New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,576
    Hey Boo!!
    2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,619
    Nightfall wrote: »
    rooftop59 wrote: »
    Lady friend?!?

It's his nickname for me. I wish he'd stop putting our business out into public though.
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Hey Boo!!

Here's yous guys song... ;)

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,735
    Oh thank God... I wasn't lied to. The silhouette speaks volumes. Y'all are gonna love what's coming.
  • Polkitup2Polkitup2 Posts: 1,525
    Not much longer....
    idnuud3fqbwl.png

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 4,386
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    Not much longer....

It looks like the clock has stopped. :'(
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,511
    edited August 24
    Nightfall wrote: »
    All this talk about SDA makes me want to puke. Speaker technology has improved since then, get over it.

A lot of people here like what SDA does to the sound stage, get over it.

Probably quite true what you say, but this is a small forum.

Several dozen people on a forum that is dedicated TO the brand in question, is simply too small a sampling of the audio world overall to draw any reasonable consensus of the appeal of a 30+ year old speaker design.

Again not disagreeing with you, but there are simply not a lot of people here.

Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• K_MK_M Posts: 1,511
    edited August 24

Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Electro Voice EV-SIX
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,948
    ///////\\\\\\\
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,657
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    They shoulda played the opening section of Also Sprach Zarathustra behind the animation. :)
    LOL, right! Maybe have the younger generation playing the old piece in a BIG way..... have the '13 Carolina Crown Drum Corps boombastic performance in the background.

BIG Sound, Youthful Movement and Expression, playing the old Legendary tune, with a modern twist!

https://youtu.be/jTIhOFF2P5k?t=81

rfc1asy3am75.png

FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • Curious is it possible the engineers at Polk have figured out a single driver SDA instead of the usual side by side configuration hmmm.
    Yamaha RXA1030, Yamaha CD, Bluesound node 2i, Tidal
    Polk SDA2btl highly modded
    Polk SDA 1C
    Polk CS350 LS x2
    Polk m5jr
    Kimber 8TC
    Sony 55" Bravia
    Wish list SVS sub

• EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,507
    edited August 25
    Curious is it possible the engineers at Polk have figured out a single driver SDA instead of the usual side by side configuration hmmm.

Polk would not need to as it's already been done for the last few decades. It's possible to do something similar to the crosstalk cancellation concept with single drivers in regular stereo speakers through electronics. A Swiss company called Weiss Engineering has been doing some DSP work for DACs in this area lately but the concept itself is not new at all and others have tinkered with crosstalk cancellation:

https://www.weiss.ch/products/dac501-dac502

But, Polk's implementation through SDA speakers has always relied on acoustics rather than electronics. They did put a type of SDA in a few soundbars and used DSP for those, but that is something different than stereo. The space between the stereo and dimensional midwoofers on SDA stereo speakers was critically important for the SDA function. One could certainly make the case that Polk's implementation of crosstalk cancellation has been superior to anything else yet produced, but it is possible something that works better and with greater flexibility may be in the works somewhere given the vast improvements in signal processing technology in the last couple decades.

Post edited by Emlyn on
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • BDTBDT Posts: 212
    Just digging into this.....that said, based on historical experience with the LSi/LSiM launches...they all turned out to be good speakers.

If F1 isn't dogging them......they are legit.

BDT
  • heiney9heiney9 Posts: 24,124
    edited August 26
    Curious is it possible the engineers at Polk have figured out a single driver SDA instead of the usual side by side configuration hmmm.

The SDA properties are now done electronically by an algorithm as seen in many of the (surround) sound bars. I doubt we will ever see a purely acoustical type SDA. The crossover is complicated and the shear size of the speaker is not the current trend.

We can hope for a hybrid as was talked about at the last Polkfest held at HQ before Matt left. An acoustical and electronic approach. That was what...….10 years ago now??? That ship has probably sailed.

*IF* SDA has legs beyond sound bars, it will almost certainly be of the electronic type rather than pure acoustical.

So to answer your question; yes...it's been done (not a single speaker, but a few small speakers).

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass

Pass Aleph 30 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Plus DAC | MIT Shotgun S3 | MIT Z P/C's | updated SDA 1C| SQ Box Touch/Welbourne Labs P/S- Tubes add soul!
  • verbverb Posts: 7,989
    Gotta laugh here! This thread really got off the rails, but good to see it's back on track!

I for one, am very excited and curious about the new offering! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,948
    Ya'll keep guessing.....LOL
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

So I was curious, are these teasers being discussed on other audio forums? I did a quick search and couldn't find any.

I also looked at Polk's YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter feeds, none of which I subscribe to, and it seems like they're not getting a lot of play.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,403
    verb wrote: »
    So I was curious, are these teasers being discussed on other audio forums? I did a quick search and couldn't find any.

I also looked at Polk's YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter feeds, none of which I subscribe to, and it seems like they're not getting a lot of play.

Polk speakers.
    Polk forum.

:#

Go post about 'em @ (well, you know where) and see what response you get. You might get one, and it might be positive; hard to say.
    Post on them? I dare not! It's a dangerous world out there! :)
  • FestYboyFestYboy Posts: 3,735
    F1nut wrote: »

I don't have to... :p
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,922

Wait, so that's not the flagship in the Hong Kong pic?

Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio PP3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Study: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSA Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Studio: SBTouch * Marantz 2270 * Polk CRS+(4.1tl)
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * Sonore microRendu * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * Pass Aleph 30 / First Watt F5 Clone * PSA Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    Beach Den: Dayens Menuetto * Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn / KEF LS50 / Dynaudio Audience 50 / Revel M22
    Beach Study: LG v30 phone * Schiit Aegir * Zu Omen Dirty W/end
    vcwatkins wrote: »

well -- I see no flags :#
  • msgmsg Posts: 5,017
    edited August 29
    And I see no Shjips or Shjips.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
    msg wrote: »
    And I see no Shjips.

mmm -- did Polk get sold to a Dutch conglomerate?
  • vcwatkinsvcwatkins Posts: 1,922
    msg wrote: »
    And I see no Shjips.

Or Hong Kong, evennn.

giphy.gif

Den: Rega RP6 * AT33PTGII * Budgie SUT * Jolida jd9 * Roon (Sonic Transporter) * PS Audio DirectStream Jr. * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Sunfire Signature II * PSAudio PP3 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2
    Study: Roon * Sonore UltraRendu (LPS-1, WW Plat7, Iso Regen, Lush) * ProJect Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * PSA Dectet * DH Labs Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354
    Studio: SBTouch * Marantz 2270 * Polk CRS+(4.1tl)
    Beach: Music Hall MMF5.1se * Speed Box II * DL103r * Lounge Copla/LCRIII * Sonore microRendu * Schiit Yggdrasil * Belles 20a Pre * Pass Aleph 30 / First Watt F5 Clone * PSA Dectet * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl
    Beach Den: Dayens Menuetto * Fostex BK-12m Folded Horn / KEF LS50 / Dynaudio Audience 50 / Revel M22
    Beach Study: LG v30 phone * Schiit Aegir * Zu Omen Dirty W/end
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,639
    The flagship Polk Legend model photo has leaked! Apparently these new mirror-imaged three ways will be cross-promoted with a new, high-end audiophile Technics (Panasonic) product, both sporting the now-classic black and red Polk color scheme.

Note the nod to the hipster/retro market by including both MP3 and CD support.
    Rumors are circulating that suggest the remote control functionality will be managed by a reboot of Zenith's epochal Space Command technology.

:#

They haven't even been released yet, and someone already pushed in the tweeter domes! I'll bet it was Jesse. ;) :D
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
    verb wrote: »

OK, I couldn't resist, so I posted this intro, with a query, on a friendly hifi forum.
    https://hifihaven.org/index.php?threads/a-legend-is-coming-sic.5233/