What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,480
    butterbean wrote: »
    Got estimates for crossover upgrades. That’s gonna have to wait a bit lol 😂 but I put dynamat on the baskets of my drivers and passive radiator and some acoustic foam behind my drivers as directed by westmassguy. Much more guitar layering. Really brings the mids out! Drums especially kick is stronger! My wife is thrilled!!!!

What speakers?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    edited June 2020
    Gerres26 wrote: »
    ifi91ohw3ppe.jpeg

I'd love to hear these! I bet they are superb!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    audioluvr wrote: »
    ifi91ohw3ppe.jpeg

There’s a cool little Audio store in Royal Oaks Michigan that has them. When I say little, I mean the listening room might be a little bigger than your average living room. They carry them as well as Maggie’s. They sound fantastic in that little space.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2020
    butterbean wrote: »
    ... put dynamat on the baskets of my drivers and passive radiator... Much more guitar layering. Really brings the mids...
    Consider this: what you “hear” is in fact low level detail that is no longer masked.

Years ago did the same but treating just one speaker then listened to them for change if any. I played some Donald Fagen for its bass heavy tracks.
    Side note: the treated speaker received an internal wiring upgrade

W/the tweets disconnected, panning from the treated to the untreated, I was surprised to hear the untreated emit a lot of lower level, but impossible to ignore, sharp metallic sounds. The treated speaker emitted only “musical information” sans highs. Reconnecting the tweeter on the untreated speaker masked those unwanted sounds.

Just a theory. I’ve since treated all my speakers as above making sure to cover the magnets too, preventing/reducing reflected mids in the closure.

While you were in there, did you upgrade* the internal* wiring*? Have yet to do* my surrounds - easier during the bi-amp upgrade, hopefully late this year.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 857
    xsmi wrote: »
    audioluvr wrote: »
    ifi91ohw3ppe.jpeg

There’s a cool little Audio store in Royal Oaks Michigan that has them. When I say little, I mean the listening room might be a little bigger than your average living room. They carry them as well as Maggie’s. They sound fantastic in that little space.

I can say that these are the first speakers that I’ve had in my house that compete with the modded 1.2tl’s. I really could live with either pair at this point, they’re that good.
  • CH46E
    treitz3 wrote: »
    ljdfur9mo1pw.png

9uuhwfbcd08i.png

Oh, there are some out there that are good lookin' ohm walls. The ones pictured in the bottom photo are ready to be installed into my crossover units. Looking forward to listening to the end results.

Tom

So I'm about to order a few of the Path Audio resistors. Schematic calls for 9.4 ohms. Closest I can find is 9.1 ohms. Do you guys think that will be ok?
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    Yep
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    +/-5% is usually well within “spec”.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    I picked these bad boys up a couple weeks ago and finally got some time last night to get a real listening session with them. They’re in the main rig in place of my 1.2tls for now and so far they sound damn nice.
    ifi91ohw3ppe.jpeg

It’s surprising how much more of a load for an amplifier these Aerials present than the big Polks. The bias meter on my Pass amp doesn’t move with the SDAs unless I really crank it but just getting the 10Ts to a decent volume has the meter jumping around.

Sweet man, betcha those Aerials sound fantastic. One of my fav. brands of speakers. You can throw anything at them at they'll put a smile on your face.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • xb4ctjec3pid.jpg

Hooked up a rasberry pi running ropieee to my stereo, and signed up for roon/tidal free trials. Sounds great!
    The turntable was my only source before.
    Still waiting for the case to come in the mail.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    xb4ctjec3pid.jpg

Hooked up a rasberry pi running ropieee to my stereo, and signed up for roon/tidal free trials. Sounds great!
    The turntable was my only source before.
    Still waiting for the case to come in the mail.

Sweet! Btw qobuz is $5 cheaper and sounds better than tidal and their catalog size is quickly catching up...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,905
    I agree, tried both and Qobuz does sound better.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • CH46E
    edited June 2020
    I also use Qobuz. Mostly for flac downloads but like it a lot.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 857
    I’ve been using Qobuz as well, sounds excellent but I need to invest in a better streamer as my chromecast audio doesn’t always play well with it.
  • CH46E
    edited June 2020
    I’ve been using Qobuz as well, sounds excellent but I need to invest in a better streamer as my chromecast audio doesn’t always play well with it.

I download from my desktop pc to a usb 3.0 thumb drive and plug that into my Yamaha HTR. Sounds better than any of my CDs.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    I upgraded my Twisted Pear Buffalo III 9028 Pro to a TP BIII 9038 Pro board. The 9038’s analog output section is duplicated 4 times and connected in parallel. Sounds just a bit better with more torque or punch and resolution.

I upgraded my Signature Sonore music servers front USB output from 2.0 to 3.0.
    Now I don’t have to connect external drive behind it for incremental backups. The MB had a USB 3.0 header so why not.

I tried upgrading from Vortexbox 2.4 to 2.5 beta with no luck. Fortunately, I disconnected the music drive and used a new SSD half card for the op system upgrade. I just put the old 2.4 op system SSD drive card back in and reconnected the music drive to be back in business.

The power supplies for the board and SOtM USB 3.0 card are in another chassis. Power pass through on the SOtM card powers the hard drive which has a SOtM SATA power filter.

The CMOS battery was dead so that was replaced. I cut out the old battery and zip tied a new 2032 battery in until the proper new one arrives. It has a short harness connection, wrapped in shrink.

Looks like top-shelf material to me RIch! You always do such great work :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • ZLTFUL
    I started putting mine back together after the great basement water incursion of June 2020.

Also doing some rearranging of the gear as the amps came WAY too close to getting wet.

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I am doing the same thing as Ryan is doing. Putting the system back together after having some work done in the basement due to a dishwasher leak.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That sucks fellas. Sorry to hear that. Not fun. Had basement flood in last house with a home theater down there.
  • ZLTFUL
    joecoulson wrote: »
    That sucks fellas. Sorry to hear that. Not fun. Had basement flood in last house with a home theater down there.

Fortunately, it wasn't as bad as it could have been.
    The carpet guy was supposed to do his final measure the morning we flooded.

We lost some insulation and the stage and risers in my in progress 7 seat dedicated theater had to be dismantled and the flooring in my office was ruined, but all in all, minor inconveniences in the grand scheme of things.

• CH46E
    edited June 2020
    These came in today. That's a standard size envelope they are on for size comp.
    So the little tubes are not for liquid. They only go in a little. Maybe there to aid with mounting?

I sure hope it sounds as good as it's going to look.

I placed another order Saturday for 2 more caps and 2 Path Audio resistors.

3jg8gyxovy0f.jpg
    jp1vyw2duc6s.jpg
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • stevep
    stevep Posts: 327
    Usually to solder to the PCB.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    rebelsoul wrote: »
    just got my jolida 801a back from shop - new transformer / new caps v-caps/ new resisters mundorf

First impressions?
    I had a 502B (I think that was the model) almost 15 years ago and loved it
  • rebelsoul
    rebelsoul Posts: 742
    At first i was is this my amp. About 3 hours i am starting to like what i hear.