New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    DSkip wrote: »
    I remember seeing him on some car modding show where he had one custom built for some event. It was hard to watch. The car was really cool in the end though.

I believe it was West Coast Customs and he had it built with a special place for his golden segway....

Or I think that’s the episode....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,160
    F1nut wrote: »
    Jesse seems impressed. That's enough for me to be intrigued....

I'm not sure impressed is correct. Let's say I didn't find anything objectionable in my short demos. I'll also say there is more to come.

As for the colors, as you can see there are 2 and IMO they look better than the LSiM colors.

If more to come means even nicer towers I'm anxious to see that and I like what I'm seeing in the ones shown. About time!!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 666
    Ouch !
    Play nice .....
    😊
    Bk

BlueFox wrote: »
    gyosa wrote: »
    I rest my case ....
    Bring back modern SDA’s ...

Bk

Other than wasting space by reposting pictures, what case did you make?

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,937
    tonyb wrote: »
    For Polk to make a speaker you all want, SDA's with great drivers and crossovers, you wouldn't buy them anyway because they'd be too expensive to make today.

The name of the game is to make money, profit, and you have to sell in volumes to do that. Polk's customer base is not high end buyers. Want a high end speaker ? Plenty of other brands to wet your feet with.

Yep, no one is going to buy 10K SDAs when you can get a pair for less than grand and hot rod them, especially when those hot rodded vintage SDAs would probably be just as good if not better than the new version...

Now I think an updated monitor 7 (and maybe 5) could actually sell, but I still don't think Polk would get the volume they are after...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited August 2019
    tonyb wrote: »
    For Polk to make a speaker you all want, SDA's with great drivers and crossovers, you wouldn't buy them anyway because they'd be too expensive to make today.

The name of the game is to make money, profit, and you have to sell in volumes to do that. Polk's customer base is not high end buyers. Want a high end speaker ? Plenty of other brands to wet your feet with.

naah, not at all (in terms of "too expensive to make today"), from my perspective, at least -- look as the stuff that is made today. Look at the cheap ELACs, e.g., and see what a few hundred 2019 dollars (way, way inflated compared to 1977 dollars) will buy today. Even the middlin' price ELACs are a pretty meaty for the money:

https://www.musicdirect.com/Search?category=ELAC%20Adante%20Series&specials=On%20Sale&sort=popularity|DESC&page=1&pagesize=24&c1=tab-products&c2=grid

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    All this talk about SDA makes me want to puke. Speaker technology has improved since then, get over it.

A lot of people here like what SDA does to the sound stage, get over it.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,190
    Of course, when I speak my opinion, some jack-a-s-s has to say I'm a troll.
    56fwua23h4vr.jpg
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    There are plenty of people here that don't like SDA's, the difference is they recognize that it's not to their taste as opposed to proclaiming they sound like a-s-s and being brash about it.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,699
    All this talk about SDA makes me want to puke. Speaker technology has improved since then, get over it.

Well, in this thread you conveniently deleted you were pretty excited over the possibility of new SDAs based on LSiM drivers, ya hypocrite.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    You can't deny the advances in automobile technology today, that's just a fact.

47snkin0v17j.jpg
  • Viking64

Please do tell, how am I being a troll? I've spent more money on loudspeakers than you will in your entire life.

Anyone that types a sentence like that isn't only a troll, but a total dooshbag.

A total dooshbag that "got their money back", sure....but still. :p
  • Viking64
    You're right, you can't. That car has more GHEYNESS than a 70-80s vehicle. ;)

*fixed
  • Viking64
    Just because my observation doesn't align with yours doesn't make me a troll.

MY observation? :p I posted a picture of a troll doll with a pug's face on it. That doesn't even necessarily mean that I was "saying" that you were a troll. And it doesn't mean that I was giving an opinion on vintage SDA's, either.

You should just relax and enjoy yourself here instead of being a butthurt snowflake.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    ENOUGH!!! Now move on.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Lmao! $10-20k and now back to polks. That made me laugh thanks.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited August 2019
    And the ignore list grows by one... and in only 15 posts. That is a new record!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    PolkAudioJoJo, you've been nothing but trouble from jump. If you don't stop now I will make sure you are gone. I hope that's clear enough.

Everyone else, let's get back on track.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    Really looking forward to seeing, and hearing, one of the two-way bookshelf models when the opportunity presents itself. That's a hot market segment for high value, high performance loudspeakers (IMO, albeit my expertise in modern tastes is a bit limited ;) ).

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Really looking forward to seeing, and hearing, one of the two-way bookshelf models when the opportunity presents itself. That's a hot market segment for high value, high performance loudspeakers (IMO, albeit my expertise in modern tastes is a bit limited ;) ).

Same for me Mark. I am looking forward to the audition when it becomes available.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Absolutely! Not too much longer now.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Who said anything about ordering them?
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,053
    Milito wrote: »
    Sixty eight years old and I just learned something new today. It's a great day! Who would have known.

Sixty six years old, and I agree with you....although I did have a pre-release copy of a Beatles single in 1965.
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Just found this on Twitter

h8wy7qpkgoey.png
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Just found this on Twitter

h8wy7qpkgoey.png

Love it! Breaking Bad movie has been filmed!

Kidding. I look forward to experiencing these.