New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

1235722

Comments

  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,275
    edited August 16
    gyosa wrote: »
    I just wish Polk would delve back into the realm of high end, made in America speakers again , like the SDA’s .....
    Instead of Best Buy and Fry’s stuff .....
    That is why my 1c’s will never leave my possession
    These look like they’re made in China ...
    They look cheesy ....

    Bk

    I doubt if that will happen. High-end speakers are a specialty market, not a mass market. I think at this point the owners of Polk are only interested in the mass market; that is “Good enough”.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

    Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,112
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I have a feeling the price is what Jesse has been alluding to. They will be very reasonable, I suspect.

    Huh?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • gyosagyosa Posts: 270
    edited August 16
    Exactly ....
    So sad ...Polk , once an icon , reduced to big box store , mid fi , good enough, speakers ....
    Going for the mass market, big box store non-audiophile market ...
    Trading on the time honored POLK name ....
    Far cry from the 70’s - 80’s ...

    I wanna see a modern day iteration of the SDA’s with high end crossovers and components like ribbon tweets and SEAS woofers , for example - like the “big boys” use ....

    Something to be said for vintage quality ....

    And .... I’m obviously not a audio snob .... look at my sig tag 😃

    Bk

    I doubt if that will happen. High-end speakers are a specialty market, not a mass market. I think at this point the owners of Polk are only interested in the mass market; that is “Good enough”. [/quote]

    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50, Polk SDA 1c’s , Sony 42” - bedroom

    B&K EX-442 , PS Audio 4.6 preamp , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - pool

    PS Audio Stellar S300 , Cambridge Audio 851n , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk Supercharged Songtowers
    Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED , Onkyo TX-RZ610 - den

    Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - patio
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,664
    F1nut wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I have a feeling the price is what Jesse has been alluding to. They will be very reasonable, I suspect.

    Huh?

    All has yet to be revealed...
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,112
    Ah
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,607
    Well -- I'm not atypically clueless.

    :|
  • halenhalen Posts: 494
    And exactly how many here, would buy high end, modern SDA speakers? Much of the same was stated in regards to LSIM at only $4,000 and look how that turned out.
  • motorhead43026motorhead43026 Posts: 3,333
    edited August 17
    ^^ no way I would, too many vintage out there to be had.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; Cables ZU Mission IC's, SC and power cords, all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

    All TV's sound enhanced by Polk Magnfi Mini's.

    Other; S60'S, M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All speakers have had crossover rebuilds, resulting in a small fortune invested in Sonicaps, and tweeter upgrades.

    Political memes posted as fact and accepted as fact, are sign language of the ignorant, for the ignorant

    tonyb said " but even socialists can do a good thing here and there

    Social media makes dumb people dumber and smart people dumb then dumber.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,420
    edited August 17
    halen wrote: »
    And exactly how many here, would buy high end, modern SDA speakers? Much of the same was stated in regards to LSIM at only $4,000 and look how that turned out.

    Thank you! Many of you talk the talk, but are not truly willing to put your money where your mouths are, as evidenced by Motorhead's statement. Don't be hypocrites!

    Polk has always marketed itself as a company that makes good quality products that everyone in every catagory can afford. And it's true which is why they are still in business. In other words they have kept up with the times while some of you are still bitching and moaning about how it was in the past...get over it already times have changed.

    In times past if you wanted audio gear, you had to go to an audio store to get it, but as what usually happens, the bigger stores wanted in on the action and so they started getting that same gear in their stores, people went there to get them and usually at better prices while the higher priced stuff stayed in the audio stores.

    Now the vast majority of the audio stores are long gone and have been for decades, more people are buying direct from the companies that have good reputations online, of which Polk is one of them.

    You tell me where Loren would put a pair of SDA's in his living room, providing his wife didn't toss him and his speakers out onto the street! This is how they are designing homes now, small rooms, lots of windows, a fireplace where a HT should go but can't because of said fireplace.

    People if they are even interested, need compact, small footprint speakers that look like they belong, or at least don't stand out like big, ugly, thumbs.

    If you want to continually live in the past, do so, but stop blaming Polk for keeping up with the ever changing market who are NOT interested in big, fugly, overly expensive speakers, that they have no room to put them.

    Polk is doing what they have to in order to provide the majority of us with well made, good looking, terrific sounding speakers that can fit just about anywhere we want them to.

    If the new line looks similiar to the Signature series, that should tell you something. It tells me, that it is a successful line that is doing very well both in Europe and here in the states.

    Rock on Polk, and good luck with your new line, that the majority of the whiners on here won't buy new anyway because they are too cheap to spend the money.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,112
    cfrizz wrote: »
    halen wrote: »
    And exactly how many here, would buy high end, modern SDA speakers? Much of the same was stated in regards to LSIM at only $4,000 and look how that turned out.

    Thank you! Many of you talk the talk, but are not truly willing to put your money where your mouths are, as evidenced by Motorhead's statement. Don't be hypocrites!

    Polk has always marketed itself as a company that makes good quality products that everyone in every catagory can afford. And it's true which is why they are still in business. In other words they have kept up with the times while some of you are still bitching and moaning about how it was in the past...get over it already times have changed.

    In times past if you wanted audio gear, you had to go to an audio store to get it, but as what usually happens, the bigger stores wanted in on the action and so they started getting that same gear in their stores, people went there to get them and usually at better prices while the higher priced stuff stayed in the audio stores.

    Now the vast majority of the audio stores are long gone and have been for decades, more people are buying direct from the companies that have good reputations online, of which Polk is one of them.

    You tell me where Loren would put a pair of SDA's in his living room, providing his wife didn't toss him and his speakers out onto the street! This is how they are designing homes now, small rooms, lots of windows, a fireplace where a HT should go but can't because of said fireplace.

    People if they are even interested, need compact, small footprint speakers that look like they belong, or at least don't stand out like big, ugly, thumbs.

    If you want to continually live in the past, do so, but stop blaming Polk for keeping up with the ever changing market who are NOT interested in big, fugly, overly expensive speakers, that they have no room to put them.

    Polk is doing what they have to in order to provide the majority of us with well made, good looking, terrific sounding speakers that can fit just about anywhere we want them to.

    If the new line looks similiar to the Signature series, that should tell you something. It tells me, that it is a successful line that is doing very well both in Europe and here in the states.

    Rock on Polk, and good luck with your new line, that the majority of the whiners on here won't buy new anyway because they are too cheap to spend the money.

    Not a clue
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • halenhalen Posts: 494
    Rare few moments I post sober, before 5 pm.. and F1 responds before midnight as well. What is a white walker doing posting at this time, F1? Maybe the stars lined up.

    Anyhow. I hear Motörhead is really good looking. That beast of beauty him. I am honored.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,583
    I hear Motörhead is really good looking. That beast of beauty him. I am honored.

    So true. even K_M would swoon over me.

    I am weak in the knees over you and I don’t even swing that way....

    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

    Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

    “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,112
    Oh boy
    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,112
    If you want to continually live in the past, do so, but stop blaming Polk for keeping up with the ever changing market who are NOT interested in big, fugly, overly expensive speakers, that they have no room to put them.

    A small sampling of recently reintroduced to the marketplace.....big speakers from the past.

    oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

    8o73mdsozeju.png

    888fgflkodmi.jpg



    Political Correctness'.........defined

    "A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."


    President of Club Polk

  • marvda1marvda1 Posts: 3,700
    cfrizz wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So... it's not my place to be doing legal research for, umm, Sound United :* but the post by @vcwatkins got me to thinkin' about the Legend moniker.

    There's this other loudspeaker manufacturer who refers (or, at least, referred) to their brand as A Legend in Sound. :|

    zw9d9oal9y1p.png


    They even have had a Legend Series of loudspeakers.

    02sk2hx40zrw.png


    Is there any trademark infringement issue kind of thing goin' on, here?

    Just... you know... musing.

    5m07f8cww5ym.png

    I muse, therefore I am.

    I don't see a problem Mark. Legend is a common word as is Monster, as is Reference. Now if they had duplicated "Legend in Sound", then there would be a problem.

    Unless you are illiterate, You should know the difference between Polk Legend and Klipsch Legend.

    Monster is a common word but that didn't stop monster from starting legal proceedings against anyone who used the term.
    Amplifiers: MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800,Kinki Studio EX-M1
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Transport/Dac: L.K.S MH-DA004, North Star Design USB dac32, Cayin Venus cd-100i,
    Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkI
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic 2, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Interconnects: Analysis Plus Solo Crystal Oval, Analysis Plus Copper Oval-In Micro,
    Cerious Technologies Graphene Extreme
    Power Cables by: Cullen Cables, 6sons Audio, Swiss Cables
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,429
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you want to continually live in the past, do so, but stop blaming Polk for keeping up with the ever changing market who are NOT interested in big, fugly, overly expensive speakers, that they have no room to put them.

    A small sampling of recently reintroduced to the marketplace.....big speakers from the past.

    oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

    8o73mdsozeju.png

    888fgflkodmi.jpg



    Where the HECK are my SDA's then? LOL
    2-channel
    Yaqin MC-30L, Marantz SA8005, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.
  • cfrizzcfrizz Posts: 13,420
    marvda1 wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So... it's not my place to be doing legal research for, umm, Sound United :* but the post by @vcwatkins got me to thinkin' about the Legend moniker.

    There's this other loudspeaker manufacturer who refers (or, at least, referred) to their brand as A Legend in Sound. :|

    zw9d9oal9y1p.png


    They even have had a Legend Series of loudspeakers.

    02sk2hx40zrw.png


    Is there any trademark infringement issue kind of thing goin' on, here?

    Just... you know... musing.

    5m07f8cww5ym.png

    I muse, therefore I am.

    I don't see a problem Mark. Legend is a common word as is Monster, as is Reference. Now if they had duplicated "Legend in Sound", then there would be a problem.

    Unless you are illiterate, You should know the difference between Polk Legend and Klipsch Legend.

    Monster is a common word but that didn't stop monster from starting legal proceedings against anyone who used the term.

    True, but thanks to the wonder that is the internet, most now know that the owner is a sue happy jerk that should be avoided like the plague. You can now get all kinds of wires in all stores and online that are better made and better priced.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 ch. 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony Bravia KDL-40R510C TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Boston VR-920 Center Channel, SVS NSD-12 SB12 Subwoofer, Polk DSW 400 Subwoofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,913
    cfrizz wrote: »

    True, but thanks to the wonder that is the internet, most now know that the owner is a sue happy jerk that should be avoided like the plague. You can now get all kinds of wires in all stores and online that are better made and better priced.

    True and he like Circuit City, Blockbuster, Kodak and a multitude of others who didn't keep being innovative will go bye bye. Most of his gear is now regulated to Home Depot, Menards and other building material stores at rock bottom prices. Like many other companies who are living day to day on their past in name only, soon that very same name will be bought like Acoustic Research and just put on generic products that no one even cares about and sold at the point of sale counter at the local gas stations and quickie marts.

  • gudnoyezgudnoyez Posts: 7,072
    edited August 17
    All I know is the SDA's are sounding real sweet right now not even interested in anything new.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

    2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

    Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

    Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,664
    I feel like I'm always interested in something new.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halenhalen Posts: 494
    I hear Motörhead is really good looking. That beast of beauty him. I am honored.

    So true. even K_M would swoon over me.

    It is well past 5 now. Is K underscore M a modern version of KY Jelly or something?

    No offense to anyone, I don’t know how to use them smiley emoji faces.

  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,275
    halen wrote: »
    I hear Motörhead is really good looking. That beast of beauty him. I am honored.

    So true. even K_M would swoon over me.

    No offense to anyone, I don’t know how to use them smiley emoji faces.

    Just type a colon ‘:’ and right brace ‘)’ without a space. :)

    Bud - Silicon Valley

    Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,664
    halen wrote: »
    I hear Motörhead is really good looking. That beast of beauty him. I am honored.

    So true. even K_M would swoon over me.

    It is well past 5 now. Is K underscore M a modern version of KY Jelly or something?

    No offense to anyone, I don’t know how to use them smiley emoji faces.

    No. KY is pleasurable.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

    Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halenhalen Posts: 494

    BlueFox wrote: »
    halen wrote: »
    I hear Motörhead is really good looking. That beast of beauty him. I am honored.

    So true. even K_M would swoon over me.

    No offense to anyone, I don’t know how to use them smiley emoji faces.

    Just type a colon ‘:’ and right brace ‘)’ without a space. :)

    Weren’t you the Python guy for Salesforce? Hehe. Gawd I felt like country boy when I saw their crazy buildings.

    Colon and right brace

    Did it work? The emoji?
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,275
    Sorry. I was just trying to help. I didn’t mean to confuse you.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

    Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

    Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

    Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gyosagyosa Posts: 270
    F1nut wrote: »
    If you want to continually live in the past, do so, but stop blaming Polk for keeping up with the ever changing market who are NOT interested in big, fugly, overly expensive speakers, that they have no room to put them.

    A small sampling of recently reintroduced to the marketplace.....big speakers from the past.

    oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

    8o73mdsozeju.png

    888fgflkodmi.jpg


    F1nut wrote: »
    If you want to continually live in the past, do so, but stop blaming Polk for keeping up with the ever changing market who are NOT interested in big, fugly, overly expensive speakers, that they have no room to put them.

    A small sampling of recently reintroduced to the marketplace.....big speakers from the past.

    oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

    8o73mdsozeju.png

    888fgflkodmi.jpg



    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50, Polk SDA 1c’s , Sony 42” - bedroom

    B&K EX-442 , PS Audio 4.6 preamp , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - pool

    PS Audio Stellar S300 , Cambridge Audio 851n , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk Supercharged Songtowers
    Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED , Onkyo TX-RZ610 - den

    Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - patio
  • gyosagyosa Posts: 270
    I rest my case ....
    Bring back modern SDA’s ...

    Bk

    F1nut wrote: »
    If you want to continually live in the past, do so, but stop blaming Polk for keeping up with the ever changing market who are NOT interested in big, fugly, overly expensive speakers, that they have no room to put them.

    A small sampling of recently reintroduced to the marketplace.....big speakers from the past.

    oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

    8o73mdsozeju.png

    888fgflkodmi.jpg



    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50, Polk SDA 1c’s , Sony 42” - bedroom

    B&K EX-442 , PS Audio 4.6 preamp , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - pool

    PS Audio Stellar S300 , Cambridge Audio 851n , Yamaha wxc-50 , Salk Supercharged Songtowers
    Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED , Onkyo TX-RZ610 - den

    Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - patio
  • halenhalen Posts: 494
    I ever say my favorite number is e?

    Okay I can’t deviate more. I look forward to these new Polks.

    Cheers.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!