New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Danny TseDanny Tse Posts: 5,247
In case you have not seen these.....

09a3r3rtfch1.jpg

I don't have any details on them.

Comments

• la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,806
    edited August 12
    And there they are, polks new flagship models. B)
    Maybe they'll look different in person, but first impression, they look cheesy.
    Post edited by la2vegas on
  • Danny TseDanny Tse Posts: 5,247
    Btw, here are more photos from the show.....

https://post76.hk/news/2019/08/high-end-avshow-2019/

It's said that attendance is lighter than last year's show.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,665
    Wow. That link is like living back in time on a 56k modem.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,891
    Not feeling those.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,125
    Well, that cat is out of the bag.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,530
    edited August 12
    Hong Kong is having a few issues lately. No idea of what the official news release date was supposed to be, but it is tomorrow in Hong Kong. Interesting looking speakers. Looks more evolutionary than revolutionary at first glance, although the newish driver technology and port layout looks fresh. But, they appear to thankfully have chosen to keep on building a large monitor speaker. B)
    Post edited by Emlyn on
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • la2vegasla2vegas Posts: 3,806
    They look like a menagerie of components thrown together, especially that mid driver.
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,571
    Talk about uninspired, wow
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • polrbehrpolrbehr Posts: 2,428
    I would suggest waiting to hear how they sound before judging them?
    Maybe they just decided the LSiM series didn't give them enough of a ROI and they discontinued them.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • ConradiclesConradicles Posts: 5,891
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If they sound great though, toss on that grill and who cares? We'll know soon enough.

Most people do care how they look.
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,571
    Im really surprised they stuck with the ring radiator
    - Not Tom

"No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 5,141
    5nved9dtu0n4.gif
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,665
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If they sound great though, toss on that grill and who cares? We'll know soon enough.

Most people do care how they look.

They seem like they'll look good with the grills on though is all I mean.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,592
    edited August 12
    The guys who loved speakers have been replaced by those that love the bottom line. Once you loose the passion for what you do well in favor of the the reward itself, you will eventually loose both. Same thing happens to many superstar athletes once they get the big payday...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 2,493
    The picture is pretty terrible. That said, the cabinet appearance is a downgrade from the LsiM. The bases look too much like the signature series. I hate piano gloss finishes, so it's good they appear to be offering a choice. The driver wow factor is not there. Sound wise they may be an improvement to the LsiM, but if the top model lists for more than 2K a pair, I think they'll be a tough sell.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,648
    edited August 12
    other than the funky mid, I think they look quite nice. I think that is the style right now, simple, elegant, and not overly flashy, yet still modern. not to mention it looks like there is some kind of [email protected] on that right speaker which makes them significantly less appealing.

Edit: I'm also surprised to not see a power port under the speaker. maybe it's inside of what looks like a traditional port?
    Post edited by mlistens03 on
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
    Based on looks alone, I would say legends in their own minds...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,584
    Jesse seems impressed. That's enough for me to be intrigued....
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
    edited August 12
    They may sing like angels fallen from the sky, but they took a hell of a beating on the way down. I would choose the Signature series over these if the sound was close.

• xsmixsmi Posts: 1,429
    I still want to hear them.
    2-channel
    Yaqin MC-30L, Marantz SA8005, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Klipsch KG-4, Monster Cable throughout.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,930
    They should have used a clean damp rag to clean followed by a dry one. That right speaker looks bad. I'd love to hear them and would hope there is a way to attach splkes
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 6,678
    VR3 wrote: »
    Im really surprised they stuck with the ring radiator

And it looks like an sl2000
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office |Cocktail Audio X14 | KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |
    I'll probably buy a pair of the larger bookshelf speakers without hearing them first. Lots of competition in that market now. Replacing a pair of 707s for home theater with a pair of new floorstanders would be a tough sell though based on what little I'm seeing so far.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Sonic Frontiers Line 3 Preamp; Classe Model 25 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio Power Director; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Parasound JC2BP and A21; Sony 48" 4K TV; Wyred4Sound DAC 2; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,298
    Another pic, quality isn't great though:

high_end_avshow_2019_0152.jpg

Also interesting to see this on display:

high_end_avshow_2019_0153.jpg

"Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    The similarity in "design language" to the Signature line is obviously intentional, but oddly enough that's odd for Polk across their speaker lines historically except for the 1980s vintage stuff. It will be easier for someone to see what the extra money gets them with better speakers.

I suspect those speakers will sound good with Marantz electronics.