What did you do to your stereo rig today?

Comments

• treitz3treitz3 Posts: 14,617
    Gotcha. Thanks. Nice lookin' rig ya' got there.

What speakers are the blue tape for?

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

~ When the law ends, tyranny begins ~
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 26,137
    indyhawg wrote: »
    I picked up some ADS L880s locally yesterday. I gave them a listen today in the small room for a couple hours. Once I got though playing around with placement for them, they sounded pretty good.

FWIW, and not that you asked and not that you may even be interested in my opinions! :| But I thought (think) that the L-710 and L-810 are quite a bit better sounding than the L-780 and L-880. I got a gorgeous pair of L-780s, in their boxes, from a coworker years back. A few listens comparing them to my dump-find L-710s... and I sold the L-780s for what I paid for them. And all y'all know I don't get rid of much.

Haven't heard an L-880 for many, many, many years... but I reckon it would be the case for that one, too (and... heh... also FWIW, I like the L-710 better than the L-810, which I always found a little thick sounding, relatively speaking).

Not that any of this matters one whit, but I still felt moved to share it.
  • TEAforONETEAforONE Posts: 522
    edited January 2
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Gotcha. Thanks. Nice lookin' rig ya' got there.

What speakers are the blue tape for?

Tom
    Well......the blue tape is where the horns were the last time I set them up. I just can't leave well enough alone! I guess I'll move the tape in a few years when the speakers settle in their final resting place. :#
    Thanks for the compliment!
    First Watt,Monarchy Audio,Aric Audio,Prometheus Audio,April Music,Bluesound,Pro-Ject,Onkyo,Graham Chartwell,Nola,Hornshoppe,HSU Research.
    6AQ5s are very nice little output tubes for hifi -- essentially a 6V6 in a 7 pin miniature envelope -- with virtually zero audiophile cachet*

6AQ5s are very nice little output tubes for hifi -- essentially a 6V6 in a 7 pin miniature envelope -- with virtually zero audiophile cachet*

That's what the builder told me. He was a great guy to deal with. I fire it up every few months,and run it for a couple weeks. It's sounds pretty good to these ears.
    First Watt,Monarchy Audio,Aric Audio,Prometheus Audio,April Music,Bluesound,Pro-Ject,Onkyo,Graham Chartwell,Nola,Hornshoppe,HSU Research.
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 1,532
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I picked up some ADS L880s locally yesterday. I gave them a listen today in the small room for a couple hours. Once I got though playing around with placement for them, they sounded pretty good.

FWIW, and not that you asked and not that you may even be interested in my opinions! :| But I thought (think) that the L-710 and L-810 are quite a bit better sounding than the L-780 and L-880. I got a gorgeous pair of L-780s, in their boxes, from a coworker years back. A few listens comparing them to my dump-find L-710s... and I sold the L-780s for what I paid for them. And all y'all know I don't get rid of much.

Haven't heard an L-880 for many, many, many years... but I reckon it would be the case for that one, too (and... heh... also FWIW, I like the L-710 better than the L-810, which I always found a little thick sounding, relatively speaking).

Gee.....thanks for raining on a parade.
    TEAforONE, I don't know your real name (I guess 'cause you are somewhat new 'round here) but If you would indulge my thinking out loud here...

I have had systems that were over 3800 or 4200 watts total. Rigs that would easily make the lights blink with the heavy transients. That just depended on the day and the constantly revolving setup on the rig way back when. Some of the most fun I have had in my audio journey was with a little 8 watt tube amp and a set of Focal Chorus 807V's. IIRC, it was a Radii (sp?) tube amp. Nothing extraordinarily special...

While it was/is nowhere near where I am at today with regards to the main rig? I do hold a very soft spot for that simple little setup. It was fun, a complete pleasure to listen too and there are a lot of aspects that I still miss with that little ol' measly 8 watts.

Paired right? Simply awesome.

Looks to me you have it paired right. You may have given me interest in pulling that amp back out and repairing it. Years ago, I smelled something burning while I was cooking. Well, it wasn't my cooking that I smelled. It was a resistor inside of that amp that to this day, I still miss.

Rock on brother.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

~ The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction ~

~ Not all things that can be measured can be heard and not all things heard can be measured ~

edited January 2

Gee.....thanks for raining on a parade.
    Sorry! Believe it or not, I did think twice before posting that stuff -- I just failed to act upon my better judgement. I do apologize.

You said they sound pretty good; I agree! :)
    Found it. Radii MPP-M8 tube amp. 8 watts - https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/68610/radii-mpp-m8-stereo-tube-amplifier

Apparently after researching this again tonight, it was more than a resistor that blew up. This was that little 8 watt tube amp I was talking about. Might have to send this one down to Hotlanta when I get the Dodd MLP repaired.

Tom

Hi Tom,that sounds like an interesting amp. Get her up and running!!
    Ray
    edited January 3
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Found it. Radii MPP-M8 tube amp. 8 watts - https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/68610/radii-mpp-m8-stereo-tube-amplifier

Apparently after researching this again tonight, it was more than a resistor that blew up. This was that little 8 watt tube amp I was talking about. Might have to send this one down to Hotlanta when I get the Dodd MLP repaired.

Tom

The resistor was most likely a symptom -- a victim of the root cause :/
    Could still be something very simple (e.g., a tired output tube - or tubes - that couldn't hold bias) -- do you know what kind of bias scheme the amp uses?

Nope. No manual adjustments though IIRC.

Tom

TEAforONE wrote: »
    a0cj1pkon1u1.jpeg

I fired up the tube amp. I figured since I have the horns set up,why not let them feed on some tubes?

This was a fun little PP 6AQ5 stereo console amp (of Canadian provenance) that spent some years at the ol' Hardy place after being procured at a local antique radio/audio swapmeet.

12596663603_d331891469_b.jpgPP 6AQ5 console amp 021714 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I couldn't resist it at the asking price... but when I actually listened to it, I was astonished by how good it sounded.

A shelf queen no more, the amp has since been passed along to an analog luminary who lives in the wilds of New York state. :)
    a0cj1pkon1u1.jpeg

I fired up the tube amp. I figured since I have the horns set up,why not let them feed on some tubes?

This was a fun little PP 6AQ5 stereo console amp (of Canadian provenance) that spent some years at the ol' Hardy place after being procured at a local antique radio/audio swapmeet.

I couldn't resist it at the asking price... but when I actually listened to it, I was astonished by how good it sounded.

A shelf queen no more, the amp has since been passed along to an analog luminary who lives in the wilds of New York state. :)

One of the nice things with the 6aq5's is you can roll tubes on the cheap! Was your amp turnkey?
    a0cj1pkon1u1.jpeg

One of the nice things with the 6aq5's is you can roll tubes on the cheap! Was your amp turnkey?

Yup -- although 100% original as found, but it worked fine and sounded... pretty amazing.

Had I ever rehabbed it, I'd've done something to drop the HV a tad bit for modern AC mains. Easy way to do that would be to go to a rectifier with a higher voltage drop than the 5U4GB or whatever it was that was in there. :)
    Today I received the Amperex Holland Rogers 12AX7's I ordered last week. I'm VERY impressed!! Great tone,definition,and a gigantic soundstage.
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,621
    edited January 6
    Tube rolling! Got a matched set of Sylvania tall black plate halo 12au7's with the Baldwin Logo on them today to match my Hallicrafters. I liked the sound of the Hallicrafters so much I bought these as a back up just in case something happened to these. I'm surprised there is even a difference in sound with identical tubes! These baldwins are a little more forward (?) and edgy or raspy or something. Haven't decided it I like that or not yet. Sounds great when listening to techno though. With the volume all the way down and tapping on the Hallicrafters they were virtually dead silent. One of the Baldwins gave out a good amount of tapping sound through the speaker so I may mark that one as noisy and see if I can find a quiet one.

How are you tube guys dampening your pre's? I read somewhere online that you should put some closed cell foam under the feet of a tubed pre so it doesn't pick up external noises.
    Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer/DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    I use footers that isolate/decouple the vibrations and if needed, I will put a Herbie's ring or the like around the problematic tube. Keep the tubes as far away from subs and the speakers as possible.

The question you asked will have 100's of different answers and is kinda an open ended question. I'm not suggesting that you need too, but starting a separate thread on this particular subject may help you a lot more than on this particular thread.....too many other subjects going on in here.

Just a thought...

Tom

• verbverb Posts: 10,235
    Awesome brother! Looks great! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS,Cary SLP-05 Pre,Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport,Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC,Cambridge 851N streamer,Marantz SA-14 SACD,McIntosh MC300 Amp,Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Pangea Power Cables,Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's,MIT Shotgun S3 IC's,MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC,EAR Acute CD Player,EAR 834L Pre,Northstar Designs Intenso DAC,PASS ACA Monoblocks,Denon UDR-F10 Cassette,Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers,SVS SB12 Plus sub,MIT AVt2 speaker cables,IFI Purifier2,AQ Cinnamon USB cable,Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks,Tisbury Mini Passive Pre,Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38),Analysis Plus Oval 9's,Zu Jumpers,AudioEngine B1 Streamer,Klipsch RB-61 v2,SVS PB1000 sub,Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated,Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer,Rotel RCD-1072 CD player,Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner,Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers,Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Today I swapped out the Amperex Holland Rogers 12ax7's for the Sylvania red label 12at7's. To my ears, the Sylvania's seem to throw a bigger soundstage. Oh,and before I forget,last night I put the Chartwells back in the system.
  • GlennDogGlennDog Posts: 2,315
    I picked up the unusual Usher T-515 from Skip this past weekend. I was impressed with the build quality once we started packing them up and I really got my hands on them. These will likely be here until I can make a bigger leap on to new speakers.

NICE!

Do I spy a Dueventi? Thoughts? End game kit?

Thanks, man!
    Power Rogue M180 monos & Adcom GFA 5802
    PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Rears Salk SuperCharged Surrounds
    Source PSA PWT into NSD Supremo
    Pre/Pro Integra DHC 40.1
    LCD Samsung LN46B750
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Center Salk HT2C
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Wires WW & MIT
  • displaynamedisplayname Posts: 728
    GlennDog wrote: »
    I picked up the unusual Usher T-515 from Skip this past weekend. I was impressed with the build quality once we started packing them up and I really got my hands on them. These will likely be here until I can make a bigger leap on to new speakers.

NICE!

Do I spy a Dueventi? Thoughts? End game kit?

Thanks, man!
    I LOVE the Dueventi. But the fact of the matter is that 10/20 watts only gets you so far. Because my room is fairly small and bright, it gives me more speaker options, but even then it's not going to work with a lot of speakers.

If I end up with endgame speakers that are high enough efficiency I could certainly see sticking with it for a very long time. But if I move to a bigger space and fall in love with some high efficiency speakers, I would probably need to make an amp change. It's also just the start of the Mastersound line. It's hard to say the Dueventi is end game when I know the Evo 845 exists, lol.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,621
    Polkaguy58 wrote: »
    w6g2o23madi4.jpg
    7fev5gdrdmo3.jpg

I see two things very wrong here. Black Velvet and what appears to be a inordinate amount of pubic hair on those speakers.
    Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer/DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables