What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,787
    Options
    xsmi wrote: »
    en04ffdh14hr.jpeg
    Early Christmas gift to myself. I bought 25-30 used records last month that I’ve yet to listen to, because the first one I pulled out was really dirty. Found out that Project lowered the price on these by $250, so I pulled the trigger at my local dealer. VC-S2ALU.

Curious to hear what you think. I'm sure it works well, but is it "well worth" the discounted price, as the sale makes it much more tempting.

This is my first machine. However, I can say that there is less snap crackle pop.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • guyincognito
    Options
    @dromunds

The Rega tables don't have much in the way of adjustment. I have replaced the felt mat with a Teac washi paper mat that is slightly thinner but otherwise it's all Rega (table, cart, phonostage).

It sounds great and truthfully isn't loud at all. It's just the Benchmark pre and dac have zero noise. Pitch black background when streaming digital music. Now I notice the subtle background noise when the phono stage is on, even before I drop the needle. Has me thinking a upgraded phono stage might even the playing field again.
    Rega Planar 8, Apheta 3 MC , Aria mk2 Phono
    Aurender n100h, Benchmark DAC2 HGC
    Arcam SR250, Parasound JC5
    Revel F208, SVS SB-4000
  • skipshot12
    skipshot12 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    en04ffdh14hr.jpeg
    Early Christmas gift to myself. I bought 25-30 used records last month that I’ve yet to listen to, because the first one I pulled out was really dirty. Found out that Project lowered the price on these by $250, so I pulled the trigger at my local dealer. VC-S2ALU.

Curious to hear what you think. I'm sure it works well, but is it "well worth" the discounted price, as the sale makes it much more tempting.

This is my first machine. However, I can say that there is less snap crackle pop.

Excellent,
    I have an old VPI 16.5 and it does a great job at reducing the clicks, pops and vinyl rush.
    One thing I found was I needed one of those anti-stat guns before removing the lp from the RCM. Helps a shart ton...
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    It's just the Benchmark pre and dac have zero noise. Pitch black background when streaming digital music. Now I notice the subtle background noise when the phono stage is on, even before I drop the needle. Has me thinking a upgraded phono stage might even the playing field again.
    I have a Benchmark HPA4, and understand what you mean. Utilizing the XLR/balanced connections might help reduce noise, so consider a phono preamp with those outputs. I use a Musical Fidelity Nu-Vista Vinyl, and it is very quiet.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • zarrdoss
    zarrdoss Posts: 2,562
    Options
    I tried out a set of Martin Logan's and am asking myself why I did not try them sooner?
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,103
    Options
    zarrdoss wrote: »
    I tried out a set of Martin Logan's and am asking myself why I did not try them sooner?
    Just skip over them and go straight to Magnepan.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,348
    Options
    Wow...welcome back to the forum. Long time, no hear from!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • zarrdoss
    Options

Tom, Thanks for the welcome back.
  • zarrdoss
    Options

Meh, besides the more expensive models I never really cared for them.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options

Meh, besides the more expensive models I never really cared for them.

It’s kinda like comparing high sensitivity drivers to average/low-sensitivity drivers, or tubes vs. solid-state.

Completely different sonics.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options

I could be off but, with the Logan, you don't have to worry about integrating a subwoofer since the Logans have a woofer built in.
    I know both can be a bit difficult on setup and very sensitive to room acoustics and placement.

I have heard both Logans and Maggie's sound amazing and horrible, depending on the room and placement.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,054
    Options
    One of these here this coming week...

See how the ANK stacks up!

gg4aelxqmq05.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,052
    Options
    A New Years resolution: playing with these -- Altec 409 Duplexes (well, Altec does call 'em that! ;) ) in EV Coronet enclosures. Put them in the enclosures yesterday (replacing the EV Wolverine LS8 twincones that were in them).
    A short listen yesterday evening was pretty encouraging (believe it or not).

52605182456_f87f9c1ff6_b.jpg

52605801358_2b8dd558dd_b.jpg

• JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,480
    edited January 2023
    Options
    I'd expect descriptors like "aggressive", "not for the faint of heart", "claw-like" and "wild" w/the "Wolverine" name and badging. At the very least..."bada$$". Kind of underwhelmed w/...
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    pretty encouraging

LOL. Should be a fun project. Cheers to working on a New Year resolution. I'm busting and pouring cement in the basement.

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2023
    Options
    The Wolverines were "entry level" -- but I guess it's a Michigan thing. :)
    For what were bargain-priced drivers, they were beautifully made, with nice cast baskets and two-inch edgewound copper ribbon VCs. Very sensitive, with excellent midrange.

1nqnahqlvjg8.png

source: https://worldradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Allied-Catalogs/Allied-Catalog-1960.pdf

The image labeled "LS12" is an LS15, and vice versa. :p

• treitz3
    Options
    I take it you set them up with a low powered tube amp? SET?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I take it you set them up with a low powered tube amp? SET?

Tom

Well, not yet :p ATM, they're hooked to that dump find Yamaha RX-V1050 AVR that I tend to use sometimes.
    But, yeah, that's the plan. I have to make (or re-assign) some appropriate cables for 'em. B)

There are those who claim that the lowly (and still fairly inexpensive) Altec 409 possesses some of the
    legendary Altec 755 driver's strengths in a much, much cheaper package. :) I, unfortunately, don't have any 755 drivers :( -- but I do know some folks who do...

• stevep
    stevep Posts: 328
    Options
    Cool, Allied Radio pre-Radio Shack.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    One of these here this coming week...

See how the ANK stacks up!

gg4aelxqmq05.jpg

I'm curious about your take on the Lampi, I've had an Amber 3 for a few years now and still quite happy with it.

• treitz3
    Options
    Should be delivered today but don't know if he will hook it up today....

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Level 5, gen 4

Dac and separate power supply

svklqixq7pkh.jpg
    ey3jsnvgf8fs.jpg
    xd6zj8fgfa3p.jpg
    hvstabxeiihg.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    1y52m6oyg5y9.jpg
    h46zfchuxiel.jpg
  • VR3
    Options
    Time to fight!

lb7len8lticc.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Is that an ANK?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    Si senor
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    Si senor

what series?

• VR3
    Options
    5.1 pro
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    5.1 pro

If it has USB, I would love to get my ears on it...

• VR3
    Options
    The ank and lampizator both have usb, for sure

I would note however the ank uses a cheap 25 dollar usb to spidf card to convert that signal to apidf so using a 1.5 bnc cable is the best route for connection
  • treitz3
    Options
    That can be upgraded though, no?

Tom