What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Does the fireplace get hot on top?
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    xsmi wrote: »
    Does the fireplace get hot on top?

I actually don’t turn the electric heater on, since my central air keeps me warm.

This has a remote and gives the 🔥 light show without using the heater functionality.

Otherwise, I would not want to be equipment up top if that were the case.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Love it!
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Put the 705s back into the main rig. So far, so good, the cats are leaving them alone. It's been 3 years since they've seen the light of day. It's almost like they need to be broken in all over again. Either that or the Ascend Sierra 1 NRT's I've been using from @Clipdat are far superior. I'm leaning towards the later. 705's obviously win in terms of bass extension, but the Acends smoke them otherwise. I've been an Ascend proponent for a long time and have been eyeing RAAL towers for years. This might just push me off the fence.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I've heard that if speakers sit unused for an extended period of time that the crossovers will need time to break-in again.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Shhh, don't give me an excuse!
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I've heard that if speakers sit unused for an extended period of time that the crossovers will need time to break-in again.

That's with any electronic component when it comes to sound (the end result as to hits one's ears) IME.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,929
    edited February 2022
    After looking at these since they first came out I finally purchased the KLH Model 5s.m277p8626jd9.jpeg
    by3ia3vo1v8w.jpeg
    juxd0exp7gf8.jpeg
    10nhrdsdscfx.jpeg

Cool -- and I love your floor(s)!

EDIT: No idea why this thread opened to a post from December -- but I'm going to leave my reply here.. since the flooring is... really nice. :)

So -- how are you liking those KLHs?

• mhardy6647 wrote: »
    After looking at these since they first came out I finally purchased the KLH Model 5s.m277p8626jd9.jpeg
    by3ia3vo1v8w.jpeg
    juxd0exp7gf8.jpeg
    10nhrdsdscfx.jpeg

EDIT: No idea why this thread opened to a post from December -- but I'm going to leave my reply here.. since the flooring is... really nice. :)

Thanks for the compliment on the floors. They actually are tile planks. Not great for acoustics but easy to maintain.

I really like the KLHs, had them for a couple of months and they just get better. Tight bass and warm mids. Top end is a little sparkly but you can adjust with a control in the back.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    by3ia3vo1v8w.jpeg
    juxd0exp7gf8.jpeg
    10nhrdsdscfx.jpeg

Thanks for the compliment on the floors. They actually are tile planks. Not great for acoustics but easy to maintain.

I really like the KLHs, had them for a couple of months and they just get better. Tight bass and warm mids. Top end is a little sparkly but you can adjust with a control in the back.

The Hint 6 is a darn good paring for the model 5's. Very nice setup.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Listening to Dave Brubeck’s Time Out SACD on the L-800’s. I can Paul Desmond’s articulations clearly. Could always hear when the mouthpiece filled up with water. But hearing the tongue action is freaking AMAZING!!
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 244
    Gathered up some budget gear for basement rig. Just need to clean up an area and get a proper rack.

1xc5zs253dnu.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,137
    joebass3 wrote: »
    Gathered up some budget gear for basement rig. Just need to clean up an area and get a proper rack.

Technics SA500? First thing I ever bought to power my 7B's when I was in college. I still have it in mint condition in the original box.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • joebass3
    joebass3 Posts: 244

Technics SA500? First thing I ever bought to power my 7B's when I was in college. I still have it in mint condition in the original box.

This is the SA-600. I was bidding on a 500 in an estate sale but the price got to high. The next day I found this on FB marketplace.

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,137
    Nice! I probably decided I couldn't afford that one back then lol.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • 55SLA70
    55SLA70 Posts: 45
    Just replaced the RCA 5R4GY rectifier, in my CSP3 preamp, with a Dutch made Amperex 5AR4. Now I know why people pay the money they do for these. A fantastic sounding tube. The only bad side is that I’ll probably, sometime in the near future, be hunting for a few more. It doesn’t end.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,271
    How much are those rectifiers going for these days?
  • 55SLA70
    I got this one for about $130, but I’ve seen as high as $250. They’re supposed to last an extremely long time though. I was told maybe 50,000 hours. If that’s the case, maybe it’s not too outrageous of a price. We’ll see.
    Old Name: 55LS70Preamp: Decware CSP3 w/ 1 x Amperex 7308, 2 x Amperex 6922's, 1 x RCA 5R4GY Power Amp: Cary SLA Signature 2 X Mullard GZ32's, 2 X RCA 5691's, 4 X Tung Sol 6550 reissuesAnalog: Rega Planar 3 w/ P2000 motor, Deep Groove sub platter, Incognito tonearm wiring, JA Michell counterweight, Tangospinner feet, Dynavector 10 x 5 cartridge, Parks Audio Budgie Hybrid phono stage w/ 2 x BEL 6922's.Radio: HH Scott 330D tuner with HH Scott Type 335 multiplex. Both modified by Mapleshade.Digital: Marantz ND8006Speaker Cables: Kimber Kable 8TC'sSpeakers: Polk Audio LSIM 703'sInterconnects. Tuner: Audioquest Black Mamba II's, phono stage: Kimber Kable Hero's, PreAmp/Amp and Digital: Audioquest King Cobra"s
  • treitz3
    Rectifiers can have a significant impact on the end result IME. I went with a midgrade in my Canary pre......wish I had gone with the upgraded one....but it was close to 4 bills.

$279 was enough for me at the time.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Hey Tom - Is there any way I could assist with the network issue you mentioned that is preventing you from using your Vega? Feel free to PM me.
  • invalid
    I'm glad I don't have to buy those anymore, I just buy a couple 1616 or 866a's for $10-20 each and they sound much better than all those 5 volt rectifiers.
  • 55SLA70
    edited March 2022
    invalid wrote: »
    I'm glad I don't have to buy those anymore, I just buy a couple 1616 or 866a's for $10-20 each and they sound much better than all those 5 volt rectifiers.

Mercury vapor? Smart move on your part. To get out from underneath the high prices some of these tubes are commanding is definitely a win.
  • invalid
    I bought a used power supply that just plugs right into the rectifier socket on my preamp, it can still use a 5 volt rectifier tube with the flick of a switch and an adapter or use 2.5 volt 4 pin rectifier tubes. The 2.5 volt rectifier tubes smoke the 5 volt rectifier tubes.
  • treitz3
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Hey Tom - Is there any way I could assist with the network issue you mentioned that is preventing you from using your Vega? Feel free to PM me.

I think I might take you up on that. It's an IP addy issue and I am using an extender until I can run an Ethernet line. Frustrating and time consuming is just the start....time I don't have and haven't had.

Thank you.

Tom
  • 55SLA70
    invalid wrote: »
    I bought a used power supply that just plugs right into the rectifier socket on my preamp, it can still use a 5 volt rectifier tube with the flick of a switch and an adapter or use 2.5 volt 4 pin rectifier tubes. The 2.5 volt rectifier tubes smoke the 5 volt rectifier tubes.

Nice. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for one of those. It might come in handy.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    xsmi wrote: »
    Got the tape measure out and moved the Legends into a more ideal spot. The SDA-SRS's will be moving on shortly.

You are finding them to best the big dogs as well?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson