What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Options

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    Options
    Well, call me crazy but I am so enamored with the Shunyata Ethernet cables?

I am already thinking of returning one of them and going straight up to the Omega Ethernet cable from the router to the Auralic Vega G2. I'm just itchin' to pull the trigger.

The sounds I am hearing as it stands? This is the best musical reproduction I have ever heard in my life. Bar none and I can say that in full confidence and without hesitation. From what I have read, the Omega is just insane. I think I might just need to find out just "how insane"... B)

I still can't figure out how a cable that offers no power or even a music signal can make such a significant and profound change to the end result as to what one hears.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Physical music is better
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3
    Options
    On a more realistic note because streaming is obviously superior to physical media....

3k for an ethernet cable is pretty wild, definitely look used
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    If you had asked me if I would have ever spent more than a hundred dollars on an Ethernet cable two months ago, I would have not even answered. I would have just laughed.

If you told me two months ago that I would one day be seriously considering a 3K Ethernet cable? I would have considered you 100 percent, certifiably bat **** crazy.

Had I not tried the cheap Cat8 Ethernet cable about a month or so ago? I wouldn't be hearing what I am hearing. I actually looked down at the table next to the listening position earlier today (twice) to see what was ringing. It was the music! Last night, I muted the system because I heard someone talking outside of the room. Once again, it was the music. Both tracks were familiar music to me. I had not ever heard that before and definitely not in those locations.

I have 2 pages of just "notes" to describe the changes to what I am hearing. This is SO MUCH FUN!!!!

Last night, when I hooked the new ones up? I listened for 3 hours straight. Then Kimmie listened for 2 and a half hours. She even came in at one point dancing. I have never seen her just walk into the room and bust a move.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Options
    After more listening tonight? I pulled the trigger. I don't feel like waiting for a used one to pop up.

Now as to which cable gets sent back? Time will tell. I only need two, so some experimenting is in order once the Omega comes in.

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    You need two right?

Modem to router, router to streamer? 🚀🚀
  • treitz3
    Options
    Yes. One of the two I have will go in the other location. The Venom does a great job between the modem and router but when the Omega comes in, I will try the Alpha in it's location. Not quite sure if upgrading that part of the equation would make that much of a difference. But, since I will have 3 cables in the house? Eh, I'll give it a whirl.

The last cable (from all of the research I have done), leading to the NAP is the one that makes the most amount of difference. That's where I currently have the Alpha.

The Omega is truly a state of the art piece. They went well beyond the typical metallugies and added technology I just got a taste of with the Alpha. I really like what I hear (obviously)

Tom
  • VR3
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Well don't forget upgraded DC cables for the linear power supply when the time comes
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Congrats man! I just about had a heart attack coughing up $182 for 28ft of DH Labs Silversonic 12awg wire to construct my 2 power cables I have planned! I haven't gotten to your level yet :)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • rebelsoul
    Options
    Here's a company that makes some great audiophile network switches and steamers
    Silent angel is the name
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 756
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Trying some speaker wires that the guy that has the Evolution Acoustics loudspeakers where I am working asked if I wanted to try out these speaker wires. They have a 14or 16 gauge cryo pure copper and a 14or 16 gauge cryo silver spun together for each the positive and negative and then therevuo155wkwwwl.jpg
    spun or twisted . His buddy makes them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Congrats man! I just about had a heart attack coughing up $182 for 28ft of DH Labs Silversonic 12awg wire to construct my 2 power cables I have planned! I haven't gotten to your level yet :)

I have not been disappointed with any if my DH Labs purchases. I rewired my 2.3tls with the 14ga silver over occ copper wire. Enough black and red to do both sides, it was a bear to work with but the outcome was FAB U lous.
  • VR3
    Options
    DH Labs is fantastic wire. I do always caution folks with permanently installing silver wired but with SDAs given their warmer presentation should be a good combo :-D

The Revelation and Air Matrix are fantastic ICs and the Q10/T14 is phenominal speaker wire.

I find their ready made speaker wire to be $$$ for some reason...
  • treitz3
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    In short, it seemed that the CAT8 cable was emphasizing all the negative aspects of streaming digital playback. I found the BJC CAT6A cable to be more balanced and refined...forgiving.

So, to answer your question from a couple of pages back? I don't think it was the "Cat" rating. It may have been that the connections were slightly better and that the cable was shielded. It turns out that both the Venom and Alpha Ethernet cables from Shunyata are Cat6A. They found that this cable has less noise/interference, amongst other things....which is why they chose Cat6A over any other cable.

So, what you heard, may be the result of what their lab confirmed. FWIW.

Tom

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    Options
    I installed these feet under my SVS sb16. It was quite an upgrade over the get you started feet that came with sub. Listening to Manheim Steamroller's Halleluiah and the bass was vibrating the reading glasses I was wearing. That's a first for me.
    wofpld0mzcb4.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

I have not been disappointed with any if my DH Labs purchases. I rewired my 2.3tls with the 14ga silver over occ copper wire. Enough black and red to do both sides, it was a bear to work with but the outcome was FAB U lous.

Thanks for confirmation Ivan. I'm pretty confident in the results because I am replicating a friend's creation already tested on my subwoofer a couple times with great results, only mine is going to be 12awg and his was 14awg. Same otherwise; Cardas male wall plug and Cardas IEC plug. I might twist mine more than he did to get lower inductance. He doesn't really know exactly how much he twisted his so not a lot I think. I may do something closer to 1 twist per inch like Chris Venhaus suggests now.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Swapped out the Chinese 12AX7's for these...not sure what brand they are. There's a 12 etched in the bottom between the pins and 4 creases in the top.
    4mhjvqwvg58p.jpg
    xzaojtned5ey.jpg
    muws910q1f92.jpg
    w7967yea91uo.jpg

SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    Silk Audio MS-90-BT integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
    SDA 2B TL's
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    How do they sound?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • michaeljhsda2
    Options
    Really good. Someone on Audiokarma said they were Amperex. Shame all the lettering is missing.
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • recoveryone
    Options
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Its' been over a year after the house remodel and finally getting this back in place
    https://youtu.be/dA5a4ls8ROk

Sound demo (headphones recommended)
    https://youtu.be/NSlpiGBpwlo
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • treitz3
    edited December 2022
    Options
    First video is private, bub...

[Edit:] of the second post...(fixed/repaired since then, all is well...)

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,170
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Swapped out the Chinese 12AX7's for these...not sure what brand they are. There's a 12 etched in the bottom between the pins and 4 creases in the top.

I figured it out. It's a Siemens & Halske, I62 ≠3 ...can't see the rest.

3zl5lt9gf7tn.jpg
    SDA SRS 2.3TL's
    SDA 2B TL's
  • newbie308
    Options
    This hobby sucks! Every time I upgrade a component, reveals deficiencies elsewhere! I recently upgraded the digital side of my system with an Oppo BDP103 disk player and a Musical Fidelity Tri-vista 21 DAC. A Wireworld Silver starlight digital RCA cable between and a Wireworld Oasis RCA 1 meter pair fromtheDAC to the preamp. It sounds so good that now it outperforms my vinyl playback SQ for clarity and imaging. Of course I can't leave the vinyl playback the way it is, so I started investigating phono preamplifiers in another thread. I also ordered two pair of Wireworld eclipse RCA interconnects so I have the same input cables for both sources. Yesterday I purchased a Kimber TAC tonearm cable to try since the current tonearm wiring is a temporary solution and I think it is sucking the life out of the music with its high capacitance. I will be researching MC cartridges in the new year, and eventually upgrade to a VPI signature prime turntable to get my vinyl playback on par with the current digital setup.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    I wouldn't be so quick to upgrade from the Technics table.
  • newbie308
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so quick to upgrade from the Technics table.

I don't intend to sell the Technics. I've invested a lot of time tweaking it with upgraded parts and modifications. It's kinda my own baby now.
    Sources: Technics SL1200MKII | SME3009 Tonearm | Monster Alpha 1 MC cartridge | Oppo UDP203 disk player | Nikko NT-790 analog tuner | Musical Fidelity Trivista 21 DAC | Preamp: Threshold SL-10 | Amplifier: Threshold Stasis 2 | Speakers: Snell Acoustics C/V | Kimber 12-TC bi wire speakers | Analysis plus Oval 1 preamp to amp | Wireworld Eclipse 7 DAC to Preamp | Wireworld eclipse digital IC Oppo to DAC | Audioquest Quartz tuner to preamp |
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Options
    Won an auction for a Denafrips Ares II today.

Decided it’s time to hear digital the way it all began, prior to delta-sigma chips.
    newbie308 wrote: »
    This hobby sucks! Every time I upgrade a component, reveals deficiencies elsewhere! I recently upgraded the digital side of my system with an Oppo BDP103 disk player and a Musical Fidelity Tri-vista 21 DAC. A Wireworld Silver starlight digital RCA cable between and a Wireworld Oasis RCA 1 meter pair fromtheDAC to the preamp. It sounds so good that now it outperforms my vinyl playback SQ for clarity and imaging. Of course I can't leave the vinyl playback the way it is, so I started investigating phono preamplifiers in another thread. I also ordered two pair of Wireworld eclipse RCA interconnects so I have the same input cables for both sources. Yesterday I purchased a Kimber TAC tonearm cable to try since the current tonearm wiring is a temporary solution and I think it is sucking the life out of the music with its high capacitance. I will be researching MC cartridges in the new year, and eventually upgrade to a VPI signature prime turntable to get my vinyl playback on par with the current digital setup.

If you bought Kimber directly they have a return policy. They are a great and fair company to do business with. Would give them a call if you’re unhappy.

I love their speaker wire, but not big on their ICs, so far (Have only tried Hero ICs; I do like the DV30 coax cable, however).
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options

I figured it out. It's a Siemens & Halske, I62 ≠3 ...can't see the rest.

3zl5lt9gf7tn.jpg

I was going to mention that Siemens also had the mould creases as well. I'm really surprised any of the lettering is left on 50+ year old tubes. That chalk lettering is so fragile putting them in and out of boxes removes some of it as well. Thank god for the hard to remove symbles and such :smile: