Do power cables make a difference?

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,030
    Like I said, she's not at all interested in finding out. She won't take polrbehr up on his offer (just like I predicted) and she will rail against any and all attempts to try and explain why cables can sound different.

The reason is because her mind is closed and completely made up. You all might as well be talking to a wall.

There is a point where it's foolish to further engage someone like her. Time to move on, no one is worth this much attention.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Like I said, she's not at all interested in finding out. She won't take polrbehr up on his offer (just like I predicted) and she will rail against any and all attempts to try and explain why cables can sound different.

The reason is because her mind is closed and completely made up. You all might as well be talking to a wall.

There is a point where it's foolish to further engage someone like her. Time to move on, no one is worth this much attention.

H9

First off If I take someone up an an "Offer", it will not be announced publicly but will be done in PM.
    My mind is not closed, but I have a view that I strongly believe in. Big difference.
    You are the one that keeps mentioning me......and keeps saying to not engage me, but you seem quite unable.
    I can not force you to quit replying to me...geez.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    @K_M
    In all sincerity, what is the question here, again?
    Is it that cables don't make a difference?
    Or that cables don't make enough of a difference that a person couldn't tell the difference in a blind test?
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,666
    It doesn't matter what the question or topic is, she will troll it. Then, after the push back gets too much she'll PM a bunch of members to complain and look for support. When that goes nowhere she'll disappear for a bit. It's been the same MO since the day she joined.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• K_M
    edited April 2018
    msg wrote: »
    @K_M
    Or that cables don't make enough of a difference that a person couldn't tell the difference in a blind test?

my original comment was something about......

Why bother arguing over them, when even if there are differences, (which I believe there could be, but quite small) when the proponents are only offering an anecdotal account (which is fine) but does not fit into what I would call close to definitive proof, but just an account of an experience online.

In other words, there is nothing serious enough to argue, as a completely uncontrolled subjective listen, is not worth arguing about pro or con.
  • msg
    I started another thread detailing a bit the Difference File Test Method. It's an easy way for anyone with a computer to see for themselves the differences component changes make.

http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/181790/do-cables-components-make-a-difference-heres-how-to-test-for-yourself
    I disabled signatures.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    K_M wrote: »
    @K_M

Why bother arguing over them, when even if there are differences, (which I believe there could be, but quite small) when the proponents are only offering an anecdotal account (which is fine) but does not fit into what I would call close to definitive proof, but just an account of an experience online.

In other words, there is nothing serious enough to argue, as a completely uncontrolled subjective listen, is not worth arguing about pro or con.

Take your own advice, If there’s Nothing to argue over then give it a rest.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    @K_M

Take your own advice, If there’s Nothing to argue over then give it a rest.
    PLEASE!!

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • msg

Okay. I thought it might be the latter. In answer to this, I created a separate thread, which you've now seen, detailing a process for determining how much of a difference component changes can make by way of an audio difference file, so that one can actually hear the difference.

It's better than measurable, it's an audible demonstration of what's missing. As before, the responsibility lies with you to test/evaluate for yourself. I see now though that you've already got an answer for this, as well - a listener may or may not be able to hear the difference between components above audio playing in the original listening context

For everyone else who subscribes to system component refinements, it doesn't need to be measured by difference recording, nor otherwise proven - it's good enough for them to know through listening that the gains are there. That they're cumulative, and that it all adds to the experience through a collection of nuanced improvements. Everyone knows that's what we're talking about here. Cumulative removal would result in a lesser listening experience.
    I disabled signatures.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,731
    When I recorded a few tracks with different power cords just recently, I had switched my cdp, preamp, & amp back to the stock cords. It was then I realized how much the upgraded cords lowered the noise floor of the music. I'm trying to get a file I can share while maintaining the original file quality...or I will just need to find another method.

I haven't used them in probably 3-4 years since I started down this rabbit hole. What immediately stood out was the slight....."fuzziness"... if you will, surrounding the music or mainly the vocals. The dialog was clear, but the imaging my 2.3TL's provide was not as focused and I was struck by the slightly clouded shrill of the female vocals. Also lost was the finer details of the quiet passages, the last bit of quiet air you can hear from the singer. If you know its there, you can somewhat hear it, but with the upgraded cords, that detail smoothed out and becomes more in focus, cleaning up the subtle details and giving some image depth.....and not as painful to listen to for extended periods.

How critical do you listen? What is your listening environment like? Do you suffer from some sort of hearing issues mainly regarding the higher pitched notes? All that applies to everyone. I wasn't a believer until I tried it myself. The differences may not jump right out, but the more you know a song and the more revealing your gear is, the more pronounced the experience will likely be.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited April 2018
    1st of all you can not blind test power cables...when you turn it off and let it cool down and then plug in a new cable everything changes...as everthing matters....amps need to warm up etc...

audio & science don't go together in a way....

If you need Science to prove your music is good then you missing the whole point of listening to music! Enjoy it or sell it!

don't judge what you have never heard! or tried! or you just talking to be talking!

I don't care what anyone else thinks but me & my ears BUT...I found I can trust many of those Texas Dudes! and they have never let me down! they have helped me down this road like several others on this forum.

Enjoy your ride like I have or give it up!

stick with those cheap patch cables that came with your CD player and that brand new power cable they gave you and count yourself blessed o:)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • K_M
    voltz wrote: »
    1st of all you can not blind test power cables...when you turn it off and let it cool down and then plug in a new cable everything changes...as everthing matters....amps need to warm up etc...

audio & science don't go together in a way....

If you need Science to prove your music is good then you missing the whole point of listening to music! Enjoy it or sell it!

Blind means to listen without knowledge of what is being used.

It is a method of seeing if a difference is truly real to the listener or they are simply perceiving a difference aided by knowledge of what is being used.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,526
    Cool, why don't you drop $100 on a Shunyata Venom 14 and have your husband setup a blind test for you against a stock cord on your source, and see what you think.

Are you afraid that you might prefer the sound of the Shunyata?

It is a method of seeing if a difference is truly real to the listener or they are simply perceiving a difference aided by knowledge of what is being used.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,630
    Shunyata Venom? That sounds like the verbal abuse you would have to take from a Japanese girl when she rejects your advances. :p
  • Clipdat
    Speaking from experience?
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Shunyata Venom? That sounds like the verbal abuse you would have to take from a Japanese girl when she rejects your advances. :p

• Viking64
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Speaking from experience?
    Nope. HAHAHA Back in the 80's, that may have been an interest, but the internet has dulled the appeal, if you catch my drift. :p
  • Clipdat
    "Back" in the 80s? I was born in the 80s..

Sup gramps?
    Nope. HAHAHA Back in the 80's, that may have been an interest, but the internet has dulled the appeal, if you catch my drift. :p

• Viking64

Sup gramps?
    Normally I am one of the oldest members of forums that I frequent. Here? Not so much. :p
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421

Sup gramps?

That EXPLAINS a LOT....
  • Clipdat
    Such as?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    That EXPLAINS a LOT....

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,007
    Such as?
    That EXPLAINS a LOT....

You're too young to hear about such things right now. :#:D
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,421
    Tony M wrote: »
    Such as?
    That EXPLAINS a LOT....

You're too young to hear about such things right now. :#:D

Bingo
  • Clipdat
    Oh I thought you were going to list some actual things, but if you're just flapping your gums then that's cool too.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,901
    I was already getting speeding tickets and chasing chicks in the early 80's >:)

....30 years later, nothing has changed too. :)

Before the thread goes off the rails, like these usually do, bottom line is to tune out all the negativity and simply try a few for yourself, listen with your ears and then make judgements as it applies to you.

It's not hard, doesn't warrant 14 pages of back and forth. You have to approach these things with an open mind, and no wax build up in the ears. ;):)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • K_M
    edited April 2018

Sup gramps?

Same here. early/Mid 80's.
  • Clipdat
    Neat.

I wish you would've replied to this post of mine instead, so I'll just paste it again here:
    Cool, why don't you drop $100 on a Shunyata Venom 14 and have your husband setup a blind test for you against a stock cord on your source, and see what you think.

Are you afraid that you might prefer the sound of the Shunyata?

Same here. early/Mid 80's.

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,119
    When it comes to power cables you need, don't forget the Douglas Connection custom power cable selection. :)

And he will be personally signing autographs in two weeks at Lonestar audio fest
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I'm still not soiling myself and you have moved up to training bras

Hahahahaha!
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.