't forget that in the world of audio, there is a lot of subjectivity. Be nice to my brother, Mark, he honestly just wants some help with his rig.
  • WilliamM2
    WilliamM2 Posts: 4,769
    edited September 2005
    when did I say mp3s were cd quality? Aparently someone is massively mis-reading... The computer analyzes the waveform with variable bitrate so barely anything is cut out of the actual sound. Very close to .wav (.cda) quality.

Apparently you are mis-reading your own posts:
    Ever heard of variable bitrate? Same quality as a .wav file. What are .wav files? Why, they are the files that are found on a cd.

So first you claim it's the same quality, now you claim it's very close. Which is it?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,724
    edited September 2005
    funny how this ducttapeman just showed up...wonder if his IP is similar to markymarc's
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    And I smell a lot of ethnocentricism from some of you; don't forget that in the world of audio, there is a lot of subjectivity. Be nice to my brother, Mark, he honestly just wants some help with his rig.

Nice $5 word, of course I have no idea what race you are so it seems a bit out of line. If you were trying to it inappropriately to say that the audio world into ethnicities, well, can't help you there. Perhaps elitism is more appropriate, no?

As for the second part of the comment, no he doesn't. He wanted to be applauded with his kick-**** system and universal approval.

You would find that if he wasn't so confrontational, no one would be back to him.

Good luck on your job hunt. If you move to LA, I could hook you up with some contacts.
  • jdhdiggs
    edited September 2005
    PM- Does it matter? They don't want "help", they want to be "right".

Most people still hanging around are just using this as a time sync, nothing more.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited September 2005
    I've not read any of this thread till now since the title didn't interest me. But I was bored at work on a Fri. afternoon and this was 5 pages (on my computer...more on other's I understand) and I thought "why not?".

This is funny stuff! The back and forth between folks who know stuff and folks who "think" they know stuff is always entertaining. This beats "Battle of the Network Reality Stars" all to hell! As far as that receiver goes....I have actually heard one of those. My secretary had one she was trying to set up. One step up from a clock radio. Too light for a boat anchor and too big for a door stop or paper weight. And the speakers probably ARE good for hiding ****....except our college boys are high tech and its all on the hard drive anyway.

Thanks for the laughs.................
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    This is too funny, you claim this but think the acculab speaks are the cat's ****.

You need to get out and listen to some good setups and turn down the volume. I fear you are losing your hearing and becoming a bit disoriented.
    hold up here dig-boy. I never claimed that these acculabs are the "cat's ****"... not even sure what you mean by that. I simply said that they sound nearly the same as my roomates' polks. I listen to my music a low volumes. Rarely EVERY do I turn it up. The only time I listen to lound music is in my car and I havn't even done that in a long time. I listen to music for quality, not quantity. My hearing is not going to go out any time soon... My car's engine is louder than the volume at which I listen to my music... I love assumptions, don't you?
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    shack wrote:
    except our college boys are high tech and its all on the hard drive anyway.
    wow... first post in here and you are already stereotyping? Boy... that's entertaining... Let's see... I'm going to school to be a doctor, not a drop-out flunky (which, if you think that is what college boys are, you went to the wrong school...). All the **** I could ever want (which is just about none--I'm not the gross "I want to bang every girl" type of guy) would be in my medical text-books... Very graphic pictures.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    Polkmaniac wrote:
    funny how this ducttapeman just showed up...wonder if his IP is similar to markymarc's
    wow... I'm sure it's not. Unless, by some freak accident, an IP in Indiana would be the same as my IP in Missouri.

*edit... just realized he is in Missouri visiting his girlfriend.
  • Markymark
    edited September 2005
    jdhdiggs wrote:
    Nice $5 word, of course I have no idea what race you are so it seems a bit out of line.
    Why the hell would that matter?
This discussion has been closed.