How do the new L800 SDA compare to the Original Legend SDA-SRS 1.2TL?

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Any SDA really... but the SRS line was the cream of that crop. Hopefully we will have a long future with the revived SDA.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    I hope to own some someday
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Thx. This thread is about 1.2TL & L800 right...

Yes
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    boston1450 wrote: »
    I would prefer to keep this thread open for actual ears on type comments.

Maybe I read it wrong. I was thinking maybe she/he had listened to some & would share why not impressed. Maybe I misunderstood

Right, I was talking about hearing our SDA SRS Speakers in a retail setting versus at home and it was a big difference.
    Someone commented about hearing the new legends in a non home environment and them not sounding quite impressive, and I was sharing my view of SDA speakers in store versus our home.
    Sorry for being vague!
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    K_M I now see you have SDA's. My bad.
    Randy/Maine
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    BC6 wrote: »
    I went back to RMAF to listen to the LS800s today and it was completely different. I loved them. Bass was great. Soundstage was great. There was a definite buzz in the room. People were anxious to get the good seats in the sweet spot. Compared to other speakers I heard, $6000 seems like a great deal. I don't know if they worked on the room or they just weren't broken in enough on Friday. I'm glad I went back. These speakers are really something special.

Very cool! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Deltadon
    Deltadon Posts: 94
    edited September 2019
    BC6 wrote: »
    I went back to RMAF to listen to the LS800s today and it was completely different. I loved them. Bass was great. Soundstage was great. There was a definite buzz in the room. People were anxious to get the good seats in the sweet spot. Compared to other speakers I heard, $6000 seems like a great deal. I don't know if they worked on the room or they just weren't broken in enough on Friday. I'm glad I went back. These speakers are really something special.

If you get a chance, try to find out how many hours that the speakers have been used. Was there a previous break-in period? Can you tell us what type and length of speaker cables were used. Lastly and what electronics (source, preamp, and amplifiers) were used. I would suggest that this information would be insightful to others wanting to put together a similar system for themselves.
  • BC6
    BC6 Posts: 109
    Good thinking. I wish I had thought of it. It looked like their entire stack was Marantz, but I don't know which models. You can sort of see the electronics in the corner.

31y613hdk9ut.jpeg
    2 Channel: Atohm GT-1 speakers, Atoll IN400 integrated amp, PS Audio DirectStream DAC, PS Audio NuWave Phono Converter, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB with Ortofon Bronze cartridge, SotM sMS-200 ultra streamer, SotM sPS-500 power supply, and homemade infinite baffle subwoofer with two Fi Audio IB318 drivers.

HT: All Polk: SDA 2.3tl fronts, CSiA6 center, 500-LS ceiling, RT/FX, RTi8, Monitor 4 rears, plus Yamaha CX-a5100 AV Preamplifier/Processor, Yamaha MX-a5000 11.1 channel amplifier, and Sony XBR55-AE1 OLED TV.
  • F1nut
    A Marantz AVR or pre/pro, Marantz amp and Marantz SA10. It was mentioned to me that the L800 will not work with the PM10, but I don't know why. Seeing as Polk didn't take it to RMAF I have to believe what I was told is true.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    F1nut wrote: »
    A Marantz AVR or pre/pro, Marantz amp and Marantz SA10. It was mentioned to me that the L800 will not work with the PM10, but I don't know why. Seeing as Polk didn't take it to RMAF I have to believe what I was told is true.

No problems with real monoblocks though?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Nightfall wrote: »

That's what I was told.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    Wonder why they didn't go with Classe.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Nightfall wrote: »

That's what I was told.

Strange. I wonder if the user manual will have a small list of things it's not compatible with? Will using a PM10 hurt anything or does it just not produce sound? If it hurts something who's responsible when something super esoteric has been hooked up to these that hasn't been tested and something breaks? Is there legal jargon that says use these speakers with dual mono designs at your own risk? So many questions.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    Wonder why they didn't go with Classe.

Because Marantz sounds better.

President of Club Polk

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    The PM10 is not common ground.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2019
    The coffee shop at Georgetown University, at least when our daughter was there, is/was called Uncommon Grounds.

That seemed like something worthy of mention in the context of the recent posts to this thread.

B)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    FTGV wrote: »

Hmmm thought that didn't matter?
  • F1nut

Correct, it's a bridged dual mono fully balanced switching amp.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

We need some clarification then about whether or not monoblocks will work with the new speakers, or if there is a dreadnaught-type interface on the way.

• F1nut
    edited September 2019
    I was told the design of the new crossover negates the use of an isolation transformer with non-common ground amps. However, there appears to be an exception.

I'm sure we will learn more when they are released.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2

Could it be the high frequency of the switching power supply? Maybe there IS going to be some limitations on amp topography?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2019

edited, my post wasn't "on point" enough, sorry :|

• FTGV

By the looks of the schematic diagram in the patent , the grounds of the dimensional drivers are tied together with the interconnect just like in previous models. I would think a common ground reference would still be necessary.
  • pitdogg2
    Thanks Fred 👍
  • FTGV
    I was told the design of the new crossover negates the use of an isolation transformer with non-common ground amps.
    Interesting.

• nooshinjohn

By the looks of the schematic diagram in the patent , the grounds of the dimensional drivers are tied together with the interconnect just like in previous models. I would think a common ground reference would still be necessary.

I hope that won't be the case. The guys they are marketing these to will want every option available for amplification...

• I'd like to have the opinions of, for example, @VR3 and @westmassguy about whether the crossovers on the new SDAs are "ripe" for upgrading and modifying with better capacitors, resistors, and inductors, as were the original SDAs.

From what I've seen, it would seem very difficult to upgrade the stock crossovers, but I confess to knowing little of value about the subject.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• FTGV
    Thanks Fred 👍
    Well Polk told F1 otherwise so I'm sure they will add clarity to the subject.
  • F1nut
    Can they be? Sure, but there's a lot of components on the board, so it isn't going to be cheap.

President of Club Polk