New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

1151617181921»

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,648
    edited September 2019
    I will be very interested in hearing and seeing how the Legends would integrate with my pair of REL Carbons. It has been eye opening with my Legacy’s but the idea of combining with SDA technology has really been top of mind lately.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    My REL S5 blends so seamlessly with my 1.2TL’s that I don’t even know it’s there.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    On Man....the two ported 10's have a 3dB down point at 32Hz. A sub to mate up with this set will have to bring it! Anything less than a ported 15" (with their already effective Power Port) driven by 1000-2000 watts of ICEpower and built in DSP just won't get it done. I'm sure they would ask $2000-$3000 for such a sub given the microPRO 4000 was $1700 waay back when.. The SVS PB16 should be the target and hopefully they have a couple in their R&D lab for testing as well as all of the ID subs out there.

So, IMO if they don't have plans to offer a sub to mate up with the flagship as well as 10"-12" options then they should stay out of that game. Give them a year... If nothing within that time frame, I doubt they will jump in. The same goes for a surround option...and maybe one with ATMOS Enabled or maybe even wall and ceiling mount height speakers. Give them a year.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • The legend 800 really awesome speakers. The below is my setup, within the apart distance of 2.4m, MLP at 3.3m and angle of more than 20 degree. It's really really awesome sounding

ncv39vvzc5dx.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited January 2020
    I apologize for posting this here but it seemed a little too second-hand to post in the L200 demo reviews thread. Still, I reckon this may be of interest to at least some of you us -- who are interested in correlating what one hears with what one may quantify*. Note that correlation doesn't imply causation** :)and I am not pretending that this poster is an expert in measuring loudspeaker response.

Still, it is interesting to see some data, questionable though its provenance may be.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/polk-legend-l200-on-and-off-axis-measurements-preliminary.10098/

pw9j60sbz5kv.png

... I still wanna see the impedance and phase curves for the L200 :)

* Of course, just because one may measure something doesn't mean it's audibly important (and vice versa) and just because someone can push a button and measure something doesn't mean he/she/they are doing it correctly, much less meaningfully. :p

** https://xkcd.com/552/
    78ka306kphy5.png
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2020
    It's interesting, to me, that the person who did those measurements ascribed a slight forwardness he/she/they hear in the L200 in their room to that little 3k to 4k bump in the (on axis) response.

FWIW, I didn't find then at all forward, but, then again, I am used to Altec-style midrange :*

The 'review' also mentioned a 550 Hz resonance that was particularly noticeable off-axis. I'll admit I didn't do much deliberate off-axis listening when we demo'd the L200, but I didn't notice anything funny that might be expected from a 550 Hz resonance. It will be recalled that concert "A" (A4) is 440 Hz; 550 Hz is reasonably close to "C5-sharp" (aka "D5-flat"), so kinda in the middle of the piano's (fundamental) range (just a bit more than an octave above 'middle C').

https://pages.mtu.edu/~suits/notefreqs.html

4slf3ybcqzzl.png
    https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Piano/Reading_Music
    source: https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Piano/Reading_Music
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2020
    So -- some chatter at ASR (yes... :p ) and elsewhere got me to thinking about "SDA".
    Fueled by three large cups of coffee and a bit sleep depraved deprived :) I came up with the following, not terribly thought out, Gedankenexperiment.

Suppose you had two (human -- or AI, if need be) violinists of equal ability and equipped with equivalent violins. Position those two violins in the positions normally occupied by a pair of properly set up L800s and take a seat in the proper listening position (with or without a beanie equipped with proper measuring equipment!)

Ask both violinists (politely, of course) to play the same thing at the same time. Could be a piece of music, or a single note. The latter might be more amenable to analysis :)

Listen to the result.

Seems to me this would be a reasonable approximation of two point sources similar to two stereo loudspeakers. The "signal" would be, in essence, mono... but the effects of crosstalk between the two sources (I would think) would be quite evident to a human listener with two ears in the traditional configuration :) I suspect there'd be some noticeable weirdness if the two musicians/violins were playing the same note!

Not sure what further 'testability' this model would have, but I thought it would be fun and interesting to try.

B)

t05myul2uxhw.png
    source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereophonic_sound
    (not quite the right illustration but you get the point :) )

by2evcc17tc6.png

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    No more coffee for you.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk