New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Danny Tse
Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
In case you have not seen these.....

09a3r3rtfch1.jpg

I don't have any details on them.

Comments

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    Btw, here are more photos from the show.....

https://post76.hk/news/2019/08/high-end-avshow-2019/

It's said that attendance is lighter than last year's show.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Wow. That link is like living back in time on a 56k modem.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Not feeling those.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    Well, that cat is out of the bag.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,341
    edited August 2019
    Hong Kong is having a few issues lately. No idea of what the official news release date was supposed to be, but it is tomorrow in Hong Kong. Interesting looking speakers. Looks more evolutionary than revolutionary at first glance, although the newish driver technology and port layout looks fresh. But, they appear to thankfully have chosen to keep on building a large monitor speaker. B)
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    Talk about uninspired, wow
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I would suggest waiting to hear how they sound before judging them?
    Maybe they just decided the LSiM series didn't give them enough of a ROI and they discontinued them.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If they sound great though, toss on that grill and who cares? We'll know soon enough.

Most people do care how they look.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,935
    Im really surprised they stuck with the ring radiator
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,639
    5nved9dtu0n4.gif
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If they sound great though, toss on that grill and who cares? We'll know soon enough.

Most people do care how they look.

They seem like they'll look good with the grills on though is all I mean.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    edited August 2019
    The guys who loved speakers have been replaced by those that love the bottom line. Once you loose the passion for what you do well in favor of the the reward itself, you will eventually loose both. Same thing happens to many superstar athletes once they get the big payday...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    The picture is pretty terrible. That said, the cabinet appearance is a downgrade from the LsiM. The bases look too much like the signature series. I hate piano gloss finishes, so it's good they appear to be offering a choice. The driver wow factor is not there. Sound wise they may be an improvement to the LsiM, but if the top model lists for more than 2K a pair, I think they'll be a tough sell.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited August 2019
    other than the funky mid, I think they look quite nice. I think that is the style right now, simple, elegant, and not overly flashy, yet still modern. not to mention it looks like there is some kind of cr@p on that right speaker which makes them significantly less appealing.

Edit: I'm also surprised to not see a power port under the speaker. maybe it's inside of what looks like a traditional port?
    Post edited by mlistens03 on
  • nooshinjohn
    Based on looks alone, I would say legends in their own minds...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,636
    Jesse seems impressed. That's enough for me to be intrigued....
  • nooshinjohn
    edited August 2019
    They may sing like angels fallen from the sky, but they took a hell of a beating on the way down. I would choose the Signature series over these if the sound was close.

• xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I still want to hear them.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,420
    They should have used a clean damp rag to clean followed by a dry one. That right speaker looks bad. I'd love to hear them and would hope there is a way to attach splkes
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    VR3 wrote: »
    Im really surprised they stuck with the ring radiator

And it looks like an sl2000
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Emlyn
    I'll probably buy a pair of the larger bookshelf speakers without hearing them first. Lots of competition in that market now. Replacing a pair of 707s for home theater with a pair of new floorstanders would be a tough sell though based on what little I'm seeing so far.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    Another pic, quality isn't great though:

high_end_avshow_2019_0152.jpg

Also interesting to see this on display:

high_end_avshow_2019_0153.jpg

• Emlyn
    The similarity in "design language" to the Signature line is obviously intentional, but oddly enough that's odd for Polk across their speaker lines historically except for the 1980s vintage stuff. It will be easier for someone to see what the extra money gets them with better speakers.

I suspect those speakers will sound good with Marantz electronics.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited August 2019
    Here is a picture of our living room, and I think a set of those with a light wood finish would look very nice in here. I offer this purely as a somewhat "trendy" living room.

(note, I'm not in charge of decor or speaker placement, so please save your criticisms. :) )
    f13qgmebpf2p.jpg