Looking forward to L800 but have concerns, what are your thoughts?

Comments

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    Any drivers that are designed to a price/performance point can be improved upon. Even current designs. There have been a couple ways in which the Polk midwoofer and passive radiator performance could and have been improved. Namely dampening the stamped metal baskets and better anchoring the drivers to the cabinet structure either with ring supports or inserts for the screws/bolts. Those material changes were very easy to identify by ear. Both of those had very beneficial results for me.

There was no way I would have kept any Polks with the dead fish eye SL2000 tweeters, so that was another huge area of improvement to correct what came to be perceived as a defect over time.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited November 2019
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Any drivers that are designed to a price/performance point can be improved upon. Even current designs. There have been a couple ways in which the Polk midwoofer and passive radiator performance could and have been improved. Namely dampening the stamped metal baskets and better anchoring the drivers to the cabinet structure either with ring supports or inserts for the screws/bolts. Those material changes were very easy to identify by ear. Both of those had very beneficial results for me.

There was no way I would have kept any Polks with the dead fish eye SL2000 tweeters, so that was another huge area of improvement to correct what came to be perceived as a defect over time.

I could swear the SL2000 tweeters aged or sounded worse over time.

I wonder if Polk realized this and the reason for the replacement "newer" style tweeters.
    Not just the 12.5 kHz peak but something just sounded off about them.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981

For their time, doped paper cones were among the best regarded driver materials you could get. They were very carefully researched by Polk to do their job, and were selected despite there being several other driver types that were cheaper. They were also built in-house. Back then, this helped keep costs down.

Today, there are drivers that are several orders of magnitude better that the MW65xx, but I do t think any of them would work as well in the older Polk speakers. Also keep in mind that some of the more well regarded audiophile speakers made even today use doped appear cones.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    One is the size of the big ones overloading the room I have my two channel system in while also being picky on requiring placement close to the front wall.

Two things I have never heard better though are the SDA imaging and the way the midwoofers worked with the passive radiators so seamlessly. To me those two factors are what made them so fun to listen to.

I replaced the SDA SRSs (original) in my home theater with LSiM 707s. I did that strictly for aesthetic reasons. I prefer the look of smaller speakers in that room. The 707s produce a smaller front stage than the SRSs, but they produce a more cohesive front stage with the LSiM 706c center.
    Today, there are drivers that are several orders of magnitude better that the MW65xx, but I do t think any of them would work as well in the older Polk speakers. Also keep in mind that some of the more well regarded audiophile speakers made even today use doped appear cones.

Yes, there have been some substantial advancements in motor structure, basket damping, and materials since the original SDA midwoofers debuted. Some years ago I asked Polk's engineering department for recommendations for upgrade replacements for the original drivers. I was told that different drivers would require a different crossover to properly accommodate the electrical parameters of the new drivers. Cabinet modifications might also be required.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,470
    It's starting to sound like the L600 is the one to get...
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    K_M wrote: »

I could swear the SL2000 tweeters aged or sounded worse over time.

I wonder if Polk realized this and the reason for the replacement "newer" style tweeters.

Yes I do agree with the bold type.

I will also remind you in the tweeter shoot out Ray @DarqueKnight had compared he also found the SL1000 to be the better of the two. Both had polyamide domes yet i can agree the SL2000 was much harsher tweeter and I found the domes to not age as well as my much older SL1000 tweeters i have stashed. I can also attest to the SL1000 also having magnet glue problems. Several I have had let loose and locked up the voice coil. So you also have that problem.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    Comment from an attendee the NY Audio Show.
    Polk Audio / Marantz room - another WOW! Polk were showcasing those new top of the line speakers with cross-talk cancelling technology array on top, driven by a full Marantz stack. Amazing power, detail, and clarity, with no audible distortion even at loud SPL. Color me impressed. Polk people advice pretty close placement: 6 to 8 feet apart, depending on the room, and no toe-in - they need to face the room straight, the array is angled to mimic toe-in, so any additional toe-in done by you will actually ruin the main effect of the speakers, i.e. cross-talk elimination.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    SIHAB wrote: »
    It's starting to sound like the L600 is the one to get...
    Who's listened to it?

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • SIHAB
    @WLDock

Not I. I meant for ease of setup and enjoyment.
    Most people aren't as hard core as we are.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    The L800s, in both finishes, have been available for shipping from Crutchfield for a few days now. They do say low stock. No sign of the L600s yet. All the other speakers in the line are available including the Atmos modules and center channel. That's one big center speaker!
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    From what I was told they shipped to dealers last Friday. My dealer has them in black but not walnut. Walnut is worth the short wait. Not sure bout online dealers. My dealer will deliver, unbox and setup.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    Heard them at the NY Audio show.
    The L800 are definetly among the best SDA speakers made!
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,960
    ESavinon wrote: »
    Heard them at the NY Audio show.
    The L800 are definetly among the best SDA speakers made!

Would you please expound ?
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Are they $2000 for a pair, or $4000 per pair?

4qb7f6yiatpf.png
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Down the bottom there it says " each"
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    well the L800 is 6K so those should be 4K a pair
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    ptrooper wrote: »

Yes, but L800 says $6K each, but that means a pair.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    edited November 2019
    I see they have included this recommendation, bravo!
    high-current amplification from a quality power amp or integrated amplifier is recommended for best performance
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    edited November 2019
    They'll have to stick to their advertising....buy up now!
    Its a bargain but i do beleive you'r dreaming!
    BlueFox wrote: »
    ptrooper wrote: »

Yes, but L800 says $6K each, but that means a pair.

• ptrooper
    edited November 2019
    Dam,If only there were two i the pic! ;) end of convo...

"Really Looking forward to the reviews from the owners of the L800's soon!
    The local west coast hifi shop in the Malaga area here down under in Perth will have L600's for a few days,I'll be there.
    Interdyne the suppler for Polk here are only supplying these for a demo to suppliers.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mpitogo wrote: »
    Polk Audio L800 Walnut in the house!

WOW! But seriously talk to me in 100 hours. These are just FOOTB. Compares well to LSiM 707's which were previously my favorite.

Will pictures soon.

Congrats on being the first! Looking forward to pics and your impressions!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    mpitogo wrote: »
    Pictures for now. On my phone it is correct. Just trim your head...😜
    [emphasis added]

man-o-man, autocorrect is not your friend!
    ;)

3rsd2f984o5r.png

... meanwhile, back at the ranch.

tmyeaavz2qvw.png

il n'y a pas de quoi.
  • SIHAB
    edited November 2019
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,139
    Very nice. Looking forward to your impressions. Especially since some of your equipment looks VERY familiar :)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    Congrats man. I look forward to your impressions as they settle in.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,161
    Wow! Congrats!

You must feel like a kid at Christmas...or a kid in a candy store...or a Polkie with new Polk SDAs.

I cannot wait, once you come up for air, to hear your impressions of them.