How do the new L800 SDA compare to the Original Legend SDA-SRS 1.2TL?

Comments

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,248
    verb wrote: »
    So i'm looking forward to the new journey that the L800's promise.

Sounds like you already put a deposit down to secure one of the first pairs sold! Congratulations! I like early adopters.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • verbverb Posts: 8,013
    Ha! Possibly, or travel down the path vicariously! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • stones89stones89 Posts: 231
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Or one could just buy a speaker and enjoy it for a few years before trying to make it better.

Seems logical!!!
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,520
    Or one could just buy a speaker and enjoy it for a few years before trying to make it better.

If you ask the guys that design/engineer speakers, most do not believe in the botique crossover parts route.
    Yes some speakers use truly mediocre crossover parts, and can be improved, but not all..
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,511
    K_M wrote: »

If you ask the guys that design/engineer speakers, most do not believe in the botique crossover parts route.
    Yes some speakers use truly mediocre crossover parts, and can be improved, but not all..

If you ask the guys around here what they think of your opinion, most would say “KM who?”
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,642

Depends on who you ask. If you ask people who design speakers to make a profit from, then of course your not going to use top flight crossover parts.

Ask the designers to make a speaker based on performance with no worries about profit margins, you'll find top flight crossover parts.

It's not that crossover parts don't matter, because they do, it's most are beholden to a bottom line and price point to achieve first and foremost.

You can find the same things in cars. A benz has some cheap parts in it too. You'll never see those however visually, and it's the same with crossovers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,458
    edited September 25
    Benzes and Beemers are chockablock with cheap parts -- which is pretty obvious five or six years on :(
    Both of 'em have had a predilection, at least in the not-too-distant past, for puttin' plastic parts in the darndest places.

That's why some folks say:
    The most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap used Mercedes

:|
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 8,337
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Benzes and Beemers are chockablock with cheap parts -- which is pretty obvious five or six years on :(
    Both of 'em have had a predilection, at least in the not-too-distant past, for puttin' plastic parts in the darndest places.

That's why some folks say:
    The most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap used Mercedes

:|

Lol. I used to hear the most expensive car you'll ever own is a cheap used Saab
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,520

If you ask the guys around here what they think of your opinion, most would say “KM who?”

Well yeah, but many guys here, get off on having no one dare to question things, they believe, and have no ability to to see other views.

Not including you, obviously.....
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,967
    Broken record
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

F1nut wrote: »
    Broken record

223t604wlcxu.png

or

o8v909wy7x7n.png

oh.
    wait.
    I know.

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,223
    Broken record

223t604wlcxu.png

or

o8v909wy7x7n.png

oh.
    wait.
    I know.

What what what?
    exactly.
    exactly.
    exactly.

:#
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,515
    DSkip wrote: »
    Broken record

223t604wlcxu.png

or

o8v909wy7x7n.png

oh.
    wait.
    I know.

What what what?

afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,517
    HOWEVER,

Allen Shaw is not a fan of the upgraded crossover route and didn't
    think it did anything to the voicing of his speakers. (paraphrasing)
    His comment was about his anniversary editions.

I'm not saying that modifications aren't useful if you know what
    you are doing. I'm just saying that there are exceptions to the
    Mod is better rule.
    Man, those crossovers are huge.....me likey.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    Dropping a 4 cylinder engine in a Camaro is "adequate" too, gets you around town, back and forth no problem. Who the heck wants that though. No doubt some will, but most won't.

People have to remember that a speaker company is a business, guided by profits. It's not there to swap dollars so you can afford them. The challenge is always going to be, how to put out a product, year after year, that offers improvements, in a market where your customer base has disposable income that keeps shrinking.....and the cost of doing business keeps rising.

Not as easy as one may think, to build mass produced speakers in such an environment, let alone ones that sound good to boot, and keep them reasonably affordable.

I personally think Polk has excelled in that endeavor. It's easy to see why higher end crossovers are not offered, not because they don't matter, but to keep costs and profits in line so they stay in business.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,489
    edited September 26
    The problem with diy is the resale value is virtually zero
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    VR3 wrote: »

Yes and no Trey. Your customer base is more shallow for sure.

For instance, if you or someone like Jay or other DIY guys around here were to build a speaker, I'd buy them. Only because I know the quality of these peoples work. Others would not.

Plus DIY doesn't come with a warranty like mass produced speakers. That adds value no matter what the product is. That could explain also, why speakers take a nose dive in value after the warranty period is over.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    There are exceptions for sure but in general if the average Joe builds a speaker in his basement, the resale is nill.

Even some of the small companies making speakers, not to name any, their resale value is abysmal
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
    True that...

btw, I didn't realize PBN had so many speaker kits.

https://pbnaudio.com/self-assemble-speaker-kits/
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 610
    edited September 26
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...if you or someone like Jay or other DIY guys around here were to build a speaker, I'd buy them.

Hmmm, Trey, looks to me like Tony's contracted for your first @VR3 speakers. I'd call this post legally binding under CP rules. :smiley:

Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 16,223
    SIHAB wrote: »
    HOWEVER,

Allen Shaw is not a fan of the upgraded crossover route and didn't
    think it did anything to the voicing of his speakers. (paraphrasing)
    His comment was about his anniversary editions.

I'm not saying that modifications aren't useful if you know what
    you are doing. I'm just saying that there are exceptions to the
    Mod is better rule.

Alan Shaw also believes that amplifiers and speaker stands don’t matter. Look, I’m a Harbeth dealer, but I don’t sign off on his perception of audio. Sometimes I wonder if these ideas he spouts are simply veiled marketing to make people believe the speaker is the only thing that matters so spend all your money on those.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,511
    If the DIY project looks like a DIY project typically does, resale value can be very low. I suspect a project like my tube amps would not have that problem.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    Yeah but Bob Carver has endorsed your build, there's a difference and exceptions
    - Not Tom

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,660
    edited September 26
    I seriously doubt few get their money back if they buy a new set of speakers at or close to MSRP. Then, dump a ton of money and time into modding the crossovers. I'm sure very few break even on that deal. I think it would come down to how well a person is connected to a particular community that might be interested in a modified speaker and willing to pay for it.

The same would apply to a DIY set. When you look at some of the builds over at www.htguide.com like the Wavecor Ardent builds. There are some guys doing incredible work that probably won't get the their money back given the time and money spent on some of these project. OTOH, there are some that will pay the asking price for some of these DIY builds. I see guys selling their builds all the time. I doubt there is a profit or break even in the deal once labor is added in.

attachment.php?attachmentid=28377&d=1532791351
    IMGP0100_zps2b736c8d.jpg
    31452560222_45fd9a8054_o.jpg

I think one that goes down a DIY path does it for a different reason and realize there might be a loss on the resale.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    Gorgeous man...wow.

Agreed, a DIY type is usually in it for personal enjoyment, not to resell and make a buck.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,660
    edited September 26
    tonyb wrote: »
    Gorgeous man...wow.
    Agreed, a DIY type is usually in it for personal enjoyment, not to resell and make a buck.
    Yes, they are!
    I keep telling myself that I can build something that sounds and looks good (maybe not as good as the above?) for the HT in the family room. I've been looking at the massive Statements II or Anthology and center channel over on Jim Holtz site:
    http://speakerdesignworks.com/Statement_II_1.html
    http://speakerdesignworks.com/Anthology_6.html
    Plus this BIG center channel: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php?41930-New-center-channels-for-the-Statements-II-and-The-Finalists
    Maybe I give up on this for now and consider some Polks again down the line?

The reality is... maybe I should focus on building a set of small high performing monitors that I want for music listening in the living room.
    Right now the Jeff Bagby SB Revolution Mini Be (Beryllium tweets!) would be a dream build. https://meniscusaudio.com/product/sb-revolution-mini-be-loudspeaker-kit/
    I'm seriously thinking about these: They have the Oval woofer on the back like the Buchardt S400 and are supposed to sound much fuller and play much lower then their size would suggest. Great feedback from the DIY community.
    Revolution-Speaker-Kit-Cabinets.jpg
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster