What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Very nice, I like the design. How's the action/noise of the slot loading CD mechanism? Is it quiet?

Edit: Pretty tidy design inside too:

6000CDT-inside.jpg

Drew, It has a 'slight' mechanical noise when loading the Disc, and I mean ever so slight. During operation it is extremely quiet, dead quiet.

I was a little leery of a 'Slot Loader', but all the Reviews I've read stated that this is not an issue. It's the same mechanism that Audiolab uses in their top player.

I did something I normally don't do, and purchased a Two Year Extended Warranty, just in case.

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited January 2020
    Wardsweb wrote: »
    This weekend I replaced the fans in my Behringer amp with some from Artic Ice. The factory fans had a 45dB noise level. The new ones are 15dB. I also painted it black (it was silver). I didn't take a before picture, so here is one I cropped out of an older picture.

nd0f6ud3nrs0.jpg

x8cuqfcxj59f.jpg

How easy was installing the fans? Do you happen to have a link to where you got yours? I have a NX3000 and it sits behind the couch where my subs are. They fans are so noisey I cant run YPAO calibration with this amp on. I have to set the amp out side the room and run a longer speaker wire. Its ridiculous.

That black paint job you gave it really makes it look a lit better. Nice job.
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    Hey CH46E, your moniker gave me flash backs of cross decking. The good old days of "shitters" and "frogs". Anyway, I will send you a link and pictures of the change. It is really easy.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I've been using an OPPO UDP-203 as a Transport into my DAC for a couple of years. I decided to sell the 203, as used prices are quite good it seems.

I replaced the OPPO with an Audiolab 6000CDT. This unit is strictly a CD Transport with no Internal DAC.

Right out of the box, the 6000CDT is head and shoulders above the playback I was getting from the OPPO. Very pleased so far :)

40d0a8jw1yzv.jpg

Very clean and elegant looking. I've heard great things about the Audiolab transports. Enjoy!

Ray
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I've been using an OPPO UDP-203 as a Transport into my DAC for a couple of years. I decided to sell the 203, as used prices are quite good it seems.

I replaced the OPPO with an Audiolab 6000CDT. This unit is strictly a CD Transport with no Internal DAC.

Right out of the box, the 6000CDT is head and shoulders above the playback I was getting from the OPPO. Very pleased so far :)

40d0a8jw1yzv.jpg
    I debated between the 6000CDT and the CXC. I liked the servo concept in the CXC, and once they had the closeout prices hit I decided it was time to jump on it.
    The fact that they also put out a "new" version that is exactly the same as the previous version also gave me confidence given that they were moving forward with the existing design.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    Both good transport options in the ~$500 range. I would love to compare them back to back to see if I could hear any difference between them.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited January 2020
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Both good transport options in the ~$500 range. I would love to compare them back to back to see if I could hear any difference between them.

You could reach out to them for a review sample
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    edited January 2020
    Meh. I'd rather review the Luxman L-590AXII.

gb1.jpg

http://www.luxman.com/product/detail.php?id=1

30wpc pure Class A!
  • Mike Reeter

40d0a8jw1yzv.jpg
    I debated between the 6000CDT and the CXC. I liked the servo concept in the CXC, and once they had the closeout prices hit I decided it was time to jump on it.
    The fact that they also put out a "new" version that is exactly the same as the previous version also gave me confidence given that they were moving forward with the existing design.

Yes, my choice was between these two also. They both have good reviews and support. It seems like there is not much available out there besides them, until you get into the 2-4K range.

I'd love to have a Jay's Transport, but can't stand the Tariff ;)
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I bet it was Mike. LOL

Nice.

Tom

Ha! Yes, I picked up the the OPPO simply because of it's Die-Hard Disc Mechanism. I never inserted a DVD into it, strictly used it as a Transport.

Didn't know what I was missing...until I did.

• displayname

40d0a8jw1yzv.jpg

Yes, my choice was between these two also. They both have good reviews and support. It seems like there is not much available out there besides them, until you get into the 2-4K range.

I'd love to have a Jay's Transport, but can't stand the Tariff ;)
    I bet it was Mike. LOL

Nice.

Tom

Ha! Yes, I picked up the the OPPO simply because of it's Die-Hard Disc Mechanism. I never inserted a DVD into it, strictly used it as a Transport.

Didn't know what I was missing...until I did.

Yeah, Marvin has the Jays and it is killer. I just don't spin CDs enough to justify the cost.
    Discogs
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

40d0a8jw1yzv.jpg

Since the same digital file from the CD is going to the DAC from either the Oppo or the Audiolab what exactly is the difference in sound?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mike Reeter
    BlueFox wrote: »

40d0a8jw1yzv.jpg

Since the same digital file from the CD is going to the DAC from either the Oppo or the Audiolab what exactly is the difference in sound?

That certainly seems to be the consensus, that any Transport is just delivering the same X's & O's. But, the Audiolab is revealing much more information from every CD I've loaded into it.

Better dynamics, space, livelier, realism comes to mind. The overall presentation is larger in scale than compared to the OPPO. The 16/44 CD's are rivaling some Hi Res files I've played with.

I can't explain it very well, I just know what I'm hearing is the best Digital that I've experienced in my setup to date.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited January 2020
    It's akin to changing out a cartridge on an LP player.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

40d0a8jw1yzv.jpg

That certainly seems to be the consensus, that any Transport is just delivering the same X's & O's. But, the Audiolab is revealing much more information from every CD I've loaded into it.

Better dynamics, space, livelier, realism comes to mind. The overall presentation is larger in scale than compared to the OPPO. The 16/44 CD's are rivaling some Hi Res files I've played with.

I can't explain it very well, I just know what I'm hearing is the best Digital that I've experienced in my setup to date.

Thanks. I think the issue is how accurate the laser reads the pits, and non pits. I seem to remember reading more accurate reading reduces jitter.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    Then you have the clock differential and a slew of other things that can affect sound quality. Everything affects everything.

You remember Amir, right? He got into all that jazz. I could care less but he did know about these kinds of things. All I care about is the end result as to what hits these ears.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Mike Reeter

40d0a8jw1yzv.jpg

Thanks. I think the issue is how accurate the laser reads the pits, and non pits. I seem to remember reading more accurate reading reduces jitter.

That sounds good and certainly makes sense to me :D

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Chasing ones and zeros can be every bit as involved and expensive as spinning vinyl...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited January 2020
    I listened to mine.

I'm away from home at our condo in Florida for the winter. The "Presidential" system that I brought with me consists of a Franklin Audio IA150 power amp, a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09, a pair of Polk RT55i speakers and a Squeezebox Touch playing lossless files from my laptop. I have almost 900 CDs ripped to the laptop. Everything but the speakers will come home with me in the spring.

uj0nszbcn9el.jpg
    eqeomdycxhro.jpg

Post edited by classic carl on
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• Mike Reeter
    I listened to mine.

I'm away from home at our condo in Florida for the winter. The "Presidential" system that I brought with me consists of a Franklin Audio IA150 power amp, a Grant Fidelity TubeDAC-09, a pair of Polk RT55i speakers and a Squeezebox Touch playing lossless files from my laptop. I have almost 900 CDs ripped to the laptop. Everything but the speakers will come home with me in the spring.

Sounds like a nice Winter Home Setup, I still have my RT55i's, they are doing duty as the Mains in our modest HT Setup.

btw, we have our eyes set on Florida Winters in a few years when my wife retires. I hope to live long enough :)

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    Added another one of these Furutech flux 50's. Now I have one on each amp :)
    sg5epin591pa.png
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    @motorstereo How much and what has been your observations with respect to how your system sounds? I haven't done any power cords or outlets even in my system. Not sure if its the lowest hanging fruit in my system yet.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • displayname
    It's akin to changing out a cartridge on an LP player.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Tom
    I totally agree with this concept and the result being aligned with @Mike Reeter's feedback.
    There is also a factor of electrical noise, vibrations, etc. All things that you don't really hear, but as you eliminate those noise factors, you increase dynamics, space, etc.

I personally do not like the Xs and Os argument. A very rudimentary analogy would be reading. Imagine a 5 year old, a 10 year old, and a well read adult all trying to read Green Eggs and Ham aloud. They'll all get through it. They are all working with the same Xs and Os. But the 5 year old is going to have more pauses (jitter). The 10 year old is going to be faster, but likely with less vocal inflection and proper pausing (PRAT and dynamics), and the adult will read the story with the appropriate speed and inflections.
    Discogs
  • Mike Reeter
    sg5epin591pa.png

This is new to me, I'm assuming the Filter cleans up your power? Seems like you a have Dedicated Circuit for your setup.

Care to elaborate?

• I listened to mine.

Sounds like a nice Winter Home Setup, I still have my RT55i's, they are doing duty as the Mains in our modest HT Setup.

btw, we have our eyes set on Florida Winters in a few years when my wife retires. I hope to live long enough :)

The RT55i pair were in my HT system, but I replaced them with the Paradigm towers in my signature. They were the largest pair I was able to fit in the SUV for the trip down here.
    Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• motorstereo
    sg5epin591pa.png

This is new to me, I'm assuming the Filter cleans up your power? Seems like you a have Dedicated Circuit for your setup.

Care to elaborate?

Yes the filter cleans up emi and does a good job of it for a passive device according to my emi alpha meter. They're not cheap (like me :) ) and I had been running just a single on my front end for the past year. Being that I already have a good pc with decent emi reduction for the front end I bit the bullet and bought another so now the amps have cleaner power to. Listening to Bonham's drum solo this morning from LZ's How the West was won I'd have to say it's given extra depth to the recording. I don't remember his drums being quite that far back before. More time and more listening is certainly needed.
  • motorstereo
    @motorstereo How much and what has been your observations with respect to how your system sounds? I haven't done any power cords or outlets even in my system. Not sure if its the lowest hanging fruit in my system yet.

I think it sounds good but I'm always looking for ways to improve. I'd have to say one of the biggest bang for the buck upgrades is using dedicated lines on the quietest of the 2 120 legs.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Mike,
    Does the Audiolab have AES/EBU digital out?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • treitz3
    Listening to Bonham's drum solo this morning from LZ's How the West was won I'd have to say it's given extra depth to the recording. I don't remember his drums being quite that far back before.

I absolutely LOVE it when things like this happen. That's awesome!

Tom

• Mike Reeter
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Mike,
    Does the Audiolab have AES/EBU digital out?

Unfortunately, no. Toslink and Digital RCA Coax. My DAC only has RCA Coax and USB inputs, so it's not a issue for me.