How do the new L800 SDA compare to the Original Legend SDA-SRS 1.2TL?

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Ha! Possibly, or travel down the path vicariously! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox wrote: »
    Or one could just buy a speaker and enjoy it for a few years before trying to make it better.

Seems logical!!!
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Or one could just buy a speaker and enjoy it for a few years before trying to make it better.

If you ask the guys that design/engineer speakers, most do not believe in the botique crossover parts route.
    Yes some speakers use truly mediocre crossover parts, and can be improved, but not all..
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    K_M wrote: »

If you ask the guys that design/engineer speakers, most do not believe in the botique crossover parts route.
    Yes some speakers use truly mediocre crossover parts, and can be improved, but not all..

If you ask the guys around here what they think of your opinion, most would say “KM who?”
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

Depends on who you ask. If you ask people who design speakers to make a profit from, then of course your not going to use top flight crossover parts.

Ask the designers to make a speaker based on performance with no worries about profit margins, you'll find top flight crossover parts.

It's not that crossover parts don't matter, because they do, it's most are beholden to a bottom line and price point to achieve first and foremost.

You can find the same things in cars. A benz has some cheap parts in it too. You'll never see those however visually, and it's the same with crossovers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2019
    Benzes and Beemers are chockablock with cheap parts -- which is pretty obvious five or six years on :(
    Both of 'em have had a predilection, at least in the not-too-distant past, for puttin' plastic parts in the darndest places.

That's why some folks say:
    The most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap used Mercedes

:|
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Benzes and Beemers are chockablock with cheap parts -- which is pretty obvious five or six years on :(
    Both of 'em have had a predilection, at least in the not-too-distant past, for puttin' plastic parts in the darndest places.

That's why some folks say:
    The most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap used Mercedes

Lol. I used to hear the most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap used Saab
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627

If you ask the guys around here what they think of your opinion, most would say “KM who?”

Well yeah, but many guys here, get off on having no one dare to question things, they believe, and have no ability to to see other views.

Not including you, obviously.....
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Broken record
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    Broken record

223t604wlcxu.png

or

o8v909wy7x7n.png

oh.
    wait.
    I know.

• mhardy6647
    exactly.
    exactly.
    exactly.

:#
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    DSkip wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    Broken record

223t604wlcxu.png

or

o8v909wy7x7n.png

oh.
    wait.
    I know.

What what what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3PUu88nOcw
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    HOWEVER,

Allen Shaw is not a fan of the upgraded crossover route and didn't
    think it did anything to the voicing of his speakers. (paraphrasing)
    His comment was about his anniversary editions.

I'm not saying that modifications aren't useful if you know what
    you are doing. I'm just saying that there are exceptions to the
    Mod is better rule.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • tonyb
    Man, those crossovers are huge.....me likey.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    edited September 2019
    The problem with diy is the resale value is virtually zero
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    VR3 wrote: »

Yes and no Trey. Your customer base is more shallow for sure.

For instance, if you or someone like Jay or other DIY guys around here were to build a speaker, I'd buy them. Only because I know the quality of these peoples work. Others would not.

Plus DIY doesn't come with a warranty like mass produced speakers. That adds value no matter what the product is. That could explain also, why speakers take a nose dive in value after the warranty period is over.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    There are exceptions for sure but in general if the average Joe builds a speaker in his basement, the resale is nill.

Even some of the small companies making speakers, not to name any, their resale value is abysmal
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    True that...

btw, I didn't realize PBN had so many speaker kits.

https://pbnaudio.com/self-assemble-speaker-kits/
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    edited September 2019
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...if you or someone like Jay or other DIY guys around here were to build a speaker, I'd buy them.

Hmmm, Trey, looks to me like Tony's contracted for your first @VR3 speakers. I'd call this post legally binding under CP rules. :smiley:

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    If the DIY project looks like a DIY project typically does, resale value can be very low. I suspect a project like my tube amps would not have that problem.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Yeah but Bob Carver has endorsed your build, there's a difference and exceptions
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    I seriously doubt few get their money back if they buy a new set of speakers at or close to MSRP. Then, dump a ton of money and time into modding the crossovers. I'm sure very few break even on that deal. I think it would come down to how well a person is connected to a particular community that might be interested in a modified speaker and willing to pay for it.

The same would apply to a DIY set. When you look at some of the builds over at www.htguide.com like the Wavecor Ardent builds. There are some guys doing incredible work that probably won't get the their money back given the time and money spent on some of these project. OTOH, there are some that will pay the asking price for some of these DIY builds. I see guys selling their builds all the time. I doubt there is a profit or break even in the deal once labor is added in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28377&d=1532791351
    IMGP0100_zps2b736c8d.jpg
    31452560222_45fd9a8054_o.jpg

I think one that goes down a DIY path does it for a different reason and realize there might be a loss on the resale.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • tonyb
    Gorgeous man...wow.

Agreed, a DIY type is usually in it for personal enjoyment, not to resell and make a buck.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    tonyb wrote: »
    Gorgeous man...wow.
    Agreed, a DIY type is usually in it for personal enjoyment, not to resell and make a buck.
    Yes, they are!
    I keep telling myself that I can build something that sounds and looks good (maybe not as good as the above?) for the HT in the family room. I've been looking at the massive Statements II or Anthology and center channel over on Jim Holtz site:
    http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statement_II_1.html
    http://speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_6.html
    Plus this BIG center channel: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?41930-New-center-channels-for-the-Statements-II-and-The-Finalists
    Maybe I give up on this for now and consider some Polks again down the line?

The reality is... maybe I should focus on building a set of small high performing monitors that I want for music listening in the living room.
    Right now the Jeff Bagby SB Revolution Mini Be (Beryllium tweets!) would be a dream build. https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-revolution-mini-be-loudspeaker-kit/
    I'm seriously thinking about these: They have the Oval woofer on the back like the Buchardt S400 and are supposed to sound much fuller and play much lower then their size would suggest. Great feedback from the DIY community.
    Revolution-Speaker-Kit-Cabinets.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Speaking of these Bagby designs/kits, I just happened to see a new post to a build thread on one of them at:
    https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/stevenzs-diy-jeff-bagby-helix-dome-speaker-build.4818/

Seemed worth mentioning in the context of this thread.

gw24udk8exgl.png

gxg45qwz86ry.png

(photos nicked from the above-mentioned thread)
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739

Safe bet the engineers aren't going to use caps in the neighborhood of $200 to $1K per cap or more, especially when trying to get a series of speakers back on its feet.....throws the profit margin out the window as well as potential sales.

It's up to the consumer to take the product to that last possible 10% if they so desire....that's what makes this hobby even more fun.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited September 2019
    If you ask the guys that design/engineer cars, most will not tell you to put a big fat turbo, higher flowing fuel injectors and fuel pump on any of their cars either.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk