Best speaker wire

Comments

• DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,571
    edited December 2018
    You will never convince anyone that has spent a small fortune on cables that it was an insignificant upgrade to their system and you'd have a hard time proving a moderately priced cable colors the sound of your system.

I'm sure this puts me at odds with some of the golden ear crowd here but I for one will invest money in my system where I can definitely hear a difference. As i've said before, however, if you have a $10,000 system you're probably not going to feel comfortable with 16 gauge lamp cord. I wouldn't tell anyone to not spend the money on good cable if you can afford it, but certainly don't feel pressured into thinking it's a necessity.

It appears that you are confusing audiophiles with gearphiles. Audiophiles are lovers of music well played. Gearphiles are lovers of spending lots of money on audio gear for bragging rights. It's a common misunderstanding and misconception among those who are misinformed and lack experience in this hobby. Without exception, all of the audiophiles I have personally met and interacted with could rightfully be called audio "cheapskates", because they (and I) tried to spend as less as possible to get the level of music reproduction they wanted. The fact that some of them ended up with six-figure systems is not an indication of their love for expensive gear, it is an indication of how much it cost before either their ears were satisfied or their wallets surrendered the fight.

I have spent a small fortune on cables and I have often documented in my review threads on this forum that diminishing returns kicked in the higher I went up in cable quality, but the extra incremental performance benefit was worth it to me.

If 16 gauge lamp cord gave me the sound I craved, I would have no problem using it. I say this as someone with speaker cables in my two channel system that had a five figure retail price (but which were purchased for a fraction of that on the used market).

"So hot it burns Mice!"~DK
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Knowledge, without understanding, is a path to failure."~DK
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • K_MK_M Posts: 1,396
    edited December 2018
    "K_M wrote: »
    A wire that carries a signal unharmed is NOT hard to produce nor expensive.

Then why did AT&T spend billions of dollars and decades of research and development on wire designs for telephony, when the wires weren't even going to carry the full range of audible frequencies (just voice frequencies and signaling tones)? Why is there still ongoing research in wire design for telephony if it's such a trivial matter?

Telephone cable design was of interest to telephony engineers in 1909:

nostika), Pilsen, 2018, pp. 1-4.

Abstract: The paper focuses on the estimation of residual stress level present in drawn wires after the production process. The presented method relies on the measurements of magnetic properties of drawn wires. Stress is calculated from a relationship derived from Sablik's theory. The Sablik's extension of the effective field is applied to a description of magnetization curve different from the originally considered.

If the concern is preserving signal integrity as much as technology allows, wire design is not trivial, not easy, and not inexpensive. This is particularly true of a full range music signal with all its transients and complex harmonic structure.

Everything you say simply does not apply to home audio.

We are talking home stereos with 10-20 foot long runs.
    Copying and pasting a bunch of unrelated stuff........................

Stay on topic, SPEAKER CABLES carrying audio with runs of under 25 foot or so.
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• K_MK_M Posts: 1,396
    edited December 2018
    You will never convince anyone that has spent a small fortune on cables that it was an insignificant upgrade to their system and you'd have a hard time proving a moderately priced cable colors the sound of your system.

I'm sure this puts me at odds with some of the golden ear crowd here but I for one will invest money in my system where I can definitely hear a difference. As i've said before, however, if you have a $10,000 system you're probably not going to feel comfortable with 16 gauge lamp cord. I wouldn't tell anyone to not spend the money on good cable if you can afford it, but certainly don't feel pressured into thinking it's a necessity.

There are lots of other factors involved here. Golden "Ears" merely scratches the surface.
    Any change made to a system, results in the listener listening differently and trying to hear a change, hence many times, the heightened awareness and new listening style will hear exactly that, a change or improvement.

Often Post purchase rationalization will come into play. You spend a lot, you expect to hear something darn it!

Often audio peer pressure comes into play.
    Imagine coming onto this forum, having just tried some expensive cables, and saying you heard no difference.........
    You would immediately have several get offended, and hint or openly suggest maybe you do not know "How" to listen....maybe you can not just hear what they hear, or shudder! Maybe you do not have a resolving enough system.

So it is NOT just a matter or trying a cable and either hearing or not hearing improvements or changes or more degraded sound.
    It is the culmination of many factors.

It may not be "Do you hear what I Hear", but "Do you hear what I think I hear"
    Lsi15, Lsi9, LsiC,Rta11t,M5jr+,M4,SDA 3.1TL, SDA SRS 2.3TL, Rti6....Still listing stuff, a work in progress.
    B+W-Sold
    Epos-Now gone
    Infinity-Sold
    Advent-Now gone
    Yamaha A-S801
    Yamaha RX-V377
    Yamaha RX-A860
    Yamaha RX-A3060
    Harman Kardon Hk-350i
    Harman Kardon Hk-........
    Harman Kardon PM-665
    Harman Kardon HK-775
    Pioneer.......Stereo Receiver

• tratlifftratliff Posts: 810
    K_M wrote: »

There are lots of other factors involved here. Golden "Ears" merely scratches the surface.
    Any change made to a system, results in the listener listening differently and trying to hear a change, hence many times, the heightened awareness and new listening style will hear exactly that, a change or improvement.

Often Post purchase rationalization will come into play. You spend a lot, you expect to hear something darn it!

Often audio peer pressure comes into play.
    Imagine coming onto this forum, having just tried some expensive cables, and saying you heard no difference.........
    You would immediately have several get offended, and hint or openly suggest maybe you do not know "How" to listen....maybe you can not just hear what they hear, or shudder! Maybe you do not have a resolving enough system.

So it is NOT just a matter or trying a cable and either hearing or not hearing improvements or changes or more degraded sound.
    It is the culmination of many factors.

I see that you respond and must have read my post but refuse to respond to my specific post.

We understand you will NEVER LET IT GO or GIVE IT A REAL CHANCE. Let others spend the time and take the journey without trying to contridict everything that is said.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, 2 REL Carbon Limited, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• msgmsg Posts: 4,988
    joecoulson wrote: »
    My cable says “all your base belong to us”
    g3kbzw0w3z97.png
    Man, I can swing by and organize that mess for you pretty quick with some wire cutters, tape, and velcro.

I disabled signatures.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,441
    edited December 2018
    rpf65 wrote: »
    Like many skeptics, it really irritated the h*** out of me when I tried their ridiculous and costly advice, only to find out it actually worked.

Should have stuck with a home theater in a box and spent my money on women and liquor, like Redd Foxx.

LOL.....Now that there just made my morning. :) Rock on brotha
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,441
    I liken the cable discussion to cooking. Your in essence trying to create your own recipe, using the best ingredients you can, to create something specifically designed to your own preferences. The quality of those ingredients would be apparent in the final result. Same goes for audio.....

Some can eat Taco Bell every day and be happy. Others who know what real Mexican food tastes like would have another opinion. Venture outside your comfort zones gents, that's how we make discoveries.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • DarqueKnightDarqueKnight Posts: 6,571
    edited December 2018
    [Everything you say simply does not apply to home audio.

We are talking home stereos with 10-20 foot long runs.
    Copying and pasting a bunch of unrelated stuff........................

Stay on topic, SPEAKER CABLES carrying audio with runs of under 25 foot or so.

Please point us to the scientific studies that validate your opinion that the basic performance parameters of audio cables are vastly different for speaker cables of 25 feet or less. Specifically, why are concepts like wire drawing techniques, dielectric properties, cable metallurgy, shielding, etc, inapplicable to shorter length speaker cables? At the very least, you should be able to list the scientific reasons why everything I said simply does not apply to home audio.

Telephone cables come in various lengths, from a few feet to thousands of miles. Whatever the length, the basic science and problems of preserving signal integrity and reducing cable-induced noise are the same.

Here is a reference to a peer-reviewed IEEE study that should be more to your liking, since it is specific to home audio cables:

G. Bucci, F. Di Nicola and E. Fiorucci, "The Performance Evaluation of Hi-Fi Interconnection Systems," 2005 IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference Proceedings, Ottawa, Ont., 2005, pp. 451-456.

Abstract: Audio-cable is one of the most critical elements of a modern Hi-Fi system, mainly because it always introduces distortion and attenuation on the transmitted signal. Today the manufacturers produce cables with different features, suitable to transfer the various audio signals, such as low-power signals (from CD-players, musical instruments) and high-power signals (from the amplifier to the speaker). The performance evaluation of each Hi-Fi connection system requires the measurement of a wide set of parameters that can become critical when frequency increases. In this paper we propose a flexible measurement system for the performance evaluation of a wide set of different high quality cables for professional audio application, reporting also some experimental results.

keywords: {audio systems;cables (electric); Hi-Fi equipment; Hi-Fi interconnection systems; audio cable;signal distortion; signal attenuation; transmitted signal;audio signals; Hi-Fi connection system; flexible measurement system; professional audio application; Hi-Fi equipment; signal analysis; Cables; Power system interconnection; Distortion; Impedance; Attenuation; Manufacturing; High power amplifiers; Frequency; Inductance; Bandwidth;Hi-Fi equipment; audio cables; signal analysis},

The Bucci paper highlights my earlier point that the technical issues regarding preserving signal integrity for full range audio cables are much more complex than those for telephone cables designed to carry voice-band signals.

If designing high performance cable for band-limited voice grade signals is not a trivial, inexpensive exercise, then designing cable for full range music signals is not a trivial, inexpensive exercise either. That means that your opinion and assertion that

"A wire that carries a signal unharmed is NOT hard to produce nor expensive."

is not supported by valid cable science, and is WRONG.

I fully agree that low to "acceptable" audio performance can be achieved with inexpensive cable. It is not true that it is easy and inexpensive to produce wire that carries a signal UNHARMED. The differences in signal integrity among cheap and more expensive, better designed, better constructed home audio speaker cables and interconnects can be easily measured with an oscilloscope.
    "Polk SDA-SRSs are hopelessly out of date both sonically and technologically... I see no value whatsoever in older SDA speakers."~Audio Asylum Member
    "Those who irrationally rail against something or someone that is no threat to them, actually desire (or desire to be like) the thing or person they are railing against."~DK
  • rpf65 wrote: »
    Have to disagree K_M. When I went from no name to Canare wire, thought I heard a little difference, but wasn’t quite sure. After a few weeks, switched back, and noticed that the midrange was less pronounced. Took a while, but got curious again.

@K_M 's experience differs from yours. She once thought she heard a difference in cables, but when she did a blind test, the differences "disappeared". When I (repeatedly) asked how the test was set up and what evaluation methodology was used (specifically, what performance criteria were listened for), she refused to answer.

• PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,112
    edited December 2018

Nope. Try again. There are others who can hear differences in cables that you cannot hear (and that I cannot hear).
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    There is a "golden ear" crowd here, which is to say, there are individuals on this forum who have better hearing, know how to listen, know what to listen for, etc., etc. How do I know? I've sat with them, talked with them, and listened to music with them. They have pointed out changes in sound between equipment (including cables) that I couldn't originally hear for myself. I'm still not in that crowd, but they have helped me learn to listen better than I ever could before.
    Post edited by KennethSwauger on
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,457
    gdphoto wrote: »
    Geezs, I thought I was just asking a simple question about cables.

Haha. No, you fanned the flames is all.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,077

No such thing as 'simple' in this hobby. Or, conversely, simple things for simple minds. Your choice. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,996
    BlueFox wrote: »

No such thing as 'simple' in this hobby. Or, conversely, simple things for simple minds. Your choice. :)

I totally disagree (FWIW).
    Folks certainly do manage to complicate the hobby, but the sum total of comin' up on five decades of fiddlin' with hifi audio has convinced me that simpler is better when it comes to the reproduction of music that sounds like real musicians playing real music in a real environment.

YMMV, of course, but I just wanted to kind of chuck that out there. :|
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    BlueFox wrote: »

I totally disagree (FWIW).
    Folks certainly do manage to complicate the hobby, but the sum total of comin' up on five decades of fiddlin' with hifi audio has convinced me that simpler is better when it comes to the reproduction of music that sounds like real musicians playing real music in a real environment.

YMMV, of course, but I just wanted to kind of chuck that out there. :|

Five decades. Doesn’t sound very simple to me. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 7,072
    tonyb wrote: »
    I liken the cable discussion to cooking. Your in essence trying to create your own recipe, using the best ingredients you can, to create something specifically designed to your own preferences. The quality of those ingredients would be apparent in the final result. Same goes for audio.....

Some can eat Taco Bell every day and be happy. Others who know what real Mexican food tastes like would have another opinion. Venture outside your comfort zones gents, that's how we make discoveries.

Mmm Taco Bell...
    Joey's Gear:
    Current Gear:
    Torus RM15 -> Emm Labs DAC2x and TSDX Transport -> Cary SLP-05 preamp -> Boulder 2060 stereo amp (w/ Audioquest WEL Signature) -> new speakers
    Rotel RA1592 Super Integrated -> Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Rotel RC1570 preamp -> Rotel RB1582 amp -> Focal Kanta 2

Old Gear:
    Speakers: BW PM1 (3.5/5), CM10s2 (3.75/5), BW800D3 (5/5), Rockport Aviors (5/5), Sonus Faber Stradivari (5/5), BW 802D2 (4.5/5), Martin Logan Summits (4.25/5), Martin Logan Vantage (4/5), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (3.75/5), AV123 Strata Mini (3.5/5), ML Mosaic (3.25/5), Onix Ref1 (3/5), Sonus Faber Concerto (2.75/5), SF Concertino (2.5/5), Axiom M22ti (2/5), Polk LSi9 (3/5), LSi7 (2.9/5)
    Source: Squeezebox 3 -> PS Audio Digital Link III -> Cary 306/200 CDP -> Cary 306 SACD -> EMM LABS DAC2X/TSDX
    Preamplification: Rotel RC1070 -> Rogue Perseus -> Cary SLP98 -> Cary SLP98F1 -> Cary SLP05 (sold and then repurchased)
    Amplification: HK AVR330 -> Rotel RB1070 -> Rotel RB1090 -> Plinius SA102 -> Cary 211FE -> Classe M600 -> Boulder 2060
    Subwoofer: Infinity Entra2 sub -> SVS 25-31PC+ sub
  • KennethSwaugerKennethSwauger Moderator Posts: 6,846
    Gentlemen,
    Let's refrain from calling each other derogatory names such as "arrogant". This topic has been more thoroughly discussed than any in the history of audio. There's really not much to add is there?
    "They thought we were too loud, but shoot, I had four army blankets folded over my amp, and the volume level was on 2. I'm used to playin' on 10!" S.R.V.
    There is always something to add.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • PSOVLSKPSOVLSK Posts: 4,112
    My apologies. I honestly didn't mean it as a personal attack, but I can certainly understand how it could have been interpreted that way. Should have chosen my words more carefully.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 2,541
    Roughouts

ee7yh2xrcl16.jpg
    o215qof7c39c.jpg
    txpo85bx6zqg.jpg
    Celery green, baby!
    2.0/3.0 - Marantz: PM8005 w/HT Bypass, NA8005 | Polk: LSiM703, LSiM706c | PS Audio: Duet, Power Port Classic, PerfectWave AC5 x3 PC | Wireworld Equinox 7 IC | AudioPrism Quietline MkIII x7 | Sanus UF30 | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps

6.1 - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pio BDP-51FD | Polk: RTi8, CSi5, F/Xi3, CSi3 | HSU Research VTF-2 MK4 | PS Audio: Quintet, Power Port Classic | DCF124BW x3 SC | Pangea: AC-9SE x2, 14SE, 14 PC | AQ Chocolate x2 HDMI | M850SW | Acoustic Panels, GIK Soffit Traps
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,095
    edited December 2018
    I love this thread, just keeps on giving and giving.

Now if I could just find a killer deal on some AQ interconnects life would be great.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,457
    edited December 2018
    AQ fan here too
    Although wireworld has me intrigued
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 1,244
    It's like watching your favorite movie over and over and over again Ken. :)

Yes, but I wish it was "Rocky"
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: W4S MC-5, AMP2: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • These threads always get "rocky". That should suffice.
  • motorstereomotorstereo Posts: 1,297
    These type of threads I like seeing a "troll" appear as it normally brings out a few well informed members for rebuttal. Then I get the benefit of learning something new.