New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2019
    ^^ no way I would, too many vintage out there to be had.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited August 2019
    halen wrote: »
    And exactly how many here, would buy high end, modern SDA speakers? Much of the same was stated in regards to LSIM at only $4,000 and look how that turned out.

Thank you! Many of you talk the talk, but are not truly willing to put your money where your mouths are, as evidenced by Motorhead's statement. Don't be hypocrites!

Polk has always marketed itself as a company that makes good quality products that everyone in every catagory can afford. And it's true which is why they are still in business. In other words they have kept up with the times while some of you are still bitching and moaning about how it was in the past...get over it already times have changed.

In times past if you wanted audio gear, you had to go to an audio store to get it, but as what usually happens, the bigger stores wanted in on the action and so they started getting that same gear in their stores, people went there to get them and usually at better prices while the higher priced stuff stayed in the audio stores.

Now the vast majority of the audio stores are long gone and have been for decades, more people are buying direct from the companies that have good reputations online, of which Polk is one of them.

You tell me where Loren would put a pair of SDA's in his living room, providing his wife didn't toss him and his speakers out onto the street! This is how they are designing homes now, small rooms, lots of windows, a fireplace where a HT should go but can't because of said fireplace.

People if they are even interested, need compact, small footprint speakers that look like they belong, or at least don't stand out like big, ugly, thumbs.

If you want to continually live in the past, do so, but stop blaming Polk for keeping up with the ever changing market who are NOT interested in big, fugly, overly expensive speakers, that they have no room to put them.

Polk is doing what they have to in order to provide the majority of us with well made, good looking, terrific sounding speakers that can fit just about anywhere we want them to.

If the new line looks similiar to the Signature series, that should tell you something. It tells me, that it is a successful line that is doing very well both in Europe and here in the states.

Rock on Polk, and good luck with your new line, that the majority of the whiners on here won't buy new anyway because they are too cheap to spend the money.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    cfrizz wrote: »
    And exactly how many here, would buy high end, modern SDA speakers? Much of the same was stated in regards to LSIM at only $4,000 and look how that turned out.

Thank you! Many of you talk the talk, but are not truly willing to put your money where your mouths are, as evidenced by Motorhead's statement. Don't be hypocrites!

Polk has always marketed itself as a company that makes good quality products that everyone in every catagory can afford. And it's true which is why they are still in business. In other words they have kept up with the times while some of you are still bitching and moaning about how it was in the past...get over it already times have changed.

In times past if you wanted audio gear, you had to go to an audio store to get it, but as what usually happens, the bigger stores wanted in on the action and so they started getting that same gear in their stores, people went there to get them and usually at better prices while the higher priced stuff stayed in the audio stores.

Now the vast majority of the audio stores are long gone and have been for decades, more people are buying direct from the companies that have good reputations online, of which Polk is one of them.

You tell me where Loren would put a pair of SDA's in his living room, providing his wife didn't toss him and his speakers out onto the street! This is how they are designing homes now, small rooms, lots of windows, a fireplace where a HT should go but can't because of said fireplace.

People if they are even interested, need compact, small footprint speakers that look like they belong, or at least don't stand out like big, ugly, thumbs.

If you want to continually live in the past, do so, but stop blaming Polk for keeping up with the ever changing market who are NOT interested in big, fugly, overly expensive speakers, that they have no room to put them.

Polk is doing what they have to in order to provide the majority of us with well made, good looking, terrific sounding speakers that can fit just about anywhere we want them to.

If the new line looks similiar to the Signature series, that should tell you something. It tells me, that it is a successful line that is doing very well both in Europe and here in the states.

Rock on Polk, and good luck with your new line, that the majority of the whiners on here won't buy new anyway because they are too cheap to spend the money.

Not a clue
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• halen
    halen Posts: 675
    Rare few moments I post sober, before 5 pm.. and F1 responds before midnight as well. What is a white walker doing posting at this time, F1? Maybe the stars lined up.

Anyhow. I hear Motörhead is really good looking. That beast of beauty him. I am honored.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    I hear Motörhead is really good looking. That beast of beauty him. I am honored.

So true. even K_M would swoon over me.

I am weak in the knees over you and I don’t even swing that way....

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Oh boy

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut

A small sampling of recently reintroduced to the marketplace.....big speakers from the past.

oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

8o73mdsozeju.png

888fgflkodmi.jpg

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,851
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So... it's not my place to be doing legal research for, umm, Sound United :* but the post by @vcwatkins got me to thinkin' about the Legend moniker.

There's this other loudspeaker manufacturer who refers (or, at least, referred) to their brand as A Legend in Sound. :|

zw9d9oal9y1p.png

They even have had a Legend Series of loudspeakers.

02sk2hx40zrw.png

Is there any trademark infringement issue kind of thing goin' on, here?

Just... you know... musing.

5m07f8cww5ym.png

I muse, therefore I am.

I don't see a problem Mark. Legend is a common word as is Monster, as is Reference. Now if they had duplicated "Legend in Sound", then there would be a problem.

Unless you are illiterate, You should know the difference between Polk Legend and Klipsch Legend.

Monster is a common word but that didn't stop monster from starting legal proceedings against anyone who used the term.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    F1nut wrote: »

A small sampling of recently reintroduced to the marketplace.....big speakers from the past.

oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

8o73mdsozeju.png

888fgflkodmi.jpg

Where the HECK are my SDA's then? LOL
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • cfrizz
    marvda1 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    So... it's not my place to be doing legal research for, umm, Sound United :* but the post by @vcwatkins got me to thinkin' about the Legend moniker.

There's this other loudspeaker manufacturer who refers (or, at least, referred) to their brand as A Legend in Sound. :|

zw9d9oal9y1p.png

They even have had a Legend Series of loudspeakers.

02sk2hx40zrw.png

Is there any trademark infringement issue kind of thing goin' on, here?

Just... you know... musing.

5m07f8cww5ym.png

I muse, therefore I am.

I don't see a problem Mark. Legend is a common word as is Monster, as is Reference. Now if they had duplicated "Legend in Sound", then there would be a problem.

Unless you are illiterate, You should know the difference between Polk Legend and Klipsch Legend.

Monster is a common word but that didn't stop monster from starting legal proceedings against anyone who used the term.

True, but thanks to the wonder that is the internet, most now know that the owner is a sue happy jerk that should be avoided like the plague. You can now get all kinds of wires in all stores and online that are better made and better priced.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420

True, but thanks to the wonder that is the internet, most now know that the owner is a sue happy jerk that should be avoided like the plague. You can now get all kinds of wires in all stores and online that are better made and better priced.

True and he like Circuit City, Blockbuster, Kodak and a multitude of others who didn't keep being innovative will go bye bye. Most of his gear is now regulated to Home Depot, Menards and other building material stores at rock bottom prices. Like many other companies who are living day to day on their past in name only, soon that very same name will be bought like Acoustic Research and just put on generic products that no one even cares about and sold at the point of sale counter at the local gas stations and quickie marts.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited August 2019
    All I know is the SDA's are sounding real sweet right now not even interested in anything new.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I feel like I'm always interested in something new.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halen
    I hear Motörhead is really good looking. That beast of beauty him. I am honored.

It is well past 5 now. Is K underscore M a modern version of KY Jelly or something?

No offense to anyone, I don’t know how to use them smiley emoji faces.

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

Just type a colon ‘:’ and right brace ‘)’ without a space. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042

It is well past 5 now. Is K underscore M a modern version of KY Jelly or something?

No. KY is pleasurable.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halen

BlueFox wrote: »

Just type a colon ‘:’ and right brace ‘)’ without a space. :)

Weren’t you the Python guy for Salesforce? Hehe. Gawd I felt like country boy when I saw their crazy buildings.

Colon and right brace

Did it work? The emoji?
  • BlueFox
    Sorry. I was just trying to help. I didn’t mean to confuse you.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666

oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

8o73mdsozeju.png

888fgflkodmi.jpg

oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

8o73mdsozeju.png

888fgflkodmi.jpg

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666
    I rest my case ....
    Bring back modern SDA’s ...

Bk

oqv0vki3xo2a.jpg

8o73mdsozeju.png

888fgflkodmi.jpg

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • halen
    I ever say my favorite number is e?

Okay I can’t deviate more. I look forward to these new Polks.

Cheers.
  • BlueFox
    edited August 2019
    gyosa wrote: »
    I rest my case ....
    Bring back modern SDA’s ...

Bk

Other than wasting space by reposting pictures, what case did you make?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    edited August 2019

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • cfrizz
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

True and he like Circuit City, Blockbuster, Kodak and a multitude of others who didn't keep being innovative will go bye bye. Most of his gear is now regulated to Home Depot, Menards and other building material stores at rock bottom prices. Like many other companies who are living day to day on their past in name only, soon that very same name will be bought like Acoustic Research and just put on generic products that no one even cares about and sold at the point of sale counter at the local gas stations and quickie marts.

Really? That's great, I didn't know that justice prevailed! The bigger they come the harder they fall. And it couldn't have happened to a bigger more arrogant jerk!
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Really? That's great, I didn't know that justice prevailed! The bigger they come the harder they fall. And it couldn't have happened to a bigger more arrogant jerk!

Ask anybody born in the 90's to today about the name Monster. I'll bet a good amount of money 97% will come back with Monster energy drink. That is what the name Monster evokes today.

Yes we can agree he slit his own throat with his huge narcissistic ego couldn't happen to a better person.
  • pitdogg2
    that was never in question Derek
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Did you guys know that Monster lost their arse on beats audio headphones? That they were originally sold as Beats by Monster but his son signed a contract without reading it and they lost their patent, research, production and rights to the name super fast....

Fun story of one **** **** over another SMARTER ****.

Google it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)