What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited July 2020
    invalid wrote: »
    I always wreck the camera and the speakers on my phones. Construction work seems to be hard on them.

They still make cameras that are cameras. Just sayin'.

:p

zmbr548om29d.jpg
    edit: that's actually my old DSLR -- my son just recently got me a newer one (also 'reconditioned'... he's a frugal lad, like his ol' mom & dad. :) The D5000's been passed along to our daughter (per our son's request).
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Spirit orbs. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    The sum will be better I am sure.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Those single wide-range driver towers are intriguing.
    Some details, if you would be so kind
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Which Altec is that in the second to last pic? I was thinking Santana,but it looks too large.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited July 2020
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Those single wide-range driver towers are intriguing.
    Some details, if you would be so kind

Those are my much-loved Bob Brines designed mass loaded TQWTs fitted with Radio Shack 40-1354 5-1/4" twincones. The pair in there nowadays have had amateur ;) dustcapectomies, followed by the addition of Dave Dlugos' phase plugs (which, anecdotally/empirically smooth out and seem to extend the treble substantially).

Cabinets were built by our friend -- contractor/cabinetmaker Mike Berg in Hudson MA.
    Mike also built my :"Billfort" cabinets for what became the Frankenaltecs.

They R good "fullrangers"

xkx386xra9bh.png
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Lost one channel on my Belles 21A. Thought I'd swap left and right tubes to see if I could troubleshoot and Had a horrible screeching sound in the suspect tube. Replaced with a new "Baldwin Organ" Raytheon (I love these 12AU7 tubes!). AAAHHHH! much better. Anyone using a pre with the 12AU7, I highly recommend this tube. It's got that just smoked a fatty, soul lifting sound that makes tubes "special"
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Lost one channel on my Belles 21A. Thought I'd swap left and right tubes to see if I could troubleshoot and Had a horrible screeching sound in the suspect tube. Replaced with a new "Baldwin Organ" Raytheon (I love these 12AU7 tubes!). AAAHHHH! much better. Anyone using a pre with the 12AU7, I highly recommend this tube. It's got that just smoked a fatty, soul lifting sound that makes tubes "special"

I like your description, it fits that tube well :) A good tube at a very reasonable price.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Introduced a Rythmik F12 to my 2 channel setup. B)

AND?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    machone wrote: »
    Introduced a Rythmik F12 to my 2 channel setup. B)

AND?

I guess I could have been a little more descriptive. :) Originally I had written more but went back and just left that one sentence because there is nothing else to say. The sub integrates perfectly into my set up. It adds the low bass the Silverlines are missing without being overpowering. It just sounds natural. If you did not actually see the sub, you would not know it is even there. I would have to say this is probably the biggest upgrade I have made since going to all separates 10 years ago or so.

I feel the same way, Jeff.
    The subs in my office are basically only there for sub-50hz content and the gains are barely above 10%.
    They are completely integrated in that you never notice them until you turn them off. And then only on content that REALLY needs it.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    I hooked-up this older Klipsch sub today.
    t7k4wc8ugzkz.jpg
    I was listening to some bass test tracks, and curiosity got the best of me.
    The JMLab Mezzo Utopias go low...but not ultra-low.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • joecoulson
    Always prefer a sub for music. Kudos Jody.
  • jdjohn
    Product literature for the Mezzo Utopia states it goes down to 30Hz. I don't believe it. I think Trey @VR3 would agree with me. But, being Trey, he did some crossover network upgrades, which I think will help in the lower end. I actually have the parts, but have yet to R&R them in my speakers :#
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    What's the Klipsch sub rated down to?
  • jdjohn
    It's a KSW-10, and rated +/-3dB down to 29Hz.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    The Mezzo utopia definitely hits 30hz with authority. No shortness of bass in my room.

Bass can definitely be room dependent
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    jdjohn wrote: »
    It's a KSW-10, and rated +/-3dB down to 29Hz.

of course ultimately let your ears decide in your room, and I have never owned that exact sub. But I have owned numerous mass market 10 inch ported subs from polk, klipsch, dayton audio, etc., and first they almost never come close to their rated extension, and second they are usually one note flab machines. As much as I love bass, I would rather have a little less but it be tight, accurate, fast, and textured, than more fat, bloated bass...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • joecoulson
    VR3 wrote: »
    The Mezzo utopia definitely hits 30hz with authority. No shortness of bass in my room.

Bass can definitely be room dependent

As Trey can attest, there is a massive lack in my space and a sub is definitely needed. So yes, each room dependent.
  • VR3
    You can actually see in the stereophile response graph almost exactly what I experience in my room

d1uca3h7p672.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • What a cool turntable @Tony M !
    The new cover looks great...
    They dont make 'em like that anymore!
  • jdjohn
    VR3 wrote: »
    You can actually see in the stereophile response graph almost exactly what I experience in my room

d1uca3h7p672.jpg
    I hooked-up a frequency tone generator today, and actually could hear it down to 30Hz. I guess one of bass test songs yesterday was going even lower, which I could not hear. It was a Basstronics song.
  • joecoulson
    I actually listen to mostly electronic music, therefore sub 30hz is very common. Towers typically don’t do those tones any favors.
  • joecoulson
    Maybe I can dance on your carpet in my work boots?
  • VR3
    Dancing is allowed but we have no carpet 😜