What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    You know how the ol' lady gets PO'd because there are too many remotes? Try this. :D
    zijs2keijtbz.png
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited December 2021
    p9bedg9gyarx.jpg

The 2.0 meter 3.5mm interconnect arrived today to add to the livingroom rig to listen to Tidal from an extra laptop to Dragon fly to Denon able to listen to Tidal in every location now.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Navy_Goat
    Navy_Goat Posts: 375
    Swapped amps in the living room rig. Tge Crown is out, replaced by and Adcom 555 on loan from a buddy. To early to tell for sure, but I suspect I will not want to put tgat Crown back into the system so I will likely be looking for a permenent solution soon.
    fonbcf3rsbs4.jpg
    sx16zded4pjq.jpg
    5ouh1eeq0466.jpg
    SDA SRS 2.3tl, SDA 1C, SDA 2B (TL mod), Reserve 200
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,188
    Hi, Caleb! Can you pull your speakers out about 8 inches? You are getting some helatious reflections off of that mantle that I am quite sure is messing with the sound stage/imaging.

TOM
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Navy_Goat

That does look great.
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hi, Caleb! Can you pull your speakers out about 8 inches? You are getting some helatious reflections off of that mantle that I am quite sure is messing with the sound stage/imaging.

TOM
    Tom, I could and I have in the past. Having them out a bit helped imaging and soundstage as you say, but it hurt the bass a bit. Their position is a compromise that I have worked out with my wife. When I was experimenting with position I recall having them out past the mantle didn't make that much difference. I remember being surprised how little I lost pushing them back.

Hope your new years celebrations were great!

Caleb
  • treitz3
    Ah, you had me at wife. Say no more. ;) Happy wife, happy life.

Thanks. we had a very relaxing and safe New Year's celebration at the house with our son. I actually fell asleep on the couch while watching TV with them and got woken up at midnight with a kiss from my wife. That's a damned fine way to start out a new years to me!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Navy_Goat
    Ah, you had me at wife. Say no more. ;) Happy wife, happy life.

Thanks. we had a very relaxing and safe New Year's celebration at the house with our son. I actually fell asleep on the couch while watching TV with them and got woken up at midnight with a kiss from my wife. That's a damned fine way to start out a new years to me!

Tom

That sounds like a great way to do it. We spent the eve at Randy's place. Good times, nice drinks and a mellow night.
  • Gonna work on the NAD 2200

jl74uiskmynr.jpg
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,501
    Last week, I found my Nordost Blue heaven interconnects buried in one of my closets and threw them in my rig between the source and the Pre (and put my unity cables between the pre and amp. combo seems to work best.

Today I swapped out my old Fatman integrated in my office rig to an Ayima a07, along with a FX Audio Dac X6 I use with my Iphone so I can use Tidal at the office. Running on RT35i's
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,287
    dtqual1ep1js.jpg

They are doing better than expected. I have them on a 60 day trial.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    edited January 2022
    erniejade wrote: »
    dtqual1ep1js.jpg

They are doing better than expected. I have them on a 60 day trial.

I am a week in a pair as well, and still unsure. Some sessions I love them and others not so much. Curious about your thoughts after some time on them. I think the break in period is real with this one. I do like the tight bass and the retro vibe.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • erniejade
    Toght bass. Clean mids but can get a little hot sounding when pushed, but I only have 5 hours on them. They do sound bigger than they are. I only played with dialing them in for about 10 minutes and could probably use more tweaking as they break in. The Eagles Hotel California from Hell Freezes over was really nice on them, as well as America sacd. They are sensitive to the rest of the chain. More revealing, then I thought they would be.

I am hoping some of the hot when pushed sound will mellow out as they break in.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • treitz3
    erniejade wrote:
    How old are these things again? I wouldn't hold your breath.

....but I digress....

Maybe they haven't been played with in a while.

Big Daddy T

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,937
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • erniejade
    erniejade wrote:

....but I digress....

Big Daddy T

Brand new klh model 5. They only have about 5 hours on them. Bass is fast and clean. Vocals are nice and so is the top end, but when having something like Santana pushed a bit hard, they seem to get a little edgy or shouty. I am being told or read that around 100 hours, they settle in. We shall see, or they will go back.
  • treitz3
    Wow. Okay, I really digress. They look like 40 year old speakers. (TBT)

I think I'll slip out for bit...

Tom

• erniejade wrote: »
    erniejade wrote:

....but I digress....

Big Daddy T

Brand new klh model 5. They only have about 5 hours on them. Bass is fast and clean. Vocals are nice and so is the top end, but when having something like Santana pushed a bit hard, they seem to get a little edgy or shouty. I am being told or read that around 100 hours, they settle in. We shall see, or they will go back.

Yeah the mids are sweet, I am 30 hours in or so and I have struggled a little with imaging , there are moments that I am super impressed. As far as the highs have you tried the attenuator on the back. Should be interesting to see how these break in. I have high hopes.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • treitz3
    3qpdf7xnqmac.png
    Lane Meyer wrote:
    Two brothers. One speaks no English, the other learned English from watching The Wide World of Sports. So you tell me—which is better, speaking no English at all, or speaking like Howard Cosell?
    Truly a sight to behold. A man beaten. The once great champ, now, a study in mopishness. No longer the victory-hungry stallion we've raced so many times before, but a pathetic, washed-up, aged ex-champion.

Tom
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526

What do you have the rear tweeter dial set to?
  • VR3
    erniejade wrote:

....but I digress....

Big Daddy T

My first thought is diffraction
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • erniejade
    Clipdat wrote: »

What do you have the rear tweeter dial set to?

I have it on mid right now. For the first 2 hours I had it on high, then listed to the same stuff on mid. Supposedly the high = o and mid is -1.5 DB. As they break in more, I will try setting them lower to the -3 DB.

Tom they do have a nice vintage look but, they are 2021-2022 model.

@rburgess714 I started them out 6" from the back wall about 7 feet apart, right now I have them 12" from the back wall and 6.5 feet apart and I sit about 9 feet back from them with a good amount of tow in to get a good center image. I am not done playing around with the position of them yet. I am getting close but, not there quite yet. They are better then I thought they would be and they still need more break in time and I still want to mess around with positioning them. This weekend I will be able to leave them on all night for a couple of days to help get some time on them faster. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYi4mptKrfo Sean assessment review is very close. He liked them with the grill on but, I liked them more with the grill off but again, it could be because this set are not fully broken in yet.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    muncybob wrote: »
    Something I did to the 2 channel rig that I wish I had done long ago, added a sub to the mix. I am happily surprised at how much more I'm enjoying tunes lately.

Install another one some day and enjoy the mix even more so ;)

• VR3
    I believe the current recommendation is 4, one per corner.

Congrats on the sub!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,119
    That's one way to eliminate the nodes from standing waves :D
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • VR3
    also, need to make sure you have 200 wpc minimum per channel